Buffalo airport closed until Monday AM...Christmas in Chicago for the Bills?

Process

8 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

What about the Buffalo airport being closed don’t you get?

Obviously the buffalo airport is closed. My point is I think it is highly unlikely they drive from Rochester to Buffalo today. By the time they will be able to drive in by bus, the airport is very much most likely going to be open.

So to me the choice is fly to Rochester, get stuck there, and ultimately fly to Buffalo Monday or just stay in Chicago and fly into Buffalo Monday.

Edited by HardyBoy

46 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Obviously the buffalo airport is closed. My point is I think it is highly unlikely they drive from Rochester to Buffalo today. By the time they will be able to drive in by bus, the airport is very much most likely going to be open.

So to me the choice is fly to Rochester, get stuck there, and ultimately fly to Buffalo Monday or just stay in Chicago and fly into Buffalo Monday.

Freezing Steve Martin GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

I don't know why they refuse to use Rochester/ Syracuse/ Niagara Falls (still open?) airports.

I'm in Greece NY a suburb north of Rochester on Lake Ontario. We have literally 0 weather right now.

It was really bad yesterday and up till around noon. There is some light wind and most of the burbs got 1-3 inches of snow and it's not even blowing.

I have made it form my house to Orchard Park in 45 minutes.

Let me know how that works with the Thruway closed, travel ban in Erie County, and drifts all over the place in Orchard Park.

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Let me know how that works with the Thruway closed, travel ban in Erie County, and drifts all over the place in Orchard Park.

The thruway is closed for us common folk is my only guess on what could happen for the Bills. 

I know there a many exceptions to travel bans in most cases - I can travel any time, fwiw. Health care workers, and people returning from work may travel in all cases I've ever known. 

5 minutes ago, boyst said:

The thruway is closed for us common folk is my only guess on what could happen for the Bills. 

I know there a many exceptions to travel bans in most cases - I can travel any time, fwiw. Health care workers, and people returning from work may travel in all cases I've ever known. 

Can legally travel, and can safely/feasibly travel are two different things.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

For you and I, the thruway is closed. For the Bills? I’m guessing it miraculously “reopens”

with squirrel Winter leading the  charge.........

lol your thought reads very visually funny. But would they really open the NYS Thruway for Team busses?

But with a travel ban in place? Naw. No way.

Edited by muppy

Just now, Beck Water said:

Can legally travel, and can safely/feasibly travel are two different things.

I think the DOT finds a way to safely allow them to legally travel home. Of course it's a Sunday and it's NY so finding Union workers to work sextuple pay on a holiday emergency rate will be super hard. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

There is no way anyone flies from Rochester to Buffalo. C'mon man.

3 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

For you and I, the thruway is closed. For the Bills? I’m guessing it miraculously “reopens”

Tim Graham...is that you??

• Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

There is no way anyone flies from Rochester to Buffalo. C'mon man.

I know, that's what I'm saying. I don't think a nfl team's insurance company is signing off on them driving into Buffalo before it is safe to do so. I think once it's safe to do so it will also be safe to fly into the airports.

The Buffalo airport announced they will be closed until Tuesday at 11:00am.  I don't think we've ever seen the airport closed that long?  Especially during the super busy holiday season.  When you consider that Rochester airport has remained open the whole time it really drives home the uniqueness of Lake effect snow off Lake Erie and how localized it is.

Edited by zow2

44 minutes ago, KHAN said:

Came for the current info on team travel.

Stayed for the personal insults and racial slurs.

Bravo. And Merry Christmas.

Seriously.

It's amazing how much I actually care about Bills players getting home for at least part of Christmas but I do. Nice to have a team where you like the people.

Seriously. Any updates?

Merry Christmas everyone!

3 hours ago, SoMAn said:

Concerned.
Has anyone gone out to the Buffalo airport to check on the 4 or 5 drunk Polacks waiting there to greet the Bills to congratulate them on the division  championship? 

FABULOUS! 😂🤪👍🎉✔️🍾🇺🇸🏈

Merry Christmas to you and the Bills!

2twogo!

31 minutes ago, SMAKCruiser said:

A Boeing 767 from Chicago is flying over my house (I live in Rochester), that's gotta be them!

Capture.JPG

This is allegedly their flight from Chicago.  Landed about 19 minutes ago.

Now how to get the guys from Roch-cha-cha to Orchard Park, Good Luck with that.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL8859/history/20221225/1510Z/KORD/KROC

18 hours ago, zow2 said:

Per FlightRadar app,  Delta flight# 8859 from O’hare scheduled to arrive at Rochester airport on Sunday at 11:25am.

Boeing 767.  That’s the Bills flight.

Landed in Rochester per Flightaware.  And Bills Mafia was there!

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

14 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:
14 hours ago, Wacka said:

The highway scenes were filmed on a closed own 219.

Really?  As Johnny Carson used to say ‘I did not know that'

The scene of the train coming out of the tunnel was shot in South Dayton, NY. Also some scenes were from the Thruway near Batavia.

5 minutes ago, zow2 said:

So what about the players and coaches who drove to Buffalo airport and left their cars?  I assume they don't all take a bus.  Those vehicles are probably buried indefinitely!

Well...good luck. Hope they have snow shovels in the trunk.

Nobody is traveling in Cheektowaga either. I live a few doors from William Street on a county road.  We have had a high lift come down the street once Friday, onceSaturday and once today, That is likely because there is a nursing home on the street. 

Landlord's son (landlord lives next door) tried cleaning out our drive,. Got one car length in and got his pickup with a plow stuck for about 2 hours this morning.

13 minutes ago, boyst said:

They'll be at their homes by nightfall. 

Damn it feels good to be right. 

I'd like you to be right here, but it seems kind of tenuous - unless the team rents a positive fleet of Snow Cats or something.

32 minutes ago, zow2 said:

So what about the players and coaches who drove to Buffalo airport and left their cars?  I assume they don't all take a bus.  Those vehicles are probably buried indefinitely!

I would like to think that the Bills had the forethought to tell the guys to come to Highmark  - ideally, get a ride - and bussed them to the airport.

If not, they're gonna have to get some high loaders to dig them out of the Charter terminal.  But no hurry, because I don't think they want to turn those guys loose to drive home from the airport.

Edited by Beck Water

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'd like you to be right here, but it seems kind of tenuous - unless the team rents a positive fleet of Snow Cats or something.

I would like to think that the Bills had the forethought to tell the guys to come to Highmark  - ideally, get a ride - and bussed them to the airport.

If not, they're gonna have to get some high loaders to dig them out of the Charter terminal.  But no hurry, because I don't think they want to turn those guys loose to drive home from the airport.

Ironic how the team and locals jumped through hoops to get the guys to Detroit in November for a game,,,, now they gotta reverse the process and get the guys back to their homes and families.  Its just nuts, what a crazy winter so far for Erie County.

36 minutes ago, Billznut said:

Josh looking a little sauced last night. Good for him

Drinking Bud Light - does Barstool River North not carry Blue Light 😜

That's pretty cool the bar did that - another bonding activity for the team - together drinking in a bar that's exclusively yours on Christmas eve

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They should have put out an APB for fans on snowmobiles to come out and shovel the players out for tix to the last game

• Agree 1

Wow. So I’m guessing they were allowed to use the Thruway to get from Rochester to the Buffalo airport, and then they were all allowed to individually drive home from the airport to their homes in OP (or the south towns), while everybody else is locked down at home, and there is a standing traffic ban, with threats of arrest for being out on the roads!? Just Wow! Rules are for suckers, not NFL organizations, I guess. 🙄

Edited by Bob Jones
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Wow. So I’m guessing they were allowed to use the Thruway to get from Rochester to the Buffalo airport, and then they were all allowed to individually drive home from the airport to their homes in OP (or the south towns), while everybody else is locked down at home, and there is a standing traffic ban, with threats of arrest for being out on the roads!? Just Wow! Rules are for suckers, not NFL organizations, I guess. 🙄

I’m sure they opened it up and players have strict instructions on where to go. Probably straight on the thruway and home.

It should be easy to understand how they could organize the players path home. They can’t open the roads up to everyone yet. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.