Jordan Palmer's QB Room Podcast with co-host Kyle Allen: Josh Allen edition just dropped

Beck Water

Well, since we're all about the Josh podcasts right now

Kyle says Josh brought him to Buffalo and thanks him.

They talk a lot about golf.  Ask Josh to list all the golf courses he's played over the off-season.

About 10 minutes in, Kyle says the other day (on an off day) he saw Josh "about as hung over as I've ever seen a human being" walking around with a bottle of pedialyte and a personal bottle of oxygen (!!!!). 

Apparently the previous night, in the course of getting smashed, Josh stated he was "the best athlete on the planet" and promptly got beaten at pickleball twice by Matt Barkley's wife. Josh did NOT like the story about being beaten at pickleball, turned off his camera, and said he was going to get upset if they kept going with that

He did explain his thinking behind the "best athlete on the planet" talk, about how he feels he could have succeeded at a number of sports such as baseball, basketball, swimming (Jordan confirms, good swimmer as long as it's not the ocean because he's scared of sharks), but then goes on to talk about hockey (nope) and soccer.....

Kyle: "You honestly don't sound very confident right now" 😆 (guess we can count on him a bit to keep Josh on the ground)

Later in, they're doing a kind of "buddy game" where they each have to guess what the other will answer.  How many yards will Josh throw for this year?Josh guesses 5281, Kyle 5241.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

• Beck Water changed the title to Jordan Palmer's QB Room Podcast with co-host Kyle Allen: Josh Allen edition just dropped

There's a very curated and polished edition of Josh presented in the Bills PR pieces like "Beyond Blue and Red".  And I think that's part of a true picture.  Josh probably is a genuine guy who understands that kids idolize him and that his 5 second signing may give them lasting positive memories. 

But this is part of a true picture too -

-Josh who played a bunch of fancy golf courses this off season

-who makes silly claims when drunk about being the "best athlete on the planet"

-who can't stand to talk about getting embarrassed at a game 2x immediately afterwards (by his buddy's wife) and shuts that down hard

-who is getting stupid drunk leaving him badly hungover going into a day off during preseason

-who admits he doesn't like to get too into watching film on upcoming opponents - maybe he has a good reason, and maybe he still watches enough.  Or maybe not.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 3

22 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

There's a very curated and polished edition of Josh presented in the Bills PR pieces like "Beyond Blue and Red".  And I think that's part of a true picture.  Josh probably is a genuine guy who understands that kids idolize him and that his 5 second signing may give them lasting positive memories. 

No disrespect Beck, but your "But this is a true picture too" feels like its skewing a more negative picture on things that are not really negative, or you paraphrased in a way that makes them sound more negative than they were during the interview.  

But this is a true picture too -

It is the off season, every player spent it doing things relaxing and fun and Allen already said he badly needed to rest after such an emotionally draining season.  Don't think there is anything wrong with this at all and he has said many times this is the most focused on football he has ever been.  And that says a lot, because he has been all football all the time since entering the league.  

-who can't stand to talk about getting embarrassed at a game 2x immediately afterwards (by his buddy's wife) and shuts that down hard

It is well known Josh is one of the most competitive guys there is, he already was a multi-sport start in HS which is why he didn't get as much football attention coming out, so also not seeing what is wrong with this either, seems to be a guy who is competitive and confident in his abilities.  I am super competitive, if my friends wife beat me in a game of pickle ball I would shut it down as quick as I could too.  

-who is getting stupid drunk leaving him badly hungover going into a day off during preseason

Not sure why this is an issue, it was an off day the next day during preseason.  No reason for him and the guys to not let loose once in a while, especially before the season starts.

-who admits he doesn't like to get too into watching film on upcoming opponents - maybe he has a good reason, and maybe he still watches enough.  Or maybe not.

This one is really the bigger one here as the way you phrased it makes it sound like he doesn't watch much film, and that isnt what he stated.  He said he doesn't over watch film on opponents and get locked into one look they did against someone else because defenses play him and the Bills differently (obviously as no other team has a QB like Allen to defend).  But no offense, you paraphrased summary here makes it sounds like he doesn't take film seriously or watch too much of it, but that isn't reflective of what was actually said IMHO.

Again, mean no disrespect at all here Beck, just think this list you made isn't exactly the "true picture" your comments seem to imply.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

30 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Not a shock with Josh and the drinking. 

Has he started to lift weights or is he going to continue to get by on "farm" strength?

He has always talked about lifting weights for his lower body.  I'm not sure where this "Josh doesn't lift" thing comes from.

He says he works on being "strong but flexible" in his upper body so he doesn't do upper body lifts.  That's not quite the same as "get by on farm strength".  For the record, Brady was public about not lifting weights but working to maintain flexibility with strength. 

I'm not sure what all that entails but I think it means kettleballs, elastic bands, and so forth.

I know we got some guys here who do personal training, maybe they will step up and educate me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No disrespect Beck, but your "But this is a true picture too" feels like its skewing a more negative picture on things that are not really negative, or you paraphrased in a way that makes them sound more negative than they were during the interview.  

Again, mean no disrespect at all here Beck, just think this list you made isn't exactly the "true picture" your comments seem to imply.

No disrespect taken.  I understand why you take it that way.

I think we should all be aware that great QB spend free time doing other things - Brady and Rodgers both golf, it was clear from the Superbowl party that wasn't the first time Stafford had alcohol cross his little lips.  Young healthy millionaire athletes have a right to have fun.

What I'm in response to, is really the stuff that's been showing up in some of the other threads, the Pat McAfee and Jordan Palmer threads - that Josh has made a "seismic change" to his diet and lifestyle by ditching his "partygirl" galpal Britt, he's completely focused on football now etc etc etc.

My point really wasn't to point a finger at Josh for getting drunk and golfing, I think that's pretty normal wealthy young athlete behavior.

My point is that the storyline Josh has made huge changes to his diet and workout and lifestyle, isn't a full picture either.  There's some "spin"

(I know, Alert the Media, a PR piece made by the Bills and a podcast their employees host involves "spin")

Both are pictures with some truth.  The full picture, has to reflect both.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

I love Josh Allen (don't we all) but I must say this peek at him was a bit disconcerting/disappointing.

He came off as something of a doofus, especially with the stupid tone of bravado during his drinking comments.

He has so carefully curated his image up until now, and well he should.  His successful work with charities (to say nothing of his team leadership status and his advertising income) will suffer should his image slide.   

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1

On a number of occasions Josh has mentioned that he doesn't watch film. It is weird. I have mentioned a few times that I think this is part of the reason he is late to throw, doesn't even look at open guys on occasion, or holds the ball a long time. We may be a high low read offense. But in a game built on inches and fractions of seconds, this isn't helping. 

There are guys like LT who got by without it. But pass rusher is a much different position than QB. I don't know if I have ever heard a single QB ever say they were anything other than videophiles. Always locked into film.

Even a noted partiers like Dennis Rodman was wholly committed to watching film and taking notes on every shooters spin. 

EDIT: I don't think he ended the conversation because he lost. I think he ended it because he didn't want to keep talking publicly about being smashed. 

Edited by Mango
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Josh Allen: less committed than Dennis Rodman

terrific stuff here

That clearly isn't what is being said man.

I think the fact that Allen has admitted multiple times that he isn't a big film guy is worthy of discussion. Especially for the QB position, who are generally considered the most avid videophiles in the sport. It doesn't mean he sucks. It doesn't mean he doesn't work hard. it doesn't mean he sucks. But he is an anomaly. 

Just like a lot of things in life, a lot of things can be true at the same time. 

Well, I hope he cools it a bit on the drinking. No good comes from getting smashed all the time.

3 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Not a shock with Josh and the drinking. 

Has he started to lift weights or is he going to continue to get by on "farm" strength?

Do you think skinny arms Tom Brady has ever lifted weights in his life? Josh is a QB. You don't want big, bulky arms as a QB. You want your arms lean.

QB has never been a position that lifting weights is important for.

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I guess this is the part where we start pretending Allen is part of the problem

Oh trust me I've read posters on here who already think he is, not fully committed to saying it yet, but subtle hints here and there. Watch as soon as Josh throws a couple of bad passes or a pick and then the "maybe Whitlock was right" crowd will be out in full force.

• Like (+1) 3

I don't care much for Josh Allen the person. I certainly can't respect someone who treats his body the way he does and approaches his craft the way he does.

He's had a lot to say about being hyper focused on football, but it certainly doesn't seem that way to me.

If Josh would lock in and put in the work of the greats, he could be the best ever and would undoubtedly lead Buffalo to a championship or five.

• Eyeroll 6
  • Disagree 9
  • Dislike 4

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I guess this is the part where we start pretending Allen is part of the problem

There is a small group of Bills "fans" and trolls at 2BD that really get into knocking Allen.  They remind me of those Middle Ages flagellants that whip themselves bloody while chanting. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think it was smart of Josh to shut that down. These are the guys he’s supposed to be able to let his guard down around. Why the heck does Kyle Allen start talking about that in such a public way?

Regarding film study, Josh has referred to the fact that opposing defenses play him very differently than they do other quarterbacks. The argument then becomes that extensive film study has less value. Time might be better spent elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I don't care much for Josh Allen the person. I certainly can't respect someone who treats his body the way he does and approaches his craft the way he does.

He's had a lot to say about being hyper focused on football, but it certainly doesn't seem that way to me.

If Josh would lock in and put in the work of the greats, he could be the best ever and would undoubtedly lead Buffalo to a championship or five.

Just throwing this out there: you've made a decision on the quality of a person that you don't know and likely will never meet based on a tiny fraction of his personal life that you're heard.

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Mango said:

On a number of occasions Josh has mentioned that he doesn't watch film.

C'mon Man.  Where has he said this?  He said he doesn't like to "overwatch" film or get "too into it" or something like that.  There's a world of difference between something to the effect of "I'm not obsessive compulsive about watching film every minute I get" and "I don't watch film".

And Allen gave a reason for what he said - that teams play the Bills differently than what they put on film.

Edit: my best try at a transcript  here

Edited by Beck Water

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

But this is part of a true picture too -

Whattttt???

He's freaking 27 and human, though maybe part alien but point is , he's freaking living life. Geez. Dude is a top QB in the game. 

He's literally having a conversation with 2 of his guys. It's not football 24/7. Relax 

• Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I was a huge Michael Jordan fan growing up, and he is unanimously  known to be one of the most dedicated athletes of all time.  It turns out he would eat fast food, drink, smoke cigars, stay up hours gambling, and played lots of golf.  He is arguably known as the greatest athlete of all time. 

The point is all these guys live lives outside their sport. It doesn't mean they aren't putting in work when they need to, and probably need the breaks to rejuvenate and so they have the energy to dominate when they need to. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

He has always talked about lifting weights for his lower body.  I'm not sure where this "Josh doesn't lift" thing comes from.

He says he works on being "strong but flexible" in his upper body so he doesn't do upper body lifts.  That's not quite the same as "get by on farm strength".  For the record, Brady was public about not lifting weights but working to maintain flexibility with strength. 

I'm not sure what all that entails but I think it means kettleballs, elastic bands, and so forth.

I know we got some guys here who do personal training, maybe they will step up and educate me.

https://www.yahoo.com/now/nfl-quarterback-josh-allen-girlfriend-170726772.html

You look at some of those pictures, and I think it's clear that Allen hasn't exactly been a gym rat. 

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

https://www.yahoo.com/now/nfl-quarterback-josh-allen-girlfriend-170726772.html

You look at some of those pictures, and I think it's clear that Allen hasn't exactly been a gym rat. 

I have a buddy who just bench pressed 500 lbs without a suit/shirt and he looks super fat. Mostly cause he kind is. 

I think Josh lifts and works out. QB's outside of late career Brady and Cam Newton tend to be doughy. Josh is farm boy strong. Corn fed baby!

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I agree. 

When he goes on Kyle Brandt and talks about getting by on natural talent, when he laughs about putting in all the offseason work, and you see these photos of him, no way is he working as hard as he can to put himself into the best position he can.

Let alone all of these stories about drinking.

Then the Phil Simms interview where he talks about box squats, but does nothing up top. It's like okay, then you watch a video of Hurts squatting 600-pounds, see Mahomes back in the gym 10-days after the victory parade, Burrow starting work in March. 

The more of these interviews I hear, the less convinced I am that he works on his body in the offseason. And I noticed it last year that he looked pudgy. 

He's saying now that it's all football and he's never been into it more. I hope so, because as you point out, the talent is there, and so there is more meat on the bone for him to reach another level. 

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

None of them look like what you're talking about, have you seen Mahomes or Lamar 

Scroll to photo 7/8. 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

C'mon Man.  Where has he said this?  He said he doesn't like to "overwatch" film or get "too into it" or something like that.  There's a world of difference between something to the effect of "I'm not obsessive compulsive about watching film every minute I get" and "I don't watch film".

And Allen gave a reason for what he said - that teams play the Bills differently than what they put on film.

Sorry, paraphrasing, I saw the interview as well.  I certainly think he watches film. Might have been fast fingers, but what I meant was something along the lines of "not a huge film guy". Which I think is a fair characterization of the conversation. 

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I agree. 

When he goes on Kyle Brandt and talks about getting by on natural talent, when he laughs about putting in all the offseason work, and you see these photos of him, no way is he working as hard as he can to put himself into the best position he can.

Let alone all of these stories about drinking.

Then the Phil Simms interview where he talks about box squats, but does nothing up top. It's like okay, then you watch a video of Hurts squatting 600-pounds, see Mahomes back in the gym 10-days after the victory parade, Burrow starting work in March. 

The more of these interviews I hear, the less convinced I am that he works on his body in the offseason. And I noticed it last year that he looked pudgy. 

Scroll to photo 7/8. 

0_brittanylynne_35999193_469867620133363

and for the record I am very unhappy you made me type 'pat mahomes beach no shirt' into the google

• Haha (+1) 4

35 minutes ago, Udubalum07 said:

I was a huge Michael Jordan fan growing up, and he is unanimously  known to be one of the most dedicated athletes of all time.  It turns out he would eat fast food, drink, smoke cigars, stay up hours gambling, and played lots of golf.  He is arguably known as the greatest athlete of all time. 

The point is all these guys live lives outside their sport. It doesn't mean they aren't putting in work when they need to, and probably need the breaks to rejuvenate and so they have the energy to dominate when they need to. 

The Jordan stories were legendary.  Blew my mind as I got older and learned that he would stay up till 5am playing cards, go get an hour of sleep, wake up at 6am to go play 36 holes of golf before some of his basketball games.  Some guys are just absolute freaks/forces of nature.  It definitely seems like Josh is one of those dudes who has an insane amount of God given talent.  

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Sorry, paraphrasing, I saw the interview as well.  I certainly think he watches film. Might have been fast fingers, but what I meant was something along the lines of "not a huge film guy". Which I think is a fair characterization of the conversation. 

I disagree on yours being a fair characterization. 

What Allen did was nod and say "yeah.  yeah" when McAfee asked if he was "huge film guy". 

What he actually said is that he doesn't like to "overindulge" in film, and I actually thought his comments there about other teams tending to play the Bills differently than they play most offenses were interesting.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Mango said:

That clearly isn't what is being said man.

I think the fact that Allen has admitted multiple times that he isn't a big film guy is worthy of discussion. Especially for the QB position, who are generally considered the most avid videophiles in the sport. It doesn't mean he sucks. It doesn't mean he doesn't work hard. it doesn't mean he sucks. But he is an anomaly. 

Just like a lot of things in life, a lot of things can be true at the same time. 

Multiple times?  Name them.  With McAfee he specifically said “yeah, yeah” when asked if he does a lot of film.  What he then said is he doesn’t get fixated on film because teams play the Bills offense differently than other offenses so he doesn’t want to get overly locked onto things in case they change just for the Bills offense.

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

What’s the time stamp of that comment?  I want to understand the context.  To me, that’s concerning and the first I’ve heard it 

24 minutes ago, Virgil said:

What’s the time stamp of that comment?  I want to understand the context.  To me, that’s concerning and the first I’ve heard it 

I put it here, along with my best effort at an accurate transcript.  What he actually said was he doesn't like to "overindulge in film"

Fair admission that my characterizing this as "he doesn't like to get too into watching film on upcoming opponents" can be misinterpreted and apparently has been - though I still think there's a long walk between "doesn't like to get too into" and "doesn't watch" or "isn't a big film guy".

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

How well do you know him?  How many times have you met?

• Eyeroll 1

21 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Back Water is right.  That discussion centered on how Josh can't rely on film during the game planning/practice process.  He mentioned for example, that he would see something on film and expect the rush to come from the right, when in actuality, because teams play the Bills differently, the exact opposite could occur.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.