Can we talk about Gabe Davis's performance?

HappyDays

The year is 2030.

It is August.

Gabe Davis is in his 12th year without ever catching 50 passes in a season.

There are about 20 threads wondering if Davis could be a true #2 receiver.

A dozen morons still think Cole Beasley is coming back at age 41.

This.....

This is twobillsdrive.com

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Oh boy,

Here we go. This year's whipping boy. Some of you guys are just pissing yourselves off with this Gabe narrative. If you want to keep saying he's our #2 Wr, presumed or not, go ahead. He was a 4th round pick and is making, on average, less than $1million per season. He was a project from the day he was drafted, or he would have been picked a lot earlier. There's a reason he was drafted so late. He wasn't seen as a top wr coming out of college. Based on draft position and cost, this was a good pick by Beane. I would take it again. Harty and Sherfield make more than Gabe does. Kincaid makes more. Hell, even Shakir makes more than Davis. The reason Gabe is out there so much, is we don't have many, if any wrs with size to block on the running plays, to catch contested passes. He was all we had that fit that mold. We can't have midget at every wr spot. He fills an important role, and in my opinion, he's done a good job. But I never expected great from him. Never cared if he was our "#2 wr". He fills an important role, and he does it well. As a 4th round pick at less than $1million per season, he's actually outperformed his contract. Glad we could talk about his performance. He was not the worst performer on the field Monday night. Not even close. Monday night was all about Josh. You might not agree with this comment, but this is deflection to spread blame for a game that was lost for one reason and one reason only. Hint: it wasn't Gabe.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

He can't separate quickly

I keep seeing this criticism of our WRs from Sunday's game and I'm not sure I buy it.

First, the Jets have an amazing defensive backfield, so maybe guys were well covered.

However, I feel like folks are saying this mostly based on the fact Josh wouldn't throw them the ball. But right now, I feel that is more on Josh.

I'd also LOVE to see Dorsey ever scheme guys open like Reid does for Kelce and WRs in KC. We have so many mismatches. Why not split Kincaid and/or Cook all the way to the outside to see if you can get a LB on Diggs/Davis inside? Or anything along those lines.

All the talk about he was going to play like a #1 wr this offseason was hilarious. We know who the guy is. Even defenses have been calling him out. I trust that over fluff pieces coming from his teammates about how amazing he is. That 3rd int was at least 50% or more his fault the other night. He doesn’t run good routes and shouldn’t be trusted to be out there 90%+ of the time. 

38 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Oh boy,

Here we go. This year's whipping boy. Some of you guys are just pissing yourselves off with this Gabe narrative. If you want to keep saying he's our #2 Wr, presumed or not, go ahead. He was a 4th round pick and is making, on average, less than $1million per season. He was a project from the day he was drafted, or he would have been picked a lot earlier. There's a reason he was drafted so late. He wasn't seen as a top wr coming out of college. Based on draft position and cost, this was a good pick by Beane. I would take it again. Harty and Sherfield make more than Gabe does. Kincaid makes more. Hell, even Shakir makes more than Davis. The reason Gabe is out there so much, is we don't have many, if any wrs with size to block on the running plays, to catch contested passes. He was all we had that fit that mold. We can't have midget at every wr spot. He fills an important role, and in my opinion, he's done a good job. But I never expected great from him. Never cared if he was our "#2 wr". He fills an important role, and he does it well. As a 4th round pick at less than $1million per season, he's actually outperformed his contract. Glad we could talk about his performance. He was not the worst performer on the field Monday night. Not even close. Monday night was all about Josh. You might not agree with this comment, but this is deflection to spread blame for a game that was lost for one reason and one reason only. Hint: it wasn't Gabe.

So we are ok having a sub par WR 2 because he is cheap and was a 4th round pick? There is a difference between this is a good player to have on your roster because of his cost and the role they play on the roster. They essentially committed to Gabe as #2 by giving Harty the contract they did. That money should have been used on a #2. Gave becomes part of the David/Sherfield/Cheaper Harty rotation. 

I won't judge Gabe based off one week where our QB was a mess and we were up against an elite defense..

However, we desperately need that legitimate #2 option to Diggs.  Maybe Kincaid turns into that, but just like so many other things on Monday Night.. Gabe Davis was reminiscent of a lot of the worries we had last year.  

Edited by SCBills

46 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I keep seeing this criticism of our WRs from Sunday's game and I'm not sure I buy it.

It isn't just one game for Gabe. It's the story of his career. When forced into a WR2 role he has trouble separating against CBs and catches 50% of the targets thrown his way. He's Marquez Valdes-Scantling with a better release package. Having a player like that as a full time WR with even more mediocre weapons behind him is a HUGE crutch for the offense, especially one that has Super Bowl aspirations.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It isn't just one game for Gabe. It's the story of his career. When forced into a WR2 role he has trouble separating against CBs and catches 50% of the targets thrown his way. He's Marquez Valdes-Scantling with a better release package. Having a player like that as a full time WR with even more mediocre weapons behind him is a HUGE crutch for the offense, especially one that has Super Bowl aspirations.

Agree.  The Kincaid/Knox roles will take some time, and I'm ok with that, but we were told all summer how great Gabe looked and how strong the connection between Allen and Sherfield was.  

Live bullets begin to fly and, yes - only one game in, Gabe looks like the same guy from last year and Sherfield is a blocking WR.. just like he's always been.  

I liked how they used Harty in space early, but either we went away from it or the Jets took it away.

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

Oh boy,

So you agree that Gabe should not be a #2 WR and that Josh was the primary issue on Monday night? Which is exactly what I said in my post?

"Fills an important role" - yeah, he is our #2 WR. If you ask anyone on the team from the front office down to the players they'll tell you the same. I'm not presuming anything, the team is.

It's gotta be Kincaid or we have to make a trade at some point. There is no other answer.

59 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

First, the Jets have an amazing defensive backfield, so maybe guys were well covered.

However, I feel like folks are saying this mostly based on the fact Josh wouldn't throw them the ball. But right now, I feel that is more on Josh.

I'd also LOVE to see Dorsey ever scheme guys open like Reid does for Kelce and WRs in KC. We have so many mismatches. Why not split Kincaid and/or Cook all the way to the outside to see if you can get a LB on Diggs/Davis inside? Or anything along those lines.

Do fans realize when they say things like - Jets have an amazing backfield, or that's the best D-Line we'll face all year, that the goal is to win a Super Bowl? 

And to do that you're going to face nothing but good teams with good defenses inevitably in the Playoffs? 

We do this all the time for the Buffalo Bills. We lower the bar to make ourselves feel good. Beane has not done a good enough job after acquiring Stefon Diggs when it comes to WR. We have "guys" after Diggs. 

If Allen isn't throwing to Diggs, Kincaid or Knox, I have no confidence. 

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Agree.  The Kincaid/Knox roles will take some time, and I'm ok with that, but we were told all summer how great Gabe looked and how strong the connection between Allen and Sherfield was.  

Live bullets begin to fly and, yes - only one game in, Gabe looks like the same guy from last year and Sherfield is a blocking WR.. just like he's always been.  

I liked how they used Harty in space early, but either we went away from it or the Jets took it away.

That started with Drive #2 with back to back Cook runs. 

We never did it again. 

The "creativity" bar is so low in Buffalo. A toss sweep is like wow, a reverse - holy smokes!, there was a play were Shakir motioned in the backfield - it catches your eye because every other play is so static and stationary. 

The Bills wild-package is a standard 4-wide, that's as "creative" as we get. 

Kincaid's average air yards on 4-catches was 1.6 yards. 6 total air yards. JUST WILD. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Do fans realize when they say things like - Jets have an amazing backfield, or that's the best D-Line we'll face all year, that the goal is to win a Super Bowl? 

And to do that you're going to face nothing but good teams with good defenses inevitably in the Playoffs? 

We do this all the time for the Buffalo Bills. We lower the bar to make ourselves feel good. Beane has not done a good enough job after acquiring Stefon Diggs when it comes to WR. We have "guys" after Diggs. 

If Allen isn't throwing to Diggs, Kincaid or Knox, I have no confidence. 

We can win a Super Bowl with this Defense, even with an inexperienced/undersized MLB and a Secondary in which (perhaps) our CB1 and both Safeties have legitimately lost a step.  The rest of the Defense is that good.

I fear a lot of people, myself included, may have underestimated the need for WR2 and RT upgrades.  Maybe Gabe steps up.. Maybe Brown steps up.. but the data sample is starting to become large enough that those hopes are fading a bit.  

I thought we did enough by upgrading the IOL and drafting Kincaid, but I really need to see Gabe/Brown step up moving forward.  I'll give them a pass, only one game, against an elite defense, but as others pointed out.. if we want to win a Super Bowl, chances are, we're going to need to beat an elite defense or two in the Playoffs.  

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I haven't seen much juice from Harty. He's automatically an upgrade on McKenzie because he doesn't puke all over himself several times a game, but he does not accelerate nearly as fast as advertised and he goes down on first contact. He appears comfortable as a punt returner though so that counts for something. I'm just not expecting him to be much of a contributor on offense. Those 3 yard swing passes gave Allen some easy completions but they didn't really move the offense.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I haven't seen much juice from Harty. He's automatically an upgrade on McKenzie because he doesn't puke all over himself several times a game, but he does not accelerate nearly as fast as advertised and he goes down on first contact. He appears comfortable as a punt returner though so that counts for something. I'm just not expecting him to much of a contributor on offense. Those 3 yard swing passes gave Allen some easy completions but they didn't really move the offense.

Yea, he didn't exactly wow out there, but he's a competent/professional receiver... with the problem being, he seems to be a WR4 type, on a team that has no WR2.  

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

We can win a Super Bowl with this Defense, even with an inexperienced/undersized MLB and a Secondary in which (perhaps) our CB1 and both Safeties have legitimately lost a step.  The rest of the Defense is that good.

I fear a lot of people, myself included, may have underestimated the need for WR2 and RT upgrades.  Maybe Gabe steps up.. Maybe Brown steps up.. but the data sample is starting to become large enough that those hopes are fading a bit.  

I thought we did enough by upgrading the IOL and drafting Kincaid, but I really need to see Gabe/Brown step up moving forward.  I'll give them a pass, only one game, against an elite defense, but as others pointed out.. if we want to win a Super Bowl, chances are, we're going to need to beat an elite defense or two in the Playoffs.  

I took play by play notes on Monday Night. 

It wasn't long before I wrote: "we have no speed on offense" 

This is just as it was in 2021 & 2022. 

Allen wants chunk plays, and other than Diggs, he has no vertical playmakers. 

That's a part of Allen's frustration at the podium. He has been provided checkdown offensive personnel. He said it verbatim last year: dink and dunk is nice, but sometimes you have to make things happen. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I took play by play notes on Monday Night. 

It wasn't long before I wrote: "we have no speed on offense" 

This is just as it was in 2021 & 2022. 

Allen wants chunk plays, and other than Diggs, he has no vertical playmakers. 

That's a part of Allen's frustration at the podium. He has been provided checkdown offensive personnel. He said it verbatim last year: dink and dunk is nice, but sometimes you have to make things happen. 

Starting to think quite a few teams may be inquiring about Mike Evans... and I have to think we should be one of them.

If Gabe doesn't become who we need him to be, I'd absolutely be open to sending Davis to Tampa with a pick for Evans.   Both in the last year of their deals and we have a bandaid at WR2 until we can address it in the offseason/draft next year. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

There was a Day-1 starting RT to be had in the 3rd Round and we passed. We got the typical run around about not having a full training camp, being a young player with limited experience (didn't stop them from playing him out of desperation as a rookie though). 

On WR#2, just as was predicted, the run on WR started right before the Bills pick. Out of the bunch I liked Smith-Ngijba and Zay Flowers the best. It's the Bills who have told the fans ad-nauseum that Gabe Davis is the hardest worked in Buffalo Bills history and can't be taken off the field. 

None of this should be a surprise to anyone. Harty is a 5'6" undrafted player with 4.40 speed. That's not Tyreek Hill. Sherfield has 833 career receiving yards. 

Our best shot is to optimize the two tight end set and pepper Diggs with 20 targets a game. We are the late-era Aaron Rodgers Packers with one dominant WR (Adams) and little else on offense. 

Come Playoff time we'll struggle as we always do because the line will not hold up, Diggs will be taken away, and the Bills have no run game or second option in the pass game. 

Not every process will yield 100%. Beane's philosophy of carrying 2020-2021-2022 has kept the team competitive. But there seems to a ceiling. 

12 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Not ready to put anything on any WR, until we see Josh improve his decision making & play other defenses.

Jets were practically giving 5 yard passes all game, Josh started to go away from taking those.

Not taking any honus off Gabe or others, just not the right time.

It's basically the same as trying to put too much praise on the secondary, yet.  Very hopeful, but we need to see a quality passing attack.

I'd agree that the short passes were more the open shot, but I'd strongly disagree that the Jets were practically giving them up. Most every pass was very well defended.

Regarding Gabe, the guy runs poor routes IMO. He throws very few fakes and therefore he creates little space. Against teams with a strong secondary, like the Jets, he creates very little space. That makes it more difficult on all other receivers as well as the QB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Davis also needs targets, I think Josh only threw his way four times during the game as I recall. So how's he supposed to get 6-8 catches?

Get open!

7 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

I'd agree that the short passes were more the open shot, but I'd strongly disagree that the Jets were practically giving them up. Most every pass was very well defended.

Regarding Gabe, the guy runs poor routes IMO. He throws very few fakes and therefore he creates little space. Against teams with a strong secondary, like the Jets, he creates very little space. That makes it more difficult on all other receivers as well as the QB.

Exactly why he won't be resigned. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Gabe Davis is the kid when you played backyard football where you forget to draw a play up for, he asks what he should run and you say “just go long.”

Then when everyone else is covered, you just throw it downfield to him and he will catch it 50% of the time.  

Those kids did have value and that’s Gabe’s value.  Just a few big chunk plays a game, not targeted very often.

That was literally me in backyard football.  I feel attacked!  😄

11 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Allen has a rocket arm, with a 1995 Intel processing chip. He needs a RAM & Processor upgrade. 

But we got to the moon with rockets and 60s hardware.  So if you're right, that means the moon is the limit for Allen (i.e., 1 step above the sky!).

The Jets made taking away the intermediate to deep ball a priority and that’s the only area Gabe can win in. I think he can still be effective if defenses are giving looks he can take advantage of, but I wanna see a heavy rotation at WR2 like we did with CB2 last year. He’s just way too 1-dimensional of a player to be out there on every play.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

What were the two missed targets to Davis? If one was the INT how is that his fault? The safety caught it before it got to him. It was a bad throw that should have been closer to the sideline.

I dont recall the other missed target. Certainly don't recall him dropping a pass.

Interesting.  What would you call that route that Gabe ran?   I am not sure what it was.  It just sort of bent to the sideline, allowed Whitehead to get an early jump maybe even got Gabe through the catchpoint too early.  Normally we see more of a direct line to the DB and then a break and we might call it a "crisp" pattern.  Maybe that's the way he is supposed to run it or maybe it was a lazy rounded break that gave the DB a chance to jump it.  I don't think we'll know other than by looking for video of other times he's run that route because coaches and players don't share that information often.

The fumble was odd too.   The snap almost hit the man in motion and Josh was looking to the right.  Did it come too early?  I have not relooked at either play other than the broadcast replay on Monday so these were just my initial impressions.  After a game like that, I tend to want to decompress and move on.  I'd rather not play coroner and try to figure out how/why the victim died, so  I could be wrong about both.

13 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

What would you call that route that Gabe ran?   I am not sure what it was.  It just sort of bent to the sideline, allowed Whitehead to get an early jump maybe even got Gabe through the catchpoint too early.  Normally we see more of a direct line to the DB and then a break and we might call it a "crisp" pattern.  Maybe that's the way he is supposed to run it or maybe it was a lazy rounded break that gave the DB a chance to jump it. 

Unless the Bills run that concept differently from how every other team has ever run it, Davis's job there is to make the safety think he could run a post before cutting to the corner. Instead he carried a big flashing sign that said I'M RUNNING THIS WAY -> and Whitehead had an easy play on the ball.

• Agree 2

Yea.. Aikman went in on Gabe for that route, and justifiably so.  

He's just not sudden enough to win quick, and if teams are flooding the intermediate to deep zones, I'm not exactly sure what Gabe gives us out there besides another good blocking WR.

24 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Interesting.  What would you call that route that Gabe ran?   I am not sure what it was.  It just sort of bent to the sideline, allowed Whitehead to get an early jump maybe even got Gabe through the catchpoint too early.  Normally we see more of a direct line to the DB and then a break and we might call it a "crisp" pattern.  Maybe that's the way he is supposed to run it or maybe it was a lazy rounded break that gave the DB a chance to jump it.  I don't think we'll know other than by looking for video of other times he's run that route because coaches and players don't share that information often.

The fumble was odd too.   The snap almost hit the man in motion and Josh was looking to the right.  Did it come too early?  I have not relooked at either play other than the broadcast replay on Monday so these were just my initial impressions.  After a game like that, I tend to want to decompress and move on.  I'd rather not play coroner and try to figure out how/why the victim died, so  I could be wrong about both.

Fair criticism of the route but someone else in another thread said Knox and Kincaid ran it virtually the same way. So maybe coaching. Maybe it just needs to be a ball that goes to the sideline. 

You saw the fumble as I did as well. He was looking to his right. So either he was not prepared or the snap was early.  They won't let us know. Regardless he collected himself but failed to secure the ball well enough. He has got to learn to give up on certain plays and just move to the next down.  A 1 yard gain is no different than a 1 yard loss on first down. 

4 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

Josh threw a horrible ball on that out route to Davis that got picked but if Gabe rounded out that cut any more it would have been a sphere

Josh should have made a different choice, but no one can say Davis ran a good route that play. The guy telegraphed his route and allowed Whitehead to jump the route.

2 hours ago, Capco said:

That was literally me in backyard football.  I feel attacked!  😄

But we got to the moon with rockets and 60s hardware.  So if you're right, that means the moon is the limit for Allen (i.e., 1 step above the sky!).

But that required a team of rocket scientists led by Daboll who Belichick says is the smartest coach in football. Is Dorsey not capable of being Oppenheimer? Do we need a few more ‘reformed’ German rocket scientists? 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Dr.Sack said:

But that required a team of rocket scientists led by Daboll who Belichick says is the smartest coach in football. Is Dorsey not capable of being Oppenheimer? Do we need a few more ‘reformed’ German rocket scientists? 

This turned out to be a brilliant, hilarious, and surprisingly applicable analogy lol.  

In the 17-game era: 

2023 Targets/Game

Hill = 15 (1st)

Diggs = 13 (4th)

2022 Targets/Game

Jefferson = 184 (1st)

Diggs = 154 (5th)

2021 Targets/Game

Kupp = 191 (1st)

Diggs = 164 (5th)

The realistic bar seems to be 10.8 - 11.5 targets/game on average. So realistically, Josh shouldn't be targeting Diggs much less than he did on Monday Night. 

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Yea.. Aikman went in on Gabe for that route, and justifiably so.  

He's just not sudden enough to win quick, and if teams are flooding the intermediate to deep zones, I'm not exactly sure what Gabe gives us out there besides another good blocking WR.

It's Year 4 now for the hardest worker in the room. 

But our Coaches have it written in stone that he must play every snap of every game. 

It's never his fault though, I'm sure he was hampered by a rolled ankle from OTAs that will carry throughout the season.

41 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

The original mention was Davis should get 6-8 catches a game, sorry it's an unrealistic expectation if he's not getting the targets to reach it. 

He was on the field for over 90% of the plays. With that high of a percentage, he should be getting at least those amount of passes, if not more. But considering Davis doesn’t run a full route tree, he’s limited to what he can do and shouldn’t be the #2 WR.

7 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

He was on the field for over 90% of the plays. With that high of a percentage, he should be getting at least those amount of passes, if not more. But considering Davis doesn’t run a full route tree, he’s limited to what he can do and shouldn’t be the #2 WR.

Get him out of the game more often and rotate his snaps between Sherfield and Shakir. 

The coaches hate Shakir and love blocking so even if it was Sherfield that mixed in, but yeah, no reason Gabe has earned 95%+ snap count. 

He's one of the most inefficient players in the league. 

6 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Lol! People want Allen to throw to the shorter routes and want to target Gabe more often. Does Gabe even run short routes?

"People want"

Diggs is a balanced WR who can run all three levels. 

After that, what have the Bills invested in? 

Tight Ends - Knox at $10.8M cap hit and a 1st Rounder in Kincaid. 

Harty is on a 1-year $4M deal. 

Sherfield is 1-year veteran minimum $1.7M deal. 

Shakir is on a 5th-Round rookie deal. 

So, like it or not Josh, there is no vertical speed on this team to throw it deep regardless other than peppering Diggs with 15 targets a game.  

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Get him out of the game more often and rotate his snaps between Sherfield and Shakir. 

The coaches hate Shakir and love blocking so even if it was Sherfield that mixed in, but yeah, no reason Gabe has earned 95%+ snap count. 

He's one of the most inefficient players in the league. 

"People want"

Diggs is a balanced WR who can run all three levels. 

After that, what have the Bills invested in? 

Tight Ends - Knox at $10.8M cap hit and a 1st Rounder in Kincaid. 

So, like it or not Josh, there is no vertical speed on this team to throw it deep regardless other than peppering Diggs with 15 targets a game.  

Deep is all Davis can do. He don’t got the hands to catch balls in closed spaces. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.