Can we talk about Gabe Davis's performance?

HappyDays

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

to be honest, the juices started flowing well before game 1:

Imagine that!! Bills fans getting excited about their 1st rd pick!!  

those poster should be administered points for being so excited!!!  

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He caught 4 short check downs for a total of 25 yards.  Then was quickly brought down.  The YAC for 25 total yards isn't something to point to.

You’re either very observant or you can read.  👏🏻 

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Could you provide some examples of the people who are salivating over his first game?

New era is drooling.

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I think you're beinf asinine. He caught every ball thrown to him and picked up very solid yards after contact. If the all 22 is showing that Kincaid is getting open, it's not crazy to say that so far has shown to be a more reliable option than Gabe Davis and coaches should direct Josh as such. As "damned by faint praise" as that statement is.

It's not hard to be better or more reliable than Davis. That's not saying much. I never implied he won't. 

All I'm saying is Bills fans are so quick to declare new draft picks as gold. It's a pretty common theme. 

IMHO, if anyone deserves some accolades early it's Torrence. He really held up well vs the tough Jets Dline. 

8 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

New era is drooling.

You're a liar. All he said was that he looked pretty good.

Which he did.

If you ever get to wondering why folks here consider you to be trollish, making up false narratives about what other people say and then insulting them for it is something you might want to reconsider.

If you don't wonder why folks think that, then you probably are a troll.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

to be honest, the juices started flowing well before game 1:

The juices have been flowing ever since he was drafted to be honest. 

14 minutes ago, Simon said:

You're a liar. All he said was that he looked pretty good.

Which he did.

If you ever get to wondering why folks here consider you to be trollish, making up false narratives about what other people say and then insulting them for it is something you might want to reconsider.

If you don't wonder why folks think that, then you probably are a troll.

Looking back and rereading the posts you are correct. 

I owe NewEra an apology. I will do so. 

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Posters taking other posters so seriously. 

lol

I reread what you said and my responses to it. 

I was wrong and took what you said out of context. 

I apologize for me immaturity. I lashed out on you without provacation. 

One again, I do apologize. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

I reread what you said and my responses to it. 

I was wrong and took what you said out of context. 

I apologize for me immaturity. I lashed out on you without provacation. 

One again, I do apologize. 

All good.  I appreciate and accept your apology.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I'm not denying that. I'm just amazed at how some are salivating over Kincaid's first game. I'm mean let's get real! It wasn't special or memorable. It was average and ok. Good at best. Four catches and 26 yards and some fans are doing backflips and somersaults. 

Who is salivating or doing backflips? It's the kids first game.  He caught the passes thrown to him and his catches kept us in good shape on 3rd downs. He got 8 yards on a 2nd and 10. 6 yards on 1st and 10. 3 yards on 2nd and 4.  All three of those were scoring drives. 9 yards on 1st and 10. 

Did he do anything amazing?  No, not really but he is a rookie TE.  Were you expecting to see prime Kelce out there?

Edited by Scott7975
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

New era is drooling.

It's not hard to be better or more reliable than Davis. That's not saying much. I never implied he won't. 

All I'm saying is Bills fans are so quick to declare new draft picks as gold. It's a pretty common theme. 

IMHO, if anyone deserves some accolades early it's Torrence. He really held up well vs the tough Jets Dline. 

Davis is underwhelming, but how many targets do you expect for a WR that generally runs deep routes against two high? That's not a game where he has a high volume, that's the type of game where those underneath routes should eat. 

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Davis is underwhelming, but how many targets do you expect for a WR that generally runs deep routes against two high? That's not a game where he has a high volume, that's the type of game where those underneath routes should eat. 

As a 4.55 guy, it’s a particular challenge 

but as a guy with terrible shuttle/cone, and “very poor” grades in agility with the RAS metrics, perhaps underneath is also not his spot as he isn’t running whips and such either. 

He’s a good mid round pick. He has a spot in the league. He can’t win against CB1 consistently though and you can’t be the team that pays him his second contract. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/14/2023 at 12:34 PM, What a Tuel said:

Josh should have made a different choice, but no one can say Davis ran a good route that play. The guy telegraphed his route and allowed Whitehead to jump the route.

watch that Kurt Warner video.  Davis is supposed to go 10-12 yards before cutting 42 degrees.  Instead, Gabe only ran 7 before he made his cut, bunching himself between Sauce and Safety.  Gabe should of ran hard for at least 10, get S on his heals, then make break, to spot where Josh threw the ball.  Josh threw it where Gabe was supposed to be, after he juked the safety.  Warner showed that Kincaid was breaking off route too soon as well.  I noticed several times the Bills WR spacing on routes was wrong, WRs clumped together.

On 9/14/2023 at 3:49 PM, harmonkillebrew said:

Gabe is pretty much a one-trick pony WR.  He shouldn't really be a #2 in an offense that is constantly going to be playing against 2 high safety zone looks. His routes are not crisp enough to win underneath and to reliably find the holes in the zone.  He will do fine against teams with lesser personnel than the Jets or when teams play man, but OBD should have known this is not the trend for how Defenses are playing us and found a better fit for #2.

Josh still misses a reliable underneath guy like Beasley.  Cole had 82 catches on 112 targets in 2021. That was never reliably replaced last year (Davis had 48 catches. Unless Kincaid turns it on, it seems Josh doesn't really trust anyone underneath. It's pretty much the same as last year - Diggs or bust. 

Josh went from an established vet WR corps of Diggs, Emmanuel Sanders, and Beasley to Diggs, Gabe, Shakhir, and Harty.  It's not a shock that he's struggling with the underneath stuff. OBD made a mistake not addressing #2. 

Agree 100%

6 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Agree but there's no way you can declare Kincaid had an elite performance. He wasn't impactful no matter who is to blame . That's really the bottom line. He caught 4 balls for 26 yards. 

LaPorta and Musgrave had better games statistically. 

Seems like some Bills fans want to wish Kincaid as elite . Let's wait and see because the Jets game was just average. 

Maybe some fans do wish he "becomes" elite.  I said he looked good and deserves more targets.

He went 4 for 4 and is after all a 1st round pick that has fans hopeful.

I case you don't realize it you are replying to every Kincaid post in every thread this week.

I have to say newcam, your anti-Kincaid rhetoric is bordering on crusading.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Maybe some fans do wish he "becomes" elite.  I said he looked good and deserves more targets.

He went 4 for 4 and is after all a 1st round pick that has fans hopeful.

I case you don't realize it you are replying to every Kincaid post in every thread this week.

I have to say newcam, your anti-Kincaid rhetoric is bordering on crusading.

I can take a cue. Thanks. No offense taken. Time to button up. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/13/2023 at 8:14 PM, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I'm not saying Kincaid doesn't have this kind of talent.  I'm not even really saying that I think you'll be proven wrong or anything.  But don't you think that taking one game where a rookie caught 4/4 targets with minuscule depths of target and suggesting he should now be game planned around as the second best option is premature?  Do you want a 13-3 team from the previous year making snap personnel decisions based on Monday when there are 4 months to go?

It just feels like everyone is reaching for a different panic button after Week 1 when we're already seeing evidence that Week 1's are just going to be weird in this age where starters barely take preseason snaps.  

Yeah, I was going to say that Week 1 is not the same as in the olden days. Cincy, the Chargers, KC, Buffalo, the Giants, Seattle, and Minnesota, all good teams from last year, all lost. I think people are making too much out of the first week.

[Also, thanks for spelling "minuscule" correctly. I almost always see it spelled wrong.]

Edited by chongli

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.