Colin Cowherd's Take

newcam2012

3 hours ago, krf139 said:

He’s not wrong. Every year of McDermott is a wasted year of Allen’s prime. We’ll all be looking back on this decades from now saying “how did we not win a Super Bowl with Josh?”

There better be a master list of these guys tracked by some mod so we can have a mass-banning event when the Bills win the SB

So the idea from Cowherd is Josh Allen needs to do more in the playoffs, then he currently is doing 47% of his teams rushing yards and 17 TDs to 4 picks in 8 games, 2 rush TDs and a receiving TD. 

Edited by Dr.Sack

7 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree.

And I want to add something to discussion that has been nagging at me when I first saw it a few weeks ago.  I don't recall the thread where this discussion took place, but someone dug out passer rating and other performance data splits on Burrow and Allen in 2022.  I think Mahomes' data was there, too.  Among other things, the data showed that Burrow's passer rating rose incrementally from the first quarter to the fourth quarter.   Allen's dropped off in the fourth quarter fairly significantly.  Mahomes was better than Allen, too.

There are multiple things of significance in that information.  First, of course, is that there could be a lot of different reasons why Allen's performance tailed off in the fourth quarter - it's a team game, and any number of things could contribute to Allen's decline.  

Second, whatever the reason for Allen's decline, there simply is no question that you'd rather have a QB with a passer rating of 105 in the fourth quarter than 89, which is in the ballpark of what the difference was.   There's simply no question that your team is likely to have greater success if your team has a quarterback who's very efficient in the fourth quarter.  

Third, this kind of information really undermines the argument that you've properly challenged here - that is, if the team has an elite quarterback, the coaches should be winning Super Bowls.  Who's to say that the problem isn't simply with #17.  Maybe the coaches are doing it all right, and #17 just isn't getting the job done?   Now, I know there are all kinds of rebuttals to that, some of which I agree with, particularly it's Dorsey, it's clock management, it's the offensive line, but none of that is the point.  The point is that there's elite and there's elite, and to blindly lay the problem at the feet of the GM and coaches isn't looking nearly closely enough at what might be causing the team to fall short. 

Maybe the only reason the Chiefs are winning Super Bowls and the Bills aren't is that Mahomes is simply better than Allen.   I suppose that thought will cause some people to say, "Well, then that's reason enough to put McDermott on the hot seat, because he's the one who decided he didn't want Mahomes."  Those people will flame away.   They're the people who, when the Bills win the Super Bowl, will complain that they didn't beat the spread.  

You think Allen is causing the team to fail? That's a wild take

35 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

So the idea from Cowherd is Josh Allen needs to do more in the playoffs, then he currently is doing 47% of his teams rushing yards and 17 TDs to 4 picks in 8 games, 2 rush TDs and a receiving TD. 

Yeah Allen is very clearly not the problem

• Disagree 1

4 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Cowherd is absolutely correct.  

Show of hands - Who here would rather have Ed Oliver than Mike McGlinchey?  

Me. Mike McGlinchey is an average right tackle. Ed Oliver is a better football player. I am sure you can find an offensive player who would be the answer to that question but it isn't Mike McGlinchey.

4 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Cowherd is absolutely correct.  

Show of hands - Who here would rather have Ed Oliver than Mike McGlinchey?  

I would.  I think Oliver has been the better player to this point in both of their careers.  McGlinchey is an average starting tackle, a better run blocker than pass blocker, and got overpaid.  There weren't a lot of good RT options available this offseason.  Juwaan Taylor would've been my preferred target but not at 20 million a year like he got in KC.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

No, not too high.  And I agree with what you say.   

Acknowledging it's difficult doesn't automatically translate into an excuse.  There's a difference between an explanation as to why something happened and making an excuse.   

For any team, the answer to the question "why didn't you win the Super Bowl" is "we weren't good enough."   There are a lot of explanations for why one team or another wasn't good enough.  There are explanations for the Bills, too.  

What people mean when they say that an explanation is an excuse is that they think the team is using the explanation to make it okay that they didn't win.  One thing we know for sure is that the Bills - the owner, the GM, the coaches, and the players, do not think it's okay.  They aren't making excuses for themselves.   They're trying to do something that is very difficult, and they're going to keep trying.  

Fans can complain if they want, but I'm not complaining.  Yes, the Rams won a Super Bowl, and almost immediately they weren't competitive.  The Bills are competitive every season, and they intend to stay there.  I can support that. 

I agree with almost all of this... although as I have argued elsewhere on the Rams - the take that they "sold out for a Superbowl and then immediately sucked" is unfair. They were still a .500 football team when they lost Kupp and then 3-4 when Stafford first got hurt (3-6 by the time they eventually shut him down for the year). That despite losing their starting left tackle week 1, both starting guards for most of the year and at some points both starting safeties (we saw how the Bills D looked vs the Vikings when both Hyde and Poyer were down). And Donald missed time and they had other little injuries here and there too. Sure, their depth has suffered as a result of their Superbowl or bust mentality, both trading away picks for veterans and kicking the can down the road on the cap, but the idea it was some sort of inevitability that they would fall off is a stretch IMO. Take the starting QB, best offensive weapon, and 3/5ths of the starting oline off any team in the NFL and there is going to be a drop off. Not saying the Rams were likely to repeat without it, I don't think anyone ever expected that, but I think they would still at worst have competed for a playoff spot without their roster being injury ravaged. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with almost all of this... although as I have argued elsewhere on the Rams - the take that they "sold out for a Superbowl and then immediately sucked" is unfair. They were still a .500 football team when they lost Kupp and then 3-4 when Stafford first got hurt (3-6 by the time they eventually shut him down for the year). That despite losing their starting left tackle week 1, both starting guards for most of the year and at some points both starting safeties (we saw how the Bills D looked vs the Vikings when both Hyde and Poyer were down). And Donald missed time and they had other little injuries here and there too. Sure, their depth has suffered as a result of their Superbowl or bust mentality, both trading away picks for veterans and kicking the can down the road on the cap, but the idea it was some sort of inevitability that they would fall off is a stretch IMO. Take the starting QB, best offensive weapon, and 3/5ths of the starting oline off any team in the NFL and there is going to be a drop off. Not saying the Rams were likely to repeat without it, I don't think anyone ever expected that, but I think they would still at worst have competed for a playoff spot without their roster being injury ravaged. 

Injuries are part of the game. KC won the SB with Mahomes playing on one leg. Cinci whipped the Bills with a shell of an oline. Miami almost beat the Bills with a nobody 3rd string QB. 

Buffalo's offense was clearly healthy going into the Cinci game. Everyone wants to use the use injury excuse for Buffalo. Sure it has some validity. However, the Bills offense looked good vs Miami. Yet, they only managed 10 measly points vs Cinci. Yet, another excuse. They had nothing left...

Come on now! If anything they should have been even more motivated to win. Hamlin was going to be fine. Made a likely inspirational appearence and playing at home with rabid fans cheering them on. 

Stop with the excuses! The Bills were outplayed and outcoached. Men playing against boys. The Bills game plan was perplexing. To this day, I'm not sure what they tried to do. 

Funny how fans are so easily ready to dismiss this game as a one off. Yet, previous years Beane is on the record as saying you are as good as your last game. A theme that suddenly doesn't apply out of convenience. 

At least Beane has move some moves to address the Bills weaknesses. Who knows if it's enough? At least Fraizer is gone and McD should be an upgrade. Dorsey might the scape goat if the Bills fall short once again. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Me. Mike McGlinchey is an average right tackle. Ed Oliver is a better football player. I am sure you can find an offensive player who would be the answer to that question but it isn't Mike McGlinchey.

I'd argue Ed Oliver borders on average himself.  McGlinchey excels somewhere at least.  Ed...

28 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Injuries are part of the game. KC won the SB with Mahomes playing on one leg. Cinci whipped the Bills with a shell of an oline. Miami almost beat the Bills with a nobody 3rd string QB. 

Buffalo's offense was clearly healthy going into the Cinci game. Everyone wants to use the use injury excuse for Buffalo. Sure it has some validity. However, the Bills offense looked good vs Miami. Yet, they only managed 10 measly points vs Cinci. Yet, another excuse. They had nothing left...

Come on now! If anything they should have been even more motivated to win. Hamlin was going to be fine. Made a likely inspirational appearence and playing at home with rabid fans cheering them on. 

Stop with the excuses! The Bills were outplayed and outcoached. Men playing against boys. The Bills game plan was perplexing. To this day, I'm not sure what they tried to do. 

Funny how fans are so easily ready to dismiss this game as a one off. Yet, previous years Beane is on the record as saying you are as good as your last game. A theme that suddenly doesn't apply out of convenience. 

At least Beane has move some moves to address the Bills weaknesses. Who knows if it's enough? At least Fraizer is gone and McD should be an upgrade. Dorsey might the scape goat if the Bills fall short once again. 

I think you might want to read my post again.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Just not true. In 7 drafts this regime has picked two defensive tackles - total. A 1st rounder and a 3rd rounder. DBs they have drafted lots on day 3, but the fewest in the first two days of the draft of ANY team in the league in that timeframe (since 2017). They have drafted fewer linebackers in the first two days of the draft (3) than they have offensive linemen (4). 

They haven't been great judges of oline talent. From their FA acquisitions to their draft picks. I agree they could have done more, but that is at LEAST as much about talent evaluation as it has about teambuilding strategy. 

I think you have to expand that analysis.  

Of the past five drafts, prior to this one, Beane's drafted 9 players.  Of those 9 players in rounds 1 & 2.  Of those 9 players 4 were DL, 5 were Front-7, and 6 were D overall.  

The offensive players taken were Allen of course, Ford, and Cook.  

This is the first year that his Draft was focused on offense.  As Cowherd said, and which otherwise is know, rookie TEs rarely make an impact.  We'll see how this Draft plays out this year, but at least it was offensively focused.  

On 6/6/2023 at 7:23 PM, newcam2012 said:

Pretty blunt take from Colin. Wondering how others feel about what he says. 

Colin saying the quiet part out loud.  LOL  

I see that it threw a Baby Ruth into the forum pool.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I think you have to expand that analysis.  

Of the past five drafts, prior to this one, Beane's drafted 9 players.  Of those 9 players in rounds 1 & 2.  Of those 9 players 4 were DL, 5 were Front-7, and 6 were D overall.  

The offensive players taken were Allen of course, Ford, and Cook.  

This is the first year that his Draft was focused on offense.  As Cowherd said, and which otherwise is know, rookie TEs rarely make an impact.  We'll see how this Draft plays out this year, but at least it was offensively focused.  

I wasn't doing a full breakdown of their drafting (although doing that and a true comparison against the league is on my to do list). I was simply demonstrating that the statement Bill made is simply not true. When I am making a general point you will know I am making a general point. This was not a general point it was a very specific dismissal of a factual inaccuracy. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I wasn't doing a full breakdown of their drafting (although doing that and a true comparison against the league is on my to do list). I was simply demonstrating that the statement Bill made is simply not true. 

Looking forward to seeing it. 

• Agree 1

Colin is in a shell and not looking at the full offseason and draft I guess. 

Current O line with draft position regardless of whom drafted them. It's not all doom and gloom, RT is really my only "concern".

LT Dawkins = 2nd         Doyle = 5th

LG McGovern = 3rd      Edwards = 5th

C Morse = 2nd              Mancz = UFA

RG Bates = UFA            Torrence = 2nd

RT Brown = 3rd            Quessenberry = 6th

5 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Current O line with draft position regardless of whom drafted them. It's not all doom and gloom, RT is really my only "concern".

If they end up missing on Brown (jury still out) then I think picking the wrong tackle twice is the problem rather than not drafting enough tackles. It's always more nuanced than just chuck resources at it in the draft. You have to get that right. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Ok…

The reason I ask that question is I note that a lot of people here tend to be pessimistic in their outlook… I’m not sure why about this current team that is like  the third favourite to win the Championship..I’ve been following this team for 40 years and this is rarified air to have a team this highly rated …

it’s tough improving on a 13-3 team….

I think the OL and RB are improved though… not that the OL is elite by any means…but simply not having  Saffold there is an improvement for me…I would have liked to see an upgrade on Brown..  at least there are other solid options this year to turn to if he is not getting it done … I like the addition of Brown and Murray… they have running options in the red zone now not named Josh Allen

WR I’m not so sure about… let’s see if Beane is done there though come Week 1… I wouldn’t be surprised if something else happens …TE is improved through Kincaid…

The D should not be any worse than last year if they can get a better deal with injuries …it’s hard to imagine that situation not improving …

I brought up the coaching doubts earlier… we won’t know until the season is underway and even through the end of the season…what has happened last year isn’t relevant for next season … Leslie is gone and Dorsey isn’t a rookie anymore…

it’s possible they are a better team this year even if their record is worse in 2023… success to me means progressing further …

Let’s wait and see

Well .. he got roasted for Teller right?

I note he moved on from Moss and Ford last year…

“It’s possible they are a better team this year even if their record is worse in 2023… success to me means progressing further …”

This is my definition of success as well.  There’s potential for things to be better this year, I’m hopeful they will.  I am not 100% sold on the changes made on D, but McD gets to show us what he’s got.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

“It’s possible they are a better team this year even if their record is worse in 2023… success to me means progressing further …”

This is my definition of success as well.  There’s potential for things to be better this year, I’m hopeful they will.  I am not 100% sold on the changes made on D, but McD gets to show us what he’s got.

That depends upon how we lose those additional games.  

If we continue to get outcoached against the better teams, particularly in the playoffs, and after all of the offseason moves, then it cannot possibly be defined as success.  Presumably you agree.  

If we go to the playoffs and advance to the AFC CG and lose to a team that simply outplayed us despite our having put up a fantastic game otherwise, then yes.  But if we continue to play poorly against lower seeds and get outclassed and cannot advance past the Divisional Round again, then it would be a difficult argument to suggest that we've improved or to define an otherwise underachieving season as having been successful.  

Or if we lose a bunch of games due to allowing near 200 rushing yards for example.  In three of our losses last season, 2 in the regular season, we allowed an average of 164 rushing yards.  Cook was the only above-average RB we faced in those three games.  

With more talent is more expected, both in terms of record as well as playoff performance.  We have one of the most talented teams in the league, even if only because of Allen.  I envision no scenario for claiming "success" if we cannot win the division or if we get bounced from the playoffs in the WC or D round again.  

There is no good reason why we should be anything less than a #2 Seed if we're not underachieving.  

56 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

I like the moves Beane has made to improve the oline. We will see soon if it pays dividends. 

However, shouldn't we be critical about why the Oline hasn't been good during the five year Beane/ McD era? Isn't that enough time to build a solid oline? Allen was on his rookie contract and cap room was plentiful. 

We fans and experts have banged the table for years to upgrade the oline. Only to find ourselves five years later hoping...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, newcam2012 said:

I like the moves Beane has made to improve the oline. We will see soon if it pays dividends. 

However, shouldn't we be critical about why the Oline hasn't been good during the five year Beane/ McD era? Isn't that enough time to build a solid oline? Allen was on his rookie contract and cap room was plentiful. 

We fans and experts have banged the table for years to upgrade the oline. Only to find ourselves five years later hoping...

The oline was good in 2020 in fairness (and no coincidence it was Josh's best season to date). I know Kansas City kinda worked us over in both games - and I think you can legitimately put that down to coaching, think Spags outcoached Daboll and Bobby Johnson on both occasions. But other than KC the line was good that year. Not an elite line but borderline top 10. Unfortunately my concern was always that the lack of crowds and the NFL clearly backing off on offensive holding calls to allow games to flow in empty stadiums and try to protect the TV spectacle made oline play easier and our group regressed in 2021. Daryl Williams was excellent at right tackle in 2020 and then slid back and ended up at guard and Feliciano who I was always a bit of a sceptic of regressed. 

But basically in Josh's career the olines have been:

2018 - trash (by Beane's own admission)

2019 - average

2020 - good

2021 - bad

2022 - bad bordering on terrible

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The oline was good in 2020 in fairness (and no coincidence it was Josh's best season to date). I know Kansas City kinda worked us over in both games - and I think you can legitimately put that down to coaching, think Spags outcoached Daboll and Bobby Johnson on both occasions. But other than KC the line was good that year. Not an elite line but borderline top 10. Unfortunately my concern was always that the lack of crowds and the NFL clearly backing off on offensive holding calls to allow games to flow in empty stadiums and try to protect the TV spectacle made oline play easier and our group regressed in 2021. Daryl Williams was excellent at right tackle in 2020 and then slid back and ended up at guard and Feliciano who I was always a bit of a sceptic of regressed. 

But basically in Josh's career the olines have been:

2018 - trash (by Beane's own admission)

2019 - average

2020 - good

2021 - bad

2022 - bad bordering on terrible

Nice breakdown Gunner. 

20 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The Bills signed one of the better pass-blocking guards in the league who is also a decent run blocker, they drafted the best guard and tight end in the draft. They also signed a power running back and kept Hines as a good gadget/third-down back. In addition to that they signed Hardy as a burner and Sheffield who was the Fins third leading receiver to supplement the WR corps depth. The Bills also further addressed depth along the interior O-line by signing Edwards a former solid starting guard for a Super Bowl winner to go off the bench and they brought back Queese as a decent backup and signed Snell an experienced RT to challenge Brown in camp. The Bills are also still in on trying to sign Hopkins so clearly they are still trying to find some players on offense still.

The Bills had limited resources this off-season and they spent those resources more so on the offensive side of the ball. The criticism of over-investment in defense was extremely valid in 2021 and 2022. But in 2023 they have focused more so on offense both in terms of higher draft picks and cap dollars. 

I absolutely agree, but Buffalo didn't throw $15 million per year at any free agents on the offensive line, so in the minds of some pundits they didn't do anything meaningful.

20 hours ago, DCofNC said:

lost one of the best LBs in the league

Oh, that's interesting.

On 3/13/2023 at 10:47 PM, DCofNC said:

can’t wait for Chi to realize they got JAG in Edmunds.

On 1/1/2023 at 2:56 PM, DCofNC said:

Just because Edmunds is better than the trash behind him does not mean he’s a genuine impact guy.

On 6/1/2022 at 9:36 PM, DCofNC said:

If they re-sign Edmunds to a top 5 level deal, I’ll officially give up on McBeane.

Why are you stretching to find reasons to criticize Beane? It's bizarre. There are genuine criticisms to be made without suddenly flipping the opinion you've always held.

5 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

I absolutely agree, but Buffalo didn't throw $15 million per year at any free agents on the offensive line, so in the minds of some pundits they didn't do anything meaningful.

I think you are missing the big point. The Bills oline has been problematic for quite some time. Some level of responsibility falls on the coaches, scouts, and GM. It's really been a major reason why the Bills haven't advanced further in the playoffs. 

So I don't or can't blame Cowherd for criticizing the Bills. He should have acknowledged the off season moves. That's whereby fault him. 

3 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Colin just sounded like a casual who doesn’t really follow the team. No mention of McGovern signing. I don’t pay attention to what the national talking heads say about the Bills. They really don’t know *****

He did make a lot of sense even though it wasn't pleasent to hear as a Bills fan. 

Now, I didn't completely agree with everything he said but the gest of his take was fairly accurate. 

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I think you are missing the big point. The Bills oline has been problematic for quite some time. Some level of responsibility falls on the coaches, scouts, and GM. It's really been a major reason why the Bills haven't advanced further in the playoffs. 

So I don't or can't blame Cowherd for criticizing the Bills. He should have acknowledged the off season moves. That's whereby fault him. 

It's true that the Bills offensive line has underperformed the needs of the offense for several seasons.  It makes the Bills easy to criticize.  Any media observer has the right to be critical, and certainly the Bills have earned it based on the inadequate attention paid to addressing the offensive line.  As far as the coming season is concerned, nobody really knows whether or not the most recent off season moves will fix the problems.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

It's true that the Bills offensive line has underperformed the needs of the offense for several seasons.  It makes the Bills easy to criticize.  Any media observer has the right to be critical, and certainly the Bills have earned it based on the inadequate attention paid to addressing the offensive line.  As far as the coming season is concerned, nobody really knows whether or not the most recent off season moves will fix the problems.

You said it better than I. 100% agree. 

3 hours ago, Airseven said:

Not that I watch a lot of these content shows, but I find Cowherd to be very articulate and insightful. He’s able to carry a show without an abundance of guest spots nor scripted debates.

I've always liked listening to him on the radio. I think he's pretty solid. Of course, I don't always agree with his takes. He says some things for shock value but who doesn't these days. 

I find him more right than wrong. When he's wrong he does admit it. That goes a long way in my book. 

His take here is not outlandish at all. In fact, I think he's more right than wrong here. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Airseven said:

Not that I watch a lot of these content shows, but I find Cowherd to be very articulate and insightful. He’s able to carry a show without an abundance of guest spots nor scripted debates.

Even when Colin is wrong, and he is plenty, he actually tries to set out his logic for a position. Sometimes it feels a bit like he decides his position then retro fits the logic - and there is a bit of that here - not sure the Bills signing Leanord Floyd for $2.7m on a 1 year deal means anything at all for their intentions on offense, but compared to other talking heads Colin at least always tries to set out a coherent narrative. 

And of course there is some truth to the narrative that the Bills haven't done enough around Allen in recent years. Just not sure this particular move is indicative of that.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

On 6/6/2023 at 4:25 PM, teef said:

Without watching a single second, I’m going to guess it made you tingle down there.  Am I right?

I’ve known you for too many years and likeive has shown me too many pics of you but this is your best post ever.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/7/2023 at 4:31 PM, Shaw66 said:

I agree.

And I want to add something to discussion that has been nagging at me when I first saw it a few weeks ago.  I don't recall the thread where this discussion took place, but someone dug out passer rating and other performance data splits on Burrow and Allen in 2022.  I think Mahomes' data was there, too.  Among other things, the data showed that Burrow's passer rating rose incrementally from the first quarter to the fourth quarter.   Allen's dropped off in the fourth quarter fairly significantly.  Mahomes was better than Allen, too.

There are multiple things of significance in that information.  First, of course, is that there could be a lot of different reasons why Allen's performance tailed off in the fourth quarter - it's a team game, and any number of things could contribute to Allen's decline.  

Second, whatever the reason for Allen's decline, there simply is no question that you'd rather have a QB with a passer rating of 105 in the fourth quarter than 89, which is in the ballpark of what the difference was.   There's simply no question that your team is likely to have greater success if your team has a quarterback who's very efficient in the fourth quarter.  

Third, this kind of information really undermines the argument that you've properly challenged here - that is, if the team has an elite quarterback, the coaches should be winning Super Bowls.  Who's to say that the problem isn't simply with #17.  Maybe the coaches are doing it all right, and #17 just isn't getting the job done?   Now, I know there are all kinds of rebuttals to that, some of which I agree with, particularly it's Dorsey, it's clock management, it's the offensive line, but none of that is the point.  The point is that there's elite and there's elite, and to blindly lay the problem at the feet of the GM and coaches isn't looking nearly closely enough at what might be causing the team to fall short. 

Maybe the only reason the Chiefs are winning Super Bowls and the Bills aren't is that Mahomes is simply better than Allen.   I suppose that thought will cause some people to say, "Well, then that's reason enough to put McDermott on the hot seat, because he's the one who decided he didn't want Mahomes."  Those people will flame away.   They're the people who, when the Bills win the Super Bowl, will complain that they didn't beat the spread.  

Or with Allen’s arm injury he was tiring and didn’t have the strength or accuracy by the 4th quarter. What were his numbers the past few years? What about the first half of season where we took the foot off the gas with big leads? Just not enough info to make such a judgement.

On 6/8/2023 at 2:34 PM, BillMafia716ix said:

Colin just sounded like a casual who doesn’t really follow the team. No mention of McGovern signing. I don’t pay attention to what the national talking heads say about the Bills. They really don’t know *****

Why would a National guy mention the McGovern signing?  To this point in his career, he has been the definition of JAG.  Now maybe Beane saw something that nobody else did and he turns out to be a great signing, but unless and until that happens, it’s not a move he deserves any sort of recognition over.  It’s not like he signed an established anchor on the line or made an aggressive move to draft a blue chip prospect.  

If this season ends the way last year’s did, Beane is going to be a pariah.  The narrative will be that he had an entire offseason to address the line and WR situations and the best he came up with was Connor McGovern, a late second round rookie Guard, Deonte Harty, and Trent Sherfield.  Nobody is going to be shocked if those moves fail to move the needle.  Similarly, nobody is going to be shocked if a bunch of guys in their thirties are worn down and/or injured by the end of the season again.

Now these moves could end up working to perfection, and if they do then the Bills are Super Bowl contenders.  Still, it’s hard to blame someone who looks at the offseason and doesn’t see how the moves Beane has made have pulled them ahead of Cincinnati, Kansas City, and Philadelphia come January.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.