Dion Dawkins

Toledo Bill

43 minutes ago, Chaos said:

PFF grades his as an average left tackle.  What else you got?

18 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

The PFF grade I saw was 76.5.   Maybe I am reading it wrong, who knows.  

This is worth having an honest discussion about. Last season PFF rated Dawkins at 73.5 overall. 80.0 pass pro and 62.3 run blocking. His overall grade places him at 24th among offensive tackles. His average salary places him 24th among offensive tackles. 

Dawkins PFF

PFF OT rankings

spotrac OT AAV

To date it seems as though his play matches his performance. There are 64 starting OTs in the league and he’s 24th. That’s a little above average and he’s a better pass blocker than run blocker, which is preferable to the other way around.

I don’t have any complaints about last year or the years prior, but it’s worth looking ahead. He is under contract this year and next. It was front loaded so he’s only due cash of $9.855M this season and $10.3M next. That’s a very good deal if you can get average or better play out of him.

The concerns about how out of shape Dawkins has come into TC can’t be ignored though. He’s 29 now so he’s signed through his 30 year old season. Getting back into shape will become more and more difficult if he continues to do that. IMO the smart move is to have him play out his deal but try to find his replacement in the draft next offseason. He can coexist with a rookie for a year. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Einstein said:

Our offensive line is in rough shape for the future.

LT - Dawkins is turning 30 this upcoming year and looks like he doesn't have many seasons left.

C  - Is a walking concussion and I'm honestly shocked he is even still playing

RT - Just horrendous.

Dawkins at 30 should have 3-4 good years left. Many OT’s go well into the 30’s.. but he needs to take care of his body. Disappointing and surprising that with all  the Bills training, nutrition, and resources that DD isn’t more fit. I totally agree on C and RT. 
At what point does the lens focus on Kromer the OL whisperer?? 😂 

My suspicion is that he's a freak athlete that was always the "exception" and didn't need to train at his size.  Age 30 isn't 22, and he'll need to realize that if he wants to be in this career in 5 years he needs to change what he's always done.  

He appears to be an absolute great guy and teammate, but it's time that the team trainers take over.

Edited by DasNootz
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, 97bills said:

Our entire oline needs upgraded , we’ve spent big money on defense, while our oline is a hope and prayer every year..When we drafted Allen we should’ve put a top tier oline in front of him. I guess we’re going by the colts play book , and we’re going to wait until it’s to late. All that money on defense, and Allen still has to run around for his life and score 35 points… big baller bean lol 

I think it's McDermott that runs everything!..Bean just goes shopping for McDermotts list .. McDermott runs this team fully and that's a problem 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

What are you taking about ? How would you have any knowledge of this? He would not playing if so. And the Bills are required to inform the league if he has an injury or illness. Due to HIPPA they can’t state the issue, just that he unavailable. 

Yea Dawkins would be on PUP list until he was medically cleared.  If he lost some strength from his bout with civid all the more reason he should have worked on gradually conditioning his body to regain and even surpass his previous ability.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

What are you taking about ? How would you have any knowledge of this? He would not playing if so. And the Bills are required to inform the league if he has an injury or illness. Due to HIPPA they can’t state the issue, just that he unavailable. 

Do me a favor.  Go to the library.  Find a dictionary.  Look up the word wonder.

16 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Yikes long COVID symptoms would not allow DD to be playing football. He’s overweight and out of shape. 

They don’t necessarily keep him from playing.  He is not actively infected.  But the long term sequel as can go on for a while and affect things like the ability to condition as well as one would like.

10 hours ago, Toledo Bill said:

.Dawkins is such a poor reflection on our coaching staff. Ok, I know he has a big contract and would be hard to move on from but it is ridiculous to have this guy show up every year more out of shape.

He shows no leadership skills and comes across as a fat clown.

He holds a premier position and has turned into, at best an average left tackle.

I really am disappointed that something can’t be done about this. Maybe behind the scenes McD is all over him but I doubt it.

I really feel that his attitude and conditioning has negatively affected the entire team.

I'm not really sure what this post even means, they don't call OL "big uglies" because they're chisled Aaron Donalds, He's overweight but still athletic, he's an above average LT, nothing more, nothing less imo. So you're suggesting to trade him for a draft picks and pick up a street FA whose worse and needs time to gel and learn our system? I'm not understanding this post at all.

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Do me a favor.  Go to the library.  Find a dictionary.  Look up the word wonder.

They don’t necessarily keep him from playing.  He is not actively infected.  But the long term sequel as can go on for a while and affect things like the ability to condition as well as one would like.

No need to get all  defensive. This is a forum and I happen to be questioning your thoughts.
I am aware of wonder. I just wonder if you’re obsessive with long COVID 😂

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

The Patriots* do not approve of this message. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Shortchaz said:

Team full of these types. Be cool to mix in a couple straight up murderers here and there. 

I wonder if some litmus test for playing here is if you intimidate the coach with your personality. 

Interesting take..

Edited by BillsFan2313

26 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Dawkins at 30 should have 3-4 good years left. Many OT’s go well into the 30’s.. but he needs to take care of his body. Disappointing and surprising that with all  the Bills training, nutrition, and resources that DD isn’t more fit. I totally agree on C and RT. 
At what point does the lens focus on Kromer the OL whisperer?? 😂 

If you are the Man Around Town bringing THE BIG SHOW, how can you possibly have more time for the Training & Weight Room?

Why are you so insensitive to DD's need to grow his social game during his limited years as a NFL player?

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

I'm not really sure what this post even means, they don't call OL "big uglies" because they're chisled Aaron Donalds, He's overweight but still athletic, he's an above average LT, nothing more, nothing less imo. So you're suggesting to trade him for a draft picks and pick up a street FA whose worse and needs time to gel and learn our system? I'm not understanding this post at all.

He is not above average and is going to get Josh killed.

Where did I suggest they trade him for draft picks and pick up street free agents?? But as long as you mention it…

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Toledo Bill said:

He is not above average and is going to get Josh killed.

Where did I suggest they trade him for draft picks and pick up street free agents?? But as long as you mention it…

"I know he has a big contract and would be hard to move on from" That's what you wrote. So it suggests you're looking to move on from him, who are we going to start there in his place. I belive he's above average, you don't and that's fine so who are we replacing him with. I don't see anyone out there who would be an upgrade.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel2014

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

"I know he has a big contract and would be hard to move on from" That's what you wrote. So it suggests you're looking to move on from him, who are we going to start there in his place. I belive he's above average, you don't and that's fine so who are we replacing him with. I don't see anyone out there who would be an upgrade.

I guess I was thinking of moving on from him in the future (possibly next year). I realize that any move this year, unless we could work a trade with him going for another teams tackle would not result in our getting a quality player. 
I am just so disappointed in him I would welcome an opportunity for improvement ( but don’t have a solution).

23 minutes ago, Toledo Bill said:

I guess I was thinking of moving on from him in the future (possibly next year). I realize that any move this year, unless we could work a trade with him going for another teams tackle would not result in our getting a quality player. 
I am just so disappointed in him I would welcome an opportunity for improvement ( but don’t have a solution).

I think you may be a little bit harsh on him, like I said he's above average... he had 953 snaps at LT last season, had 12 penalties (tied for 4th in the league), only allowed 3 sacks in 953 snaps lastseason, that's not bad at all imo. Of all the OL we need to upgrade he is the last guy I'd think of but that's just me. He had a bad preseason game but I'd rather him get the kinks out now, plus he's a 2 time pro bowler and excels in pass blocking. 

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

I think you may be a little bit harsh on him, like I said he's above average... he had 953 snaps at LT last season, had 12 penalties (tied for 4th in the league), only allowed 3 sacks in 953 snaps lastseason, that's not bad at all imo. Of all the OL we need to upgrade he is the last guy I'd think of but that's just me. He had a bad preseason game but I'd rather him get the kinks out now, plus he's a 2 time pro bowler and excels in pass blocking. 

Thanks for the input… let’s revisit at mid-season. I hope I will be congratulating you on being right.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Einstein said:

Our offensive line is in rough shape for the future.

LT - Dawkins is turning 30 this upcoming year and looks like he doesn't have many seasons left.

C  - Is a walking concussion and I'm honestly shocked he is even still playing

RT - Just horrendous.

Should have been the focus of the off-season/draft the last 2 years, instead we have the Ghost of 2 former pro-bowl DEs, wasted draft picks and more money tied into the DL.  This may well be the reset year where it becomes painfully clear McBean should have been fired 2 years ago.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I see you are doubling down on this nonsense. 😂

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I see you are doubling down on this nonsense. 😂

I see wondering about things is not allowed in your world apparently.  Long Covid is a real thing.  I presume we would have heard if he has it but it’s a condition with a range of symptoms.  

55 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Should have been the focus of the off-season/draft the last 2 years, instead we have the Ghost of 2 former pro-bowl DEs, wasted draft picks and more money tied into the DL.  This may well be the reset year where it becomes painfully clear McBean should have been fired 2 years ago.

Do this.  Go back, watch every offensive play in the first half, and focus just on Brown.  I did.  And he played OK.

your nonsense about firing these guys is just that.

50 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I see wondering about things is not allowed in your world apparently.  Long Covid is a real thing.  I presume we would have heard if he has it but it’s a condition with a range of symptoms.  

Keep digging…the hole gets deeper and deeper. Just hope Dawkins doesn’t collapse and fall in on top of you. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

he had 953 snaps at LT last season, had 12 penalties (tied for 4th in the league), only allowed 3 sacks in 953 snaps lastseason, that's not bad at all imo. 

This could potentially be a bit misleading because we have a QB that can evade sacks. Allen often turns what would be a sack for many QB’s, into a positive play.

For example, Dawkins only allowed 3 sacks last year, but he also allowed 30 hurries and 37 QB pressures. That’s a total of 70 sacks/hurries/pressures.

This chart shows how Allen’s sack rate is among the lowest in the NFL despite being pressured often:

https://x.com/sharpfootball/status/1692899902039187468?s=46

IMG-1902.jpg

I've always felt that Dawkins has been overrated and nothing more than average on his good days. And a lot of folks used the covid stuff for an excuse the last few years given his well documented bouts with that.

But if he is truly washed I dread seeing JA17 run for his life and try and survive a full 17 game season in Buffalo this year especially against the type of defenses we are going to see on a weekly basis, including all 6 division games.

• Like (+1) 1

The Athletic reviews this serious deficiency, we all saw!

“Offensive tackle was an issue, and the depth is getting dire

The Bills were up against an extremely talented Steelers defensive line, but the performances they got from almost all of their offensive tackles lacked in a big way. It began with their starters — Dion Dawkins on the left side and Spencer Brown on the right. Dawkins is the clear-as-day top offensive tackle on the team, though some flaws in his pass protection against the Steelers are nowhere close to the positive tune-up the Bills would have liked to see from their top left tackle. He even had a false start penalty mixed in, and the inefficient evening likely played a role into his playing for an additional drive after quarterback Josh Allen subbed out of the game. Dawkins is a sneaky storyline this year, as his play dropped off slightly in 2022, and he’s now in his age-29 season. With a $15.3 million cap hit in 2024, Dawkins needs a bounce-back year. As for Brown, he had a pair of 10-yard penalties and a handful of bad reps as a pass protector. It just hasn’t looked like everything has come together as it should have, as though he may be thinking through each rep rather than letting his physical tools take over. But he’s in no jeopardy of surrendering his job, because the depth at offensive tackle is getting worse by the week.

Brandon Shell’s early-week retirement, combined with a potential long-term injury for Tommy Doyle and continued poor play from swing tackle David Quessenberry really puts the Bills in a bind. Quessenberry has not done enough this summer to warrant a locked-in roster spot, and a bad beat early into his playing time in the third quarter is more evidence he could be a significant liability if he has to play any snaps in 2023. He also entered the game after some younger offensive tackle options for the second week in a row, which is not the best sign for his roster safety.

The lone bright spot from the game is reserve tackle Ryan Van Demark, who put together some good tape while taking 33 snaps at left tackle. Now with Doyle potentially out of the picture, and Quessenberry continuing to struggle, Van Demark’s bid for a spot on the 53-man roster is growing stronger by the day. However, the Bills cannot entrust the 2022 undrafted free agent as their primary swing tackle in 2023, so they need to look intently at outside reinforcements. One name to keep in mind is Jason Peters, who began his career in Buffalo. Peters, although he’s 41 years old with his best days behind him, played over 200 snaps in Dallas last year and over 800 in Philadelphia the year before. It would be a poetic end to a career to return to where it started for one of the best offensive linemen of the last two decades.”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

One name to keep in mind is Jason Peters, who began his career in Buffalo. Peters, although he’s 41 years old with his best days behind him, played over 200 snaps in Dallas last year and over 800 in Philadelphia the year before. It would be a poetic end to a career to return to where it started for one of the best offensive linemen of the last two decades.”

Even sites like PFF get their facts wrong.  Peters played in Chicago in 2021.  As bad as that line was they chose not to resign him.

He played on 500 snaps in Philadelphia in 2020 due to going on IR 2 separate times during the season missing 8 games.

When in Dallas last season 1/3 of his snaps came in the last game blowout loss to the Redskins.

Not saying he isn't worth a visit to OBD, but his play has been rapidly declining.

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

This could potentially be a bit misleading because we have a QB that can evade sacks. Allen often turns what would be a sack for many QB’s, into a positive play.

For example, Dawkins only allowed 3 sacks last year, but he also allowed 30 hurries and 37 QB pressures. That’s a total of 70 sacks/hurries/pressures.

This chart shows how Allen’s sack rate is among the lowest in the NFL despite being pressured often:

IMG-1902.jpg

Good graph.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

IMG-1902.jpg

He’s also a QB that holds the ball longer than most QBs. There’s a give and take. Allen is not the type of QB to release it fast and take what the defense gives you. He does put a lot of pressure on an offensive line and he also helps out his offensive line when they can’t hold up or get beat.

• Agree 2

Im not as down on Dawkins as most, but I believe he has the 5th highest cap hit on the team if I am not mistaken, so I get why there are higher expectations around him.  I think Dion will be better this year without that trash can Saffold next to him.  

I am much more concerned with Brown at RT than I am with anything on the left side.  I am hoping that the presence of O'Cyrus and more reps to get rust off help Brown take a step forward this year, but until we see that I am going to remain concerned.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Going into training camp Ryan Van Demark was listed as OT #6 I believe and just hoping for a spot on the practice squad. Now he's an injury away from protecting Josh's blind side in a real game.

A truly scary thought.

Sad reality though is barring a big trade in which we give up picks/players of worth in return we're probably rolling with the roster as is heading into the Jets game.

Dawkins bad preseason game is getting blow out of proportion... I went back and watched and paid particular attention to Dion and Spencer. There where times where Dawkins did his job, stayed in front of his man, creating a pocket but Josh didn't step up in and Dawkins man made the play. There where other plays where the ball was held on to for to long, some of this was a result of a god awful amount of penalties, go back and watch, when the ball is snapped count to three, if at the count of 3 Dion is still in front of his man and Josh is still holding the ball even though the man Dion was blocking made the play he still did his job. Now Spencer Brown on the other hand plays with terrible pad level, The leverage he plays at is awful. It looks like he is standing straight up. He has had all offseason to learnt to keep his hips under him, its like a QB thats always had a huge arm but cant wrap his head around the mental part of the NFL...He's a big powerful man and probably has spent his life slapping people around and not learning proper form, Talent isn't enough in this league. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.