How the name, Bills Mafia, was born

BillsFan619

That is also about the time the Bills switched from supporting Bills Backers Groups and fan groups from buying season tickets to selling them to ticket agencies and brokers to resell.  Most of them are in zip codes which Bills fans who live in those zip codes cannot buy season tickets.

I do not think it is a coincidence. 

• Like (+1) 1

I know some people, particularly older ones, don't like associating Bills fandom with a criminal organization that has done some heinous things...

However, it's clear that as a marketing tool, it makes the team's fanbase very cool to players and I think it's a plus for recruitment. 

So I get the opposition, but given Buffalo is a small market with higher taxes, cold weather, and minimal night life — important considerations for free agents — I'll take almost any advantage we can get and I'm ok with that moniker.

Others will say, no way, and I respect their point of view, but agree to differ. But if Buffalo or the region had a recent mafia slaying of innocent people, I would be moved to take that position. You don't make light of recent tragedy.

• Like (+1) 5

51 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

I know some people, particularly older ones, don't like associating Bills fandom with a criminal organization that has done some heinous things...

However, it's clear that as a marketing tool, it makes the team's fanbase very cool to players and I think it's a plus for recruitment. 

So I get the opposition, but given Buffalo is a small market with higher taxes, cold weather, and minimal night life — important considerations for free agents — I'll take almost any advantage we can get and I'm ok with that moniker.

Others will say, no way, and I respect their point of view, but agree to differ. But if Buffalo or the region had a recent mafia slaying of innocent people, I would be moved to take that position. You don't make light of recent tragedy.

What is someone's sister gets run over by a Buffalo while they are in Yosemite?  God forbid.  We will have to change the name of the city. 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsFan619 said:

Very cool article on how the name, Bills Mafia, was born.

The Bills Mafia birthdate is 7.31.11.

Enjoy. Go Bills!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/37597897/stevie-johnson-buffalo-bills-mafia

It's a great story and a name that I've come to appreciate after initially dismissing it. I love that it gives our fanbase a distinct identity. In my job I meet people from all around the globe and I'm often asked if I'm part of Bills Mafia?

On a related note, here is a great bit that stand-up Joe Pera did about the Stevie drop:

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BillsFan619 said:

Very cool article on how the name, Bills Mafia, was born.

The Bills Mafia birthdate is 7.31.11.

Enjoy. Go Bills!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/37597897/stevie-johnson-buffalo-bills-mafia

I as born on 7/31/, but back in 59, 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nephilim17 said:

It started with Hollywood glamourizing it.  They made the Mafia look cool.

But I won't complain about it because I bought in and love the Mafia name.  

16 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

It's a great story and a name that I've come to appreciate after initially dismissing it. I love that it gives our fanbase a distinct identity. In my job I meet people from all around the globe and I'm often asked if I'm part of Bills Mafia?

On a related note, here is a great bit that stand-up Joe Pera did about the Stevie drop:

As soon as I read that Stevie tweet years ago, I immediately thought of this stand-up bit:

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It started with Hollywood glamourizing it.  They made the Mafia look cool.

But I won't complain about it because I bought in and love the Mafia name.  

Yep. If you're an average mind mush American you probably think the Sopranos are all great guys, and you admire them. In reality, they (and their real life counterparts) are the scum of the earth who should be despised and denigrated and eliminated from the planet. 

Edited by Bob Jones
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Yep. If you're an average mind mush American you probably think the Sopranos are all great guys, and you admire them. In reality, they (and their real life counterparts) are the scum of the earth who should be despised and denigrated and eliminated from the planet. 

Okay Karen.  I never said these guys are great guys and admire them.  I said I liked the name and bought into it.  

40 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

His Bills bit is so hilarious especially for people from Buffalo.  My sons grew up in Tampa, but they love the Bills so loved these references.

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Okay Karen.  I never said these guys are great guys and admire them.  I said I liked the name and bought into it.  

You referenced Karen and all I could think of is this…

In all seriousness, I’ve read bits pieces of the Mafia logo starting around Stevie, but enjoyed this story and the backdrop.

We really are a family. Not everything is great, but we stick together like a family.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I still feel that way about Rex Ryan FWIW.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I wasn't directing it at you, and I do understand your position. Plus, we all know that all Bills' fans are very smart, and would never fall for any "Hollywood glamorization" of despicable/dirty characters. 😉😂

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Buffalo has a mafia presence 

The five families of New York City are always the most popular… But there’s been a six family operating in Buffalo for the last hundred years also

Just because they stay under wraps doesn’t mean they don’t exist… How often do you hear about New York City mafia killings? 

Some people are uneasy about the name because Buffalo has a mafia history

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The five families of New York City are always the most popular… But there’s been a six family operating in Buffalo for the last hundred years also

Just because they stay under wraps doesn’t mean they don’t exist… How often do you hear about New York City mafia killings? 

How would the world feel if Green Bay fans branded themselves the Green Bay Gestapo? Same principle at work.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

19 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Thanks for sharing; I did not know that.

I think — rightly or wrongly — most assume that the mafia hits and activity involve other criminals and thus the people who are good with using the name light-heartedly don't blink. They assume innocent people are not hurt and killed in this day and age. Again, I have no idea if this is true but I'm guessing that's the feeling of people who condone it.

I'm not going to get into a heavy debate about it but to a 26-year-old player it adds a cool factor and gives our fanbase an aura. Lots of grey areas in pro sports when it comes to ethics and people all have different points of view and thresholds.

Just for kicks, I looked up the Google Search trends for Bills Mafia, and got this:

Screenshotfrom2023-05-1514-42-30.thumb.png.878f9826f62c6346c9b31eef67aa74e2.png

The six spikes on the right are: Jan 2018, Sep 2019, Jan 2021, Jan 2022, Sep 2022, Jan 2023.

So people search Bills Mafia in Sept and Jan, starting in earnest in 2018. Makes sense to me.

The mini-spikes on the left are interesting. Sep 2005 (9 searches) and Apr 2006 (12 searches). So someone was curious about the term back then.

4 minutes ago, boater said:

Just for kicks, I looked up the Google Search trends for Bills Mafia, and got this:

Screenshotfrom2023-05-1514-42-30.thumb.png.878f9826f62c6346c9b31eef67aa74e2.png

The six spikes on the right are: Jan 2018, Sep 2019, Jan 2021, Jan 2022, Sep 2022, Jan 2023.

So people search Bills Mafia in Sept and Jan, starting in earnest in 2018. Makes sense to me.

The mini-spikes on the left are interesting. Sep 2005 (9 searches) and Apr 2006 (12 searches). So someone was curious about the term back then.

So I guess this throws the whole "it was born in 2011" narrative out the window?

5 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Thanks for sharing; I did not know that.

I think — rightly or wrongly — most assume that the mafia hits and activity involve other criminals and thus the people who are good with using the name light-heartedly don't blink. They assume innocent people are not hurt and killed in this day and age. Again, I have no idea if this is true but I'm guessing that's the feeling of people who condone it.

I'm not going to get into a heavy debate about it but to a 26-year-old player it adds a cool factor and gives our fanbase an aura. Lots of grey areas in pro sports when it comes to ethics and people all have different points of view and thresholds.

Of course 

at the end of the day it’s just a name … the word mafia has been glorified and vilified 

Hollywood has made it sexy 

but the old hats who dealt with the buffalo mafia probably have a different tune lol

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bob Jones said:

I wasn't directing it at you, and I do understand your position. Plus, we all know that all Bills' fans are very smart, and would never fall for any "Hollywood glamorization" of despicable/dirty characters. 😉😂

Its not falling for it.  Its just the reality.

Hollywood glamorizes a lot of awful things.  Gladiator is one of the most successful films of all time.  

The Vikings is a major hit show.

Sons of Anarchy was a major hit show.

Etc….

17 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Its not falling for it.  Its just the reality.

Hollywood glamorizes a lot of awful things.  Gladiator is one of the most successful films of all time.  

The Vikings is a major hit show.

Sons of Anarchy was a major hit show.

Etc….

What’s awful about being a gladiator ? 

real gladiators were expensive and not likely to be killed in the games always … they were entertainers

it’s was the prisoners who had it bad ☠️💀

Edited by Buffalo716

37 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

What’s awful about being a gladiator ? 

real gladiators were expensive and not likely to be killed in the games always … they were entertainers

it’s was the prisoners who had it bad ☠️💀

They were superior soldiers fighting slaves to the death.  That's awful.  It would be like watching Canelo Alvarez get inside the ring and have him fight untrained Johnny Car Jacker until he was brain dead.  You would sign up for that if you're Canelo?  

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

They were superior soldiers fighting slaves to the death.  That's awful.  It would be like watching Canelo Alvarez get inside the ring and have him fight untrained Johnny Car Jacker until he was brain dead.  You would sign up for that if you're Canelo?  

I’ve Always thought we should put The worst of the worst criminals

In some sort of match like that … Timothy McVeigh vs Canelo?

ill watch

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

I’ve Always thought we should put The worst of the worst criminals

In some sort of match like that … Timothy McVeigh vs Canelo?

ill watch

I won't cry if they did it that way but I can't watch another man being beaten to death.  He deserves it but I'm not watching it.

Terming the fanbase "mafia" was lame AF.  The story that used to be sold to defend that phrasing was that Schefter complained that Bills fans were like a "mafia" and people ran with it sarcastically.   Now, in hindsight,  Del Reid now claims he just coined it out of thin air?    Whatever. :lol: 

It's a nerdy name but it achieved something that was necessary IMO.........it gave the fan base an identity to build around.   That was necessary because the product that was being put on the field by Ralph Wilson was lousy and there wasn't a commitment to winning from him.

We had basically become the Chicago Cubs of football......long suffering.......but without the charm.   Because the fan base couldn't figure out how to embrace the fandom itself being more important than the team and their results on the field.  

We were fractured and weak.......making us more vulnerable to the kind of treatment Ralph gave us.

The reason the Bills and the NFL jumped on the Bills Mafia branding was because they didn't want Bills Mafia to continue to evolve and become it's own entity........separate from the team.

If that mindset took off it could create something of a management/union dynamic between the NFL and it's fans that the NFL wants no part of.   They've done a good job of creating the impression that every team is committed to winning and that helps the NFL print money as a collective.   Outliers like Ralph in his later years threaten that dynamic with their obvious lack of concern for satisfying their fans.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

I am older Buffalo Bills fan and I fine whatever it’s a name whatever. People make too much of nicknames it’s a name people roll with it. I want old “Buffalo Bill Cody” riding on the Buffalo used more than the Buffalo Bills use it presently like at the 50 yard line in the future like the Cleveland Browns “Brownie the Elf” both from our AAFC days in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by I am leaving for good
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

The five families of New York City are always the most popular… But there’s been a six family operating in Buffalo for the last hundred years also.

This is true.

I am Italian. Nana was born on the boat that transported her family from Sicily to New York. They faked the birth once they docked, so she would be American.

In the 40's to 60's the Italian mafia in Buffalo was very strong. My great-grandfather would bury two people in a casket. On top was the person who died naturally. Beneath, was the slain. The stories i've heard would keep a person up at night. 

I'm in the group that thinks it is just a cool name.  And now it is starting to get its own brand - the Dalton contributions and the Josh Grandma thing were a great touch.

Now the mafia should add the name  "DK2 Semi-Automatic" for the new offense.  The D Kincaid + D Knox personnel grouping should be able to get Defenses in bad matchups.  In those situations Josh should go no-huddle so the D can't substitute. 

It's like the K Gun but more dangerous.  It has the added dimension that a lot of people would hate it.

PS, I find Del Reid to be very phony. Nothing about him feels authentic.  Right down to donating of a percentage of shirt costs, which feels more like a marketing ploy than anything else and has garnered him millions of dollars.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.