Diggs NOT at mandatory minicamp, McDermott "very concerned" DAY 2 UPDATE: He's back

Process

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

McD spilled over into the presser. But I also think there is more to it than you are giving it. Diggs and the FO likely had a discussion that didn't end well. These things sort of happen in sports sometimes, but to have this going on from last season, through the offseason, and into OTA's is wild. 

I don’t think it was spill over. I believe it was a purposeful comment. A warning shot.

I think what will eventually come out, maybe not for a year even as people tend to not go into detail when they’re still on the roster, is that Diggs stormed out after a heated conversation.

McDermott then fired the shot across the bow. Purposefully.

PR is putting the toothpaste back into the bottle by coming up with the narrative that it was an “excused” absence. Which obviously doesn’t make much sense since McDermott was asked yesterday whether it was an excused absence (oops).

But when you own the media in town, you can steer the direction of the talk in the way that you want. And with so many diehard fans  willing to believe anything they say, it doesn’t really matter what McD said in that press conference. 

McD could have said “I want to cut him right now” and they would easily find their way out of it due to the PSE-owned media and homers

5 minutes ago, teef said:

so what specifically do you feel it's about?  it is a personal issue between the two, is it a football matter? 

That’s where semantics come into play.

Obviously it’s all football related. Whether he doesn’t like the scheme/plays, or doesn’t like the play caller (Dorsey), or has an issue with Allen not being present in the Bengals loss, it’s all football matters.

But it can be spun from another angle as well, to say, “well those are personal issues because they don’t take place on the actual football field”.

So it’s a semantics game.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If we had 53 players with Diggs' attitude, we'd have 2 Lombardis by now.

I've been saying this too.  I think he felt a little disappointed that no one else wanted to step up and play in the Bengals game.  He was trying to fire everyone up.

This is me just guessing but they don't seem normal the next game.  Diggs is an attention seeker and always has a TD celebration.  He just jogged off the field and high fived players.  This was a big 3rd down and this TD essentially clinched the game....no emotion after.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I don’t think it was spill over. I believe it was a purposeful comment. A warning shot.

I think what will eventually come out, maybe not for a year even as people tend to not go into detail when they’re still on the roster, is that Diggs stormed out after a heated conversation.

McDermott then fired the shot across the bow. Purposefully.

PR is putting the toothpaste back into the bottle by coming up with the narrative that it was an “excused” absence. Which obviously doesn’t make much sense since McDermott was asked yesterday whether it was an excused absence (oops).

But when you own the media in town, you can steer the direction of the talk in the way that you want. And with so many diehard fans  willing to believe anything they say, it doesn’t really matter what McD said in that press conference. 

McD could have said “I want to cut him right now” and they would easily find their way out of it due to the PSE-owned media and homers

Are you basing this on any facts at all? 

• Thank you (+1) 2

I think Diggs while temperamental has his heart in the right place and the Bills have also taken care of him in the way that he should be taken care of. 

I think Diggs knows It is better to sort these things out in June rather than let them linger on in training camp and beyond. Diggs gets to be heard and the coaches let him say his thoughts and they can adjust well before training camp starts 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, teef said:

the fact of the matter is you and a few others completely overreacted, and now you have egg on your face. 

There was no overreaction. You seem to be confusing me with other posters. I never said to cut him or fine him or anything of that sort.

All I said is that he is spiraling down a bad path (from yelling at his QB in the Cinci loss, to taking Bills stuff off his social media, to skipping voluntaries, to unfollowing the team, to leaving practice, etc) and that the Bills and PSE’s public relations team would try to cover it up once it’s smoothed over.

And I was correct every step of the way. Zero overreaction. Those who overreacted were the ones who wanted him gone from the team, which was obviously never happening.

• Eyeroll 2

3 minutes ago, Freak-O said:

Are you basing this on any facts at all? 

None of us have any facts to go off of. Just circumstantial evidence. And right now the evidence points to the team covering this up (and I don’t blame them, as it is exactly what I would do if I were them).

Except for the PSE essentially owning the media part. That’s a fact.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Einstein said:

None of us have any facts to go off of. Just circumstantial evidence. And right now the evidence points to the team covering this up (and I don’t blame them, as it is exactly what I would do if I were them).

I think it's aliens and I have just as much evidence as you do that the team is covering it up

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If we had 53 players with Diggs' attitude, we'd have 2 Lombardis by now.

I conceptually totally agree with you....BUT.

In the days before the instant social media, is that what we could have had with the Bickering Bills back in the Super Bowl era?  Imagine those players under that scrutiny especially with all the drinking and partying going on. Yes a great team but no Lombardi's.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

That’s where semantics come into play.

Obviously it’s all football related. Whether he doesn’t like the scheme/plays, or doesn’t like the play caller (Dorsey), or has an issue with Allen not being present in the Bengals loss, it’s all football matters.

But it can be spun from another angle as well, to say, “well those are personal issues because they don’t take place on the actual football field”.

So it’s a semantics game.

that certainly could be the case.  it could be personal, but who knows.  as long as it's resolved sooner rather than later, do it really matter?  is it something that pse has to work so hard at covering up?  there's no conspiracy because as long as they play and are productive, who really gives a ***** about what the spat was over?  apparently just you...you just get it.

• Thank you (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

This ***** happens. People don’t agree all the time and have work through it.

This place is an unfortunate reflection of society with how it interprets conflict. 

This place is society…, people are and always have been, and always will be tribal in their action and words when it comes to their perceptions and comfort levels, yes it’s sad, but it will never be different, the exception is that some folk do realize they are likely to be incorrect from time to time, those sort of people are mankind’s only real hope. 

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Except for the PSE essentially owning the media part. That’s a fact.

Are you for real?  Are you laughing at these comments? 

"None of us have any facts to go of off" ..the "circumstantial evidence points to the team covering the is up"  "Except the PSE essentially owning the media".   ."That's a fact"

• Awesome! (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Einstein said:

There was no overreaction. You seem to be confusing me with other posters. I never said to cut him or fine him or anything of that sort.

All I said is that he is spiraling down a bad path (from yelling at his QB in the Cinci loss, to taking Bills stuff off his social media, to skipping voluntaries, to unfollowing the team, to leaving practice, etc) and that the Bills and PSE’s public relations team would try to cover it up once it’s smoothed over.

And I was correct every step of the way. Zero overreaction. Those who overreacted were the ones who wanted him gone from the team, which was obviously never happening.

there was 100%  you were wildly giddy to come in and just pile on.  there was concern, but you needed it to be so much more.  so much more that you started telling other posters that they just couldn't understand what was going on.  you wanted to completely use this as an example as to why this staff just doesn't work.  there's no massive story here.  just a lot of nonsense.    again, there was such an overreaction on your part that you lied about my posting on here to prove a point.   why did you do that?  because i didn't agree with you.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

I think it's aliens and I have just as much evidence as you do that the team is covering it up

Exactly lol,  this guy has been spewing nothing but speculation. Heck you're speculation about aliens carrys as much water as his circumstantial evidence lol.

Edited by BillzFreak
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

So you'd rather believe Beane, Pegula, and now McD are all liars as opposed to McD simply mishandling his answer yesterday.

Im on the same side as you where i dont think this is nearly the big deal its being blown up to be..... but Yes LOL

Its the NFL. If a lie helps this blow over, you lie. Calling them 'liars' is a bit much, if a person has to tell a harmless lie to bring peace to their family, a good family man does it every time IMO

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Clearly there are issues that none of us know the nature of and that have lingered for a long period of time.  We don't even know if the issues are between Diggs and the coaching staff, Diggs and Allen, or Diggs and Beane (or all of the them).  Not trying to be pessimistic, but given the amount of time that this has festered, I would be surprised if everything is now settled and relationships and attitudes will revert to how they previously appeared to be.  I hope I am wrong.

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

Good god, stop attacking each other!  You're not going to accomplish anything other then this getting locked.

I will say this

Regardless of the ridiculousness in this thread from all of us who participated in the spirited discussion, this type of offseason deliberating and squabbling is wayyyyyyyy better than the offseason bickering of the COVID years.

Good to have this back! Thanks for helping kill 2 days of work, fellas!

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Are you for real?  Are you laughing at these comments? 

"None of us have any facts to go of off" ..the "circumstantial evidence points to the team covering the is up"  "Except the PSE essentially owning the media".   ."That's a fact"

Love your posts RoyBatty. Never change!

• Thank you (+1) 1

I just looked up the posting stats.  One unnamed poster has 112 out of the 1328 thus far, the next closes is about 90 or so.  I will give him/her credit for persistence if nothing else.    What is this post 24 hours ago, that we means on average this unnamed poster had a post almost 6 times an hour for the past 24, now that is persistence (or psychosis or obsession).

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, blacklabel said:

That Twitter screenshot I posted, he wrote it in a story on his IG. Everyone's been trying to decipher what he means by it but, and this is a description I saw on a different comment, Diggs seems to treat social media like he's still in high school. Like, he'd post something like "real eyes realize real lies" and not be ironic about it lol. 

Thanks for the song bomb!  Now I have Machine Head's "Real Eyes, Realize, Real Lies" looping in my head.  

3 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I just looked up the posting stats.  One unnamed poster has 112 out of the 1328 thus far, the next closes is about 70 or so.  I will give him/her credit for persistence if nothing else.    What is this post 24 hours ago, that we means on average this unnamed poster had a post almost 6 times an hour for the past 24, now that is persistence (or psychosis or obsession).

exactly.  someone was very excited that this was happening.

• Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I just looked up the posting stats.  One unnamed poster has 112 out of the 1328 thus far, the next closes is about 70 or so.  I will give him/her credit for persistence if nothing else.    What is this post 24 hours ago, that we means on average this unnamed poster had a post almost 6 times an hour for the past 24, now that is persistence (or psychosis or obsession).

How do you do this?

22 minutes ago, Einstein said:

“A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.”

― Albert Einstein

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, teef said:

exactly.  someone was very excited that this was happening.

Excited is a better word. Some of us were definitely excited. Sure. It proved that many of us who said Diggs yelling at Josh and Diggs removing the Bills from social media and Diggs skipping OTA’s, was not “nothing”. It proved that we were correct that he had a problem with the organization or part of the organization (player, coach, scheme, whatever).

But was there overreaction? No. Just claiming my spoils from victory.

Those overreacting we’re the ones saying he should be cut, traded, etc.

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Einstein said:

Excited is a better word. Some of us were definitely excited. Sure. It proved that many of us who said Diggs yelling at Josh and Diggs removing the Bills from social media and Diggs skipping OTA’s, was not “nothing”. It proved that we were correct that he had a problem with the organization or part of the organization (player, coach, scheme, whatever).

you didn't prove anything.  you were the one making it out to be a far bigger issue than it needed it to be.  no one thought it was "nothing".  we knew it was something, but likely something that would work itself out.  reasonable posters knew it was worth at least waiting 24 hours to go into full blown panic mode.  you decided to go into panic mode immediately.  you've had more post in this thread out of anyone...that's a fact!

you really think this thread was a victory for you?  and is that something you actually need?  validation on a message board?  validation on a message board about something you really didn't prove one way or the other?  i love this thread.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Haha, man how are you for real? This has to be a schtick, right? No one is really this insecure. :lol:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan692 said:

I think McDermott is an ahole for that one. He basically threw diggs in front of a bus yesterday only to backpedal it 24 hours later. Then again, he basically took the heat off diggs and allen and everyone else and put it squarely on himself so it does seem as if he is 'fixing' the situation. 

I am still concerned about whatever the issue is that lead to this point between coach and diggs. Hopefully it doesn't rear its ugly head later in the season.

Diggs/Coach feud is very fixable, and extremely common at times im sure. SUPERRRRRR glad its not a Diggs/Allen one. That would suck for the season, and feel like mom & dad getting a divorce!

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

A little bit more than $4 million in dead cap to cut him after next year or trade....it's definitely possible.

At some point soon this roster must shift. Beane can't keep digging into cap purgatory and relying on 1-year vets to get over the hump. Next year, they can clear over $30M by cutting Dawkins, Morse, Poyer, Hines, and Harty. As you said, a Diggs trade becomes feasible.

Can't cut Miller for two more years unfortunately.    

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.