Playoff Solutions Assuming they don’t replay the Bengals game.

Locomark

3 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

It's an either/or option. They'll either split HFA and the bye OR ask for the AFCCG to be played on a neutral field if circumstances dictate. Not both.

Ooooh, I see. I thought you meant the options were:

A) Homefield advantage throughout all 3 games of the post-season but give the Bills a BYE

B) Get a BYE, but games against Bills/Bengals becomes neutral site

Now it makes more sense.

Just now, BigDingus said:

Ooooh, I see. I thought you meant the options were:

A) Homefield advantage throughout all 3 games of the post-season but give the Bills a BYE

B) Get a BYE, but games against Bills/Bengals becomes neutral site

Now it makes more sense.

Apologies, should have made it clearer.

So the latest the NFL network and ESPN are suggesting being tossed around is that should the Bills and KC win is they will decide by winning % and let the Chiefs pick between the bye or home field throughout the playoffs but not both. So KC would most likely pick the bye and we would get 3 home games. the other Option is KC gets the Bye and the AFCC game is played at a neutral site like Indy if Buffalo or the Bengals are in it. 

16 minutes ago, Locomark said:

So the latest the NFL network and ESPN are suggesting being tossed around is that should the Bills and KC win is they will decide by winning % and let the Chiefs pick between the bye or home field throughout the playoffs but not both. So KC would most likely pick the bye and we would get 3 home games. the other Option is KC gets the Bye and the AFCC game is played at a neutral site like Indy if Buffalo or the Bengals are in it. 

If this is the NFL’s solution then I’d love it if the Chiefs willingly gave the Bills homefield. It feels like an impossible choice but the Bills have already been run through the gauntlet. It feels right in a perverse way.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Am I missing something? Isn't winning percentage for a 14/17 (.8235) team slightly better than a winning percentage of a 13/16 (.8125)?

2 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Am I missing something? Isn't winning percentage for a 14/17 (.8235) team slightly better than a winning percentage of a 13/16 (.8125)?

Yes, that’s why the Chiefs would get to choose (assuming both Kansas City and Buffalo win this week).

3 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

KC would have higher win % if they beat Raiders. Then:

1.) AFC Champ at Neutral site if CIN or BUF play KC

And/Or

2.) 1 Seed KC splits benefits with 2 Seed.

Selects BYE or Home Field. 2 Seed gets whatever they don’t take.

13 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Here’s an idea. (Not saying I like it)

NFL would like it. More $$$

Add an 8th team.

Division winners all get a Bye.

1, 2, 3, 4:  BYE

5 vs 8

6 vs 7 

1 vs 6 or 7 or 8

2 vs 5 or 6 or 7

3 vs 4 or 5 

4 vs 3 or 5 

Doesn’t  work out - after week 1 you are at 6 teams then 3.

If you have 8 teams you have to have 0 byes.

To give 4 byes - you would have to expand to 12 teams in each conference.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

Doesn’t  work out - after week 1 you are at 6 teams then 3.

If you have 8 teams you have to have 0 byes.

To give 4 byes - you would have to expand to 12 teams in each conference.

Plus, even if the numbers worked out, they would need an extra week to get through the games.

Edited by UKBillFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Bills need to forfeit the Bengals game. It's one of the only results that doesn't compromise the integrity of the playoffs, since a potential Buffalo-Cincinnati game would be played in Cincy, like the game this past week should've been. If we somehow end up with a bye and/or homefield, any Super Bowl victory will have a giant asterisk. 

Edited by Patrick Fitzryan

2 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Bills need to forfeit the Bengals game. It's the only result that doesn't compromise the integrity of the playoffs, since a potential Buffalo-Cincinnati game would be played in Cincy. If we somehow end up with a bye and/or homefield, any Super Bowl victory will have a giant asterisk. 

100% disagree. Call the game No Contest. 
Go by winning % (KC likely gets 1)

Split 1 seed benefits or AFC title neutral site

I still say my idea of Coin Flip best of 3 to decide Bills Bengals is a simple and fair idea that has no real negative or positive effect on other teams. (Bills win coin flips, KC loses 1 seed….but 50/50 they would have anyway)

Edited by Warriorspikes51

1 minute ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Bills need to forfeit the Bengals game. It's the only result that doesn't compromise the integrity of the playoffs, since a potential Buffalo-Cincinnati game would be played in Cincy. If we somehow end up with a bye and/or homefield, any Super Bowl victory will have a giant asterisk. 

Even though the Bills may have beaten the Bengals, given the chance?

I personally like the idea of the chiefs picking either the 1st round bye or AFC Championship Game home field.  Then 2nd seed gets which ever they don't pick.  So Bills  play wild card weekend but would host KC if they both make it to AFC Championship.  Or,  they get a week off but would go back to arrow head for AFC championship.  Seems fair.  Cincinnati could also end up in Bills position as the 2 seed.  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Lmao it absolutely would not. No one is going to look back and give a damn about where the divisional round game was played. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Process said:

Lmao it absolutely would not. No one is going to look back and give a damn about where the divisional round game was played. 

They absolutely will if the Bills beat the Bengals in Buffalo in the divisional round. Everyone will remember that they were beating us before we made the decision to not continue playing. Everyone will rightfully think it was unfair that they were never given a chance to jump us in the standings.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

They absolutely will if the Bills beat the Bengals in Buffalo in the divisional round. Everyone will remember that they were beating us before we made the decision to not continue playing. Everyone will rightfully think it was unfair that they were never given a chance to jump us in the standings.

They played for like 7 minutes

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

The game was less than 10 minutes old! 

1 minute ago, Ya Digg? said:

The game was less than 10 minutes old! 

And the Bills were the ones who decided to stop play. The Bills left town immediately, ensuring there could be no make-up the following night. Why should anyone else be more negatively affected by our decision than us? It was the right choice, but it is one that comes with a certain unfortunate consequence too.

• Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

And the Bills were the ones who decided to stop play. The Bills left town immediately, ensuring there could be no make-up the following night. Why should anyone else be more negatively affected by our decision than us? It was the right choice, but it is one that comes with a certain unfortunate consequence too.

That’s not true. I listened to the presser with The Bengals coach and it was joint and mutual decision to not continue the game.

8 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

He deferred to McDermott and McDermott deferred to the Bills tram captains. It was our decision, 100%.

You’re flat wrong. It was decided jointly with the league office to suspend the game. You’re either a troll or extremely ignorant of the situation.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Everyone knows having the lead in the first quarter doesn't mean automatic victory. Bills also get the ball after halftime

20 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Dude, I am repeating exactly what Taylor said yesterday and what McDermott said like three hours ago.

Sorry, the NFL were the ones who officially postponed the game, not sure if you read any of their press releases. Don't think McDermott has the power to postpone or cancel a game. He's a coach, not a league official. 

• Like (+1) 1

Some points:

1.  Someone here pointed out there are rules in place for this and those simply point to no contest and let the chips fall.  That is the easiest.

2.  Several point out KC lost to Cincy and Buffalo.  That is true no matter what.  And if KC finished the season still with a better record/win pct then it still wouldn’t matter.  If KC would have finished with the better records it doesn’t matter.  Unfortunately the inherent nature of a no contest means Buffalo now has no chance to earn the better record.  You don’t get points for this. KC has had seasons where they beat both super bowl participants in the regular season.  It doesn’t matter.

3.  If they do the plan where KC would choose bye Or homefield, that 10000% ought to be “bye” because math.  But……if you tell me I’m forced into that choice AND I know my opponent is NE.  I’d at least consider playing the game and taking homefield.  I’d also consider it for a Miami team if I knows no Tua or Bridgewater.

4.  KC still has to win this week or a lot of this won’t matter.  

5.  The 8th playoff team is pure crap!  The Jets Titans and Ravens Raiders may have opted to play differently, start or sit injured players differently last week IF they knew they were still in it.  Screwing more and more teams trying to balance out the unfairness by sharing it with even more teams isn’t the way to go

2 hours ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

It was a decision by both teams to stop playing. Bengals players were also affected. 

That said, I agree, I don't want any special consideration, I just want the game to be played. It is silly to me that we may change all the rules and split advantages for being the 1st seed solely because we can't just make up this game. 

I do think if we did win it all with help from a split advantage like home field advantage then there will be quite a bit of trolling about the Bills having to have that advantage to beat the Chiefs. Its not a huge deal but it will be annoying.

3 hours ago, Punch said:

The NFL proposal is that the 1 seed would choose between homefield or a 1st round bye. 

2 hours ago, Captain Caveman said:

The idea is splitting the benefits of the 1 seed between the top two teams since the Chiefs likely would not have won the 1 seed had the Bills / Bengals game been played (and assuming Bills / Bengals win this week)

Really dislike this idea per the above. I will surely be pissed if we get knocked out in wildcard when we surely could have claimed the #1 seed legitimately.

1 hour ago, bills6969 said:

Bills v Chiefs at Ford field 

Its just silly. This is an advantage rightly earned by one team or the other. Just replay the damn bengals bills game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.