Joe Klecko HOF - meh...

I'm Spartacus

I'll never forget Jim Kelly's first game in the NFL.  I was in the upper deck on the home side.  Bills v Jest and the Bills were on the Jest 1 yard line.  Klecko deliberately comes out of his stance way early before the ball was snapped and just clobbered Kelly.  One of the dirtiest plays I've ever seen.  ***** Joe Klecko.  Good player, but not HOF worthy.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1

22 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I'll never forget Jim Kelly's first game in the NFL.  I was in the upper deck on the home side.  Bills v Jest and the Bills were on the Jest 1 yard line.  Klecko deliberately comes out of his stance way early before the ball was snapped and just clobbered Kelly.  One of the dirtiest plays I've ever seen.  ***** Joe Klecko.  Good player, but not HOF worthy.

Klecko explained this in Jim Kelly's "A Football Life". He said Kelly was just talking all game and said something to Klecko he didn't like. There was another penalty right before that that moved the ball to the 1 yard line. Red Cashion the ref called the penalty and Klecko said "Red, how can you call that?" And Kelly looked at Klecko and said "oh, first name basis, huh?" And that was when Klecko thought "what a good time for 15 yard penalty. They're only gonna move the ball 6 inches" since they were already at the 1 yard line. To be fair, Kelly was a prick when he played. Not necessarily justifying that play. Just explaining it from how Klecko explained it

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Klecko explained this in Jim Kelly's "A Football Life". He said Kelly was just talking all game and said something to Klecko he didn't like. There was another penalty right before that that moved the ball to the 1 yard line. Red Cashion the ref called the penalty and Klecko said "Red, how can you call that?" And Kelly looked at Klecko and said "oh, first name basis, huh?" And that was when Klecko thought "what a good time for 15 yard penalty. They're only gonna move the ball 6 inches" since they were already at the 1 yard line. To be fair, Kelly was a prick when he played. Not necessarily justifying that play. Just explaining it from how Klecko explained it

Wasn't Red Cashion the ref that did the famous "just give it to them"?

8 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Wasn't Red Cashion the ref that did the famous "just give it to them"?

Red Cashion was " First dahhhnnnn!!!"

16 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Nice story.  Doesn't change my opinion of Klecko one damn bit.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Congrats to him, but for my money Fred Smerlas was better.

Honest question…if he wasn’t a jet would you care?  There are lots of fringe hall of famers in the hall at this point.

Edited by whorlnut
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Congrats to him, but for my money Fred Smerlas was better.

Disagree but neither is a HOFer.

3 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

The Football HOF has gone from you had to be one of the greatest to now very good.  Ken Riley, sorry he doesnt belong either.

Neither did Zach Thomas

Yup becoming the Hall of the Very  Good. 

And I'd say the same thing about Tasker and Levy. Neither should be in the Hall of Fame. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Neither did Zach Thomas

Yup becoming the Hall of the Very  Good. 

And I'd say the same thing about Tasker and Levy. Neither should be in the Hall of Fame. 

Seriously Zach Thomas and Joe Klecko. Certainly Tasker is more worthy.. as well as Marv. 

• Like (+1) 2

I don't get how this player made it into the HoF over Steve Tasker. Although a 4-time Pro Bowl, 2 of those seasons were all pro, and an 11-year career. 78 sacks

If I recall correctly the only notable thing I remember about the guy was ref Ben Dreith throwing a flag for a personal foul on Klecko for "giving him the business down there" after he tackled Kelly.

The Jets lost a lot of games to the Buffalo Bills during his time in the NFL and I get why he wanted to take it out on a QB that was always beating up his team.

7 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

Seriously Zach Thomas and Joe Klecko. Certainly Tasker is more worthy.. as well as Marv. 

Hopefully Steve gets in one day. Ashamed he's not in yet. As far as  Thomas and Klecko? Meh. Thomas is more deserving but it goes to show if you cry long enough they'll eventually give in.

5 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I don't get how this player made it into the HoF over Steve Tasker. Although a 4-time Pro Bowl, 2 of those seasons were all pro, and an 11-year career. 78 sacks

If I recall correctly the only notable thing I remember about the guy was ref Ben Dreith throwing a flag for a personal foul on Klecko for "giving him the business down there" after he tackled Kelly.

The Jets lost a lot of games to the Buffalo Bills during his time in the NFL and I get why he wanted to take it out on a QB that was always beating up his team.

That was Marty Lyons not Klecko. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Of course they fid. Did you see Kleco during the Hall of Fame game.

2 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Sack Exchange was a dirty bunch of SOBs. Wouldn't be surprised if they were juicing during that era.

More players than not were during the era. It wasn't until 1989 that using roids became a suspendable offense.

"Both the NFL and the Jets declined to confirm that Gastineau twice tested positive for steroid, but pointed out that steroids use wasn't punishable by suspension until 1989, a year after Gastineau called it a career."

http://static.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/garber_greg/1305782.html#:~:text=Both the NFL and the,Gastineau called it a career.

Folks don't seem to be very familiar with Joe Klecko in this thread.

He was an outstanding defensive lineman and had ENORMOUS strength.

Like he stood out amongst huge guys playing in the NFL.

Ask anyone who played against him, he was a BEAST.

I remember Will Wolford talking about the difficulties of playing against him.

He's totally HOF worthy IMO.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Darrelle Revis?  That's another soft inductee... /smdh

On 8/5/2023 at 1:45 PM, Buffalo03 said:

Good time for a penalty?  With an automatic 1st Down from the 1? Who cares if it moves only 6 inches, new set of downs is the most valuable!!

11 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Folks don't seem to be very familiar with Joe Klecko in this thread.

He was an outstanding defensive lineman and had ENORMOUS strength.

Like he stood out amongst huge guys playing in the NFL.

Ask anyone who played against him, he was a BEAST.

I remember Will Wolford talking about the difficulties of playing against him.

He's totally HOF worthy IMO.

11 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

FWIW, I think Klecko deserved it.  

I remember Klecko clearly.

He could play inside and outside and had great leverage. It was not unusual for him to forklift blockers and carry them back to the QB.

He was a great player but IMO not a HOFer.

On 8/5/2023 at 2:45 PM, Buffalo03 said:

Was that the "He's givin' him the business down there!" game?  

14 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

That was Marty Lyons not Klecko. 

Same game as the one mentioned?  

6 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Oops, well just looked it up and we were both wrong as it was #99, Mark Gastineau. 

Who remembers Ben Dreith's "Giving him the business" call (narkive.com)

Nope. Marty Lyons was the player punching Kelly. The ref misidentified his number on the call.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63658/famous-giving-him-the-business-call-from-jets-bills-game-turns-30-years-old

https://fb.watch/mg77H9ULbQ/?mibextid=Nif5oz

Edited by BuffaloBillyG

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.