Good perspective on how good we were last year

BillsFan619

“Even with Josh Allen throwing more INTs than he should’ve, even though they didn’t have the running game they should’ve, even though they lost Von Miller to injury, they still went THIRTEEN and THREE!”

This doesn’t even include all the other significant injuries we had on top of all the adversity that we faced and dealt with. All this and still 13-3.

Click on the link to watch the video. It’s only over a minute long. It’s good. Here’s to 2023. Go Bills!

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/36091817

While it still ended in a way none of us wanted it to, I wonder if it came down to running out of gas or having a bad day than the Bengals being SOO much better of a team. While we were watching the game, my wife even said that she didn’t recognize the team that was out there, and before that game, we lost THREE games by a total of EIGHT points! Heck, we even beat KC (the SB Champs) in their house last year.

@Success - supports your point of how some let one game define who we were

@Aussie Joe and @Dukestreetking, the link is now working. Thanks for the heads up!

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 9

5 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

“Even with Josh Allen throwing more INTs than he should’ve, even though they didn’t have the running game they should’ve, even though they lost Von Miller to injury, they still went THIRTEEN and THREE!”

Click on the link to watch the video. It’s only over a minute long. It’s good. Here’s to 2023. Go Bills!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/

@Success - supports your point of how some let one game define who we were. While it still ended in a way none of us wanted it to, before that game, we lost THREE games by a total of EIGHT points!

But.....we lost 1 game by 17 points. 

first.jpg.85a91af162788f98cccbe1906a65b6f4.jpg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

@Success - supports your point of how some let one game define who we were. While it still ended in a way none of us wanted it to, before that game, we lost THREE games by a total of EIGHT points!

Forgot “secondary was decimated by injuries - White, Hyde, Poyer playing injured, Hamlin, Benford missed time and I think Jackson missed time(but could be wrong on that one.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Figster said:

When you reach the playoffs you are about as good as the last game you play IMO.

Takes like this are internet sensationalism at its finest (or lowest, however a persons wants to perceive it) 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Forgot “secondary was decimated by injuries - White, Hyde, Poyer playing injured, Hamlin, Benford missed time and I think Jackson missed time(but could be wrong on that one.

Elam started and Jackson split time with him.  I don't recall if they platooned or if Elam got dinged.  I think Benford was inactive.

Marlowe started at safety and went out about halfway through the game.  Jaquan Johnson replaced him.

Poyer went out and was replaced by Cam Lewis. - about 1/5 of the game.

So for about 1/5 of the game our secondary was Tre White, Dane Jackson,  Taron Johnson, Jaquan Johnson, and Cam Lewis.

We were a great team, who circumstances caught up w/ and derailed.

We were just blowing teams away in the 1st couple of months, and clicking on all cylinders.  But man, so much happened over the course of the season. Every team has adversity, but it hit a limit.

And we just had a flat day against Cincy.  I think largely because of the things that had happened later in the season, but I get that opinions vary on that.  I don't buy the narrative that we're just some regular season team.  We have had very mixed results in the playoffs, but it's not like they haven't shown up for other playoff games.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4

39 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Bills are a great regular season team! 😇

Except, we’re not … All this talk about our regular season success, how good our defense is in the regular season…

How many 1 seeds?

How do we think the playoffs go if our path is BYE .. Jax at home .. KC at home, with Hyde back..?

It matters.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Except, we’re not … All this talk about our regular season success, how good our defense is in the regular season…

How many 1 seeds?

How do we think the playoffs go if our path is BYE .. Jax at home .. KC at home, with Hyde back..?

It matters.  

13 wins, 11 wins, 13 wins again…those aren’t collectively great regular seasons?

8 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Takes like this are internet sensationalism at its finest (or lowest, however a persons wants to perceive it) 

Ok, I'll bite. The Bills were out coached on both sides of the football vs Cinci/playoffs. Josh Allen played his worst game of the season. The Bills couldn't even get the right cleats on their feet in a home playoff game.  All when it mattered the most.

Is that better for you?

• Vomit 1

49 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

which means no teams are good except the Superbowl winner even if the winner is only good at winning by cheating.

Do we look at the Eagles this way? How about no,and why is that?

The Eagles last game was competitive and not a blow out.

Does that help?

Edited by Figster

We were an above average team that did not peak at the right time. 

But in all honesty we could be sitting as back to back champions if things would have went a little differently. 

Sadly, that's harder to take than knowing you just don't have the team. If you have the team and still can't, then when can you?

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, SCBills said:

How many 1 seeds?

It matters.  

Since when did having a great regular season guarantee a 1 seed? Did anyone say we had the best regular season? 13-3 is a great season, whether it comes with the 1 seed or not.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

You are so freaking entitled

Ah yes, Bills fans are clearly so entitled.  What, with all our Super Bowl victories and the drought that was present for most of our lives.  

We had good regular seasons.  Not great.  Get the 1 seed, like KC manages to do.. thus giving them the easiest path to the Super Bowl, and I’ll agree we had a great regular season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Ah yes, Bills fans are clearly so entitled.  What, with all our Super Bowl victories and the drought that was present for most of our lives.  

We had good regular seasons.  Not great.  Get the 1 seed, like KC manages to do.. thus giving them the easiest path to the Super Bowl, and I’ll agree we had a great regular season. 

13 and three is a good regular season?

I guess we should’ve won every game I mean that’s what every team in the league does right

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

We were an above average team that did not peak at the right time. 

But in all honesty we could be sitting as back to back champions if things would have went a little differently. 

Sadly, that's harder to take than knowing you just don't have the team. If you have the team and still can't, then when can you?

It does hurt.  Our teams in both of the last 2 seasons were good enough to win it all.

Missed opportunities, but the stars also need to align. Just having a top team isn't enough.  I would not have picked either the Rams or KC as champs in the last 2 seasons, but they both got hot at the right time, and both had a bit of luck along the way.  KC had years where they should have been more likely to win a ring - but 1 year, a guy was 6 inches Offside, and another, Mahomes just lost his game for about a quarter.

This past year, they got very fortunate calls in both the AFCCG and SB to be able to get over the top. I feel like the Bills haven't gotten ANY breaks along the way yet.  The luck has largely gone against us.

Just now, Success said:

It does hurt.  Our teams in both of the last 2 seasons were good enough to win it all.

Missed opportunities, but the stars also need to align. Just having a top team isn't enough.  I would not have picked either the Rams or KC as champs in the last 2 seasons, but they both got hot at the right time, and both had a bit of luck along the way.  KC had years where they should have been more likely to win a ring - but 1 year, a guy was 6 inches Offside, and another, Mahomes just lost his game for about a quarter.

This past year, they got very fortunate calls in both the AFCCG and SB to be able to get over the top. I feel like the Bills haven't gotten ANY breaks along the way yet.  The luck has largely gone against us.

The real question is, how did we manage to go 13 and three with all of the injuries that we had

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, phypon said:

When do we get our participation trophies?  Asking for a friend...

You’ll get nothing and like it,

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

He reminds me of a instructor in college who for a "weed out" class for Computer Science he said there will be one grade (90+ students).

I did get the A and he was furious when he found out that the A did not go to a computer science major.  He told me I should not be in that class.

Following semester I was in second class and when he saw me in class said I should take a different class and I told him I tried but there were no slots available since "computer science majors" were avoiding his classes filling up other sessions.  New grading rules stated that A's would go to computer science majors only since they needed this class to be majors.  I gave new grading rules to CS dean and stated according to University rules classes are supposed to be equally graded to all students.  He was forced to change it with warning he would be watching him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

This doesn’t even include all the other significant injuries we had on top of all the adversity that we faced and dealt with. All this and still 13-3.

While it still ended in a way none of us wanted it to, I wonder if it came down to running out of gas or having a bad day than the Bengals being SOO much better of a team. While we were watching the game, my wife even said that she didn’t recognize the team that was out there, and before that game, we lost THREE games by a total of EIGHT points! Heck, we even beat KC (the SB Champs) in their house last year.

@Success - supports your point of how some let one game define who we were

When I click on the link I just get the ESPN NFL page..?

4 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

We'll you can tell your friend, no one wants that trophy, but just because you weren't the 1st seed doesn't mean you suck either. 

No one is saying we sucked.   That is a strawman argument. 

We were good.  We’ve had good regular seasons.  

A great regular season, imo, is when we finally get the 1 seed.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Elam started and Jackson split time with him.  I don't recall if they platooned or if Elam got dinged.  I think Benford was inactive.

Marlowe started at safety and went out about halfway through the game.  Jaquan Johnson replaced him.

Poyer went out and was replaced by Cam Lewis. - about 1/5 of the game.

So for about 1/5 of the game our secondary was Tre White, Dane Jackson,  Taron Johnson, Jaquan Johnson, and Cam Lewis.

I was talking about the whole season, not just the Bengals’ game.  This team overcame a TON of adversity last season - then they went through Hamlin’s heart stopping on the field.  If people don’t think that affected the team, then I strongly disagree.

We are a good football team. There’s no doubt about that. But when it matters we fall short. Regular season records are irrelevant when it’s all said and done. You make the playoffs or you don’t. Doesn’t matter if that’s a 6-11 record or 17-0, the ultimate goal is to win it all and frankly we fall short more often than not. The closest we got was the AFC championship and got rolled by the Chiefs. That year we scraped by the Rivers-led Colts and Raven thanks to a pick-6 in a stalemate. 

There’s few games where this team plays well as a whole. It’s one or the other floundering or slacking when it matters most. Blame falls on Offense and Defense for the collective failures we’ve had in the P/O’s…. That, at least to me, is a coaching problem. 

I’m not saying fire McDermott but there has to be improvements this year or serious questions must be had regarding his future success for the team. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

No one is saying we sucked.   That is a strawman argument. 

We were good.  We’ve had good regular seasons.  

A great regular season, imo, is when we finally get the 1 seed.  

Like I said, entitled
Most fans in the league would take a 13 and three season and said they had a great season

4 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Who cares about the regular season record when the Bills were the odds on favorite to win the Super Bowl?

Welcome to top tier team status.  The standards are high.

That is part of the problem the expectations for the season

Only 6 times over the last 3 seasons has a team finished 13-3 or better. Packers and Eagles each did it once, KC & Buffalo are the only 2 to do it twice. Yet there are fans on here saying that those seasons aren't great. We also have the 2nd best record over the last 3 years, only trailing KC. Yeah, top 7% isn't great lol.

• Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.