Chargers @ Jaguars Playoff Game Thread (i.e. NOT a Bills thread;-)

Simon

1 minute ago, JGMcD2 said:

Bro he played at Clemson with some of the best coaching in the entire world. He played with hundreds of thousands of fans watching on some of the biggest stages ever. Give me a break with your ball washing. 

He’s a great QB… my point wasn’t that he was bad. It’s the fact that a 4 pick first half would have people screaming Josh is reckless regardless of if he mounted a comeback. He’s had to scratch and claw to get the respect and Lawrence digs himself a huge hole, works out of it (impressive for sure!) but that alone puts him in the same tier as Mahomes? 

***** stupid. 

Exactly. There is no way in hell Josh would get credit for coming back from a whole he himself dug. A lot of credit to the Jags defense not letting Herbert score more than 3 though.

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

I wonder how your tiers looked after Trevor threw his 4th pick?  😂

I don't like Lawrence... but in the AFC he is a top 5 QB rn, I pushed Herbert down more than I moved Lawrence up. I think the top 3 are debatable. I think the 4-6 is also debatable. You then get into the Tua, Carr, Watson, Wilson? range. Jesus the AFC is loaded. Like if you only count the players you know are coming back 100% (so no Brady or Rodgers) the 2nd bet QB in the NFC is? Dak? Cousins? Purdy? Like my God what a difference

16 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

Staley had some good calls last year going for it on 4th down. I think Herbert isn't as good as advertised. He has a bunch of elite weapons around him: Allen, Williams and Ekeler and yet whenever I've watched him I've never seen him make a lot of WOW plays. He seems to be a poor man's Josh Allen

Staley is a dufus . Many of his 'analytic calls' blew up in his face last year costing his team games. Against the Raiders in OT all he had to do was take the 'gentleman's agreement' to end the game in a tie, and both the Chargers and Raiders would have gone to the playoffs. Nope, he had to go for the win and the Raiders made him pay for it. Raiders in the playoffs and Chargers at home.

Now add this debacle.

Staley is completely situational unaware and a total dufus as a HC.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JGMcD2 said:

Bro he played at Clemson with some of the best coaching in the entire world. He played with hundreds of thousands of fans watching on some of the biggest stages ever. Give me a break with your ball washing. 

He’s a great QB… my point wasn’t that he was bad. It’s the fact that a 4 pick first half would have people screaming Josh is reckless regardless of if he mounted a comeback. He’s had to scratch and claw to get the respect and Lawrence digs himself a huge hole, works out of it (impressive for sure!) but that alone puts him in the same tier as Mahomes? 

***** stupid. 

Ummm he was on the Jags last year and had that fiasco with Urban Meyers…. That’s what I was talking about with bad coaching.. what has Clemson got to do with the NFL? 

Again Josh Allen is in year 5 he is a vet he, himself would say he was reckless if he did that.  He has seen a lot more pro D than Lawrence. That’s not Apples to apples comparison..  

I wasn’t putting him on Mahomes tier, he is the best followed by Allen and Burrows then a very large space before the next QB.. 

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

We knew they’d likely get the LAC/ JAX winner: no surprise there. It’s very possible the Bills would have been looking at CIN on the road if the BUF/ CIN had been made up. Would that have been preferable? The Chiefs did win their games so it’s hard to say they didn’t earn it. I’d love for the Bills to have gotten the #1 , but they didn’t make up the game and weren’t going too regardless of the consequences. If they were ok with that then so am I. 

Yes what happened, happened, but that doesn't mean we can't comment on the gift of "beat the jags to get to the AFCCG once again" the Chiefs were gifted with. 

I am sure Mahomes and company will be showered with praise for getting them there too for a 5th straight year.

Just now, AlfaBill said:

Why is Mahomes alone at 1? You really think he’s better than Josh?

Mahomes has a hall of fame TE and had a HoF caliber WR for his first 4 seasons as a starter, HoF coach.

The dude has yet to play a road playoff game. He’s accurate but has been in an inept AFC division that Brady benefited from 2001-2019.

Mahomes is overrated and has choked in big moments (Brady 2018, SB 2019 - 2 picks, SB 2020 - ourscored 31-9, AFCC 2021 threw stupid pick in OT). Choke artist and fraud.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, RocCityRoller said:

Staley is a dufus . Many of his 'analytic calls' blew up in his face last year costing his team games. Against the Raiders in OT all he had to do was take the 'gentleman's agreement' to end the game in a tie, and both the Chargers and Raiders would have gone to the playoffs. Nope, he had to go for the win and the Raiders made him pay for it. Raiders in the playoffs and Chargers at home.

Now add this debacle.

Staley is completely situational unaware and a total dufus as a HC.

Oh I completely agree. He just gambled earlier in the season on some 4th downs that were made (I think it's what led the Chargers to winning against the Chiefs). He is completely unaware outside of that especially considering he's a "Defensive" coach

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PatsFanNH said:

Ummm he was on the Jags last year and had that fiasco with Urban Meyers…. That’s what I was talking about with bad coaching.. what has Clemson got to do with the NFL? 

Again Josh Allen is in year 5 he is a vet he, himself would say he was reckless if he did that.  He has seen a lot more pro D than Lawrence. That’s not Apples to apples comparison..  

I wasn’t putting him on Mahomes tier, he is the best followed by Allen and Burrows then a very large space before the next QB.. 

oh my Lord. 

This all started because you responded to my post… that was in response to another post that said “Lawrence was in THAT conversation.” Meaning Allen/Mahomes/Burrow. 🤦🏻

Just now, Dr.Sack said:

Mahomes has a hall of fame TE and had a HoF caliber WR for his first 4 seasons as a starter, HoF coach.

The dude has yet to play a road playoff game. He’s accurate but has been in an inept AFC division that Brady benefited from 2001-2019.

Mahomes is overrated and has choked in big moments (Brady 2018, SB 2019 - 2 picks, SB 2020 - ourscored 31-9, AFCC 2021 threw stupid pick in OT). Choke artist and fraud.

He is the MVP this year (1st team All-Pro) and did it with only Kelce and a bunch of scrub WRs. Bills have yet to beat him in the playoffs

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

I don't like Lawrence... but in the AFC he is a top 5 QB rn, I pushed Herbert down more than I moved Lawrence up. I think the top 3 are debatable. I think the 4-6 is also debatable. You then get into the Tua, Carr, Watson, Wilson? range. Jesus the AFC is loaded. Like if you only count the players you know are coming back 100% (so no Brady or Rodgers) the 2nd bet QB in the NFC is? Dak? Cousins? Purdy? Like my God what a difference

It's really weird that it turned out this way - the conferences are extremely lopsided in terms of talent at the QB position.

It is, as they say, what it is.  Allen will be battling all of these guys for the next decade just for the right to GET to a Super Bowl.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Georgia Bill said:

The good thing is the Jags learned they CAN come from behind down 27 and still win in the playoffs.  If nothing else it might help them keep fighting hard and believing they can win no matter how much they get behind with the Chiefs.

Yes, I remember thinking the same thing at halftime of SB XXVII. 

They asked Jimmy Johnson about it and he said, “We’re not Houston.”

Much as I hate to say it, KC isn’t the Chargers. 

Just now, JGMcD2 said:

oh my Lord. 

This all started because you responded to my post… that was in response to another post that said “Lawrence was in THAT conversation.” Meaning Allen/Mahomes/Burrow. 🤦🏻

He will be in that conversation in a year or two.. especially if they get him a stud WR. His talent is there it’s obvious.. the comment you just responded to was saying I was shocked he wasn’t ruined by bad coaching and you bring up Clemson!   

FYI this is the year for your Bills… everything lining up right for them.. 

Just now, dma0034 said:

Oh I completely agree. He just gambled earlier in the season on some 4th downs that were made (I think it's what led the Chargers to winning against the Chiefs). He is completely unaware outside of that especially considering he's a "Defensive" coach

Fair enough. I just recall a lot of very bad 'analytic' decisions last year. The Chargers lost 2-3 games on those last year alone. Then the Raider disaster.

This year was a lot better in those situations. But he just has 0 knack for understanding the flow of the game.

Pederson is the polar opposite.

It took McDermott a while to get more aggressive. Staley needed to learn to be less aggressive. Staley would benefit from being a DC for a while then trying again. The Chargers are loaded with talent, but they underperform. That points to coaching IMO.

3 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Yes what happened, happened, but that doesn't mean we can't comment on the gift of "beat the jags to get to the AFCCG once again" the Chiefs were gifted with. 

I am sure Mahomes and company will be showered with praise for getting them there too for a 5th straight year.

I’m just not seeing how it can be considered a gift. I hate the Chiefs, but the record is what it is. As for praise, yeah it’ll be excessive. Just have to tune it out 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

I’m just not seeing how it can be considered a gift. I hate the Chiefs, but the record is what it is. As for praise, yeah it’ll be excessive. Just have to tune it out 

Its a gift to the Chiefs that the Bills did not have the opportunity to prove that they could be 14-3 too with a tie breaker win against the chiefs. Just like it is a gift to us that the Bengals did not have the opportunity to prove that they could get another win and have the 13-4 tie breaker over us to get the 2 seed. Ours is a little more egregious because not having to play a whole freaking game and getting a guaranteed ticket to the divisional is pretty big but at least we get to play the banged up dolphins. 

Either way its a gift to guarantee a trip to the AFCCG with a win over the Jags even if they legit won the 1st seed. They need to get rid of the bye week altogether. Hopefully when there is 18 game season and 8 playoff teams.

All I know is people gave Allen so much ***** in a similar situation back in that Texans playoff game with the lateral to  Knox, however I’d a million times want to have a QB that goes down like that firing everything he’s got, rather than Herbert causally jogging off the field after each drive he blew.

Edited by BillsGuyOutWest
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

I think Lawrence is officially above Herbert.  

If you were starting a team - here’s how I would rank the AFC QBs

Allen 

Mahomes 
Burrow

Lawrence 

Herbert 

Lamar

Whoever the Texans pick 

Tanny

Pickett

Watson 

Tua

Watson will likely move up several spots once he knocks the rust off. Regardless of anything else, the dude is a supreme talent on the field.

• Agree 1

Just now, AlfaBill said:

So that means Mahomes is the better QB?

Almost everyone says Brady is the GOAT because of all the winning he has done. Mahomes has led his team to host the AFC Championship game every year he's played (this would be the one exception if the Bills get there) and has lost a total of 3 playoff games (2 of them in OT with Mahomes not touching the ball). I will consider dhim the best QB in the AFC until Allen or Burrow wins a SB (or at least a MVP). 

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Burrow was a game manager for their entire run in the post-season last year and has significantly more talent around him than most in the league. 

Allen/Mahomes

Burrow

Lawrence

Herbert/Lamar

Been saying this for weeks. The fg kicker was their MVP in the playoffs. In 4 games he was 14/14 on fg attempts and 6/6 on extra points. 14 fgs and still making the Super Bowl is hard to do. They only scored 7 tds in their 4 playoff games. Burrow was far from special last year in the playoffs. It was way more the special teams & defensive play that got them there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

He will be in that conversation in a year or two.. especially if they get him a stud WR. His talent is there it’s obvious.. the comment you just responded to was saying I was shocked he wasn’t ruined by bad coaching and you bring up Clemson!   

FYI this is the year for your Bills… everything lining up right for them.. 

Ok… but my very first post you responded to was in response to someone saying Lawrence was in “THAT conversation” right now. 

Yeah, it was a relevant point. A couple weeks of Urban Meyer isn’t going to undo all of the top notch coaching he had received up to that point. It’s not how that works. He was exposed to an environment that was as close to professional football as you can get for his 3 college seasons. He played in enormous games with a tremendous amount of pressure and spotlight for years. 

3 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

Almost everyone says Brady is the GOAT because of all the winning he has done. Mahomes has led his team to host the AFC Championship game every year he's played (this would be the one exception if the Bills get there) and has lost a total of 3 playoff games (2 of them in OT with Mahomes not touching the ball). I will consider dhim the best QB in the AFC until Allen or Burrow wins a SB (or at least a MVP). 

He’s the goat because he won 7 SBs. 

Just now, Big Turk said:

How the hell do the Chargers win the TO battle 5-0, take a 27-0 lead and still lose??

That's almost impossible!

If I saw the graphic right - w/ 3 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter, the Jags had a 1.2% chance of winning.

• Like (+1) 1

• Simon unpinned this topic
2 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

He’s the goat because he won 7 SBs. 

Well Mahomes in 4 season has won the AFC twice and lost in OT twice with all four games at home. Until that is broken I don't see how you can say he isn't the best rn. It's not like he has an elite defense either or an elite running game. It's all on Mahomes.

So no team in the AFC has played 60 minutes and come out with a lead in the playoffs. That's exceptionally impressive.

Edited by dma0034

6 minutes ago, BillsGuyOutWest said:

All I know is people gave Allen so much ***** in a similar situation back in that Texans playoff game with the lateral to  Knox, however I’d a million times want to have a QB that goes down like that firing everything he’s got, rather than Herbert causally jogging off the field after each drive he blew.

That’s because Josh was supposed to be a bust and we all know how that turned out. 

Just now, dma0034 said:

Well Mahomes in 4 season has won the AFC twice and lost in OT twice with all four games at home. Until that is broken I don't see how you can say he isn't the best rn. It's not like he has an elite defense either or an elite running game. It's all on Mahomes.

Gimme a break. Last year he had Hill and Kelce. They have a solid running game and excellent coaching. He is one of the best and I would NOT trade Josh for him. 

• Agree 1

Just now, dma0034 said:

Yeah, nothing to do at all with the best offensive coach in football. His first ballot Hall of Fame TE. That Cheetah guy he had during that stretch. 

2 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

Gimme a break. Last year he had Hill and Kelce. They have a solid running game and excellent coaching. He is one of the best and I would NOT trade Josh for him. 

Well that's not true. They do have a better OLine. See you are arguing talent and I'm arguing with achievements. Without the accomplishments I personally will not put Allen above Mahomes even if Allen is probably the more physically gifted player. 

• Eyeroll 1

28 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Definitely not in their class yet! But his progress is amazing and surprising! I thought they ruined him after last season, glad to see I was wrong. 

Sorry if I sounded harsh but so many people get upset lately just saying someone looks good. I was impressed and shocked by his second half!

Nope all good buddy! Fair points on your end

4 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Yeah, nothing to do at all with the best offensive coach in football. His first ballot Hall of Fame TE. That Cheetah guy he had during that stretch. 

I mean if you want to mention his weapons but ignore the Bills have had a top defense the last 3 years and an All-Pro WR themselves so be it.

Also he didn't have Hill this year. So he has Kelce and Allen has Diggs. Hardly an unfair advantage one way or another.

Edited by dma0034

27 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Thanks! This proves the kids mental toughness! Nothing more.  Lawrence by all rights is in a rookie year after having such terrible coaching last year set him back. Kid is only going to get better and smarter.. hopefully they get him O line help as he was under duress most of the first half 

I'm Over this thing of having QBs actual rookie years written off for Reasons.  "He didn't play!" "He had terrible coaching!"  You're on an NFL roster, it counts as your rookie year whether you sat on the bench eating kumquats or had a bad coach or played behind a total sieve of an OL and threw to guys who shoulda been bagging groceries

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.