Really excited about the impact Conor McGovern signing that's barely talked about will have on the O

JerseyBills

His name is Conor McGovern 

Stepped in day 1 and took over as starting LG, never heard much of anything about him which is great for an OL. Not a peep of competition or anything,  he locked down LG1 since day 1, excited about him since day 1, very high potential 

Considering we literally had the worse G in the game there, he should provide the whole OL and O with a significant boost. Loved a few runs to the left I saw in practice and games. 

• Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

23 hours ago, Doc said:

And if Torrence starts, it means he outplayed Bates and that's an upgrade at that position over last year.  And if Brown is recovered from back surgery, it's an upgrade there as well. 

Absolutely!!!

The fact that they never even tried Bates as competition for LG means McGovern showed out

I loved loved the signing at the time.  He didn't get much opportunities in Dallas, and did well when he did..

I think he can be very good. 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I am hopeful but reserving judgement for real games  The Bills do not have a track record of identifying guards very well.  The paid Feliciano, Saffold and other that ultimately did not work out well.

Ya but McGovern got 3 years , usually they'd go with 1 year, so to me that shows they believe in him long term and as I said,  his potential is sky high

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

And if Torrence starts, it means he outplayed Bates and that's an upgrade at that position over last year.  And if Brown is recovered from back surgery, it's an upgrade there as well. 

And allows or Bates to give either starter a few plays if they need a breather.  Rookies sometimes hit a lil patch they haven't been conditioned to the longer season. Plus opponents are all NFL caliber which is more of a pounding in trenches than college.

• Agree 1

Just now, Airseven said:

McGovern stepped in day 1 because he had literally no one to compete with for the spot.

Edwards? Has multiple starts

Bates? 

I'm just saying we barely heard a peep about Conor since day 1 which is usually a great sign for an ol cause majority of the time they only get talked about when they get beat

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

His name is Conor McGovern 

Stepped in day 1 and took over as starting LG, never heard much of anything about him which is great for an OL. Not a peep of competition or anything,  he locked down LG1 since day 1, excited about him since day 1, very high potential 

Considering we literally had the worse G in the game there, he should provide the whole OL and O with a significant boost. Loved a few runs to the left I saw in practice and games. 

I'm with you on this. One of the biggest problems on our offense was the quick pressure right up the middle on passing plays. Enter McGovern, who has a reputation as big very solid in pass blocking. 

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I have no idea why they didn't keep Bates at LG last year, where he looked good in 2021, and sign a RG in FA.  But I guess they don't view him as a LG so I think that is over.  I do they think they're grooming him for C next year, where releasing/retiring Morse will save $8.5M, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't also start at RG if Torrence were struggling.  I guess we'll see this weekend whether Torrence starts again at RG and IMHO he should.

I feel the exact same way

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Bates? 

I'm just saying we barely heard a peep about Conor since day 1 which is usually a great sign for an ol cause majority of the time they only get talked about when they get beat

Agreed. Good sign for an OL. Hopefully he performs well and stays healthy as he’s been a bit inconsistent throughout his career. Decent player though, and it won’t take much to be an upgrade over Saffold.

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Bates and Edwards have both started at LG and done well.

They were not competition for McGovern’s spot.

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I understand Teller but what is the relevance of Creed Humphrey?

We could have drafted our center for the Josh Allen era of Bills football.  Morse is not bad as 2nd prize but he's also got more we esr and tear and shelf life is ticking for his career.  Much like Eric Wood had to retire for health concerns.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Airseven said:

Agreed. Good sign for an OL. Hopefully he performs well and stays healthy as he’s been a bit inconsistent throughout his career. Decent player though, and it won’t take much to be an upgrade over Saffold.

I think he really was only banged up year 1

He had 15/15 starts last year because of injury. Dallas had one of the best ol in his time there

He's still very young and could reach his full potential here

Also, I feel Edwards was an insurance policy in a way if they didn't like Conor but I think Conor is the real deal. Said this since day 1

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Bates? 

Yeah not much for the most part. But they talked about him in the Colts game Saturday noting some good blocks.

7 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

They took Boogie Basham 1 pick before Creed obviously they thought taking another high rd DE was more important then taking the future all pro center. 

OK, that is not the same as Teller at all.  They could have would have should have drafted many different guys in hindsight.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

OK, that is not the same as Teller at all.  They could have would have should have drafted many different guys in hindsight.

True, they had Teller and traded him away.  But they already drafted a DE in round 1 and needed an IOL.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

I think Bates's value is as a jack-of-all-trades and as the primary backup to Morse who might be one concussion away from retirement.. Even if the RG battle is close, I think Torrance gets the job. He has upside and will develop even faster if he plays regularly. Bates has likely peaked but his versatility allows the Bills to dress as few as 7 Olinemen,.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Doc, if you listen to Sal, he’s made the point repeatedly that it doesn’t help Bates wallet per year, but he’s important as he can play either G or C.  That makes him valuable for years, and they are going to give Mt. O’Cyrus every opportunity to start.  I believe he will grow into a road grater as a RG.  He’s powerful and strong.

This line should be better on the interior.  You can always count on Dion, and I’ll remain hopeful the sophomore slump was really about the lack of off season and back and neck injuries.  His one minute overblown call out he’s injured again and the next day he’s in practice is just overreactions.

I’ll say what I’ve said before, if Spencer plays poorly again this year, we bench him and place one of the backups in to get by.  We know what our 2nd rd pick will be next year at Guard.  Now if he ends up competent, we have a solid line.  The weapons improved I hope and we still had the #2 scoring offense.  I’ll agree we fizzled a little last year down the stretch, but we still scored a heck of a lot of points.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Airseven said:

McGovern stepped in day 1 because he had literally no one to compete with for the spot.

Letting go of Wyatt Teller wasn't that swift. Hopefully Beane is getting better in this department. It would be such a big help with multi-dimensionality for the offense.

Has there been anything definitive on Torrence taking the starting RG job? I’m just wondering if him getting so many reps is just to get him some experience in case he’s needed this year. If he doesn’t start he would be needed if Bates or Morse got injured.  

3 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I understand Teller but what is the relevance of Creed Humphrey?

Creed was there for Beane to draft. Its not revisionist history either. We were all begging for Creed in real time when Bills were on the clock

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Has there been anything definitive on Torrence taking the starting RG job? I’m just wondering if him getting so many reps is just to get him some experience in case he’s needed this year. If he doesn’t start he would be needed if Bates or Morse got injured.  

Nobody knows. 

I say if Torrence is even close to Bates he should start. Get experience.  If he fails they can always turn back to Bates.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This is true.

Think about it OP. As you pointed out, the Bills had the worst LG in the NFL last season. The reason we never benched him is because we had literally no one else better.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, MJS said:

But they didn't need a center.

Maybe not need, but replacing a $11.1M/year player with a $1.4M/year player, who is better, would have been, well, better.  And he probably could have played OG for a year.

40 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

I think Bates's value is as a jack-of-all-trades and as the primary backup to Morse who might be one concussion away from retirement.. Even if the RG battle is close, I think Torrance gets the job. He has upside and will develop even faster if he plays regularly. Bates has likely peaked but his versatility allows the Bills to dress as few as 7 Olinemen,.

I have to think they're grooming him to replace Morse, by the latest next year.  Cutting him/having him retire frees-up $8.5M.

3 minutes ago, wettlaufer said:

Letting go of Wyatt Teller wasn't that swift. Hopefully Beane is getting better in this department. It would be such a big help with multi-dimensionality for the offense.

It wasn't Beane who made the decision to move him.  He just moved him once the decision was made.

Speaking of Humphrey, they're going to have to pay him a ton of money next off-season.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

You should have stepped up! What an opportunity! 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 2

Davis Edwards was a starter on a Super Bowl team. Bated also can play both sides of the line. Ike is even still on the team. So there were options for the Bills if they wanted to get some other looks at LG

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Or since the best ability is availability, they value Bates' availability as a top tier backup at several different positions more than they value him being a marginal upgrade at a single position as a starter.

4 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Or since the best ability is availability, they value Bates' availability as a top tier backup at several different positions more than they value him being a marginal upgrade at a single position as a starter.

The two aren't mutually exclusive.  As I said in one of the threads talking about the game, Bates could have started at RG if they felt he was the better option and then had him play 2nd team C. 

4 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Ya but McGovern got 3 years , usually they'd go with 1 year, so to me that shows they believe in him long term and as I said,  his potential is sky high

Definitely ran out of 1 year contracts.  Printer is likely backlogged

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.