Bickering Bills are Back!!

27yanks

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Agreed.  This is modern pro athlete self centered drama.  those Bills would have choice words for what is going on here...

The bickering Bills saga was based on a self-centered pro athlete, only in that episode it was Jim Kelly who was doing the finger-pointing and being a prima Donna. 
To his credit, Thurman, a young player only in his second year, put Jimbo in his place. 

But, as far as the most recent incident goes, none of us really know who was involved or what it’s about. It sounds like there was a family squabble and it’s already over or at least in the healing process. 
Can we put this behind us and move on with some actual talk about mini-camp and the upcoming season? 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

The bickering Bills saga was based on a self-centered pro athlete, only in that episode it was Jim Kelly who was doing the finger-pointing and being a prima Donna. 
To his credit, Thurman, a young player only in his second year, put Jimbo in his place. 

But, as far as the most recent incident goes, none of us really know who was involved or what it’s about. It sounds like there was a family squabble and it’s already over or at least in the healing process. 
Can we put this behind us and move on with some actual talk about mini-camp and the upcoming season? 

Kelly (and everyone else) showed up for work. The Bickering was over guys not stepping up and playing their best.  It was not, as it is in Digg's case, one player crying over not being even MORE the focus of the Offense.

Kelly would never look Diggs's way until week 5 after this kind of behavior

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Kelly (and everyone else) showed up for work. The Bickering was over guys not stepping up and playing their best.  It was not, as it is in Digg's case, one player crying over not being even MORE the focus of the Offense.

Kelly would never look Diggs's way until week 5 after this kind of behavior

I wasn’t aware that you had inside knowledge regarding the exact cause of the latest disruption. Forgive me. 🙄 

The 1989 bickering WAS NOT about players not playing their best, it was about Kelly calling them out (specifically House Ballard) publicly.  That in turn led to Thurman and others putting Kelly in his place. 

3 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

I wasn’t aware that you had inside knowledge regarding the exact cause of the latest disruption. Forgive me. 🙄 

The 1989 bickering WAS NOT about players not playing their best, it was about Kelly calling them out (specifically House Ballard) publicly.  That in turn led to Thurman and others putting Kelly in his place. 

It's not a mystery.  He's complaining about his role in the Offense.  Read the papers.

Kelly called out Ballard and the O-line for letting him get killed in a game, injuring his knee.  Disagree with approach?  I guess.  But that's what it was.  Hardly the first QB to lodge that complaint publicly.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Diggs V McD this week and Diggs V Josh playoffs  … so my score is 4-2 ( you have named Kelly three times…)

Actually .. can you elaborate on the coaches fist fight?

Marv talking it down big time in this article here … 

https://www.upi.com/amp/Archives/1989/10/24/Bills-assistant-coaches-in-fist-fight/6372625204800/

Ok-  you’re right.  This is the same thing.  

57 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's not a mystery.  He's complaining about his role in the Offense.  Read the papers.

Kelly called out Ballard and the O-line for letting him get killed in a game, injuring his knee.  Disagree with approach?  I guess.  But that's what it was.  Hardly the first QB to lodge that complaint publicly.

Speculation and rumor is all I’ve seen.
If you have a link, help us out.
Until there’s official word from the Bills or Diggs himself we don’t really know the what the issue was, so for you to state definitively that he ‘wanted more focus on himself’ is irresponsible. 

5 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

Speculation and rumor is all I’ve seen.
If you have a link, help us out.
Until there’s official word from the Bills or Diggs himself we don’t really know the what the issue was, so for you to state definitively that he ‘wanted more focus on himself’ is irresponsible. 

normally I don't help out the lazy, but since you're new here, I'll do you this solid one time.

(this took 30 seconds):

https://www.wfmj.com/story/49079297/diggs-returns-to-practice-with-bills-coach-mcdermott-saying-receivers-concerns-are-resolved

"While McDermott didn’t divulge the details of his conversations with Diggs, Allen shed light on the issues a day earlier. The quarterback said Diggs’ concerns are unresolved issues stemming from last season, which include getting the receiver more involved in the offense and having more game-planning input as among the player’s concerns.

“I think that there are some things that could have gone better last year and didn’t," Allen said. "I think as an organization, maybe not communicating the right way with everything.”

"To begin with, McDermott said Diggs didn’t skip the team’s mandatory session on Tuesday, but was in fact excused. As for the issues that led to Diggs’ concerns in questioning his role in the offense, the coach said the team and the receiver are “in a real good spot.”

McDermott made an unscheduled appearance with reporters after practice to address questions raised regarding Diggs’ status, by clarifying and expanding on the limited comments he made in helping create the stir a day earlier. That's when he said he was “very concerned” with the receiver leaving the team’s facility and missing a mandatory practice.

In laying out a timeline, McDermott said he and team officials spent Monday and Tuesday having conversations with Diggs to address the receiver’s concerns. The team and player then agreed to take a break from talks, with McDermott saying he excused Diggs from practicing and then picked up the conversations later in the day."

It's not speculation or "irresponsible" (lol), but common knowledge--even in this thread.  

56 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

normally I don't help out the lazy, but since you're new here, I'll do you this solid one time.

(this took 30 seconds):

https://www.wfmj.com/story/49079297/diggs-returns-to-practice-with-bills-coach-mcdermott-saying-receivers-concerns-are-resolved

"While McDermott didn’t divulge the details of his conversations with Diggs, Allen shed light on the issues a day earlier. The quarterback said Diggs’ concerns are unresolved issues stemming from last season, which include getting the receiver more involved in the offense and having more game-planning input as among the player’s concerns.

“I think that there are some things that could have gone better last year and didn’t," Allen said. "I think as an organization, maybe not communicating the right way with everything.”

"To begin with, McDermott said Diggs didn’t skip the team’s mandatory session on Tuesday, but was in fact excused. As for the issues that led to Diggs’ concerns in questioning his role in the offense, the coach said the team and the receiver are “in a real good spot.”

McDermott made an unscheduled appearance with reporters after practice to address questions raised regarding Diggs’ status, by clarifying and expanding on the limited comments he made in helping create the stir a day earlier. That's when he said he was “very concerned” with the receiver leaving the team’s facility and missing a mandatory practice.

In laying out a timeline, McDermott said he and team officials spent Monday and Tuesday having conversations with Diggs to address the receiver’s concerns. The team and player then agreed to take a break from talks, with McDermott saying he excused Diggs from practicing and then picked up the conversations later in the day."

It's not speculation or "irresponsible" (lol), but common knowledge--even in this thread.  

I don't think he is out of line.  In the playoffs losses the Bills have not made a concerted enough effort to get him involved, IMO.  If you are going down, go down with your best players not getting it done...don't go down cause you decided to get cute on too many 3rd downs and not try and get the ball to Diggs, coverage be damned at times.

Sometimes you just have to say, "My guy is better than yours and I don't care if he is covered or not, I am still throwing it to him and I trust him to make the play." Especially in the big situations.

Edited by Big Turk

56 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I don't think he is out of line.  In the playoffs losses the Bills have not made a concerted enough effort to get him involved, IMO.  If you are going down, go down with your best players not getting it done...don't go down cause you decided to get cute on too many 3rd downs and not try and get the ball to Diggs, coverage be damned at times.

Sometimes you just have to say, "My guy is better than yours and I don't care if he is covered or not, I am still throwing it to him and I trust him to make the play." Especially in the big situations.

They did that in the Cincy game.  He was targeted 10 times.  He caught 4 passes.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They did that in the Cincy game.  He was targeted 10 times.  He caught 4 passes.

The first one on 3rd down was simply a bad ball by Allen that wasn't catchable. He was open.

Targets mean nothing if the ball thrown isn't catchable 

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

The first one on 3rd down was simply a bad ball by Allen that wasn't catchable. He was open.

Targets mean nothing if the ball thrown isn't catchable 

There were 9 others.

His catch rates in the 3 elimination playoff games since he has been in Buffalo are 54, 50 and 40%.  That's 13/27 for a whopping 119 yards.  Zero TDs.  In Minnesota, he wasn't much better in close out losses: 3 games, 14 catches on 23 targets for 153 yards and 1 TD.  He has 1 career TD in 6 season ending playoff losses.

Not exactly "Big Game Steph", eh?  With the season on the line, he gets shut down.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2023 at 2:51 PM, Mr. WEO said:

There were 9 others.

His catch rates in the 3 elimination playoff games since he has been in Buffalo are 54, 50 and 40%.  That's 13/27 for a whopping 119 yards.  Zero TDs.  In Minnesota, he wasn't much better in close out losses: 3 games, 14 catches on 23 targets for 153 yards and 1 TD.  He has 1 career TD in 6 season ending playoff losses.

Not exactly "Big Game Steph", eh?  With the season on the line, he gets shut down.

and he arguably had those most clutch play in NFL history with the Minnesota Miracle. Granted the DB was more of a reason for it than Diggs himself. 

On 6/14/2023 at 8:20 PM, NewEra said:

This is one person having a problem.

The bickering bills was Thurman vs Kelly, Kelly vs Burkett, coaches fist fighting each other, Kelly vs the offensive line.  

You’re right, we don’t know what Diggs issue is- but it’s one incident.  Not 4 incidents.  

Don’t forget the Kelly-Reed love triangle.  That didn’t go over so well. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

And led to 4 consecutive SB losses…

So? Nobody else has been to four straight, before or after, so if you consider that part of the history of the Bills to be that bad then I feel sorry for you.

13 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

So? Nobody else has been to four straight, before or after, so if you consider that part of the history of the Bills to be that bad then I feel sorry for you.

Just stating facts…if feeling sorry for me puts a bow on a stat that is meaningless, good on ya lol. We lost 4 straight- that is truly special 😊

45 minutes ago, noacls said:

Sounds like the Allen, Diggs, SoHo bartender love triangle.  Lol

I have no idea whether that’s true.  The allegations with respect to Kelly and Reed involved a dispute relating to a local media personality.  I won’t name the person bc it’s “ancient” history, and because I wouldn’t want a loved one reading about them in that context. 

10 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Just stating facts…if feeling sorry for me puts a bow on a stat that is meaningless, good on ya lol. We lost 4 straight- that is truly special 😊

So, the only meaningful stat is SB wins?

If being the only team to win four consecutive conference championships is meaningless b/c we didn't win a SB, I suppose having the greatest comeback in post-season history is also pointless b/c we lost the SB later that year.

Actually, by your own standards, the Buffalo Bills have accomplished nothing in all the decades of their existance.  Not a single thing.  Not one accomplishment to note...

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

So, the only meaningful stat is SB wins?

If being the only team to win four consecutive conference championships is meaningless b/c we didn't win a SB, I suppose having the greatest comeback in post-season history is also pointless b/c we lost the SB later that year.

Actually, by your own standards, the Buffalo Bills have accomplished nothing in all the decades of their existance.  Not a single thing.  Not one accomplishment to note...

Until we hoist the Lombardi….sorry if that irks you. Be good! 

On 6/15/2023 at 6:14 AM, Aussie Joe said:

Diggs V McD this week and Diggs V Josh playoffs  … so my score is 4-2 ( you have named Kelly three times…)

Actually .. can you elaborate on the coaches fist fight?

Marv talking it down big time in this article here … 

https://www.upi.com/amp/Archives/1989/10/24/Bills-assistant-coaches-in-fist-fight/6372625204800/

As soon as I saw the title my 1st thought was It's not the Bickering Bills until a coach's head goes through a wall.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/26/2023 at 4:47 PM, EasternOHBillsFan said:

you consider losing 4 Superbowls in a row to not be bad?

• Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, nucci said:

You didn’t ask me, but I remember having a hell of a time watching us play during that stretch. I also don’t link my happiness to something I have absolutely no control over. Some people here should try that out.  “SB win or we suck”. OK.  🙄

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, nucci said:

Marv had the best answer, it went something like this: The best way to never lose a Super Bowl-Don't get in.  

The Super Bowl years were a lot better than the drought or the past 29 years without getting in.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Marv had the best answer, it went something like this: The best way to never lose a Super Bowl-Don't get in.  

The Super Bowl years were a lot better than the drought or the past 29 years without getting in.  

Those were obviously fun times but we still lost all 4. That's not being negative or glass half empty. Just reality

5 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

The 4 AFC Championships in a row were 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9526caxmxp3p5ea7vr54d

I agree and the 4 Superbowls sucked. I went to 3 AFC Championship games and the first 3 Superbowls

Edited by nucci

Let's make this simple...

4 straight AFC Championships = A good record and accomplishment

4 straight Super Bowl losses = A bad, painful record

Both can be true.  Nobody is saying the four losses are a good thing.

The US Olympic team with Miller exceeded everyone's expectations and actually beat Canada in the qualifying round.  They *did lose* in overtime of the gold metal round, so does that make their Silver Medal, and all the work it took to get there, meaningless?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/28/2023 at 9:45 AM, Albany,n.y. said:

As soon as I saw the title my 1st thought was It's not the Bickering Bills until a coach's head goes through a wall.  

These are new times. While we may not see a coach's head go through a wall...we do have a coach that is a World Champion patio chair thrower. I'd dub Kromer the "Josh Allen of patio furniture". Anything is still possible.

On 6/26/2023 at 10:45 PM, Pirate Angel said:

More like drinking the kool-aid of the media...

and in a lot of cases that kool-aid is straight made up baloney for clicks. And it sells because people love drama. 

I shudder to think of what this board would have been like if twitter existed back then. I am all for free speech mind you

The bottom line is the Scoreboard on NFL game days. The weapons this team possess will speak for themselves when they win. I honestly don't really care if they have internal strife. Iron sharpens iron

• Awesome! (+1) 1