Elam now CB4 and playing kickoff coverage in the preseason

Process

What's your play here?

Hang onto him and hope he develops?

Trade him while he still has some value? If he's not playing, his value will only go down the further we get from when he was drafted. 

I would say trade him, but we don't have a lot of depth. Who is CB4 then, Austin? If a bad team offered a 3rd, I'd probably take it. 

I didn't follow him in college, but him not being a fit for our defense is not a surprise, right? We knew that already going into the draft? That's the frustrating part. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

I was going to wait until the game was over to make this exact post. 

I really think the Bills should take trade offers for him.  It’s not that he isn’t good. He just doesn’t fit our system.  

A team like the Ravens would love to have him and I’m sure there are other DB needy teams. 

Ideally, there’s a team out there with good OT or MLB depth that needs a DB, but this isn’t Madden. 

For me, if you can get a 2nd rounder, go for it 

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Disagree 2

Just now, Virgil said:

I was going to wait until the game was over to make this exact post. 

I really think the Bills should take trade offers for him.  It’s not that he isn’t good. He just doesn’t fit our system.  

A team like the Ravens would love to have him m, and I’m sure there are other DB needy teams. 

Ideally, there’s a team out there with good OT or MLB depth that needs a DB, but this isn’t Madden. 

For me, if you can get a 2nd rounder, go for it 

there are precisely ZERO teams going to trade an OT of any quality for a CB

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I still don’t understand this. I thought he was quite good at times last year. Had 2 huge ints

Something is happening in practice to where he’s behind Tre, Benford, and Jackson.  

Whatever it is, he’s not worth his contract to this team 

1 minute ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

there are precisely ZERO teams going to trade an OT of any quality for a CB

Why would you leave out the part of the quote where I indicated the same.  Hence why I said, this isn’t Madden

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 1

Eh, it's preseason. And you know there will be injuries. He is a good player and he'll get playing time. If he doesn't start, that's not the end of the world. Getting some more time to develop will help.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 13
  • Thank you (+1) 2

You hold onto him and work to develop him unless you can trade him for an above average MLB.  If you can get someone serviceable in here at MLB, as much as I want to be patient with Elam because he does have talent, we need to worry about this season first.

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Same here. I want to say this pick was a disagreement between management and coach. Coaches loved Dane Jackson. They aren’t even giving Elam the time of day.

I don't know. Mcdermott was literally licking his lips when Elam whipped out the notebook in the predraft interview. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

There were times last season where he looked like he had a lot of potential.  The only action I’ve seen this preseason was against the Steelers, and he legitimately looked as bad as any CB I’ve ever seen.   He’s one of the strangest cases I’ve ever seen.  

There is about 0% chance they are trading him. First they wouldn't give up on him after 1 season in which he actually played pretty well, as others have pointed out. 

There is also the salary cap consideration. He has a dead cap number of over $11 million. The signing bonus hit alone would be a $5.4 million hit this year, I don't exactly how that works in trades but they would have at least the $5.4 million hit of the bonus. The other is guaranteed money I think and I'm not sure how that works.

Let's see how things play out. The trade Elam sentiment is the classic "glass is half empty" scenario. How about Dane Jackson is playing well and they may have found a late round gem in Benford and as a result all 3 are starting caliber CB2s. 

Nice to have the depth.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

There is about 0% chance they are trading him. First they wouldn't give up on him after 1 season in which he actually played pretty well, as others have pointed out. 

He went from competing for a starting job at the beginning of TC to 4th string CB and playing special teams by the end of it. They clearly don't think he is playing well. 

Edited by Process

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Why would you trade him? His value has to be what, a max of a 4th round pick? You'd be killing $11M of cap space for a 4th or 5th round pick? He's worth more than that as a 4th DB.

I’d hope the goal is to trade him for another young player in a similar roster predicament to add to a position with less depth, i.e. CB for LB if such a match is out there.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Virgil said:

Wow, that's a lot lower than I thought.  I figured all first rounders were making at least 3 mil per, even if in years 3-5.

Almost a $4M cap hit this year. I have no idea how cap works though and if we would actually realize savings if we traded him. 

14 minutes ago, Process said:

I don't know. Mcdermott was literally licking his lips when Elam whipped out the notebook in the predraft interview. 

Really confusing.. I see no reason to trade him. One injury and he’s CB 3. Assuming he actually is CB4. All I can guess is that he’s reluctant to take coaching ? 

32 minutes ago, Process said:

What's your play here?

Hang onto him and hope he develops?

Trade him while he still has some value? If he's not playing, his value will only go down the further we get from when he was drafted. 

I would say trade him, but we don't have a lot of depth. Who is CB4 then, Austin? If a bad team offered a 3rd, I'd probably take it. 

I didn't follow him in college, but him not being a fit for our defense is not a surprise, right? We knew that already going into the draft? That's the frustrating part. 

Or…it’s possible you’re reading too much into this final preseason game considering they have been giving 3 guys looks at CB2 and that the order they played today may not be an indicator of final depth chart.  It could be, but we don’t really know.  

They also could be showcasing one of the other DBs for a potential trade and getting them work.  

So before we jump to conclusions, I’d prefer to see how it plays out and what week 1 depth chart looks like.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I still don’t understand this. I thought he was quite good at times last year. Had 2 huge ints

I agree. Some of the penalties that have gone against him have been bs too imo. Admittedly the Steelers game was a bad look but most of the team was bad too. 

Edited by BillsSbSoon

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.