Madden game impact on today's coaches

PromoTheRobot

You can use the keyboard shortcut CTRL+A to select everything on the page, then copy/paste it into Notepad and delete/ignore the non-article text.  

It doesn't work on some sites but it did with this one.  

Edited by Capco
  • Like (+1) 2

Interesting story. It's true that video games are one of the ways that kids first interact with sports nowadays. My kids play soccer. Their coaches taught them technique and ball skills. FIFA taught them tactics. If you turn the level up, you cannot run the ball past the defense. You have to build from the back and down the wings. You have to be patient. If you get a lead, you have to adjust your formation to defend it. It's a lot easier to see this by playing the game than it is by watching TV where all you see is the one player with the ball. Same thing with Madden. I think that some of the old guys on here should give it a try. If they played on all-Madden level they would throw INT after INT by trying to hit these guys that they see on TV and think are open when in fact there's a safety waiting to jump the route.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

Interesting story. It's true that video games are one of the ways that kids first interact with sports nowadays. My kids play soccer. Their coaches taught them technique and ball skills. FIFA taught them tactics. If you turn the level up, you cannot run the ball past the defense. You have to build from the back and down the wings. You have to be patient. If you get a lead, you have to adjust your formation to defend it. It's a lot easier to see this by playing the game than it is by watching TV where all you see is the one player with the ball. Same thing with Madden. I think that some of the old guys on here should give it a try. If they played on all-Madden level they would throw INT after INT by trying to hit these guys that they see on TV and think are open when in fact there's a safety waiting to jump the route.

Good analysis. I always think back to youth and HS soccer where it was a free for all with little strategy. Then I play FIFA and realized it’s about ball control. 

3 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

I think that some of the old guys on here should give it a try. If they played on all-Madden level they would throw INT after INT by trying to hit these guys that they see on TV and think are open when in fact there's a safety waiting to jump the route.

I have played Madden since the second game came out back in 1991, John Madden Football '92....

...HOWEVER...

There are many of us who stopped buying this POS product way back in 2020 because it is not real simulation NFL football, but an arcade-like version of NFL football. The animation based "Frostbite Engine" they use is utter crap, and everything funnels to MUT. NO "old guys" should be playing the current versions of Madden- EA should lose its exclusivity and a real quality product from hopefully 2K will be made. Save your time and money because Madden isn't it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I have played Madden since the second game came out back in 1991, John Madden Football '92....

...HOWEVER...

There are many of us who stopped buying this POS product way back in 2020 because it is not real simulation NFL football, but an arcade-like version of NFL football. The animation based "Frostbite Engine" they use is utter crap, and everything funnels to MUT. NO "old guys" should be playing the current versions of Madden- EA should lose its exclusivity and a real quality product from hopefully 2K will be made. Save your time and money because Madden isn't it.

This years Madden is much better but still miss 2k

Can someone post article 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

Yep. I learned club selection and took my initial interest in golf from tiger woods. Was the best drinking game of all time lol

Also can say it took a pretty basic understanding of hockey, and helped me understand what I'm looking at. Cycling the puck for open looks. Not having your forwards bunch up in the middle, dumping the puck and forecheck.

Pretty cool thing for the kids to have around now

...HOWEVER...

There's a fraction of the Madden community who is bitter .. like your post

But the game is 100 times better than it was 15 years ago... And it is better than the glorified NFL 2K6 or whatever that people hold in such high regard

Time does age things to much ... Madden has improved dramatically 

Coming from someone who has owned every single Madden ... sure it has faults .. but it's came light-years from Madden 99 or 01

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

There's a fraction of the Madden community who is bitter .. like your post

But the game is 100 times better than it was 15 years ago... And it is better than the glorified NFL 2K6 or whatever that people hold in such high regard

Time does age things to much ... Madden has improved dramatically 

Coming from someone who has owned every single Madden ... sure it has faults .. but it's came light-years from Madden 99 or 01

Madden 99 was a bare bones game I played in the barracks after boot camp... comparing it to Madden 24 is ridiculous. It was on the N64!

LMAO You're a part of the problem. It's a garish cartoon presentation of NFL football which has animations run the gameplay instead of the actual way NFL football is played. Every year they crank out new buzzwords like this year's gem- "Sapien Technology" and you fall for it hook, line and sinker.

The ratings for the game have been ABYSMAL over the last 3 years and that's a fact. Here are the critic ratings by year:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/madden-nfl-18/ 82 rating

https://www.metacritic.com/game/madden-nfl-19/ 80 rating

https://www.metacritic.com/game/madden-nfl-20/ 76 rating

THEN....

https://www.metacritic.com/game/madden-nfl-21/ 63 rating

https://www.metacritic.com/game/madden-nfl-22/ 68 rating

https://www.metacritic.com/game/madden-nfl-23/ 69 rating

https://www.metacritic.com/game/madden-nfl-24/ 65 rating

People are going to get fired over the course of the year because of Madden 24, a "make or break" release. You're on the wrong side of history.

https://insider-gaming.com/madden-24-make-or-break-release/

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

Madden 99 was a bare bones game I played in the barracks after boot camp... comparing it to Madden 24 is ridiculous. It was on the N64!

LMAO You're a part of the problem. It's a garish cartoon presentation of NFL football which has animations run the gameplay instead of the actual way NFL football is played. Every year they crank out new buzzwords like this year's gem- "Sapien Technology" and you fall for it hook, line and sinker.

The ratings for the game have NEVER BEEN LOWER and that's a fact. People are going to get fired over the course of the year because of Madden 24, a "make or break" release. You're on the wrong side of history.

https://insider-gaming.com/madden-24-make-or-break-release/

The retings are low because people have became never Madden guys like you and they attack the ratings

There's millions of people who buy it yearly for a long time and take it for what it is

If you take it for face value as a game .. a game to play for fun with your friends or your kids

I don't think it's garbage.. I take it as a game 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2023 at 9:29 PM, Buffalo716 said:

The retings are low because people have became never Madden guys like you and they attack the ratings

There's millions of people who buy it yearly for a long time and take it for what it is

If you take it for face value as a game .. a game to play for fun with your friends or your kids

I don't think it's garbage.. I take it as a game 

Some people hate Operation because there isn't any real blood. MouseTrap doesn't come with any real mice...and they will NOT take Monopoly money at the grocery store.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Some people hate Operation because there isn't any real blood. MouseTrap doesn't come with any real mice...and they will NOT take Monopoly money at the grocery store.

AND! No real ammunition for battleship! 😀

• Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

My nephew is super smart

He literally modded his computer into thinking it's a PlayStation... And is playing NCAA 14 the last college football game ever made

And it's updated to 2023 via modding

Way over my head but cool

I assume if you play as Michigan, you’re able to steal the other team’s play calls then?

I used to play Madden for $ when I was younger. My older brother would set up these matches with guys he knew from school. Won a lot of money (for my brother). I used to play a lot of ranked matches on xbox live. Claim to fame was I once defeated #2 ranked player in the world at the time. I always played with the Bills with JP at quarterback so I was always at a disadvantage as well lol.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 9/20/2023 at 11:27 AM, FrenchConnection said:

RIP NFL 2K as that series was a lot better in terms of actual simulation football.

12 hours ago, Alpo Chino said:

I used to play Madden for $ when I was younger. My older brother would set up these matches with guys he knew from school. Won a lot of money (for my brother). I used to play a lot of ranked matches on xbox live. Claim to fame was I once defeated #2 ranked player in the world at the time. I always played with the Bills with JP at quarterback so I was always at a disadvantage as well lol.

Was probably me. I made a lot of money off of madden in high school and college. My high school guidance counselor told my parents I was selling drugs because I’d collect on Monday at school.

When online play started I was ranked in top 5 for a while. Highest I got was #2, I got beat 4 times in a row once I hit the second spot and college started shortly after so didn’t play for a while. 

There used to be a madden tour or something where they’d have tournaments at local malls. Idk why I never entered them. If I was near one I’d show up before it started when they had practice and I’d roll everyone and leave.

I learned the basic audible plays like the back of my hand and use 6 other plays on offense and defense combined. I’d blitz like crazy the first drive then play very conservative the second then back to crazy then a blend of two plays the rest of the game.

Now I rarely play the games I just build a franchise. 

Edit- now that I think about it my friend was making fun of me for losing to JP when I was ranked so it def could be you. IIRC it was a low scoring game dominated by defense and Bills scored late on a long run or short pass with long rac for TD. I used to use ravens or chargers a lot 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Shocked 1

48 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Was probably me. I made a lot of money off of madden in high school and college. My high school guidance counselor told my parents I was selling drugs because I’d collect on Monday at school.

When online play started I was ranked in top 5 for a while. Highest I got was #2, I got beat 4 times in a row once I hit the second spot and college started shortly after so didn’t play for a while. 

There used to be a madden tour or something where they’d have tournaments at local malls. Idk why I never entered them. If I was near one I’d show up before it started when they had practice and I’d roll everyone and leave.

I learned the basic audible plays like the back of my hand and use 6 other plays on offense and defense combined. I’d blitz like crazy the first drive then play very conservative the second then back to crazy then a blend of two plays the rest of the game.

Now I rarely play the games I just build a franchise. 

Edit- now that I think about it my friend was making fun of me for losing to JP when I was ranked so it def could be you. IIRC it was a low scoring game dominated by defense and Bills scored late on a long run or short pass with long rac for TD. I used to use ravens or chargers a lot 

Wow it may actually have been you. I remember the game quite well now that I think about it. It was in fact a very defensive game. Something like 16-17. I scored on a play right before the half. I had the ball deep in my own territory like around the 10 or 15. About :50 seconds left in the half. First play, I ran a dive to make it look like I was running the clock. Second play, I ran the same play but play-action and went deep to Lee Evans. My only other score was a defensive TD. And I kicked a 52 yard FG as time expired iirc. I think it was vs Titans, could have been Ravens . Best defense I had ever played against. 

A bit off topic, anyone remember the 80's Nintendo Ice Hockey game? you had to choose a 3-player team.  Any combination of a fat guy, a skinny guy and/or a medium guy. Played the heck outa that game. Got off a night shift and me and some coworkers started drinking at 9am. Played that game for about 10 hours.

NES.jpg.0e7235390362691805daf7e7feeae94b.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/20/2023 at 6:04 PM, EasternOHBillsFan said:

...HOWEVER...

I don’t agree. I’m probably what you’d consider an “old guy” and I bought the new one mostly because if the Allen cover. I’m surprised how fun I find it. I exclusively play MUT. New challenges and cards every week. It keeps it fun and engaging. 

Sure, there are people that take it too seriously and spend $100’s on packs, which is why I keep it to solo games and challenges. For what I use it for, I’m definitely getting my moneys worth out of it. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

A bit off topic, anyone remember the 80's Nintendo Ice Hockey game? you had to choose a 3-player team.  Any combination of a fat guy, a skinny guy and/or a medium guy. Played the heck outa that game. Got off a night shift and me and some coworkers started drinking at 9am. Played that game for about 10 hours.

NES.jpg.0e7235390362691805daf7e7feeae94b.jpg

I always used the skinny guys haha.

On 9/20/2023 at 6:04 PM, EasternOHBillsFan said:

...HOWEVER...

You just have to mess with the sliders. The online gaming community ruined it because it’s catered to them. They had to “nerf” certain aspects like defensive coverage due to how easy it would be for players who are good at taking over defensive players and covering either user or AI controlled opposing WRs, and vise versa.

The end result for people like me who don’t play online is poor defensive coverage or poor WR play when the AI is taking over. I’m terrible at controlling anyone who doesn’t have the ball in their hand. I legitimately only control the DL when playing, I can’t do any other position to save my life (or it looks super unnatural).

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

You just have to mess with the sliders. The online gaming community ruined it because it’s catered to them. They had to “nerf” certain aspects like defensive coverage due to how easy it would be for players who are good at taking over defensive players and covering either user or AI controlled opposing WRs, and vise versa.

The end result for people like me who don’t play online is poor defensive coverage or poor WR play when the AI is taking over. I’m terrible at controlling anyone who doesn’t have the ball in their hand. I legitimately only control the DL when playing, I can’t do any other position to save my life (or it looks super unnatural).

Easiest way to learn to play with an off ball guy in Madden is using a guy who's in a hard flat coverage 

Keeps your job simple and not too much overthinking 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

I can't believe you guys and Madden.  Get yourself an Atari and play some Activision football.  4 on 4 - my boss move is blitzing.  If I don't get the sack, I run off the screen and wrap around as a safety and pick off the pass.  I don't understand why the Bills don't do that.

HoofHearted has done an exceptional job analyzing both McDermott and Dorsey, but there remains times that I swear they're using this:

image.thumb.jpeg.9f7f582a24775948c9bef94b498df3ab.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Easiest way to learn to play with an off ball guy in Madden is using a guy who's in a hard flat coverage 

Keeps your job simple and not too much overthinking 

I’m always the defensive tackles. Sometimes when I feel spicy I’ll use a linebacker on a play where I have them rushing the qb. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.