Giants signing DT Brandin Bryant

HOUSE

• HOUSE changed the title to Giants signing ex Bill DT Brandin Bryant
  • HOUSE changed the title to Giants signing DT Brandin Bryant
2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Honestly would have rather brought him back than Jordan Phillips. 

Same here.  Vet minimum and would actually be active on Sundays.  Phillips is clearly the better player when available….. yet never available 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Really? Why? I can remember a bunch of plays Phillips made. Not so much Bryant but idk I'm just wondering 

I thought Bryant flashed a bit when he got his opportunity. Add in he likely would have been less expensive and had more long term upside. And of course one of Phillips calling cards over the last few seasons has been his inability to stay healthy.

Phillips is ok when healthy. And he's a lot of fun to watch rev up the crowd. I'll give him that.

• Like (+1) 2

Solid player, but that’s about it.  

Adequate.  Can definitely do worse. 

Count me as someone who would rather have Phillips.   Hopefully he doesn’t try to sprint after QB’s for no reason in the open field and stay healthy.  

As long as we have Daquan Jones, Poona Ford and Ed Oliver, give me the DT4 that can make splash plays when used a little more sparingly to preserve his body. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I thought Bryant flashed a bit when he got his opportunity. Add in he likely would have been less expensive and had more long term upside. And of course one of Phillips calling cards over the last few seasons has been his inability to stay healthy.

Phillips is ok when healthy. And he's a lot of fun to watch rev up the crowd. I'll give him that.

Also, he's elite at mocking Zeke Elliot

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Surprised it took so long for him to sign. I love me some Brandin Bryant.  He was solid when his name was called 

he had 113 snaps in 3 years.  Appeared in 7 games. 6 tackles.  You must have quite a sharp eye for scrubs.

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

he had 113 snaps in 3 years.  Appeared in 7 games. 6 tackles.  You must have quite a sharp eye for scrubs.

It's important to always be like this, yeah? 

Guy seemed like a solid, physical, replacement-level DT to me, which is important long-term if Jordan Phillips is initially in your starting top-4. Gotta dive deeper into analytics and especially subjective film study to identify gems at the bottom of the depth chart. Can't be lazy/arrogant and rely on snap counts and tackle totals, of course, for prospective depth and PS candidates. That would be silly af. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

It's important to always be like this, yeah? 

Guy seemed like a solid, physical, replacement-level DT to me, which is important long-term if Jordan Phillips is initially in your starting top-4. Gotta dive deeper into analytics and especially subjective film study to identify gems at the bottom of the depth chart. Can't be lazy/arrogant and rely on snap counts and tackle totals, of course, for prospective depth and PS candidates. That would be silly af. 

The Bills did all of that for you and cut the guy.   Twice.  So did 4 other teams...in 4 years.

They are pretty silly, right?  Silly af, in fact.

10 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

Giants are dollar store Bills except they got a good running back from TJ Maxx at a big discount

Some of these franchises are starting to look like second hand shops, as opposed to vendors of cheap offshore manufactured items. 😁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

This is kind of like "paying it forward" at the drive-thru at your favorite fast-food place. The Bills used Carolina's staff - the Giants used the Bills staff - now I wonder who the current Giants staff will be forwarded to when the time comes in New Jersey.  

At the Carolina preseason game last year I met his Dad in the concourse during the rain delay and he said at that time if Brandon got cut he was going to sign with the Giants

23 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Honestly would have rather brought him back than Jordan Phillips. 

given the injury history this isn't hard to agree with but Phillips has a higher ceiling and is a leader of the defense.

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, boyst said:

given the injury history this isn't hard to agree with but Phillips has a higher ceiling and is a leader of the defense.

I know he's a fan favorite but I can't think of anytime I've ever heard someone praise him for leadership. Not saying he isn't but that doesn't flow to the forefront when I think of Phillips.

Ceilingwise I think we have seen Phillip's best work and he's a declining player on a higher deal.  For a 1 season body of work yes he's likely the better player. As the likely DT4 I'll go younger and cheaper everytime.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I know he's a fan favorite but I can't think of anytime I've ever heard someone praise him for leadership. Not saying he isn't but that doesn't flow to the forefront when I think of Phillips.

Ceilingwise I think we have seen Phillip's best work and he's a declining player on a higher deal.  For a 1 season body of work yes he's likely the better player. As the likely DT4 I'll go younger and cheaper everytime.

Watch how the other players react when he is around watch how he is very passionate in support of his teammates 

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/25/2023 at 8:36 AM, Mr. WEO said:

The Bills did all of that for you and cut the guy.   Twice.  So did 4 other teams...in 4 years.

They are pretty silly, right?  Silly af, in fact.

Replacement-level guys get cut. But then re-signed. That happens. Doesn't mean your presented stats were at all meaningful paths to assessment. 

1 hour ago, Richard Noggin said:

Replacement-level guys get cut. But then re-signed. That happens. Doesn't mean your presented stats were at all meaningful paths to assessment. 

It means 4 teams didn't want him on their roster.  His stats explain why.  

Those aren't my "presented stats"---they are this guys career stats.  Even the Bills--the only team to give a real spot, couldn't find hardly any situations where he was needed.  In the end, they concluded he wasn't worth keeping.  They saw more of him than any poster here who claims he was a promising playmaker.

Go tell your stories to McD and Beane.  Tell them why they are wrong.

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

It means 4 teams didn't want him on their roster.  His stats explain why.  

Those aren't my "presented stats"---they are this guys career stats.  Even the Bills--the only team to give a real spot, couldn't find hardly any situations where he was needed.  In the end, they concluded he wasn't worth keeping.  They saw more of him than any poster here who claims he was a promising playmaker.

Go tell your stories to McD and Beane.  Tell them why they are wrong.

To think games started and snaps somehow tell a meaningful story about a player's potential is wild. This isn't 1993. He could be out of the league mid-season, for sure. He's not some star in waiting, most likely. But to present those two macro stats as meaningful analysis remains silly. That's my point. 

22 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

To think games started and snaps somehow tell a meaningful story about a player's potential is wild. This isn't 1993. He could be out of the league mid-season, for sure. He's not some star in waiting, most likely. But to present those two macro stats as meaningful analysis remains silly. That's my point. 

it’s indicative of what his coaching staff thought of his play.  That and getting serially cut with little or no play from 4 teams.

what contradictory stats do you have?

On 7/26/2023 at 9:09 PM, Mr. WEO said:

it’s indicative of what his coaching staff thought of his play.  That and getting serially cut with little or no play from 4 teams.

what contradictory stats do you have?

Very reasonable interpretation of those macros. To be serially cut, of course, also involves being serially signed, though innit?

I don't have stats to counter your position that he's a scrub. Except for the number of times teams have signed him, including very recently by an organization who has some first-hand insight on him and/or trusts those prior evaluators who've found some value in him at the very back end of the roster.

There might be analytics and/or film breakdowns of his on-field play the past couple seasons. My own perception was that he made a solid 5th or 6th DT who has flashed enough in preseason and spot duty to be a relevant guy in the position room. 

7 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Very reasonable interpretation of those macros. To be serially cut, of course, also involves being serially signed, though innit?

I don't have stats to counter your position that he's a scrub. Except for the number of times teams have signed him, including very recently by an organization who has some first-hand insight on him and/or trusts those prior evaluators who've found some value in him at the very back end of the roster.

There might be analytics and/or film breakdowns of his on-field play the past couple seasons. My own perception was that he made a solid 5th or 6th DT who has flashed enough in preseason and spot duty to be a relevant guy in the position room. 

Getting signed and cut over and over again isn't a strong argument.  The only team that played hardly ever did and now they have cut him a second time.  The film and analytics--at least of the Bills organization, who know him better than anyone---led them to conclude he's not worthy of even a camp spot. They cut him again.  My conclusion is easy to arrive at.  Yours is simply a feeling you have.

Why make this something it's not?  Good for this kid, he keeps getting a few checks. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.