On to the JAGS

TFBillsfan

24 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I firmly do not believe in trap games. 

they do and they have. Bills are 1-2 (JA 1-1) in the last 3 meetings. how could anyone forget that barn burner  in '21 with JA in JA's head? or the wildcard loss? JA's only win came on 11/21/18

the series is tied at 9-9

The Bills / Jaguars rivalry has been played 18 times (including 2 postseason games), with the Buffalo Bills winning 9 games and the Jacksonville Jaguars winning 9 games

footballdb.com

But what does that history have to do with this week's game?

McDermott is still here, so that has some relevance to the last 3 games.  But we have a different DC and OC.  Josh wasn't even drafted for one of the games, the wildcard loss you mention during which Tyrod Taylor proved definitively he was not our starting QB.  Josh was a rookie for another. 

The Jaguars have gone through 4 HC and 3 starting QB in that time.

Edited to add:

I think the relevance of the 'history' is that embarrassing 6-9 loss, during which the Bills demonstrated that if you don't take a team, any team, seriously; if you don't prepare hard and play hard every week; you can and will get your ass handed to you on Any Given Sunday in the NFL.

I'm pretty sure that is NOT a message the Bills coaches will neglect, but I'm also pretty sure it has less to do with Jags head to head history.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think the relevance of the 'history' is that embarrassing 6-9 loss, during which the Bills demonstrated that if you don't take a team, any team, seriously; if you don't prepare hard and play hard every week; you can and will get your ass handed to you on Any Given Sunday in the NFL.

I will never forget sitting in the stadium that day dumbfounded as to what I was witnessing in person. 

5 hours ago, Pete said:

The Bills are going to smash the Chiefs when they play them.  The Bills have eclipsed the Chiefs in talent by a long shot, and Josh has surpassed Mahomes.

To me it is all about the post season. Obviously you want the team to win but whether they win or lose against the Chiefs in the regular season doesn't matter much to me. It is all about performing come playoff time.

Just now, billieve420 said:

To me it is all about the post season. Obviously you want the team to win but whether they win or lose against the Chiefs in the regular season doesn't matter much to me. It is all about performing come playoff time.

True.  However the regular season determines whether we play KC in Arrowhead or in Orchard Park. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

We have played them 18 times and the record is dead even at 9-9. We have scored 374 points against them. They have scored 369. We have had hard time against them for whatever reason. Even when they have sucked

I hate playing those guys. The only fond memory I have was being at the game in 1998 when Flutie scored on the naked bootleg. 

otherwise, I can recount a parade of horrible games against the Jags (1996 playoff loss, which I had to listen to on the radio since we didn’t even sell out and I got blacked out on TV; 2004 home opener where they scored on the last play; EJ yahoo streaming mess in London; playoff loss with Tyrod at the helm; urban Meyer debacle). 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Me too. If they tried to keep pace with the locals, well, a pint every 45 minutes for twelve hours should soften them up nicely.

Yup. 

Those folks can drink. I have worked with plenty of folks from Ireland (company had sites there) and with Germans from Leverkusen.

Thought I could hold my own 😅. Not so much, they can drink beer (and wine) like it is water.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I will never forget sitting in the stadium that day dumbfounded as to what I was witnessing in person. 

I wasn't there, but it was horrible enough to watch on TV. 

Pittsburgh foreshadowed that game, and it was like we'd learned nothing from that loss.  Fundamentally, if there's one thing Urban Meyer knew how to do, it's shut down a spread offense.  So what did we show him?  Exactly what he knew how to do.  Fourteen rush attempts, total, and 5 of them were Josh.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I hate playing those guys. The only fond memory I have was being at the game in 1998 when Flutie scored on the naked bootleg. 

otherwise, I can recount a parade of horrible games against the Jags (1996 playoff loss, which I had to listen to on the radio since we didn’t even sell out and I got blacked out on TV; 2004 home opener where they scored on the last play; EJ yahoo streaming mess in London; playoff loss with Tyrod at the helm; urban Meyer debacle). 

I remember every one of those games -- and listening to the playoff game on the freaking radio. 

Don't forget this one, where TO had the 98 yard TD reception: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200911220jax.htm. Jax won in the last minute.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

The Flutie game is a nice memory. I will be choosing that game in my "upcoming opponents where we are playing them" game videos I post every Saturday. But all those other games are absolutely brutal. And things I would love to erase from memory. I remember just being speechless in a bad way on that season opening loss in 04. That was ridiculous. And the Urban Meyer game in 2021 probably being the worst

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I remember every one of those games -- and listening to the playoff game on the freaking radio. 

Don't forget this one, where TO had the 98 yard TD reception: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200911220jax.htm. Jax won in the last minute.

oh geez. I totally forgot about that 2009 game. The TO catch is memorable. But looking at that box score, what a forgettable team that was. 

11 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

The Flutie game is a nice memory. I will be choosing that game in my "upcoming opponents where we are playing them" game videos I post every Saturday. But all those other games are absolutely brutal. And things I would love to erase from memory. I remember just being speechless in a bad way on that season opening loss in 04. That was ridiculous. And the Urban Meyer game in 2021 probably being the worst

that 2004 loss will live with me forever. I screamed when Wilford caught the TD to win the game, and it caused my newborn nephew to burst into tears. He is now 19 years old, and I tell him that story! 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

I just popped over to Finheaven, and I learned some interesting things. 

1. Last week was the BIlls Superbowl because we wanted revenge for them almost beating us in the playoffs
  2. We are about to go on a losing streak starting with a loss in London while the Fins won't lose another game.

I'm so relieved that I have my Sundays free. On a serious note; how in the heck are they more confident after getting whupped than we are after a huge win? Also, get ready for the media to jump fully aboard the Fins bandwagon again because they play the Giants and Panthers at home in the oven over the next two weeks. 

• Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, 90sBills said:

Must win game to keep the momentum going. Can’t afford a slip up here to an inferior opponent. 

This feels like in men's tennis when a player gets a break they have to hold on their next service game to consolidate the break. 

Just popped over to the Jags board, and all they are talking about is the 9-6 game in 2021.

I blame the last Jags game loss on Daboll and Daryl Williams. Williams got beat nonstop. The Jags were in Allen's lap the entire game.

I blame Daboll, because he had zero flexibility to adjust. Maybe some running plays? Maybe some quick passes that don't take forever to develop? No? Just let your QB stand back there and get killed when it is obvious the offensive line can't pass protect that day?

Both of those guys are gone, so feeling better about this one being a W.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, DapperCam said:

I blame the last Jags game loss on Daboll and Daryl Williams. Williams got beat nonstop. The Jags were in Allen's lap the entire game.

I blame Daboll, because he had zero flexibility to adjust. Maybe some running plays? Maybe some quick passes that don't take forever to develop? No? Just let your QB stand back there and get killed when it is obvious the offensive line can't pass protect that day?

Both of those guys are gone, so feeling better about this one being a W.

Wasn't Dion sick or hurt in that game so we had to start Spencer Brown at left tackle and didn't we have depth players playing guard? I seem to recall our offensive line played downright offensively that game.

7 minutes ago, uninja said:

Wasn't Dion sick or hurt in that game so we had to start Spencer Brown at left tackle and didn't we have depth players playing guard? I seem to recall our offensive line played downright offensively that game.

Looking at the snap counts, it was Dion Dawkins and Williams at the OTs and Cody Ford and Ike at the OGs and Morse at C for 100% of the snaps. Spencer Brown didn't see the field that game.

10 minutes ago, uninja said:

I remember Williams was supposed to be playing RG, but had to kick out to RT for some reason with terrible results. There was some sort of injury situation.

20 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

This feels like in men's tennis when a player gets a break they have to hold on their next service game to consolidate the break. 

Just popped over to the Jags board, and all they are talking about is the 9-6 game in 2021.

Absolutely! Or in golf following a birdie with a double bogey. Yeah if they lose to the Jags again it would be as inexplicable as that 9-6 loss.

26 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

the 9-6 game in 2021– those were the glory days for them, huh? 

also, I can’t even believe there is a jags fan board. 

50 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I just popped over to Finheaven, and I learned some interesting things. 

1. Last week was the BIlls Superbowl because we wanted revenge for them almost beating us in the playoffs
  2. We are about to go on a losing streak starting with a loss in London while the Fins won't lose another game.

I'm so relieved that I have my Sundays free. On a serious note; how in the heck are they more confident after getting whupped than we are after a huge win? Also, get ready for the media to jump fully aboard the Fins bandwagon again because they play the Giants and Panthers at home in the oven over the next two weeks. 

This is especially rich given their talking points before the game.