2023 NFL Draft DAY 2 **Live Thread*** Rounds 2 and 3

muppy

Well yesterday was jam packed with trades. How will things fall today?

I didn't see a thread posted yet. Maybe Mods could open the thread at draft start time in WNY time zone? Thanks.

@Simon

Edited by muppy
  • Thank you (+1) 2

My dream today-

Bergeron or Mauch @ 59 (or in a trade up).  I’d be happy with Avila or Schmitz too 

If that happens, we could drafted Lanny Bernard and his band of brothers in rounds 3-6, I’d still be happy.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 2

If one of the top DT’s drops, I’d be good taking one. 

Otherwise, I’m still on the Offense flow. 

Best available OL and/or WR. 

Our DT situation is just so puzzling…. Im assuming we have to take one, and one of significance at that … could we really go into the season with 4 DT’s on one year deals?

I think the FO is content at LB.  And if they weren’t, they better be, because apparently Jack Campbell wasn’t coming close to where we could get him. 

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If one of the top DT’s drops, I’d be good taking one. 

Otherwise, I’m still on the Offense flow. 

Best available OL and/or WR. 

Our DT situation is just so puzzling…. Im assuming we have to take one, and one of significance at that … could we really go into the season with 4 DT’s on one year deals?

I think the FO is content at LB.  And if they weren’t, they better be, because apparently Jack Campbell wasn’t coming close to where we could get him. 

On DT:  The Bills currently have 8 or 9 DT on the roster....(counts) 8.  I haven't been impressed by Ankou, Bryant etc. but they keep getting looks, in particular we keep bringing back Bryant.  I know little about Cortez Broughton other than he was drafted by the Chargers and KC picked him up before the Bills signed him, or Kendal Vickers other than he played for Las Vegas.  I think it's fair to say they're all pretty much career journeymen.

I think we will probably extend DaQuan Jones.  I think Beane has just been waiting for after the draft, he's said before that he likes to take things sequentially: FA and what contract renegotiations he needs to get through FA; then the draft; then extensions.

Oliver is a puzzle to me.  He flashes at time, then he disappears.  He's not IMHO consistent enough as a 3TDT to merit a big extension, but you hate to see the Bills move on from 2 back-to-back 1st round picks for a 3rd round comp pick.

I'm with you in being on the "Offense Flow", but I think Beane has telegraphed they will draft a DT if one they like falls to them.  Frankly it wouldn't shock me if the next two picks were D and we pick up an OL or WR in the 5th or something.

I don't think they're content with LB.  Unless I'm mistaken, there's only 1 LB drafted so far.

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

On DT:  The Bills currently have 8 or 9 DT on the roster....(counts) 8.  I haven't been impressed by Ankou, Bryant etc. but they keep getting looks, in particular we keep bringing back Bryant.  I know little about Cortez Broughton other than he was drafted by the Chargers and KC picked him up before the Bills signed him, or Kendal Vickers other than he played for Las Vegas.  I think it's fair to say they're all pretty much career journeymen.

I think we will probably extend DaQuan Jones.  I think Beane has just been waiting for after the draft, he's said before that he likes to take things sequentially: FA and what contract renegotiations he needs to get through FA; then the draft; then extensions.

Oliver is a puzzle to me.  He flashes at time, then he disappears.  He's not IMHO consistent enough as a 3TDT to merit a big extension, but you hate to see the Bills move on from 2 back-to-back 1st round picks for a 3rd round comp pick.

I'm with you in being on the "Offense Flow", but I think Beane has telegraphed they will draft a DT if one they like falls to them.  Frankly it wouldn't shock me if the next two picks were D and we pick up an OL or WR in the 5th or something.

I don't think they're content with LB.  Unless I'm mistaken, there's only 1 LB drafted so far.

Yea, Daquan Jones is the only guy I “think” is back next year, with a likely extension at some point.   Maybe Phillips as well on a year to year basis, if he can stay healthy. 

I think the top DT’s may go early/mid RD2, so I’ll be interested in seeing what happens if Benton, Dexter etc all go off the board before us.  If one is there, I think we take one. 

In terms of LB, Campbell seemed to be THE MLB of the Draft… and not just in the Bills eyes.  Sanders and Simpson are intriguing, but definitely not sure fire MLB’s.   If they go before us, are the remaining LB’s any different than just having an open competing between Bernard, Dodson and Spector?

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

Awesome, looking forward to another entertaining night.

I think draft starts at 7pm (est) tonight though

gracias. I amended the thread OP.  GO BILLS!~!

• Like (+1) 2

I'd like to see the Bills get one of these athletic DT's in the 2nd or 3rd...In fact, I expect it. There are plenty of names. Benton being the best among them, but I seriously doubt he'll last till the Bills pick in the 2nd. It's weird because I don't really love any of them, but I can see upside with all of them. The Bills did have a few in...if we go off visits we should keep an eye on Pickens and Dexter Sr...Especially if the Bills trade down a little (like last year) to grab an extra pick or two. If we want to go off pure athletic upside it's Dexter for me. Though he needs to get stronger. And his 1st step can be painfully slow at times. 

WR/OT/LB are all possibilities. Mingo or Mims would be hard to pass...Hutchinson if you want a guy for Gabe insurance...I don't think Tyler Scott gets too far into day 2, but we'll see...He did have some drop issues. I think most of the viable OT's will be gone before the Bills pick. 

Lastly...Would not mind if they took Nick Hampton on day 3 and converted him to more of an off ball LB in the Zo Alexander mold, or even at MIKE...It may take a year or two, but he can be a real nice developmental guy. B-)

14 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

At this point I wouldn't bother with WR, there isn't any more room anyway. I'd like OL and then Linebacker.

We have Diggs, Davis, Shakir, Harty and Sherfield.  

After Diggs, they are all question marks.

-Can Davis make the jump to a reliable WR2 in a high powered offense?

-Can Shakir be a WR3?

-Can Harty stay healthy and make an impact?

-Sherfield is what he is .. good WR depth/Special Teams.  

With Knox and Kincaid, it’s certainly less of a worry, but that’s a lot of uncertainty in the WR room of a team with Super Bowl aspirations. 

A night two WR doesn’t solve that uncertainly, but it provides another potential answer in the equation if any of those three questions is a “no”. 

As we head into day 2 of the draft, I’m curious to see what everyone is hoping to get out of this evening.  

I wasn’t happy about using our 4th round pick to trade up, but I do like the pick.  I had to take a moment to process it, because I didn’t think Kincaid was even an option for us.  I like the idea of him being more of a slot and in 12 personnel.  I am curious if this will allow Dawson to live up to his contract and if Dorsey can utilize them both appropriately, but you can’t argue that Beane has a solid squad out on the field.  

For tonight, I think we have to find a way to get a MLB.  I don’t like the idea of figuring it out with what we have, or using a rotation.  MLB runs the defense and you need consistency there.  Whoever they select, I’ll trust them.  

The other pick, I still want a OT that can kick inside, but I will understand if they go DT.  We have to think about next year too and DT will be a big need.  

I don’t have any particular players in mind.  I liked the WR a from Tennessee, but I don’t think we will go that route tonight.  

• Like (+1) 1

I think the way the 2nd will fall the value position groups are going to be in the IOL and DT for round 2.  

I think the WRs that would be value will be gone in the middle of the round.  I think the TE run will start early.  

The Shocker I think that is going to confuse people is that Hooker will be the next QB taken.  Reality is Levis is what he is with no upside. 

6 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

I'd like to see the Bills get one of these athletic DT's in the 2nd or 3rd...In fact, I expect it. There are plenty of names. Benton being the best among them, but I seriously doubt he'll last till the Bills pick in the 2nd. It's weird because I don't really love any of them, but I can see upside with all of them. The Bills did have a few in...if we go off visits we should keep an eye on Pickens and Dexter Sr...Especially if the Bills trade down a little (like last year) to grab an extra pick or two. If we want to go off pure athletic upside it's Dexter for me. Though he needs to get stronger. And his 1st step can be painfully slow at times. 

WR/OT/LB are all possibilities. Mingo or Mims would be hard to pass...Hutchinson if you want a guy for Gabe insurance...I don't think Tyler Scott gets too far into day 2, but we'll see...He did have some drop issues. I think most of the viable OT's will be gone before the Bills pick. 

Lastly...Would not mind if they took Nick Hampton on day 3 and converted him to more of an off ball LB in the Zo Alexander mold, or even at MIKE...It may take a year or two, but he can be a real nice developmental guy. B-)

Just mentioned you in another thread... remember when we were excited the Bills drafted Todd Collins? I miss those days of the Mel Kiper Draft publications....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.