Who was the staring O-line group today?

Mooshocker12

Thanks Jkeerie as I could only watch the quarter by quarter highlights.  It airs Mooshocker tomorrow at 1 pm on NFLN.  If I have time, I’m going to catch it.  Lastly, it makes sense with McGovern nursing that small injury.  I thought McD said it wasn’t a big deal, just giving him extra rest.

Ok, anyone have some feedback on Brown today?

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Brown, Torrence, Morse, Edwards and Dawkins.  They played well.

too much sun today, and reading this melted my brain lol

i too did not get to watch, but from the extended 10min highlights on youtube (very limited obv), it looked like the OL played well?

Anybody wanna give a run down of what they saw out of Edwards, Torrence, and Brown?  Loooks like they got a few more drives then Josh

They looked steady today.  No major gaffs.  It was good to see Edwards subbed nicely for McGovern and Bates for Morse.  Quess didn't play badly at LT though he was called for a penalty.  Van Demark not as solid at RT as he is at LT.  Anderson was moved all over.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

They looked steady today.  No major gaffs.  It was good to see Edwards subbed nicely for McGovern and Bates for Morse.  Quess didn't play badly at LT though he was called for a penalty.  Van Demark not as solid at RT as he is at LT.  Anderson was moved all over.

Looks like Morse played 1Q maybe?  Def glad to hear Edwards playing nicely. Pretty awesome to have improved starter, andddddd have the LG backup be better than last years starter as bonus

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Brown was solid today.  Pretty clean in pass pro, and it seemed like he and Torrence got push in the run game.  I saw Morse get absolutely blown up a couple times though.  😬 

One of the blow ups I think was on Edwards. On the play the guy Edwards blocks first slides off and blow up Morse. I think he was expected to help Torrence and Torrence slides his guy inside, but Morse is already off balance while Edwards blocked nobody. Of course no way to know if that was the assignment, that's just my take on it. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Looks like Morse played 1Q maybe?  Def glad to hear Edwards playing nicely. Pretty awesome to have improved starter, andddddd have the LG backup be better than last years starter as bonus

Morse played one series.  He sat after Josh and Diggs left the game.

• Agree 1

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

One of the blow ups I think was on Edwards. On the play the guy Edwards blocks first slides off and blow up Morse. I think he was expected to help Torrence and Torrence slides his guy inside, but Morse is already off balance while Edwards blocked nobody. Of course no way to know if that was the assignment, that's just my take on it. 

That was a filthy throw.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

The run blocking was much improved today Cook had some nice holes up the middle and we got push. Pass pro was adequate except for a few plays. Evans over 6.0 yds per carry and Ty Johnson and Cook about 5.  We enforced our will when we were up and able to run clock and keep the chains moving.  I really wish we would have offered more for Lance.  Kyle Allen is not a great backup QB although he made a few good throws.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I've become the Anderson fanboi here but he wasn't good at RT. Once he moved back inside he looked as he has all preseason, mauling people.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

They reversed the positions? 

Nah he just writes in Hebrew.  From right to left. 😂

All kidding aside, I wondered why he went from right to left, and then thought about the Hebrew reference.

So for the line geeks out there, tell us more on the line play.  I’m aware the Bears sucked last year, but supposedly they added a bunch of talent.

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yeah, watched it a few times.  Justin Jones (93) just completed mauled him.  Wow.  

You watch it a little closer and you'll realize that he ended up engaged with both DT's at the same time by himself because of screw ups on either side of him, and managed to hold them up just long enough for Allen to get out of town.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jkeerie said:

Overall not bad. The block in the back was unnecessary, and a terrible call. Cook was already cutting and the lb wasn’t even close to touching him. Torrence on the Harris TD mauled and it was damn nice to see!

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Overall not bad. The block in the back was unnecessary, and a terrible call. Cook was already cutting and the lb wasn’t even close to touching him. Torrence on the Harris TD mauled and it was damn nice to see!

I disagree.  Sanborn was in position to tackle Cook.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

You're right, penalty was at the point of attack.  That's gonna get called all day long.

I went blind staring at the title of this thread....

The block or barely touch was in space. Cook was cutting against the flow and the Lb had zero chance to tackle Cook.

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

It’s just interesting whenever Spencer Brown plays well, you don’t hear a damn thing about him if he doesn’t play well there’s five threads

Don’t worry, there will just be five threads about Elam, Gabe Davis, Dodson, Kyle Allen, and Klein instead to fill up the gap.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Crazy how much he looks like Mahomes (or Mahomes looks like him?) on that play. 

5 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Nah I think that play is on Torrence. He loses the inside instantly on the snap. Even if he is expecting help you don't let that pass rusher get inside leverage off the first step. Morse just gets bull rushed and can't hold up although I agree on that doesn't quite look like Edwards and Morse were in the same mind as to the assignment. But Morse's head never looks right so I don't think he was supposed to help Torrence. More likely he and Edwards were supposed to have some sort of combo going on, it ends up a 1v1 for Morse and he gets beat. 

Thought that was the only really breakdown by the first unit on their one drive. 

For the OP it basically went:

1st drive (left to right):

Dawkins Edwards Morse Torrence Brown

2nd drive (l to r):

Dawkins Edwards Bates Torrence Brown

3rd drive (l to r):

Quessenbery Boettger Bates Torrence Brown

And the the 4th drive they pulled Torrence and Brown with Kevin Jarvis (who knew he was a thing) going in at right guard and Alec Anderson at right tackle. Anderson got blown up a couple of times and they made the change to Van Demark at RT who started well but had a couple of breakdowns late on. 

Couple of things I noticed..... Brown was solid while the first team was out there but gave up a pressure on his final drive (final play) when a Bear edge rusher flew round the outside on 3rd down and Kyle Allen, about to get sacked, did one of his chuck up a lateral numbers... luckily Isabella caught it but for no gain. 

It was comfortably Ike Boettger's best outing in pre-season. Playing as the second left guard through in the rotation behind Edwards I thought he had a much better night. 

Didn't think Ryan Bates had his best peformance and it's been an odd pre-season for him. Lost his starting guard job to the rookie Torrence and then even when McGovern goes down isn't the next man up at guard. He has been a steady 2nd team center but last night he gave up a pressure on Allen and was responsible for a batted ball just before the interception where he disengaged his guy too early. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

Have to respectfully disagree Doc. Cook cut away from the angle Sanborn was taking and had no shot at a tackle. Quess had no reason to lay a hand on him.

Well it was Edwards not Quess....

3 hours ago, Doc said:

I disagree.  Sanborn was in position to tackle Cook.

It was unnecessary in the sense that it was already a play that had gained yards. It wouldn't have sprung him for a 1st down without the block in the back.... but they should have just taken the 3 or 4 yard gain and moved onto the next play. 

9 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Brown was solid today.  Pretty clean in pass pro, and it seemed like he and Torrence got push in the run game.  I saw Morse get absolutely blown up a couple times though.  😬 

Not only has Morse missed blocks, but he's screwed up blocking assignments... No one leaves a one tech DT alone to a Guard. It was on the JA rollout play to the right. We are going to need a center next year. 

11 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Morse and Torrence had poor games in pass protection. Morse doesn’t look his particularly average self this preseason. A little concerning. I’m predicting Bates is the starting center pretty early this season. Maybe Morse has an injury he’s dealing with.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Well it was Edwards not Quess....

It was unnecessary in the sense that it was already a play that had gained yards. It wouldn't have sprung him for a 1st down without the block in the back.... but they should have just taken the 3 or 4 yard gain and moved onto the next play. 

My mistake, it was Edwards but it was not a block in the back and as others have pointed out, Cook had already cut away from the path of the would be tackler even without the contact.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Morse and Torrence had poor games in pass protection. Morse doesn’t look his particularly average self this preseason. A little concerning. I’m predicting Bates is the starting center pretty early this season. Maybe Morse has an injury he’s dealing with.

He will need to play better than he has played in pre-season to be that. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

My mistake, it was Edwards but it was not a block in the back and as others have pointed out, Cook had already cut away from the path of the would be tackler even without the contact.

Ok @GunnerBill, no problem, we’ll agree to disagree 

Edited by BuffaninSarasota
E

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.