Super Bowl ticket prices nosedive

Albany,n.y.

Not that it matters to us now, but the cheapest Super Bowl tickets have dropped $2,000 since Monday.  They started around $6,000, went up to $6.500 a few days ago & tonight at 12:03 AM they're at $3,600.  This is from NFL On Location, fees included.  StubHub is seeing the same price drops. They're a little higher than On Location, but have dropped 2 grand too.  

• Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Maybe it’s because, I’m just surmising, that Chiefs and Eagle fans don’t travel like other teams fans do.

More likely that most people don't want to pay $6500 for a crappy seat, and get gouged at hotel rooms, restaurants, golf courses.... I live in AZ, the pricing at some of these places this week is outrageous. The Phoenix Open is also going on this week so it's really nuts right now. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, wppete said:

$6500 is insane price. Only an idiot would pay that. Facts. Remember that when watching the game on tv in the comfort of your home, all those people you see in the stance are idiots. 

As an added bonus when you are home you can ignore the POS halftime show. At the stadium you have to suffer through it.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Not that it matters to us now, but the cheapest Super Bowl tickets have dropped $2,000 since Monday.  They started around $6,000, went up to $6.500 a few days ago & tonight at 12:03 AM they're at $3,600.  This is from NFL On Location, fees included.  StubHub is seeing the same price drops. They're a little higher than On Location, but have dropped 2 grand too.  

There is no real interest in the game. No great underdog story,  no one you truly want to cheer against. Add into the fact the Chiefs and Eagles both have won rather e entry and it seems even their fan bases don’t care that much.. law of supply and demand.

• Like (+1) 7

24 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

There is no real interest in the game. No great underdog story,  no one you truly want to cheer against. Add into the fact the Chiefs and Eagles both have won rather e entry and it seems even their fan bases don’t care that much.. law of supply and demand.

Actually, I want to cheer against both of these teams. Both fan bases are arrogant & obnoxious & unbearable. LOL The lesser of 2 evils, I think, are the Chiefs, so I hope they win it. 😉

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

In this economy people aren’t going to pay those ticket prices just for a football game much less the other expenses a trip to Phoenix is going to cost. You're talking a family of 4…with all the other amenities probably paying 20,000 dollars minimum.

You can 10 of that and goto Hawaii for the week and your kids and wife will be happier anyway. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, 78thealltimegreat said:

In this economy people aren’t going to pay those ticket prices just for a football game much less the other expenses a trip to Phoenix is going to cost. You're talking a family of 4…with all the other amenities probably paying 20,000 dollars minimum.

You can 10 of that and goto Hawaii for the week and your kids and wife will be happier anyway. 

Having a superbowl party in your own home with friends and family and a bunch of good food is just way better than being crammed in a loud stadium with thousands of strangers.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

And we won,  what,  2 of those?

I think so, yes....though I drank a lot back then

3 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I wouldn't pay that price in any economy 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Not Super Bowl related but your post also hits home with the Bills new stadium. They know 60,000 is probably a good number for the WNY market. Raised ticket prices and PSL fees will have many Bills fans watching the games from home instead of the stadium.

5 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

People are paying a lot to go.  Hotels are booked,  golf courses are booked... the economy is just fine out here. 

I work at a very high end golf course,  we are charging an awful lot this week and we are booked solid. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wppete said:

$6500 is insane price. Only an idiot would pay that. Facts. Remember that when watching the game on tv in the comfort of your home, all those people you see in the stance are idiots. 

The Super Bowl is largely a corporate event, but market forces still apply. My wife was supposed to attend and schmooze with clients, but she did everything she could to find a replacement and got out of it. It was just cross country travel and working all weekend as far as she was concerned. If you’ve been to one SB (which we have), there is no great desire to attend another, at least for us. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

The SB has morphed into a show for the rich and corporations. It is a whose who event and regular fans are left in the dust because of it. I would love to see each team get 5000 tickets and they are lotteried to season ticket price for season ticket holders but that is never happening.

My biggest thought on SB tix to see a favorite team is it being a boom or bust gamble.

Seeing it live would be a soul changing experience.

Seeing a loss live would have me spending $10k to enter into grieving. On top of that im stuck feeling that way around 70k people for hours leaving, when i want to be alone...

Dramatic, i know, but its true. 

Compare that to 10k vacation: "higher floor, lower ceiling".

Most ppl cant afford to do a trip like that ever, but maybe once every 5-10yrs for some. Im going with the sure thing vaca everytime.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Bob Jones said:

Actually, I want to cheer against both of these teams. Both fan bases are arrogant & obnoxious & unbearable. LOL The lesser of 2 evils, I think, are the Chiefs, so I hope they win it. 😉

True. Weird that given how much the NFL and TV networks push the Chiefs on us, they just don’t seem to have gathered a big national fan base like the Steelers, Packers, and of course Cowboys. And the Eagles have always been kind of an eastern PA/south NJ market, cut off by Steelers dominance to the west and NYG to the north. Maybe I’m wrong but I feel like the Bills have been gathering a real, sustainable nationwide following, one that I hope lasts longer than the 1990s version 

This is the Chiefs 3rd Super Bowl in 4 years.  Eagles 2nd in 6.

CFP ran into this with Clemson and Alabama constantly going to the Playoffs/Championship and the game being all the way out in San Francisco.

Also, KC is a rabid fanbase, but they don't seem to have national pull.  I don't see them taking over stadiums like some of the other notable fanbases. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Maybe I’m wrong but I feel like the Bills have been gathering a real, sustainable nationwide following, one that I hope lasts longer than the 1990s version 

Why is it important that the Bills have a “big national fanbase”?

Edited by LabattBlue

19 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

For the 1990 title game, I bought a state of the art, 27" Sony Trinitron

I hope you burned the Betamax of that game long before you put the Trinitron on the street corner. 

Just now, LabattBlue said:

Why is it important that the Bills have a “big national fanbase”?

Because it’s fun to finally be the new Packers or Steelers?

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:
8 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Because it’s fun to finally be the new Packers or Steelers?

As long as we don't become the Cowboys or Raiders where folks from all over become fans simply because it's a niche.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

Isn't that pretty much all fan bases?  We love our team and think everyone else and their teams suck?!!  

As for ticket prices, absolutely ridiculous.  Pretty bland matchup.  Both teams have played well and deserved to be there.  But Philly is as boring a team as it gets player wise.  And everyone knows Mahomes and Kelce.  But they don't really move the meter beyond being football players.  The NFL is the ultimate team game.  Its the best sport, with college football.  But its not predicated on star power.  I would argue Josh Allen is the biggest star in the game.  Bam.  

I remember the Bills-Giants super bowl in 1991.  Me and two buddies drove down from Atlanta to Tampa for the game.  Paid $600 each for tickets.  Seemed pretty expensive at the time.  Called a ticket broker from an ad in USA Today.  LOL.  How things have changed.  

4 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I remember the Bills-Giants super bowl in 1991.  Me and two buddies drove down from Atlanta to Tampa for the game.  Paid $600 each for tickets.

Inflation has slightly more than doubled the cost of an item in those 32 years. So 600 bucks is now $1289. 
I’m not going, but if I were I’d wait a couple more days for those $1289 cheap seats!

3 hours ago, klos63 said:

More likely that most people don't want to pay $6500 for a crappy seat, and get gouged at hotel rooms, restaurants, golf courses.... I live in AZ, the pricing at some of these places this week is outrageous. The Phoenix Open is also going on this week so it's really nuts right now. 

Why wouldn't those factors be prevalent every year though?

There's something going on that is unique to this year, obviously.

Maybe people think it will be a bad matchup, or they don't like the location of the game, or...

One if the main reasons that the price is dropping is the fact that the Waste Management golf tournament is also going on this weekend and they will draw close to 175k per day . And that has drove up the hotel and car rental prices. So when you figure out the total cost for traveling to Phoenix this weekend it is just crazy.

4 minutes ago, Liberal Bob said:

One if the main reasons that the price is dropping is the fact that the Waste Management golf tournament is also going on this weekend and they will draw close to 175k per day . And that has drove up the hotel and car rental prices. So when you figure out the total cost for traveling to Phoenix this weekend it is just crazy.

If you are willing to spend north of $5k for a game ticket, I doubt inflated hotel, car rental or airfare prices are going to stop you from attending. 

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Why wouldn't those factors be prevalent every year though?

There's something going on that is unique to this year, obviously.

Maybe people think it will be a bad matchup, or they don't like the location of the game, or...

Are you sure it doesn't happen every year.  I don't know. 

But prices usually go down as an event approaches.

By today, most people have already decided on going or not. 

13 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Maybe it’s because, I’m just surmising, that Chiefs and Eagle fans don’t travel like other teams fans do.

I don't think that's a reason.

4 hours ago, klos63 said:

People have done it before... that's not the reason IMO.

4 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Plenty of good story lines. That's not the reason IMO.

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

This is the Chiefs 3rd Super Bowl in 4 years.  Eagles 2nd in 6.

CFP ran into this with Clemson and Alabama constantly going to the Playoffs/Championship and the game being all the way out in San Francisco.

Also, KC is a rabid fanbase, but they don't seem to have national pull.  I don't see them taking over stadiums like some of the other notable fanbases. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is the reason.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.