How many Josh Allen prime years do they want to waste?

LabattBlue

I'm not pissed if I'm Allen.  Maybe disappointed, but the man has 250 million reasons to not be pissed.  He's not the coach, he doesn't make the decisions on drafting or personnel. He's doing his best, putting it all on the line, with the little support he has. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I don’t think McD or Beane are going anywhere anytime soon. However…I do believe pegula needs to step

in and insist that more is put into the offense. That means premium resources and not dumpster diving while they invest a ton into a DL rotation. They stumbled onto Allen and it’s absurd if they have any plans of adding to the DL this off-season. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Bruffalo said:

I'm not pissed if I'm Allen.  Maybe disappointed, but the man has 250 million reasons to not be pissed.  He's not the coach, he doesn't make the decisions on drafting or personnel. He's doing his best, putting it all on the line, with the little support he has. 

Great, our own Aaron Rogers

• Thank you (+1) 1

Weird question...I don't think they want to waste anything.  Like, I don't believe they are actively trying to waste Josh Allen's prime years.  I think coaching is just wrapped up into a way of thinking that's outdated, and talent level also has a lot to do with it.

If JA plays for the Bills for another 10 years and the Bills only win one SB, I'd be happy with that.

5 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Allen’s prime years are limited(especially based on his style of play).  How many years does Terry want to waste on McD and BB, before that window closes?

If I’m Allen, I am pissed off today, and would ask for a one on one meeting with Pegula. 

I get it that none of us are professional talent evaluators for NFL players, and all that, but what is the philosophical basis for ignoring the OL the last 3 years?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

Looks like all of them. But dont worry. We will draft all Defensive players and go dumpster diving for oline. 

Yep.  So according to spotrac, we were top 5 in cap spending on the D whether it was active or full roster.  On Offense, we were between 16th and 21st in cap spending on Offense depending on active vs full roster.  And that’s not even weighting for all the high draft picks on the defensive side of ball still on their rookie deals.  Insane to throw all your resources on the defensive side of the ball especially for a bend but don’t break defense.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

Yep.  So according to spotrac, we were top 5 in cap spending on the D whether it was active or full roster.  On Offense, we were between 16th and 21st in cap spending on Offense depending on active vs full roster.  And that’s not even weighting for all the high draft picks on the defensive side of ball still on their rookie deals.  Insane to throw all your resources on the defensive side of the ball especially for a bend but don’t break defense.  

The frazier special, 3rd and 4? Corners need to be 10 yards off the line. Its a joke already that I am over. 

• Agree 1

Josh is part of this too.  Granted, yesterday was more of a display of futility from the FO and coaching staff, but he has to clean up his game significantly.  He's now 1B status behind PM and JB.  Still amazing from we've been exposed to.  Best comparison I saw last night was to Favre of the 90s.  I'm assuming he's being coached up to take what the defense is giving him, but you can't consistently look 20+ yards down the field on 3rd and short, or cough the ball up deep in your own zone routinely.  In the previous two years I had confidence he'd do the right thing, make the right call.  But this year, from the first Miami game on, I often felt like he was on the verge of something spectacular, or, mind boggling.  I'm confident that he'll get himself straightened out, as it doesn't seem to have diva in him at this time.  But, they're not doing him no favors with their OL talent assessment. 

Edited by YodaMan79

16 minutes ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

The frazier special, 3rd and 4? Corners need to be 10 yards off the line. Its a joke already that I am over. 

Again, I am clearly a world class idiot, but i simply cant make the math work where that alignment makes sense.  Soft zone.  Even the name is cringe.  Every other team in the league finds CBs that can jam WRs then play man.  Do we keep drafting wrong, or is something else at work?

42 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Allen’s prime years are limited(especially based on his style of play).  How many years does Terry want to waste on McD and BB, before that window closes?

If I’m Allen, I am pissed off today, and would ask for a one on one meeting with Pegula. 

We’re at three, and counting.  And going backwards.  I think the McDermott regime  is about out of chances.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Well that says more about you than Josh Allen.

Some pro athletes absolutely are only about themselves and the cash!  Others actively take pay cuts and move teams/cities to be AWAY from their families for the chance to win a championship because they take pride in what they do, and their legacy.

It's unfair of you to assume Josh doesn't give a crap about football, and just wants the cash.

In Buffalo, we just saw a player with all the cash demanding that chat with Pegula, so to speak.

Jack Eichel....being lousy and making a lot of money wasn't good enough for him.

I bet Josh is pissed off too.

We need a MUCH MORE COMPETENT offensive coordinator, with a LOT OF EXPERIENCE.  Josh Allen knows this.

Did any interesting names get fired this year?

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

We’re at three, and counting.  And going backwards.  I think the McDermott regime  is about out of chances.

In all seriousness, I do agree with your comment about going backwards.

We are more likely to be WORSE next year than BETTER, depending on how sweeping the changes are, and how effective they are. Beane has a lot of work to do this off-season, and the team needs to be fairly seriously tweaked for next season.

At least it will give us an interesting off-season to follow, I guess.

Would have rather won the game yesterday.

24 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Again, I am clearly a world class idiot, but i simply cant make the math work where that alignment makes sense.  Soft zone.  Even the name is cringe.  Every other team in the league finds CBs that can jam WRs then play man.  Do we keep drafting wrong, or is something else at work?

Its coaching, plain and simple.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I don’t think McD or Beane are going anywhere anytime soon. However…I do believe pegula needs to step

in and insist that more is put into the offense. That means premium resources and not dumpster diving while they invest a ton into a DL rotation. They stumbled onto Allen and it’s absurd if they have any plans of adding to the DL this off-season. 

Sadly however, it's glaringly apparent that it remains an area of extreme need! Without the ability to affect other good QB's such as Burrow and Pat, Josh will continue to have to do too much. That said, hopefully Von coming back and staying healthy for the year, would go a long way as a band aid while we reload on O? 

48 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Agreed. I see a fairly lean year or two coming. They’ll still be a winning team if Allen is there and healthy, but the cap issues will really be a problem. 
My number 1 priority: protect the prize asset, Allen. Sacrifice on defense (something’s got to give) but you have to protect and prolong the good years of the only guy who will still be there when the window of opportunity flings open again. That means offensive line + a real running game. And if there’s a real talent at WR that you can afford, add that next. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Sadly however, it's glaringly apparent that it remains an area of extreme need! Without the ability to affect other good QB's such as Burrow and Pat, Josh will continue to have to do too much. That said, hopefully Von coming back and staying healthy for the year, would go a long way as a band aid while we reload on O? 

Considering that we missed Daquan Jones more than anyone else yesterday, I have to disagree somewhat. We have pieces. Jones was a late round draft pick and a FA addition last year and played his butt off. He would have been a major factor yesterday. The point is…we don’t need to keep investing premium resources into the d. We can go dumpster diving there as much as we have with the o. Bring in a new DC with a more aggressive philosophy and get the most out of the players that we have on that side of the ball. 

• Agree 1

I think most of our problems is a common denominator...  coaching/coordinators

Our O scheme.. We do 2 things routinely and it has worked but its been figured out. You either send our receivers on outs , or you send them long on pass plays so the middle of the field is open for Allen scrambles... We haven't seen much of that at the end of the year because teams have figured how to negate that. A lot of us wanted to see the underneath stuff more often. Quick slants and crossing patterns, screens that work etc... but it was never schemed in. I don't see Dorsey flicking a switch and creating a more robust scheme. He basically took notes from Daboll and kept running the same concepts. All of this is magnified by our purtrid OL.

Our D is bend don't break, which requires the D to make big time plays. If they do not make big plays then we get long days.... We did have lots injuries, but we invested heavily in the DL with little to show for big plays once Miller went down.

14 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Considering that we missed Daquan Jones more than anyone else yesterday, I have to disagree somewhat. We have pieces. Jones was a late round draft pick and a FA addition last year and played his butt off. He would have been a major factor yesterday. The point is…we don’t need to keep investing premium resources into the d. We can go dumpster diving there as much as we have with the o. Bring in a new DC with a more aggressive philosophy and get the most out of the players that we have on that side of the ball. 

Agreed--Daquan being out yesterday was a killer against their run game. Also practically neutralized Ed. No argument about bringing in a new DC--I'm over the soft to a fault zone that we play, regular season stats notwithstanding. 

10 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Agreed--Daquan being out yesterday was a killer against their run game. Also practically neutralized Ed. No argument about bringing in a new DC--I'm over the soft to a fault zone that we play, regular season stats notwithstanding. 

Funny you bring up Oliver. It’s pathetic he’s our last top 10 pick and is completely taken out of games. I’d be ok with trading him for picks. 

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Funny you bring up Oliver. It’s pathetic he’s our last top 10 pick and is completely taken out of games. I’d be ok with trading him for picks. 

Package him with Boogie--it made my stomach churn to see him dancing over "sacking" Burrow on a play where the only reason he got home was he himself had jumped Offside--and the flag had already been thrown to boot. Needless to say, no other sacks were forthcoming from there. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Package him with Boogie--it made my stomach churn to see him dancing over "sacking" Burrow on a play where the only reason he got home was he himself had jumped Offside--and the flag had already been thrown to boot. Needless to say, no other sacks were forthcoming from there. 

Haha…same here!  That was horrible. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

My dad (the ultimate old man Bills fan since their first season) noticed that. “Hey that guy jumping around after sacking Burrow … isn’t that rhe same guy that jumped offside?” Yep. Same guy. Celebrating his bad play. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don't think they "want to" but if it's this coaching staff, they will waste them all. A coaching staff that is so stubborn that they can't look around the league and see how other teams have attacked and neutralized certain team and players. They stick to the same crap week in and week out. No real Oline help outside of scrapes and castoffs to protect out best and most valuable player. 

• Agree 1

I said it last year after our KC meltdown and I'll say it again.  As a Buffalo comparison, Allen reminds me of Dominik Hasek.  A really unique, superb, special player.  But even he won't be able to overcome how difficult it is to win a Championship for Buffalo.  Once Allen moves on to his home state San Francisco 49ers in 2027 or beyond, he will win his Super Bowl, much like Hasek finally won when he moved on to Detroit...teams with Championship legacy.  

Sorry to be a downer, it is what it is.  

• Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

Doesn't have 250 m reasons yet.. doesn't kick in till 2023 .. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.