Justin Fields makes me nervous.

ChicagoRic

22 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Hopefully the one who passed for 2 TDs and rushed for one more, yesterday.

Not me.  Against a good team, yesterday’s Josh would have lost the game. The turnovers he made were pretty bad; although he said the one to Cook was the wind. 

Why he consistently gives up the free 5-8 yards the opponent routinely gives him is beyond me. Yesterday he was passing up those plays for some lousy alternatives downfield. 

I do believe he will show up in prime time, but I’ll need to see a few series from him before I’ll feel more confident against the Bengals. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

31 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Not me.  Against a good team, yesterday’s Josh would have lost the game. The turnovers he made were pretty bad; although he said the one to Cook was the wind. 

Why he consistently gives up the free 5-8 yards the opponent routinely gives him is beyond me. Yesterday he was passing up those plays for some lousy alternatives downfield. 

I do believe he will show up in prime time, but I’ll need to see a few series from him before I’ll feel more confident against the Bengals. 

I remember when I used to focus primarily on the negative stuff.  That's no fun.

Three total TDs is what I choose to take away from yesterday.

Yes ... they were sloppy.  So what?  They won by three TDs on the road, in freezing temperatures.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Josh was making me nervous the whole game.  Wonder which Josh will show up next week?

No kidding. Even when he wasn’t turning the ball over, it was still squirting around in his arms and he had the frantic feet. It’s a danger zone when the Bills are pinned deep. You can FEEL him press.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I remember when I used to focus primarily on the negative stuff.  That's no fun.

Three total TDs is what I choose to take away from yesterday.

Yes ... they were sloppy.  So what?  They won by three TDs on the road, in freezing temperatures.

Whilst I understand your perspective, I chose to hold this potentially Super Bowl bound team to a higher standard. 

• Agree 1

Just now, WotAGuy said:

Whilst I understand your perspective, I chose to hold this potentially Super Bowl bound team to a higher standard. 

Oh, so do I.

I just think there are certain things that need to be taken into consideration.  High winds, sub-zero wind chills, expedited travel ... I think those are noteworthy factors.  

It was a team win.  Josh made a couple bad decisions; there were lots of penalties; we turned the ball over three times ... and the defense made sure those turnovers didn't hurt us.

Can we turn the ball over three times in a playoff game and expect to win?  Likely not.

But this wasn't a playoff game.  The Bills ended up winning in a blowout.  They still control their own destiny and have been the only team favored to win the Super Bowl since the end of last season.

That's some good sh!t, man.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 12/21/2022 at 12:34 AM, Airseven said:

Fields will run wild. There’s no doubt.

But he makes plays that aren’t sustainable across a full game and the Bears never finish.

You know how we can tell you’re wrong?

You hit “submit reply”.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

They’re 12-3 coming off a blowout win

Yes. These are facts. 

I’m just reiterating things that Josh made points about in his press conference. He needs to play smarter to beat playoff-caliber teams. I don’t feel that’s negative. It’s just my opinion.

The Bills need the Miami game Josh, not the Chicago game Josh - if they plan to win a Super Bowl. 

8 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Yes. These are facts. 

I’m just reiterating things that Josh made points about in his press conference. He needs to play smarter to beat playoff-caliber teams. I don’t feel that’s negative. It’s just my opinion.

The Bills need the Miami game Josh, not the Chicago game Josh - if they plan to win a Super Bowl. 

All true, but over the last 3-4  years Josh tends to play really well against the better teams and not so well against everyone else. Not every time, but most of the time. To me he almost seems bored/uninterested when playing lesser opponents over the last few years.

Could be alot worse though, he could play his best games against the poor teams and struggle against the best.

Since last year's playoffs, I don't worry about Josh in big games anymore. The narrative is he started playing well in December last year and it carried over into the postseason, but you look at his numbers, I don't think that's the case. 4 of 6 games after Dec. 1st he had a completion percentage in the 50s or lower. 50.0, 55.9, 42.3 & 53.3. The last 3 percentages were from 3 out of the last 4 games last year. He also had a 0 td 3 int game in week 17 last year to go along with his 42.3 completion percentage and his worst QB Rating of his career at 17.0

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 12/25/2022 at 10:04 AM, WotAGuy said:

I think josh has earned that trust

• Like (+1) 1

I think Fields is going to be a keeper. He's got a long way to go, much the same as Josh did, but he seems like he has good tools to work with. I think his ceiling is lower than Josh's, but with some real weapons around him I think he'll be fine.

• Agree 1

On 12/25/2022 at 1:06 AM, Nelius said:

Not to be discounted, this is once again a pretty solid example of Frazier taking away their clearly best offensive force. Fields has 1k rushing yards on the season -  he had 11 today.

Frazier similarly took away Chubb and Tyreek Hill recently. Clear offensive top talent nullified. I raised this after the Miami game and the contrarians shouted about earlier season miscues which they were correct about, but this is emerging as a late season trend - Buffalo is succeeding at completely removing the opponent's primary offensive force from the equation, forcing them to rely on secondary options. I like it.

Even earlier in the season they held Henry to 13 carries 25 yards 1 td. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Rubes said:

I think Fields is going to be a keeper. He's got a long way to go, much the same as Josh did, but he seems like he has good tools to work with. I think his ceiling is lower than Josh's, but with some real weapons around him I think he'll be fine.

He rarely throws.  Runs around a lot.  He's too easy to scheme against.  He doesn't resemble Josh at year 2. 

If he becomes a better passer, his ceiling is Lamar Jackson. 

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He rarely throws.  Runs around a lot.  He's too easy to scheme against.  He doesn't resemble Josh at year 2. 

If he becomes a better passer, his ceiling is Lamar Jackson. 

He doesn't have that gunslinger mentality, at least not now. But I do think he's shown some (brief) flashes as a passer. I think he can be similar to Lamar, if the team surrounds him with players.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rubes said:

He doesn't have that gunslinger mentality, at least not now. But I do think he's shown some (brief) flashes as a passer. I think he can be similar to Lamar, if the team surrounds him with players.

hes gonna need a lot of players…

his coaching staff prefers he throw as little as possible.  That was never true with Allen—even when the options were Beasley and John Brown

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

hes gonna need a lot of players…

his coaching staff prefers he throw as little as possible.  That was never true with Allen—even when the options were Beasley and John Brown

True, but Beasley and Brown are still a lot better than what he has this year.

2 minutes ago, Rubes said:

True, but Beasley and Brown are still a lot better than what he has this year.

better than what Fields has?

Darnell Mooney had over 1000 yards last season (in 3 games with Dalton, he had 121, 123, 126 yards).  this year: 493 in 11 games.

Cole Cmet is having as good a year as Knox.

Claypool got almost 900 yards last year with the corpse of Big Ben.  Even with the woeful combo of Trubisky and Pickett, he wasn't too bad....then he came to Chicago and Fields can't find him.

The problem is Fields.  He can't read progressions--that was his predraft scouting.  So ,he just takes off.  That's not hard to defend if you have a decent Defense. 

Fields has worse field vision than Tyrod Taylor and I didn’t even think that was even possible. He is Lamar Jackson athletically but a worse passer and I didn’t think that was also possible. The Bears will get stuck into 3 years of hell because they cannot evaluate QB just like we were with Taylor. I said I would eat my shoe if we made it to a Super Bowl or if Taylor took another team to a SB. I feel save that I’m not eating a shoe.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

17 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

better than what Fields has?

Darnell Mooney had over 1000 yards last season (in 3 games with Dalton, he had 121, 123, 126 yards).  this year: 493 in 11 games.

Cole Cmet is having as good a year as Knox.

Claypool got almost 900 yards last year with the corpse of Big Ben.  Even with the woeful combo of Trubisky and Pickett, he wasn't too bad....then he came to Chicago and Fields can't find him.

The problem is Fields.  He can't read progressions--that was his predraft scouting.  So ,he just takes off.  That's not hard to defend if you have a decent Defense. 

He has shown some progress, but if I’m Chicago I’m seriously considering taking a QB at 2

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.