2023 NFL Season - Week #1 - Bills at Jets - Post game game thread

BuffaloBill

15 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

Coaching is everything imo

Well, it’s at least 50%. I mean, it’s a marriage.

Josh/any qb1 is an extension of the coaching staff. the staff has to build the system to get the best results and the quarterback has to understand the system at a master level. 

josh doesn’t seem to get certain nuanced concepts at a practical level. He’s either incapable, or doesn’t want to. 

the bills could’ve lined up in double tight i formation and ran the ball on 80% of the second half plays and they probably would’ve won. 

Edited by Shortchaz

2 minutes ago, klos63 said:

No, I'm not saying that. It's the rationalizing a bad play by saying it's like a punt. That has always bugged the hell out of me. It's just one of those dumb things announcers say all the time and makes no sense to me. It's simple , you'd never punt on 3rd down, so don't say the INT on 3rd is equivalent to one.

OK, I get it. 
for me it’s just a shorthand way of saying low risk (like a punt), high potential reward (long TD pass)

11 minutes ago, Bleedingreennc said:

We won despite Wilson, he looks lost out there. This is a 7-10 team with him at the helm. Just like last season, our defense can't sustain their playing tonight all season long. To be honest, it's Miami's division to lose at this point.

“At this point” like it it’s the home stretch of the season already. JFC 🤦‍♂️

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

Beane: Breece Hall was on the board when we took Kair Elam. One of those guys was more responsible than anyone else for the W. One was a healthy inactive. 

Breece hall could’ve switched teams at halftime and I doubt it makes a difference in the outcome.  I think this is a bit of a reach.  I’m having trouble blaming anybody but josh…three runs and a punt every drive in the second half probably wins that game 

3 minutes ago, Bleedingreennc said:

Every game is a big game, there are only 17. Especially with the defending Champs dropping their first game. Kansas City is the standard right now, you have to be at least 1 game ahead of them each week, cause eventually they are going to get their ***** together and start a winning streak because of Mahomes and Reid.

You missed the 2nd part of my argument.

I said that it's valid to say every game is a big game. But not in the context of saying "Allen doesn't show up in the big games."  Because, then - you're saying he never shows up.

That's all.  I think it was a somewhat significant game - but I'd be hard pressed to call it a "big game." Those don't really happen until we get deep into the season and playoffs, imo.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Bleedingreennc said:

We won despite Wilson, he looks lost out there. This is a 7-10 team with him at the helm. Just like last season, our defense can't sustain their playing tonight all season long. To be honest, it's Miami's division to lose at this point.

So GoBills down votes my post, tell me why? Because I said it's Miami's division to lose? Explain please

5 minutes ago, Success said:

If week 1 is a big game, every game is a big game.

That is not an invalid argument - but when someone says something like, Allen never shows up in the big games - by the nature of a statement like that, every game isn't a big game.

So, no - this was not a big game, by most definitions.

Depends on how you quantify games. Every loss counts against your team. Every division game is magnified. 

One loss is often the difference between a one seed or a division title. 

Some games are bigger than others. 

I'm not going to quibble with you on whether tonight was a big game or not. 

35 minutes ago, MPT said:

But if you want to get real about it, the Jets' whole philosophy on defense is flooding the pass routes while only rushing 4 defensive linemen. There are no areas of the field they aren't protecting. And they're also good at defending the run. That's why you need to scheme up plays that either draw the linemen in too far to defend against short yardage plays or scheme up plays that leverage mismatches. Dorsey did neither.

Yea Josh didn't run any screens today those are always good to frustrate a pass rush and slow them down.  I don't know if Josh just doesn't like screen plays but if that's the case he needs to learn it's not about what  plays he likes to run its about what plays will work against what he sees the defense doing but without film study hes not a ble to identify what plays will work to get the defenders to vacate the areas on the field he wants to run plays to.  

Edited by AuntieEm

4 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

The Bills lost this game when they selected Kaiir Elam over Breece Hall. 

You would think that a regime with a history of turning late round defensive backs into serviceable starters wouldn't waste a 1st round pick on a player who doesn't even fit their scheme but he we are 

Just now, Bleedingreennc said:

So GoBills down votes my post, tell me why? Because I said it's Miami's division to lose? Explain please

If you want to base the entire season off one game,sure.

Lots of football to be played, even though neither the Jets or Bills looked great tonight.

• Like (+1) 1

Allen has regressed badly. It’s starting to look like almost all the work done under Daboll has been unraveling. 

The panic / risk taker is supposed to be phasing out of his game at this point of his career. 

The window for this team was the 2021 season. 

Anyone saying “it’s just one game, it’ll be fine” is not grasping the dog fight the AFC East and wild card spots is going to be. 

The team was up double digits in the second half against a deflated team. The only thing they couldn’t do was beat themselves. This game is a fireable offense. 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bleedingreennc said:

I’m not disagreeing with you necessarily but I’m gonna guess it’s because week 1 is a little early to say it’s miamis division to lose.  Tua had some bone headed mistakes that kept a team in the game he should’ve blown out also so who knows what’s gonna happen over 17 games 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

4 minutes ago, Shortchaz said:

Well, it’s at least 50%. I mean, it’s a marriage.

Josh/any qb1 is an extension of the coaching staff. the staff has to build the system to get the best results and the quarterback has to understand the system at a master level. 

josh doesn’t seem to get certain nuanced concepts at a practical level. He’s either incapable, or doesn’t want to. 

the bills could’ve lined up in double tight i formation and ran the ball on 80% of the second half plays and they probably would’ve won. 

Yup. Tell your QB to go make plays when the plays are bull ***** then get upset when something bad happens. 

OR draw up something with a chance of succeeding without superhuman abilities.

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Good point but that really doesn't make me feel any better. I know it's week one but I gotta see something that indicates this team is SB caliber. They will have time to prove or disprove themselves. 

I thought the pass rush was SB caliber without Von Miller. Floyd is a demon out there.  Rousseau played very well.   I thought our D played great, minus Poyer.  

Was impressed with Benford.

Garrett Wilson played better.   He’s a super star.  I have hope for the defense.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bob Jones said:

Said this in the GD thread about 2 hours ago! LOL

Yeah, yeah you're quite the wit...Probably has been said about 10 more times in the 22 pages since this post.

I doubt more than 10% of posters start at the 1st post and read consecutively, and why should they, can't banter with someone who their response left hours ago .

Byproduct of the Mod Gods lazy way of forcing anything slightly similar into one unruly post and not only not deleting chucklehead posts but encouraging them..

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Allen has regressed badly. It’s starting to look like almost all the work done under Daboll has been unraveling. 

The panic / risk taker is supposed to be phasing out of his game at this point of his career. 

The window for this team was the 2021 season. 

Anyone saying “it’s just one game, it’ll be fine” is not grasping the dog fight the AFC East and wild card spots is going to be. 

The team was up double digits in the second half against a deflated team. The only thing they couldn’t do was beat themselves. This game is a fireable offense. 

I’m on the flip side of this I think trying to coach the risk taker out of him is killing his confidence…that panicked throwaway ish pass to Knox in ot irritated me more than anything all night because he was playing scared and tried to keep the ball away from sauce who was barely a factor on that play. 

gotta pick yourself up and keep doing what you do in a bad game but josh seemed clearly rattled tonight and it all snowballed.  That’s something you just never see happen to mahomes even in that bucs Super Bowl where he was getting pulverized all night 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1

Just now, UKBillFan said:

You would have been if the Bills had someone just making average plays at quarterback. Heck, if the Bills had Wilson the result would have been different tonight.

I think the jets would have shut the bills out if there was a Wilson vs Wilson mirror match all game tonight at qb lol

we’re dunking on all of Josh’s  bad plays tonight and that’s certainly deserved, but josh pulled off some magic on quite a few plays tonight too that led to points 

2 minutes ago, Bleedingreennc said:

I'm not sure about that

Wilson protected the ball better than Josh. That’s all the Bills needed.

ETA - Fair point above. The Bills would have won if they had Josh in the first half and Wilson in the second.

Edited by UKBillFan
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Bleedingreennc said:

Nobody is Brady. I would give anything to have Allen as the Jets QB. He had a bad game, it happens. But in the long run you guys will have a better record than the Jets.

As a Bills fan, I'm craving a SB appearance at the very least and a SB win. 

A winning record over the Jets is hardly a successful season. A playoff birth and an early exit is hardly a successful season. That might sound brass to a Jets fan. No offense intended. 

This team has been primed to represent the AFC for several years now. Only to fall short time after time. Frustration and doubt is mounting as games and years pass. Tonight's game only intensified the failure of this regime. Ground hog day...

To put it in proper perspective the Bills Brass went out and purposely made offensive moves. All off season, many have talked about an improved offense. Some indicating it might be the best O in the league. 

Did you see a dynamic offense? A changed offense? A great oline and dangerous offensive weapons? Besides Diggs this offense is mediocre with a bunch of one offs. All replaceable pieces. It lacks dynamic game changing players. Come playoff time (assuming the Bills make it) teams will double Diggs. Thus far, the Bills have no answer to combat this. 

To boot the franchise QB Shi! the bed. Gave the game away or the Jets D took it from him. 

In short, tonight's game was a microcosm of last year's season. All the same issues and weaknesses were present. 

The only saving factor is it's game one. A long season to improve and figure it out. However, that's putting a lot of faith in a sub par OC and an overated defensive head coach. 

I guess we will see how it plays out. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I think the jets would have shut the bills out if there was a Wilson vs Wilson mirror match all game tonight at qb lol

we’re dunking on all of Josh’s  bad plays tonight and that’s certainly deserved, but josh pulled off some magic on quite a few plays tonight too that led to points 

Disagree. Wilson had a few epic throws and moments himself for being a low end option at QB. Josh is better, should have been better and is expected to be what he’s shown. No excuses for #17. Very few losses have ever been solely on him but this one, unfortunately, was. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I’m on the flip side of this I think trying to coach the risk taker out of him is killing his confidence…that panicked throwaway ish pass to Knox in ot irritated me more than anything all night because he was playing scared and tried to keep the ball away from sauce who was barely a factor on that play. 

gotta pick yourself up and keep doing what you do in a bad game but josh seemed clearly rattled tonight and it all snowballed 

Agree with ChuckWagon on this except the 'fireable offence' part. PreSeason JA stated that his game plan was to think before running or gunning. Seems he was only appeasing, not buying in. After an early gaffe they showed McD pointing to his head with the THINK sign.JA doesn't lack confidence, he has too much of it. Too bad the next up is too laughable to put in for even a set of downs, to enforce the concept.

Edited by DieHardFan
Put in wrong name.
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ticketssince61 said:

Because they DO get beat on every drop back

There was a report that the Bills OLine only gave up a 26% pressure rate tonight.

I know I saw Allen bailing out of clean pockets multiple times.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

Great effort by the Jets

Absolutely. Feel a few low end teams would have folded after their marquee signing and short term savior only lasted 4 plays before being finished for, at the time, the game. Resultant effort. 

Whitehead won the game. Josh lost it. As simple as that. 

Being from Pittsburgh area I’m going to hear it from a few people with ties to Whitehead. If only Robert Foster was still a Bill that regional ties could be cancelled out. 

Newsflash: 13 seconds wasn't Leslie Frazier's fault.

After 4 years, the middle of both of our lines still can't do what needs to get done ie. protect our QB and get to the other QB when it counts.

Players who came to play:
Milano
Benford

Diggs

Felt like most everyone else was just waiting for someone else to make a play. I can't believe how much we paid Dawson Knox.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I thought the pass rush was SB caliber without Von Miller. Floyd is a demon out there.  Rousseau played very well.   I thought our D played great, minus Poyer.  

Was impressed with Benford.

Garrett Wilson played better.   He’s a super star.  I have hope for the defense.  

The pass rush was good but they were facing a poor pass blocking team and a back up QB. Also, a bottom tier offensive team. 

So the jury is out on how good the Bills pass rush is. It is very encouraging though. Hopefully, it's the real deal. It was one of the few bright spots in the game. 

4 minutes ago, cale said:

Newsflash: 13 seconds wasn't Leslie Frazier's fault.

After 4 years, the middle of both of our lines still can't do what needs to get done ie. protect our QB and get to the other QB when it counts.

Players who came to play:
Milano
Benford

Diggs

Felt like most everyone else was just waiting for someone else to make a play. I can't believe how much we paid Dawson Knox.

There should be about 10 other guys on that list.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.