Bills Culture Skyrocketing - FA Boost

Locomark

The events of this week have enhanced and reinforced our solid reputation with players and agents around the league about the quality of the Bills organization and our family atmosphere. It also emphasized player health and our staff and ownership commitment to such.  Add this to our Super Bowl window and we should be able to score even more bargain FAs in coming years. 

The only way we could screw up this good will is if we somehow botch the Poyer situation at year end. 

My screen name was created many years ago when the Bills were driving me crazy due to their front office ineptitude. They are certainly a standard bearer for this league now. I have extreme gratitude that the only thing I am crazy now about is for winning. 

Edited by Locomark
  • Like (+1) 3

What do you mean botch Poyer? He's 31 soon to be 32 year player coming off an injury riddled year seeking a massive payday. 

Hard to commit big dollars to an old injured player. 

Sorry but 32 is ancient in the NFL especially for a defensive back where foot speed is paramount. 

Hard to pay big money for two safties given all the other paydays in the roster.  Our secondary is soaking up a massive amount of payroll with Allen's extension kicking in next year and his cap number balloons to $40MM... fans aren't used to carrying that large of a contract but it means you can't sign everyone like when we never had a QB deal on the books like that. Diggs jumps to $20MM next year, plus Von Miller, etc.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2

I agree Buffalo is now a destination for FA especially after this week & the Bills showing how much they care about their players . The Poyer situation could be bad if the Bills would make him a terrible deal but given his injuries this season & his availability i think it will impact what he will want in his contract so i think he could be gone anyway .

Unless of course he has any loyalty to the Bills for how they have worked with brining his career along to this point but that being said it could be much easier to replace him if he does think the offer he gets from Beane isn't up to his expectations .

I hope he does come back so him & Hyde can finish up here together but it is the new NFL where money is the driving factor & if another team comes up with a wheel barrel load of money we may see another player in his place .

34 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I felt the same way a few days ago but it seems the tide may be equaling out a bit. Seeing some negative articles now about how the Bills didn’t play Cinci on Wednesday or whatever.

Lol, I assure you the players don’t give 2 s**ts about those articles by people trying to get clicks and reads.  

The biggest issue is we won’t have cap space to bring many people to Buffalo despite a lot of players may want to come here.  Von Miller contract coupled with Allens deal kicking in already and guys like Poyer, Edmunds, Oliver, Singletary having major contract decisions to make are going to keep us from being very aggressive in the free agent pools.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lol, I assure you the players don’t give 2 s**ts about those articles by people trying to get clicks and reads.  

The biggest issue is we won’t have cap space to bring many people to Buffalo despite a lot of players may want to come here.  Von Miller contract coupled with Allens deal kicking in already and guys like Poyer, Edmunds, Oliver, Singletary having major contract decisions to make are going to keep us from being very aggressive in the free agent pools.

Poyer, Edmunds, Oliver…

I’m guessing only 1 of 3 gets a new contract with the Bills. Just not enough money under the cap for all 3, and probably not even enough for 2 of them.  

I know McD(and his love of CB’s and DL) would disagree, but as much FA money and draft capital needs to go towards the OL and WR positions…along with S(depending on what happens with Hyde, Poyer & Hamlin). 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I love me some Poyer. Great S. But DAYM we need speed on the back end. We keep Hyde, my guess is Poyer is replaced with a second rounder with speed.

Bills with Poyer are undefeated.  Poyer is All Pro.  Poyer is warrior, who has played great, despite playing with a torn meniscus and extremely swollen elbow.  Poyer is key component of Bills D.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Bills with Poyer are undefeated.  Poyer is All Pro.  Poyer is warrior, who has played great, despite playing with a torn meniscus and extremely swollen elbow.  Poyer is key component of Bills D.  

playing with the torn meniscus rather than opting for surgery and being ready for the start of 2023 could cost Poyer a lot of money. Big tip of my cap to him being all in for a championship. 

• Agree 6

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

playing with the torn meniscus rather than opting for surgery and being ready for the start of 2023 could cost Poyer a lot of money. Big tip of my cap to him being all in for a championship. 

Poyer playing on a torn Meniscus and bad elbow is playing for his team and not a new contract.  Poyer played with bad ribs and was not cleared to fly earlier in the year too.  He is dedicated to his team and tough as nails!  The Meniscus will heal and won't be a problem with future contracts.  You don't need a Meniscus.  It is just a shock absorber for your knee.  It is just a matter of pain and pain tolerance.  A partially torn Meniscus is more painful than a complete tear or maybe  that is the ACL.

The elbow could cause problems for Poyer and future contracts and will see what happens at seasons end regarding the next step with his elbow.

I think the Bills will pay Poyer.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

I felt the same way a few days ago but it seems the tide may be equaling out a bit. Seeing some negative articles now about how the Bills didn’t play Cinci on Wednesday or whatever.

Have those articles quoted players?  Not likely.  Players don't like Thursday games as too short a week, so can't believe any player would think the Bills should have played Wednesday.

As for the original post, I do agree with the theme that this could/should help in FA pursuit.

23 minutes ago, Pete said:

100% agree with everything you said. I am also saying there is a high chance, he is not with the team next year.

is what it is.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Could you post a link to one of those negative articles? Because I haven’t seen anything like that at all.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ArtVandalay said:

What do you mean botch Poyer? He's 31 soon to be 32 year player coming off an injury riddled year seeking a massive payday. 

Hard to commit big dollars to an old injured player. 

Sorry but 32 is ancient in the NFL especially for a defensive back where foot speed is paramount. 

Hard to pay big money for two safties given all the other paydays in the roster.  Our secondary is soaking up a massive amount of payroll with Allen's extension kicking in next year and his cap number balloons to $40MM... fans aren't used to carrying that large of a contract but it means you can't sign everyone like when we never had a QB deal on the books like that. Diggs jumps to $20MM next year, plus Von Miller, etc.

They don’t have to devote many years on a contract. Sign him for next year with a NICE bonus and make the contract incentive laden. Poyer absolutely has to be a Bill next season. IMO

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Poyer, Edmunds, Oliver…

I’m guessing only 1 of 3 gets a new contract with the Bills. Just not enough money under the cap for all 3, and probably not even enough for 2 of them.  

I know McD(and his love of CB’s and DL) would disagree, but as much FA money and draft capital needs to go towards the OL and WR positions…along with S(depending on what happens with Hyde, Poyer & Hamlin). 

Keeping Edmunds and Oliver would be huge. I love Poyer but hes expendable. 

14 minutes ago, Beast said:

Could you post a link to one of those negative articles? Because I haven’t seen anything like that at all.

To be clear its not negative about the Bills organization as a whole, its negative just about the Cinci situation (which the OP mentioned as a catalyst for goodwill) and not playing the game. 

"At least one player heard Bills coach Sean McDermott say that the Bills would not continue, even if it meant forfeiting the game... The Bengals were willing to accommodate the Bills.  One player heard Bengals coach Zac Taylor offer to resume the game on Tuesday. Bengals players generally accepted the prospect of a one-day delay. But then the Bills left Cincinnati. Multiple Bengals players were confused by that development as it occurred... They wanted to get it played." https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/07/on-monday-night-bengals-were-told-game-will-resume-in-10-minutes/

2 hours ago, Locomark said:

The events of this week have enhanced and reinforced our solid reputation with players and agents around the league about the quality of the Bills organization and our family atmosphere. It also emphasized player health and our staff and ownership commitment to such.  Add this to our Super Bowl window and we should be able to score even more bargain FAs in coming years. 

The only way we could screw up this good will is if we somehow botch the Poyer situation at year end. 

My screen name was created many years ago when the Bills were driving me crazy due to their front office ineptitude. They are certainly a standard bearer for this league now. I have extreme gratitude that the only thing I am crazy now about is for winning. 

I'm not even looking to get bargain contracts and I don't think the Bills front office does either.  We just want to pay a fair price for a solid effort and if you haven't displayed the work  then you shouldn't see the money till it is there.

36 minutes ago, Einstein said:

To be clear its not negative about the Bills organization as a whole, its negative just about the Cinci situation (which the OP mentioned as a catalyst for goodwill) and not playing the game. 

"At least one player heard Bills coach Sean McDermott say that the Bills would not continue, even if it meant forfeiting the game... The Bengals were willing to accommodate the Bills.  One player heard Bengals coach Zac Taylor offer to resume the game on Tuesday. Bengals players generally accepted the prospect of a one-day delay. But then the Bills left Cincinnati. Multiple Bengals players were confused by that development as it occurred... They wanted to get it played." https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/07/on-monday-night-bengals-were-told-game-will-resume-in-10-minutes/

That's your proof???  Are you serious?  LOL

Other than a Bengals players complaining a little, where's the evidence of NFL players not on either team claiming the Bills should have played Wednesday??  Do the Bengals have a gripe about the way things played out, yes they did get the short end.  Even there, they are complaining more about this coin flip idea if they lose today, not about not finishing the Bills game. 

Per your comments, would like to see some articles supporting your claim where players on other teams weren't happy with the Bills in this situation. 

OK so maybe no FA's on the Bengal will want to sign with Buffalo!  Doomed!!

Also the league made the decision about seedings, neutral field etc, not Buffalo.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

5 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

That's your proof???  Are you serious?  LOL

Other than a Bengals players complaining a little, where's the evidence of NFL players not on either team claiming the Bills should have played Wednesday??  Do the Bengals have a gripe about the way things played out, yes they did get the short end.  Even there, they are complaining more about this coin flip idea if they lose today, not about not finishing the Bills game. 

Per your comments, would like to see some articles supporting your claim where players on other teams weren't happy with the Bills in this situation. 

OK so maybe no FA's on the Bengal will want to sign with Buffalo!  Doomed!!

Also the league made the decision about seedings, neutral field etc, not Buffalo.

I think you misunderstood my post. Which you do a lot. You're turning this into a strawman argument. 

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Uh, I never said they wouldn't. You often do this. You misunderstand a persons post and then strawman them. I was just saying there is not unanimous agreement with how the Bills didnt play KC later in the week. Im not sure what youre talking about "proof" and other teams players, etc.

Wel lyopu stated:

"Seeing some negative articles now about how the Bills didn’t play Cinci on Wednesday or whatever"

Someone else questions that too as they hadn't read anything to that point and then you post an article supposedly supporting that position that basically said the Bengal were confused that the Bills left town Monday night.

As to your comment about "often doing things", do you mean like the way you always can find a negative slant on everything.

14 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Wel lyopu stated:

"Seeing some negative articles now about how the Bills didn’t play Cinci on Wednesday or whatever"

Which is EXACTLY what I posted. .

I said it, then I backed it up. 

You turned it into something different.

I also edited my post almost instantly because I didnt want to get into it with you and your strawman arguments but you must have been sitting there just waiting to respond and argue with me. Feel free to have the last word, I wont respond.

Edited by Einstein

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

Poyer, Edmunds, Oliver…

If that's the case I go Edmunds by far

Idk, winning is a cure-all but the weather in Buffalo was insane this year. Playing home games in other stadiums, or not being able to come home and having to dig your car out of 3 feet is snow can’t be too much of a seller point. This past weeks tragedy has shown how genuine McD and Beane are, and that has to be enticing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.