Terry Pegula is ALLEGED to have said something very foul in the Jim Trotter lawsuit against the NFL

Roundybout

2 minutes ago, BRH said:

This unidentified reporter who repeated Pegula's alleged comments at this zoom meeting....

You know, that seems like kind of a big story, and could make the career of the reporter who breaks it.  Why would that reporter sit on it?

I think the "reporters" who were invited to the Zoom call were all NFL or NFL Network employees.  People who have a vested interest in protecting the shield.  

I’m waiting to comment until all the info becomes available. 

IMO, people are too quick to pass judgement. Look at the Araiza situation from last year and how that’s going now? If this turns out to be a bunch of garbage, you’ll see Terry sue Trotter (and others).

Edited by Jerry Jabber
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, colin said:

presuming that what the article said is true, would this suit not have to basically prove that the NFL investigation was just a cover up and lied by saying that?

what you typed reads like trotter heard a dude say something ABOUT a zoom call that dude was on.  as opposed to heard dude allege on a zoom call that he heard something some other way.

if the supposed comment by pegula was on a zoom call, and it got investigated, then it should be pretty black and white (har!) because there would be notes and a recording and all kinds of stuff.

My mistake. Trotter heard about it on a zoom call with other reporters. The reporter alleged Pegula said it at a dinner. People at the dinner were interviewed and denied Pegula said it.

”The investigation took place shortly after the comment was brought to the league’s attention, and no one else from the dinner recalled the statement being made, according to this source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.”

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Ok so the NFL investigated this and interviewed every single person who was present and found nothing.

And yet Wigdor put it in the Complaint as a second-hand piece of information. 

Doug Wigdor is a crap human being.  He has zero reservations about destroying someone's reputation without any factual basis if he thinks it will give his client some leverage.

He gives lawyers a bad (worse) name.

I have been a victim of this.  In a civil suit they will throw everything at the wall to see if it sticks.  The goal is to sensationalize it as much as reasonably possible to get the defendant to cave and settle out of court.   Especially if the defendant has deep pockets.

I’m not defending or accusing Terry, but this is often SOP. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I think the "reporters" who were invited to the Zoom call were all NFL or NFL Network employees.  People who have a vested interest in protecting the shield.  

It's highly probable at least some of the people at the meeting were minority.   I would think they would have an interest in speaking out against a racial discrimination incident over protecting the NFL.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

His argument is that he was fired because the NFL is full of racists. That is an action. These statements are meant to corroborate that allogation. Notice that he is not suing Terry Pegula. 

Fair to point out there is an action. I guess it would be a matter for a jury to decide if Pegulas words are connected to trotters firing.

29 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What is the different skill set? Was it the skill set that people used to think blacks weren’t smart enough to be quarterbacks? Not saying you’re saying this but just making the point.

Some of the best current GMs are black. Tomlin is considered one of the best coaches. I think that nerd from Miami is something.  

this is a different issue so I apologize for sidetracking.

and Gronk, the moron, could easily get a nfl gig if he wanted to. 

I feel like you're putting words in my mouth, and the quarterback issue is a strawman as it's a field of play issue.  Obviously, the discrimination against Black QBs came from a racist place, which most everyone outside of the most brazen and staunch racists would agree with in today's world.

Regarding Tomlin, I've never said that Black individuals couldn't make great coaches or GMs. I would never assume a person's suitability for any white collar job based on their race or gender. I've had mentors and bosses of all races, genders, orientations that run circles around me from a competence and intellectual standpoint (probably obvious to those reading...lol).

I'm saying that these modern day front office jobs and skill sets track more closely to employment in other professional fields. In that context, the level of equity in hiring in the NFL tracks favorably vs other professions.  But yes, some of these jobs do obviously get filled via nepotism and that's a problem.  

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Lost said:

It's highly probable at least some of the people at the meeting were minority.   I would think they would have an interest in speaking out against a racial discrimination incident over protecting the NFL.    

If the plaintiff is to be believed, that type of thing would cost you your job.  NFL Network is kind of a dream gig.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, appoo said:

Generally when someone goes on legal record of saying something with a direct quote, it increases the odds of them saying it, or you risk perjury

We literally just finished up another legal situation with the team where someone accused a player of RAPE, that was an outright lie

so you'll pardon me if i give that thought a good, healthy scoff

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

If the plaintiff is to be believed, that type of thing would cost you your job.  NFL Network is kind of a dream gig.

So... is the reporter who allegedly shared the alleged quote with Trotter still employed by the NFL or no?

15 minutes ago, BRH said:

This unidentified reporter who repeated Pegula's alleged comments at this zoom meeting....

You know, that seems like kind of a big story, and could make the career of the reporter who breaks it.  Why would that reporter sit on it?

Wonder if the unidentified reporter heard it from another unidentified reporter?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

What did he say? Can't read this

"I'm a little confused," Terry said next. "I'm sitting on the stage between Mayor [Byron] Brown and Ted Black, yet I look over there, and I'm wondering, is something backwards here?"

That one went over like a slap shot to the face.

There was a stunned silence, and then some uncomfortable laughter. Pegula finished with a lame comment about Brown and Black, the Sabres' president, starting a law firm.

50 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

He says that it was said in a meeting with owners and the NFL Media. That means that any reporter on that Zoom call was an employee of the league. He argues that they swept it under the rug.

This is the correct reading of the allegation, tortured though the (original) wording may be. That is, attendees were Shield employees.

Rather odd though: para 128 effectively states that Mr Trotter was IN the zoom meeting, but did not himself hear the comment.

If it was a zoom call (virtual, of course) how precisely was TP having a (side) conversation with the unnamed reporter, who was also in the call? Yes, possible, but details matter.

I only quickly reviewed...but there are many similar leverage points in the complaint that any reasonable defense lawyer will attack.

Please note: I'm only making a cold-hearted evaluation of the stated fact pattern. I don't know what is true or not.

Edited by Dukestreetking
Clarification
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Blackbeard said:

If this Trotter guy heard it from another, it's hearsay.  

Inadmissible, with few exceptions.

It simply means the reporter who shared the alleged comment would need to testify under oath that Pegula actually made said comment.

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

There’s usually plenty of room to change lanes ahead of time. Each time is different of course but cars literally stopping to merge in from a standstill is insane. Many often don’t follow the reduced speed limits in these zones either , adding to the chaos. All stems from a sense of entitlement , trying to “ beat the crowd “ when simple following of instructions in a timely manner would produce a better result. The signs etc are usually ignored. 

Cars often only are stopping to merge from a standstill because drivers in the other lane refuse to let them merge at speed.

There is only a "crowd to beat" and room to advance relative to the crowd because of the aversion to proper zippering that utilizes the full lane space available.  This is reinforced by the drivers that refuse to make room for other drivers to merge.  So instead of there being a quarter mile of slow but steady two-lane traffic with cars slotting in with each other at the end, there's a half-mile (or likely longer) backup of single-file line with no consistent flow, no mutually agreed upon mesh point, and vindictive drivers who refuse to let people merge ahead of them which in turn forces people to shove their cars awkwardly into the lane when they feel like they can.  This then causes the dramatic slowdowns and stoppages.

Zippering is very effective and is the standard practice in most regions.  I thought exactly the same way you did (since I did all of my driving in WNY norms) until I moved outside of the area for a bit and realized that we do merges the complete opposite of how they're supposed to work.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I have been a victim of this.  In a civil suit they will throw everything at the wall to see if it sticks.  The goal is to sensationalize it as much as reasonably possible to get the defendant to cave and settle out of court.   Especially if the defendant has deep pockets.

I’m not defending or accusing Terry, but this is often SOP. 

Exactly what happened with the Araiza case. 

Maybe he was quoting the classic Public Enemy lp, Fear of a Black Planet:

Chuck D: Go back to Africa?

DJ: OK, we're going to, uh (Ha ha) - believe me when we go to these phones, people are going to tell you to do just that, Chuck
Hello?

Edited by leonbus23
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Jauronimo said:

I will tell you this once and only once.....how the f@#$ should I know? 

Do your own homework, Sue.

I know YOU don't know anything.  Still think it's a fair question and someone should ask it.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't like or trust Pegula but I also don't know if Trotter has credibility. He might be lying. Wouldn't be a first. Where did Trotter get this quote? The quote seems unlikely. There's a lot of chicanery involved with these racial allegations. See Akim Aliu in the hockey world.

Edited by Shemp

This is where Bills PR earns its money.  They gotta come down hard on this or it’s going to cause a huge, huge problem. 

Candidly, I have a hard time believing that a guy who married a minority and who has kids who are minorities would say something so stupid and so offensive. 

9 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

This is the correct reading of the allegation, tortured though the (original) wording may be. That is, attendees were Shield employees.

Rather odd though: para 128 effectively states that Mr Trotter was IN the zoom meeting, but did not himself hear the comment.

If it was a zoom call (virtual, of course) how precisely was TP having a (side) conversation with the unnamed reporter, who was also in the call? Yes, possible, but details matter.

I only quickly reviewed...but there are many similar leverage points in the complaint that any reasonable defense lawyer will attack.

Please note: I'm only making a cold-hearted evaluation of the stated fact pattern. I don't know what is true or not.

I assume that you're a lawyer? If yes, aren’t the hearsay rules very different for criminal courts vs civil lawsuits, in that the rules are way less stringent for civil, and heresay can be used in civil cases?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.