Rochester Bar Bill Tavern - Opened Yesterday (7/7/23) - Thoughts?

Mods, I didn't see a thread on the Rochester Bar Bill Tavern (a.k.a. Bar Bill East), but feel free to merge, if there is one.

Bills Fam: Rochester just opened up their first Bar Bill Tavern, on Empire Blvd, overlooking Irondequoit Bay. It's in the old MacGregor's, for those familiar with the area.

I got to stop in, yesterday, and somehow elbowed into the slam-packed bar for a Beef on Weck and some wings. Service was slow, but I figured it would be on day 1, but the food was incredible, as always.

Compared to the East Aurora location, the benefits I see are:

1. MUCH large location.
2. NOT cash-only.
3. Bills bar.

4. Beef on Weck is on-point.

Any thoughts from local ROC folks?

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Just pull out one of your 17 hairs and put it on you last wing. Boom

That seemed to come quickly and naturally for you. Hmmmm…….. 

😋

Every time this topic comes up I shed a little tear that the Duff’s franchise 45 minutes from me closed down. It was a haul, but I could get my fix. The rest I’ve seen, including an Anchor Bar, are just imposters. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Einstein said:

What is everyone's fascination with this Applebee's quality restaurant?

It's kind of the same fascination with your takes on McDermott. Uniformed and clickbait. But we love ya at the same time. You're like a car wreck that we know we should drive 55 mph past, but we have to slow down to 10 mph just to look and see what happened. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Draconator said:

It's kind of the same fascination with your takes on McDermott. Uniformed and clickbait. But we love ya at the same time. You're like a car wreck that we know we should drive 55 mph past, but we have to slow down to 10 mph just to look and see what happened. 

I sort of assumed he was riffing on Willis McGahee's super hot take from years ago.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I sort of assumed he was riffing on Willis McGahee's super hot take from years ago.

You mean, after a rousing game of ski-ball at Dave & Buster’s? 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Augie said:

That seemed to come quickly and naturally for you. Hmmmm…….. 

😋

Every time this topic comes up I shed a little tear that the Duff’s franchise 45 minutes from me closed down. It was a haul, but I could get my fix. The rest I’ve seen, including an Anchor Bar, are just imposters. 

It took me more like an hour and 20 minutes to get there, but I still went about once a month.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Augie said:

You mean, after a rousing game of ski-ball at Dave & Buster’s? 

Ski-ball?  

🧐🤔😎

Otherwise I'm marveling at how quickly this thread went off the rails.  

Edited by PBF81

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

I am not paying a buck for one lousy chicken wing...

Pass

Then you ain't gettin' no chicken wing!  

2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

going to do see if we can get in tomorrow with Son and his Daughter.
She wont make it even a half hour of waiting  (4 year old) but going to give it a shot !

Go as soon as they open or mid-afternoon, you'll be fine.  

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

Speak for yourself.  Life’s better without looking at the disaster 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Because I prefer to not ear garbage food?

Well, if you’re doing the wings in your ear, I may have a suggestion for you. But you have to say “please”. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Draconator said:

The East Aurora location started accepting cards I want to say a couple of years ago. We were there last weekend, and using a card was no problem. 

Maybe I just didn't even try, when I went last year. I just brought cash, paid cash, didn't ask questions, LOL. That's good to know!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

When I was in College, I was a short order cook, and I made hundreds of orders of chicken wings.

The main ingredient, is *Care*. Wings are a very simple item to make correctly, and they are too frequently butchered.

I still cook deep fried wings for almost every tailgate, just a few blocks from the stadium. 😎 (..and to rave reviews, I might add!)

I would love to come on here one day and give you a FIVE STAR review!  

Yeah, Okay, I’m a mooch, but a decent judge of wings.  😋

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

When I was in College, I was a short order cook, and I made hundreds of orders of chicken wings.

The main ingredient, is *Care*. Wings are a very simple item to make correctly, and they are too frequently butchered.

I still cook deep fried wings for almost every tailgate, just a few blocks from the stadium. 😎 (..and to rave reviews, I might add!)

Hundreds?!?!  Did your employment last a weekend???

50 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Sounds like you are a good chef.

Some people don't seem to know the difference between good food and slop.

• Like (+1) 2

Went there today place was packed 🙃 not one parking spot left.

So we left.

Bad thing is that spot where there are is a very seasonal spot that is why basil's across the street Murphys law and McGregor s all closed down.

In the summer it is hopping the 9 other months crickets plus house goes there.

Edited by scuba guy
Added

12 hours ago, Virgil said:

Okay, but how are the pizza logs?

I only had room for a beef on weck and 5 wings. I will need to revisit said establishment, and report back, sir 💁‍♂️

12 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Taking the kids to seabreeze Monday so hoping to make a detour on the way home. :thumbsup:

That's the right kind of detour.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, scuba guy said:

Went there today place was packed 🙃 not one parking spot left.

So we left.

Bad thing is that spot where there are is a very seasonal spot that is why basil's across the street Murphys law and McGregor s all closed down.

In the summer it is hopping the 9 other months crickets plus house goes there.

Well, the idea being that football starts in late August, and we're actually good, so packed days could extend into February. Makes sense, if you think about it that way.

1 hour ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Well, the idea being that football starts in late August, and we're actually good, so packed days could extend into February. Makes sense, if you think about it that way.

It'll be interesting to be sure.  MacGregor's was generally crowded, but not so packed that you couldn't get a table or bar seat.  

It was already one of my top spots to go when it was MacGregor's, even more so now that it's Bar Bill.  

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Einstein said:

What is everyone's fascination with this Applebee's quality restaurant?

If you haven't noticed, there's quite a few Applebee's type folks around here.

These are people who think a can of Genny cream and a double order of wings form the basis of Michelin 4 star haute cuisine.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.