NFL coach ‘not sure’ Bills’ Josh Allen can consistently win as a passer

sonyab1974

Well, obviously Allen is never going to be a pocket passer like Jim Kelly was.  Even if he never runs for another yard from scrimmage, we know that extending plays and escaping the pocket is clearly a huge part of his game, and nobody should want to see that go away.  Kelly and Elway are both in the HOF.  Both playing styles are totally valid.  

Edited by BillsFanSD

6 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Well, obviously Allen is never going to be a pocket passer like Jim Kelly was.  Even if he never runs for another yard from scrimmage, we know that extending plays and escaping the pocket is clearly a huge part of his game, and nobody should want to see that go away.  Kelly and Elway are both in the HOF.  Both playing styles are totally valid.  

Give him Jim’s OL and he would be. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Elway became strictly a pocket passer later in his career. Of course, it helped having a HOF RB like Davis carrying the load running. Even in his younger days Elway didn't run like Allen does. Josh has been the Bills primary rushing attack. That has to stop. I do think Allen would be a great pocket passer if he had a good OL that would give him time to throw.

He of little faith. "NFL  coach" you are Dismissed! 

When you possess a unicorn at the QB position you let the man do his thing. Running, passing he can do it all. Discount Josh Allen all you want. He doesn't care and neither do I.

m

• Like (+1) 2

This is what’s so stupid about the ring culture. As someone who seriously doubted the Allen pick because of his passing in college, you have to be the biggest moron ever to say this at this point. Despite the Bills have the second most successful run in their history, the only knock is we didn’t win the SB. But Allen has made this team a legit SB contender every year. 

Losman couldn’t win with his arm. Neither could Edwards, Holcomb, and the millions of other bad qbs we had before Allen. If Allen doesn’t win a SB, his passing will be the last reason why.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Seems like an incredibly dumb statement, but I looked at the stats for his 8 playoff games and there's 4 great games and 4 that are meh.  If we win it all then no one cares.  If we don't then the negative Nancy types will get louder.  

Allen owns the regular season, but obviously we want more.  

On 8/7/2023 at 10:03 AM, sonyab1974 said:

No wonder 

On 8/7/2023 at 10:03 AM, sonyab1974 said:

Josh is being judged on the Cinn. game and some turnovers that in many cases were partially caused by him trying to overcome predictable play calling by a rookie OC. Having said that, any NFL coach that puts him in tier 2, better stay unidentified because they would look silly and be bulletin board fodder and get their team buried.

1 hour ago, P Riv said:

Seems like an incredibly dumb statement, but I looked at the stats for his 8 playoff games and there's 4 great games and 4 that are meh.  If we win it all then no one cares.  If we don't then the negative Nancy types will get louder.  

Allen is better in the playoffs than the regular season

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/7/2023 at 11:06 PM, arcane said:

He's 47-17 the last 4 years but I'm gonna need a bigger sample size to be sure.

It's the team that's 47 - 17. It's a team stat.

Having said that, I question that coach. I wonder how it's possible he hasn't seen enough at this point. IMO the only explanation is recency bias and heavily weighting the injured Josh of his last 5-8 games.

2 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

No wonder 

Josh is being judged on the Cinn. game and some turnovers that in many cases were partially caused by him trying to overcome predictable play calling by a rookie OC. Having said that, any NFL coach that puts him in tier 2, better stay unidentified because they would look silly and be bulletin board fodder and get their team buried.

So let Josh believe it was the DC of team we play next then tell him it was a mistake and it was the next DC  until he deciminates all 16 teams we play then it'll just be doing the same thru the post season.  After the season and the 1st Lombardi, he can show the league his consistency by repeating that a couple more years afterwards. 

1 hour ago, 34-78-83 said:

How is Josh even as low as #8 this year on the NFL Top 100 list? I don't understand. I know, I know, that's still really high on the list and its whatever and just a list but seriously...

At some point they just have to start using team accomplishments

There's little other reason for Burrow and Hurts to be so high other than they've gone further in the postseason

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

At some point they just have to start using team accomplishments

There's little other reason for Burrow and Hurts to be so high other than they've gone further in the postseason

The Eagles had an unbelievable string of luck last season. Hurts is a good player, but I'm anxious to see him be tested this year

4 hours ago, P Riv said:

How many good playoff games has burrow had lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Utah John said:

IIRC, it was Mahomes who threw a late interception against the Bills, preventing the Chiefs from coming back to win in last year's game.  

The only thing I can pin on Allen last year was his late fumble against the Vikings, after our D line somehow mounted a goal line stand.  That gave the game away.  Other than that, I can't think of a loss in any game, regular season or playoffs, where Allen had a chance to win or to close out a game, and failed.  

Huh? Allen literally threw a red zone pick in OT in that same Vikings game.

6 hours ago, Gregg said:

Elway became strictly a pocket passer later in his career. Of course, it helped having a HOF RB like Davis carrying the load running. Even in his younger days Elway didn't run like Allen does. Josh has been the Bills primary rushing attack. That has to stop. I do think Allen would be a great pocket passer if he had a good OL that would give him time to throw.

Different era.  Back then, every QB scramble was an opportunity for some LB to lay a free hit on the QB.  Things are totally different now.  I am 100% confident that if John Elway, Randall Cunningham, or Steve Young were playing today in their primes, they would be running just as much as Allen just as effectively.  Allen is a stellar athlete on this dimension, but he's not an all-time athlete.  Plenty of guys would have loved to play QB under today's rules.

(Same goes for passing stats, of course).  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Different era.  Back then, every QB scramble was an opportunity for some LB to lay a free hit on the QB.  Things are totally different now.  I am 100% confident that if John Elway, Randall Cunningham, or Steve Young were playing today in their primes, they would be running just as much as Allen just as effectively.  Allen is a stellar athlete on this dimension, but he's not an all-time athlete.  Plenty of guys would have loved to play QB under today's rules.

(Same goes for passing stats, of course).  

He's definitely one of the all-time athletes at QB

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Hurts, Lamar & Allen are all Tier 2?

It's because he's black Isn't it?! 

I'm just asking, because I don't see color 🫠

No it's true there are people who's brains don't function well.  Look at the latest gem from Colin Cowherd putting the late Dwayne Haskins on his list of qbs that have no chance at winning a super bowl.  They experts are not always the sharpest tools in the shed.  

Ask every DC who over complimented him as a runner game week how that worked out for them.  Pete Carrol, Bill Belicheck, Robert Salah, Vic Fangio.  The best defensive minds in football said this then he has dropped 300 plus yard 4tds and a near perfect passer rating on their heads.  I think the only defense is pressure and hope the single coverage receiver is running a deep route.  Its basically playing the averages of a lower percentage pass.  With his arm healed I expect a Josh closer to 2020 and end of 21 vs last season.    

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.