Diggs NOT at mandatory minicamp, McDermott "very concerned" DAY 2 UPDATE: He's back

Process

33 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I don't agree with this assessment. 

He's merely saying most fans are content with the team's results. 

I know I am. I lived through most of this team's history. I'd rather be in the tournament every year than not be. For 90% of the Bills existence, we complained about not earning a wild card berth. And here we are agonizing over no Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It isn't Von's job to tell the truth. Every player should give that same answer in public. But the reality is the head coach publicly called out Diggs for missing mandatory minicamp today. It can't be hand waved away.

Ill say the physical and mental preparation of attending mini camp is near completely meaningless for diggs 

the only issue of any concern is the escalating public defiance and lack of buy in

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillzFreak said:

And honestly I believe if the Bills somehow win the superbowl, these same people would be spewing there hate if they then went out next year and didn't win another one lol. 

There would definitely be posters who took the route that one just wasn’t enough.  There’s always going to be those people.  I get it, but I have zero desire to be on that side. 

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

continuing this line of inquiry, and incorporating today's stuff [i havent thought this to conclusion yet.  but it seems fertile ground]:

Does Diggs think / believe / know that JA has a substance problem and isnt getting the treatment that JA promised Diggs he would get?

Why is Diggs not out with tweets or medie leaks that he also LOVES JA?

Doesnt JA sound apologetic, a bit?  Doeth he protest too much?

Doesnt JA sound like Favre used to (when he was addicted to painkillers) a bit?  Big, Broad, He-Man statements with zero substance.

Is that why Diggs showed up, saw all he needed to see, and broke out?

Does this explain why Diggs has not asked for more money and has not asked to be traded?  Diggs wants to WIN.  this place is perfect.  As long as QB1 is all in.

Is this why McD sounded defensive and/or angry.  That he doesnt want stuff about JA to get out there?  Or that McD is Also annoyed at JA but prefers to handle it in house.  Diggs sees that McD's 'handling' isnt working

Is this why JA's girlfriend left?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Edited by MJS
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, NoSaint said:

Ill say the physical and mental preparation of attending mini camp is near completely meaningless for diggs 

the only issue of any concern is the escalating public defiance and lack of buy in

The only reason it went public was a question that was answered poorly by McD. 

• Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, Airseven said:

This is the most logical explanation and particularly with how the offense sputtered out last season. Then Hall moves on, or isn’t retained or something to that effect, and it piles on with his somewhat random replacement. Seems like something these guys would bicker about.

“heard people speculate” - key phrase. I like Greg but he doesn’t know anything here.

That said, if that is the reason Stef better get over it. The org is under no obligation to consult players on coaching hires, even if they did do it with Allen/Dorsey.

27 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

So diggs waited a whole year to show his displeasure for Dorsey?

I'm not advocating for Dorsey but normally when I'm mad about something, someone is going to know quick.

Still not sure about the whole Hall situation though.  

I'm starting to wonder if his problem is with McDermott?? With McDermott not taking the reins in critical situations. Giving his assistants too much freedom. I remember Diggs and McDermott having conversations on the sidelines during games

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, teef said:

There would definitely be posters who took the route that one just wasn’t enough.  There’s always going to be those people.  I get it, but I have zero desire to be on that side. 

So you don’t want to be a constantly miserable crank?

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

“heard people speculate” - key phrase. I like Greg but he doesn’t know anything here.

That said, if that is the reason Stef better get over it. The org is under no obligation to consult players on coaching hires, even if they did do it with Allen/Dorsey.

The Texans went through this with Watson with respect to perception... you can't ignore a coaching consult with Diggs and take a coaching consult with Allen... players will see that as racial and that's pretty serious. That sort of perceived double standard can rip a team apart, so let's just see what develops.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

1 minute ago, JoPoy88 said:

Oh I know - McDermott handled it badly and I am not waving that away.

What do you think McDermott should have said/done?

He has every other player here.  Whatever the vet players say, the whole "process" "no I in team" "growth mindset" holds that OTAs are important and Minicamp is important and mandatory.

Apparently McDermott, Beane, the new WR coach Adam Henry, and Diggs had a meeting this am, after which Diggs left the facility.

Is the coach supposed to say, it's critical for the rest of you guys to be here but then add, it's no big deal for Diggs, like Von Miller did?

Is he supposed to say "what we're doing here does not work without him" like Josh Allen did today?

• Agree 2

Just now, jlgarsh said:

The only reason it went public was a question that was answered poorly by McD. 

I mentioned already, but I disagree.

My opinion isn't popular on this.  But I'd rather Coach not downplay this.  Diggs is clearly upset, and Coach downplaying the situation with media might just further irritate Stef.  Again, just my opinion, but all Coach's comments did was stir up the media and fan gossip.

The real issues with Stef/team exist regardless and maybe this acknowledgment by Coach is a step in the right direction to help with that.

I'd add, Coach lies/downplays responses to media questions ALOT.  This was a calculated comment, time will tell if it backfires or helps.

18 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

at least some of us are doing our part to hit 300 pages, sir.

Hey, I'm definitely here to be here, AND I'm on currently on PST - I can do this All. Night. Long. 🤣🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

He has every other player here.  Whatever the vet players say, the whole "process" "no I in team" "growth mindset" holds that OTAs are important and Minicamp is important and mandatory.

Apparently McDermott, Beane, the new WR coach Adam Henry, and Diggs had a meeting this am, after which Diggs left the facility.

Is the coach supposed to say, it's critical for the rest of you guys to be here but then add, it's no big deal for Diggs, like Von Miller did?

Is he supposed to say "what we're doing here does not work without him" like Josh Allen did today?

Either provide more information or use less loaded language. Either would have tamped down some of this ridiculous panic.

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

You might have to face it that Digg's ego is and could be his worst attribute.  Wanting to win is one thing but you can't throw your QB under the bus on national TV for everyone to see.  Putting on a show for everyone to see and to throw a tantrum about it does not help him or his cause.

Yes be a fierce competitor but keep you BS in check.  You can't have respect from your teamates, if you dont respect them.

It was okay for Tom Brady to do this though? 🤷

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

The problem with this thinking is that you have no idea what was said and how everything went down. You already have a tense situation by McDermott letting Chad Hall go to the Jaguars, then Stefon's brother is involved possibly in an assault, and then whatever happened this morning blew up. It's not a normal situation, but you are treating it like one.

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Yeah, he said what all of us are feeling. It absolutely is concerning. Spot on from McDermott.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.