GDT Thread! It’s here - ELECTION “SEASON” 2022 will conclude in 2023

Just now, ChiGoose said:

The reason they say that it is it easier to spread misinformation that abortions 8 months in are elective than it is to explain the nuances of why someone would have to have an abortion at that stage. 

So instead of spending several minutes explaining the nuances of pregnancy healthcare, liberal politicians find it easier to phrase it as keeping the government out of healthcare decisions.

I get that and I understand.  However, I find that our culture now understands that killing babies is just fine.  I hate that.  I've been through it in my generation and the next and all I can say is I'm so happy to provide for these sweet little girls.  one and then the next.

1 minute ago, Demongyz said:

I get that and I understand.  However, I find that our culture now understands that killing babies is just fine.  I hate that.  I've been through it in my generation and the next and all I can say is I'm so happy to provide for these sweet little girls.  one and then the next.

I think that if we took a root cause analysis to unwanted pregnancies and addressed those issues, we would dramatically reduce the number of abortions without endangering the lives of women.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It’s starting. Trump toady Kari Lake is already talking about stolen elections and challenges, and nobody has even called the race yet. 

Ive made my opinion of Trump and his bs very well known in this thread, but I kind of don’t blame her.  

Hobbs running the election, and it being such a dumpster fire earlier today, ehh… if she loses and wants to wild out, I’ll allow it. 

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Ive made my opinion of Trump and his bs very well known in this thread, but I kind of don’t blame her.  

Hobbs running the election, and it being such a dumpster fire earlier today, ehh… if she loses and wants to wild out, I’ll allow it. 

I can understand being upset about the results of an election, but if you're someone trying to be a government official, elected or not, you should damn well have something to back that up when you say stuff like that.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I can understand being upset about the results of an election, but if you're someone trying to be a government official, elected or not, you should damn well have something to back that up when you say stuff like that.

This might just be a must watch. The whole thing is good, but the pertainent part begins around 5:25

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It’s starting. Trump toady Kari Lake is already talking about stolen elections and challenges, and nobody has even called the race yet. 

These people have no shame. Just flat out embarrassing that there are millions of folks in this country who will support such brainwashed lunacy

• Agree 1

Ok, last big update before bedtime. It's late even for central time. So far, it looks like the GOP will take the House but the Senate is still in question. This is, frankly, a pretty terrible result for the GOP given the fundamentals.

Races I'm watching:

image.thumb.png.a768a441b09ba05e633d47e92fbcefd5.png

image.thumb.png.56c0b4a3344f618989f0dbe2ad6b29c5.png

image.thumb.png.43ff5f2e03b6dd8bd9771808d1f32912.png

8 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

This might just be a must watch. The whole thing in good, but the pertainent part begins around 5:25

Can we sub him in for Fetterman? Regardless of party or affiliation views, I think everyone would (hopefully) agree that the PA Senate race is/was a display of two sorry candidates that highlights the bad (not everything is bad) in American politics.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

This might just be a must watch. The whole thing is good, but the pertainent part begins around 5:25

Ohio really missed out. They could have had a working man, a family man, someone who understood them and stood up to people like Pelosi.

Instead, they chose an elitist gadfly who made his name on exploiting the challenges of regular people, sold it to Hollywood for a ton of money, and flip-flops to accommodate whichever political sponsor is the most convenient at that moment.

Edited by ChiGoose
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Ok, last big update before bedtime. It's late even for central time. So far, it looks like the GOP will take the House but the Senate is still in question. This is, frankly, a pretty terrible result for the GOP given the fundamentals.

Races I'm watching:

image.thumb.png.a768a441b09ba05e633d47e92fbcefd5.png

image.thumb.png.56c0b4a3344f618989f0dbe2ad6b29c5.png

image.thumb.png.43ff5f2e03b6dd8bd9771808d1f32912.png

GOP will flip it and talk about candidate quality (fair) and how they made a lot of inroads towards taking the House in ‘20 which is why tonight isn’t so eye opening on that end (also fair).    

They’ll also point to the map for Congress being much better for the GOP in ‘24 (again, fair)

But the the overarching takeaway from tonight is that Trump is toxic and he, for the second election in a row, completely f***ed over the GOP by pushing his candidates. 

Abortion messaging needs to be better for R’s, but I don’t see this being a massive issue again in ‘24, given the recency power of this fading.  It will be an issue, but not the damaging one that drives northern democrats in their obsession to legalize any/all killing of unborn children.   It also doesn’t totally add up given abortion measures are state level policy and DeSantis, Kemp, Dewine, Abbott all did phenomenal…. All signed abortion restrictions.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

GOP will flip it and talk about candidate quality (fair) and how they made a lot of inroads towards taking the House in ‘20 which is why tonight isn’t so eye opening on that end (also fair).    

They’ll also point to the map for Congress being much better for the GOP in ‘24 (again, fair)

But the the overarching takeaway from tonight is that Trump is toxic and he, for the second election in a row, completely f***ed over the GOP by pushing his candidates. 

Abortion messaging needs to be better for R’s, but I don’t see this being a massive issue again in ‘24, given the recency power of this fading.  It will be an issue, but not the damaging one that drives northern democrats in their obsession to legalize any/all killing of unborn children.   It also doesn’t totally add up given abortion measures are state level policy and DeSantis, Kemp, Dewine, Abbott all did phenomenal…. All signed abortion restrictions.  

If not a having a "Red Wave" this year because of Trump, which causes Trump to NOT run (or ultimately not being nominated) and Desantis is the presidential nominee then big picture this a HUGGEEE win for everyone.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, letsgoteam said:

If not a having a "Red Wave" this year because of Trump, which causes Trump to NOT run (or ultimately not being nominated) and Desantis is the presidential nominee then big picture this a HUGGEEE win for everyone.

Donald Trump GIF

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, letsgoteam said:

It might also embolden Biden to seek reelection.  Trump will be a problem no matter what though.  He'll either win the GOP nomination or run as a 3rd party candidate to spite the Republican party that he perceived turned on him.

46 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It might also embolden Biden to seek reelection.  Trump will be a problem no matter what though.  He'll either win the GOP nomination or run as a 3rd party candidate to spite the Republican party that he perceived turned on him.

Now that, would be amazing.   I could see it happen too.  I'm referring to Trump rolling 3rd party obviously not Biden.   No way he should get a 2nd term.

Wow.

I threw out exit polls we’re giving more confidence for Dems around 7 pm last night but didn’t expect this.

NYT has the Dems most likely at 51 in the Senate. (One is GA which looks run off but Warnock has to be favored)

House is at a projected 224 for Rep, so only a 12 seat change and very slim majority. It’ll be interesting to see where that number lands.

With all the factors so heavily favoring the Republicans in this election, this can’t be seen as anything other than an embarrassment.

I guess abortion was a little higher on voter radars than posters in here were saying. 

Where do the Republicans go from here? They lost a Presidential election to a terrible candidate. They lost a slam dunk mid-term. The party has to be ready to get rid of Trump after last night.

- Also worry excited by the Boebert news. This should be the most eye awakening result for the people on here even if Boebert ends up keeping her seat. (She’s down about 5k votes right now)

Currently a +2 for Dems in governor mansions too!

Edited by Backintheday544
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Trump won’t run to lose as a 3rd party. His ego won’t permit that. Cheney on the other hand, would run as a third party to spoil a Trump campaign. 

Republican lesson narrative: Stop putting up bad candidates. PA would have been an easy win with a moderate actually from PA. Georgia, I mean Jesus wept there. Moderate Rs would have won in the hoped-for tsunami. But the base controls the primaries. 

The Forward Party has it right in their three prongs. Fix the system. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

Ya…well your take on women’s rights is pretty much…..wrong. GOP hatched a group of women and young voters who will never vote GOP….see above

28 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

The future voters of this country for decades to come 

I figured dems would lose today but long term Republicans are f'd.  May be as soon as 8 to 10 years. 1st world countries are becoming more progressive and less religious.   Hopefully we can push this in a smart way because the left often has not.

Edited by L Ron Burgundy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, TH3 said:

Ya…well your take on women’s rights is pretty much…..wrong. GOP hatched a group of women and young voters who will never vote GOP….see above

It’s not.  Feel free to be knee jerk reflexive, but the first election post-Roe where R’s went for the kill shot on abortion is not indicative of where the issue will remain moving forward.

Every single poll on this shows public sentiment is heavy on legal access through 15 weeks, and then exceptions thereafter.  

Northern R’s do have an abortion messaging problem though .. as that’s a big reason why Fetterman won, Hassan cruised and Ron Johnson barely escaped. 

Meanwhile Kemp, Abbott and DeSantis all signed abortion restrictions and expanded their popularity in state.   Can’t just pick and choose… Kemp signed one of the strictest abortion laws in the country and won by 8 points. 

R’s have to continue their Hispanic outreach to offset the fact the Dem Party is essentially the party of women and blacks. 

Big story re: Gen Z is not that they voted Dem.. That’s always the case with the youngest voting generation.  It’s the turnout that was impressive in certain states.  Expecting those people to not grow older, have families etc and do the same progression towards the center/right every other generation does is … strange.  Although, maybe culture shifts towards workplace trends and marriage/family do keep a larger majority in a place where they stay progressive for life. 

All the more reason for R’s to embrace DeSantis/Youngkin types and their vibe shift focus on building the party around the white working class, hispanics, suburban moms and small business owners. 

The political realignment is going to be interesting.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, SCBills said:

All the more reason for R’s to embrace DeSantis/Youngkin types and their vibe shift focus on building the party around the white working class, hispanics, suburban moms and small business owners. 

whichever small business owners are still left in a couple years, at least.

55 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

I figured dems would lose today but long term Republicans are f'd.  May be as soon as 8 to 10 years. 1st world countries are becoming more progressive and less religious.   Hopefully we can push this in a smart way because the left often has not.

This has been the case for over 50 years - 18-29 vote D and are usually around 10% of the vote.  

The highest share (14% in NC) they voted 44% for Rs.  Pretty close to that in FL to.  

That’s a red flag by any measure.  

The Ds lost every other age group the last data I saw - razor close but lost.  

Edited by Big Blitz