Poyer OUT Sunday

Big Blitz

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Which makes me think about that McDermott conversation on mic’d up during camp. I found it odd McDermott went over to Poyer to tell him how fast he looked. It was just an odd moment.

I don’t recall anybody getting past Poyer in coverage or getting burnt over the top. Safeties have done a great job of keep everything in front of them.  Guy is going into his 12th year so of course he’s gonna lose some speed, but he’s got amazing instincts and is almost always in the right place.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I don’t recall anybody getting past Poyer in coverage or getting burnt over the top. Safeties have done a great job of keep everything in front of them.  Guy is going into his 12th year so of course he’s gonna lose some speed, but he’s got amazing instincts and is almost always in the right place.  

Poyer was particularly terrible vs Miami in the playoffs. He’s carried his bad play in the playoffs into this season. Not good for an aging player.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Hamlin is simply not a great player. I think that fact may have gotten lost in the fray because we were (rightfully so) worried for his life and well being. I went into training camp thinking he may be a cut candidate.

So did the media. They even asked McD if Hamlin was kept because of the bad optics a cut would bring but McD said it wasn’t anything like that at all. Said the players all know who’s deserving of a roster spot and who isn’t, so if Hamlin wasn’t it wouldn’t have gone over well with the players. Also cited his starting experience. We need to get younger and faster at that position next offseason.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Hamlin is simply not a great player. I think that fact may have gotten lost in the fray because we were (rightfully so) worried for his life and well being. I went into training camp thinking he may be a cut candidate.

He's a #4 safety. Can you point out to me what teams #4 safety can be considered a "great" player? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Logic said:

We only lost one of three games to the Dolphins last year. It happened to be the one where we were missing one of our starting safeties.

Ummmmm… we were missing at least one of our starting safeties for all three games against Miami last season… 🤦‍♂️

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Poyer was particularly terrible vs Miami in the playoffs. He’s carried his bad play in the playoffs into this season. Not good for an aging player.

When has been Poyer been exposed this year or allowed a TD? I want a specific play. I’m not talking about a 12 yard reception. 

1 minute ago, LLCoolCy said:

Couple of Elam's best games last year were vs the Dolphins, not like he's not familiar with playing them. I was thinking Elam would be active regardless of the Poyer news. His speed is the one aspect needed in this matchup. 

As for Poyer, it is a loss for sure. In my mind more for the communication and being in the right position. Having Poyer on a gimpy knee would have been a larger issue than playing Rapp/Hamilin/Neal. Rapp would have been signed to be Poyer's replacement if he would have left this summer thus the staff see him as good fit.

Let me start by saying I want Elam to be playing, not just this week but week in and week out. Or at least dressing. I am not questioning McD on keeping him a healthy scratch, it is just what I would like to see out of our first round pick. 

That said, if Elam has this super secret value add when in comes to Tyreek he would likely be dressing on other Sunday's too because that should be a valuable skill set against other less explosive players too. 

I didn't realize it until I posted a few minutes ago about cover 3. But I realized we have a ton of utility in our back 7, especially at DB. Tre, Jackson, and Benford have some ability to drop back. Milano and Bernard have great coverage ability as a LB tandem. So in that scenario I don't know if Elam's healthy scratches are necessarily a condemnation on his skill set. Rather everybody else has allows for a lot of versatility. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Benford to Safety Elam and Jackson rotate at CB just seems the logical move.  I know we won’t but the skill sets just tell me that.   

This isn't Madden. Our defense is very complex and nuanced at safety. Luckily Poyer and Hyde are cerebral with it. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

When has been Poyer been exposed this year or allowed a TD? I want a specific play. I’m not talking about a 12 yard reception. 

The one play against the Steelers in preseason he looked dreadfully slow but he hasn't looked bad since season started. 

12 minutes ago, babulator said:

I feel like  all the talk about McDaniels O being revolutionary has not been lost on McDermott. I wouldn't be surprised if he introduces some new wrinkles to the D this week. I also feel like the answer to Miami is mixing in some man or man/zone coverage against them. That's the consensus to stopping the Cheetah isn't it, disrupting him off the line? I feel like thats Elams biggest strength, getting hands on and disrupting people off the line. This is when we need him, a roster spot is open, I think he plays.

I’m not saying you’re wrong about his skills and if Elam was part of the CB platoon I would agree.

I just can’t see him going from inactive to lining up against maybe the best WR in the league.

I still would bet he’s inactive and they call Hamlin up as they only have 3 safeties now, but I could be wrong for sure 

4 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

He’s allowed 6 catches on 8 targets (75%) for 94 yards (15.7 YPC). 

Most of bad tape is from week 1.

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy

20 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Benford to Safety Elam and Jackson rotate at CB just seems the logical move.  I know we won’t but the skill sets just tell me that.   

One injury and you think we're going to have our starting cornerback who plays 100% of snaps switching positions? Lol

2 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I’m not saying you’re wrong about his skills and if Elam was part of the CB platoon I would agree.

I just can’t see him going from inactive to lining up against maybe the best WR in the league.

I still would bet he’s inactive and they call Hamlin up as they only have 3 safeties now, but I could be wrong for sure 

As long as we get the Dub (W)! Go Bills!

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

A misuse of the word “great” doesn’t take away the fact that Hamlin is the #5 safety on this team and is mediocre at best. Poor coverage guy, this is NOT the week to start him. 

Ok. Even classified as a #5 safety...point to me a team with other than mediocre #5 safeties? By your definition not mine.

I will agree that coverage is not his strong suit. I see him more of a in the box safety which he is not bad at at all IMO. 

1 hour ago, Logic said:

This is bad news.

This is one week where you reallllly want to have your top safeties in place.

Anyone thinking "it's not too big a deal" or "maybe it's a good thing because he's old now", well...I think you're dead wrong.

We only lost one of three games to the Dolphins last year. It happened to be the one where we were missing one of our starting safeties.

Let's hope Taylor Rapp is up to the challenge. Opportunity is, um...rapping at his chamber door? Sorry. I'll see myself out.

We were missing both starting safeties, Dane Jackson and Tre White .... and Benford broke his hand during the game.  We had Ja'Marcus Ingram -a PS callup - getting major snaps.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

Ok. Even classified as a #5 safety...point to me a team with other than mediocre #5 safeties? By your definition not mine.

I will agree that coverage is not his strong suit. I see him more of a in the box safety which he is not bad at at all IMO. 

He’s a good depth player, but Miami isn’t the team you want him filling in for. IMO Lewis is the better cover safety, I’d like him or Rap to get the start. 

1 minute ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

You mean convert him to safety? That would be interesting. Aaron Williams of the Bills was drafted very high as well. After a lackluster first 2 seasons, they moved him to safety where he did pretty well. 

I think that is in the realm of possibilities next summer, but not in-season. Elam took zero snaps at safety if I recall correctly 

33 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

No, it was Cam Lewis. He beat himself up about it after the game, said all the right things “I’m not a selfish player.” Also said he cried about it. Still can’t understand why he didn’t volleyball spike it with one hand rather than try to pick it off. 

and then a few weeks later, Lewis plowed into the Miami punter, giving Miami a first down.  They ultimately scored.

6 minutes ago, arcane said:

I much prefer having Hyde + backup SS to last year dealing with having Poyer + backup FS

Poyer was hurt also last year. Plus he’s declining. Hyde hasn’t shown decline yet. So pretty big difference. I agree. Plus Rapp and Hamlin have experience starting. I just don’t think Rapp is very good.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.