Beane/McDermott Speak to the Media at Scouting Combine

Warcodered

What I got is Edmunds is gone, Oliver plays out his 5th year option (they wait until next year to decide) and the cap

is going to be a bit of a hassle for the next 2 years (I already knew 2024 is going to be hard too).

Benford to S.  Gabe's job to lose and Beane will draft a WR (we don't know which round).

Also, we all will have to see what Beane can get done in FA (not a real lot) to kind of see what will happen in the draft.

That's what I read between the lines.

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 8

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

What I got is Edmunds is gone, Oliver plays out his 5th year option (they wait until next year to decide) and the cap

is going to be a bit of a hassle for the next 2 years (I already knew 2024 is going to be hard too).

Benford to S.

Also, we all will have to see what Beane can get done in FA (not a real lot) to kind of see what will happen in the draft.

That's what I read between the lines.

I'm not sure I completely agree with your between-the-lines interpretation but neither Beane nor McD's is making anything particularly obvious.   Ask McD about any player and he'll tell you how well they're doing.  

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm not sure I completely agree with your between-the-lines interpretation but neither Beane nor McD's is making anything particularly obvious.   Ask McD about any player and he'll tell you how well they're doing.  

I'm sticking with what my "take" on it and will just wait to see what unfolds.

What I didn't get a clue on is the OL.  I small comment was all I heard.  It's the real question I'll have to wait and see on.

Some of my interpretations…right or wrong JMOs

Edmunds and Poyer are definitely gone. They are clearly upset about losing Tremaine. 

Benford stays at corner, unless they can’t find someone better. McDermott got excited talking about Benford playing corner, and I just don’t think you move him unless you think he can’t play corner. He would have to be one of the best 11 for the move. 

They like Shakir. When talking about WRs, McDermott brought him up really unprovoked, and no one else. I think McKenzie gets cut. They want smart route running players over speed and RAC ability. Ideally they want all these things. So I am not sure who that is in the draft or UFA. 

Gabe Davis dealt with an injury and there is a maybe a little more there with Gabe. I do think they bring in competition. 

Tight end could be a possibility early in the draft. Bringing in a tight end would also potentially upgrade the offense and Beane mentioned the idea that playing two tight ends could keep teams in their base defense. 

Bernard is not in the running to replace Tremaine. 

They will look to upgrade left guard. The rest of the line is coming back as is. 

They will bring in a running back, but I do think Hynes will stay. 

They will continue to add to the defensive line. Protect your quarterback and disrupt the other teams’ QB. 

Josh is the man. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 6

19 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Gabe Davis dealt with an injury and there is a maybe a little more there with Gabe. I do think they bring in competition. 

Was the injury to his fingers or hands.  

1 hour ago, ArtVandalay said:

The most difficult part of the draft for these two is selecting players that haven't played for the Panthers yet. 

Must be why they keep bringing the Carolina coaching staff over.  After all, they've all done such a marvelous job defensively in Carolina in recent years.  

The Ron Rivera coaching tree.  These guys see all the rotten fruit decaying at the bottom of it and decide that's the tree for them.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Was the injury to his fingers or hands.  

Beane said he had a high ankle sprain that took away from his route running because he had to take an extra false step on his release. Interesting point. He also said he’s would love to have some of those drops back. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The dude gets a high ankle sprain every year. They’d be really stupid to double down on Davis. He needs some legit competition… prefer a veteran like Michael Thomas or even OBJ along with a high draft pick. These guys will do one or the other though IMO.

Yeah I really do think that OBJ is coming.  I get the sense they feel, and I feel this too, that all those first round WR are going to be gone, and is a 3-4th round guy this year better than Gabe? Not sure. 

15 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Beane said he had a high ankle sprain that took away from his route running because he had to take an extra false step on his release. Interesting point. He also said he’s would love to have some of those drops back. 

Thanks.  Yeah, I was being facetious.  

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Some of my interpretations…right or wrong JMOs

Edmunds and Poyer are definitely gone. They are clearly upset about losing Tremaine. 

Benford stays at corner, unless they can’t find someone better. McDermott got excited talking about Benford playing corner, and I just don’t think you move him unless you think he can’t play corner. He would have to be one of the best 11 for the move. 

They like Shakir. When talking about WRs, McDermott brought him up really unprovoked, and no one else. I think McKenzie gets cut. They want smart route running players over speed and RAC ability. Ideally they want all these things. So I am not sure who that is in the draft or UFA. 

Tight end could be a possibility early in the draft. Bringing in a tight end would also potentially upgrade the offense and Beane mentioned the idea that playing two tight ends could keep teams in their base defense. 

Bernard is not in the running to replace Tremaine. 

They will look to upgrade left guard. The rest of the line is coming back as is. 

They will bring in a running back, but I do think Hynes will stay. 

They will continue to add to the defensive line. Protect your quarterback and disrupt the other teams’ QB. 

Josh is the man. 

They better do more than bring in a new left guard if they want to give Allen the oline he deserves. I think TE is one of those positions that might be in play at 27.

32 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Nobody should be surprised by this revelation as the hitch in his step was noticeable all year.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Malazan said:

Reading between the lines is my favorite because no matter what they say I can pretend they're saying whatever fits my mood!

Yeah, did anyone read between the lines that they would be signing Von Miller last year?

Fans just need to wait and see what happens. There's no use in guessing. Besides, everything changes constantly, so any targets they have right now will change as the off-season progresses.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

They better do more than bring in a new left guard if they want to give Allen the oline he deserves. I think TE is one of those positions that might be in play at 27.

Yeah I mean Beane said “we have Dion, Mitch, Bates, Spencer back and need to fill LG since Saffold is a UFA. Also its possible we bring Saffold back.” 

I would not expect wholesale changes honestly

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah I mean Beane said “we have Dion, Mitch, Bates, Spencer back and need to fill LG since Saffold is a UFA. Also its possible we bring Saffold back.” 

I think that there will be new OL in the mix next year.   They will add blockers in FA and the draft.  I believe 1st or 2nd round, finally.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Yeah, did anyone read between the lines that they would be signing Von Miller last year?

Fans just need to wait and see what happens. There's no use in guessing. Besides, everything changes constantly, so any targets they have right now will change as the off-season progresses.

Yeah but this is a pretty lively message board and I think it creates conversations. Some people need to be heroes I guess, but reading between the lines is a fun activity and I think making predictions is part of the fun. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I’d bet the house they pick safety at 27…. McD already said Benford staying at CB next season.

Oh, I figure Antonio Johnson, the Texas A&M safety has already been sent the playbook.

If they nickel and dime the offense yet again this offseason, no bueno. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah but this is a pretty lively message board and I think it creates conversations. Some people need to be heroes I guess, but reading between the lines is a fun activity and I think making predictions is part of the fun. 

I rarely make predictions, but I understand the desire to do it - kind of like predicting the ending of a book or a movie - and I enjoy reading other peoples' predictions and the rationales behind them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

The dude gets a high ankle sprain every year. They’d be really stupid to double down on Davis. He needs some legit competition… prefer a veteran like Michael Thomas or even OBJ along with a high draft pick. These guys will do one or the other though IMO.

Remember the preseason chatter about how ripped Davis had gotten?  Some of us expressed concern about torque injuries…

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Beane talked quite a bit about Tight End.

I could see them drafting two.  Solves a bunch of issues - blocking, creativity, check downs.  And it’s a super deep position in this draft.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Yes, let Davis compete with a vet who gets injured and also catches half of his passes...

One other thing that I found interesting and we have been talking about on here is that Beane talked about the need for playmakers. He basically said that 11-15 play drives down the field are how they want to play…however he said they need more 3 play 60 yard drives. I like that they recognize the need for more playmakers and I hope they are able to find some whether its WR, RB, TE…I think that is their emphasis in the draft and I think they will look to add a starter and depth with cheap young FA vets on the OL. I don’t seem them using high luxury picks on guards.

True playmakers, whether its RAC guys or take the top off the defense guys will help take some of that coverage away from Diggs. Playmakers in free agency are expensive, in the draft they only cost picks. We need those explosive plays. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yes, let Davis compete with a vet who gets injured and also catches half of his passes...

Between Davis and Thomas, we ought to be able to finally get 2 fully healthy ankles! 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

That would be...unfortunate

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

5 hours ago, K-9 said:

Nobody should be surprised by this revelation as the hitch in his step was noticeable all year.

If it is true that Davis was playing hindered all season:

1) we often praise the Bills injury handling, but it did Davis no favors if true, because he only missed one game, week 2, and played 96% and 98% of the snaps in the following 2 games where he was on injury report and had a "Questionable" game day designation.

2) I like the kid, but same story last season - "Questionable" week 2, but played - then towards the end of the season we're hearing about how he was visibly hampered through most of the season

In order to be a #2 WR the team can count on, Davis can't be hampered all season by injuries that occur in Week 2 and aren't serious enough to stop him from playing two years in a row.  Or, to put it another way, if he's going to be injured and play through it, he has to play at a high enough level to contribute anyway.

I'm having uncomfortable flashbacks to the 2021 Combine when Beane told us that Cody Ford had played more games injured than he had played healthy, and that he'd have to compete but he thought he'd be one of our best 5 OL for 2021.    It took 3 games to see that notion still was not working out.

I'm sure every player who has drops would like some of them back.  The question is, will he be able to come up with a program that changes what actually happens?

7 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Remember the preseason chatter about how ripped Davis had gotten?  Some of us expressed concern about torque injuries…

There is no way Gabe is ripped given that Instagram picture of him with Bert  K.

Gabe in that photo has no muscle tone and a belly. 

It’s hard for me to reconcile Beane’s comments about Gabe working so hard and that physique.

I know Gabe has that reputation as a hard worker, we saw when he got drafted he was running routes 20 minutes after he got picked.

I just don’t understand how a #2 NFL WR with 90+ targets can function at peak with that body.

6D31FA3F-1B77-41F1-BB00-62EB8F6698D4.jpeg

4 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

There is no way Gabe is ripped given that Instagram picture of him with Bert  K.

Gabe in that photo has no muscle tone and a belly. 

It’s hard for me to reconcile Beane’s comments about Gabe working so hard and that physique.

I know Gabe has that reputation as a hard worker, we saw when he got drafted he was running routes 20 minutes after he got picked.

I just don’t understand how a #2 NFL WR with 90+ targets can function at peak with that body.

6D31FA3F-1B77-41F1-BB00-62EB8F6698D4.jpeg

The Machine tho….

• Haha (+1) 1

Another bunch of interviews where McDermott and Beane act like none of us us have a TV. I swear, especially McDermott, just always trying to give the most canned answers he can to everything just gives these non-sensical answers. 

- Gabe got off to a slower start (Rams, Pittsburgh, Chiefs were among Gabe's best games) but then later said Year 3 is the biggest jump.

- Talked about how much faith they have in Shakir (10 catches in 2022)

- Talked about how RAC is really important to them (Bills dead last in 2022)

- Talked about how people had "unrealistic" expectations for Gabe. (Yes its the fans and media's fault for pointing out that Gabe has a limited skill set and that the last serious offensive investment you've made around Josh was Diggs 3 years ago now). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Another bunch of interviews where McDermott and Beane act like none of us us have a TV. I swear, especially McDermott, just always trying to give the most canned answers he can to everything just gives these non-sensical answers. 

- Gabe got off to a slower start (Rams, Pittsburgh, Chiefs were among Gabe's best games) but then later said Year 3 is the biggest jump.

- Talked about how much faith they have in Shakir (10 catches in 2022)

- Talked about how RAC is really important to them (Bills dead last in 2022)

- Talked about how people had "unrealistic" expectations for Gabe. (Yes its the fans and media's fault for pointing out that Gabe has a limited skill set and that the last serious offensive investment you've made around Josh was Diggs 3 years ago now). 

Lol, it really is some gas lighting. 

i really hope this is just soft corch speak and kayfabe to obscure what they are really gonna do.  we need two additions at WR/TE, Two new OL, and something at safety and DT.  I expect hynes to walk and us to get an RB as well, but it just has to be a warm body condidering 6mm a year hynes got like 12 touches.

better protection will help us run and pass, and most importantly stop the total write off blow up plays that we have way too often due to protection breakdowns.  throw in two additional actual NFL targets and i legit don't think there is a d in the nfl that can contain allen in a balanced d that doesn't get blown of the ball regularly.

2 minutes ago, colin said:

Lol, it really is some gas lighting. 

i really hope this is just soft corch speak and kayfabe to obscure what they are really gonna do.  we need two additions at WR/TE, Two new OL, and something at safety and DT.  I expect hynes to walk and us to get an RB as well, but it just has to be a warm body condidering 6mm a year hynes got like 12 touches.

better protection will help us run and pass, and most importantly stop the total write off blow up plays that we have way too often due to protection breakdowns.  throw in two additional actual NFL targets and i legit don't think there is a d in the nfl that can contain allen in a balanced d that doesn't get blown of the ball regularly.

It will be interesting to see how the Bills divvy up 6 draft picks. 

Do they trade back in Round 1? 

Mike Ginnitti of Spotrac said he anticipates the Bills ending up with $20M-$25M in cap space after restructures, and he is anticipating Tremaine Edmunds ($16M) and Jordan Poyer ($11M) both walking because of cost. 

So, they might be more active in FA than originally anticipated, and at minimum, Crowder and Kumerow are free agents, so you'd think they would try and get one WR FA. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.