GDT Thread! It’s here - ELECTION “SEASON” 2022 will conclude in 2023

17 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

This is called the Spoiler Effect and it's why nobody should vote third party until we get rid of First Past the Post elections.

Full disclosure, I have voted third party in the past. It was dumb. I won't do it again in a FPTP election.

I’ve voted for 3rd party candidates (in fact, I just did for my House rep) as a kind of protest when everyone knows the race is not competitive. But I agree - if the race is truly competitive, don’t throw away your vote. 

Regardless of political affiliation, what’s happening in Arizona is unacceptable. 

If it truly takes until Friday to know who won .. hopefully it’s Lake .. and she takes a machete to their voting procedures moving forward. 

Even Georgia and Pennsylvania got their results in quickly this time.  

1 minute ago, B-Man said:

The leadership of the NY Dem party should be fired into the sun.

While they were hampered by the prohibition on gerrymandering, their underperformance is inexcusable.

On the other hand, if the GOP gets it's way in Moore v. Harper, they can just redraw the lines so that every House district has enough of NYC in it to clean sweep the entire delegation.

10 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Not it doesn't.   If you can't relate to both sides of the issue you have no critical thinking. 

Abortion is, easily, the most nuanced topic in the American electorate … which, of course, means our two major parties have taken the most extreme positions on the issue. 

R’s can flip this issue on its head by acknowledging Americans do not want full bans, and agree to limitations. 

As long as there are vocal leaders in the party floating/implementing full bans.. even if only in the reddest of red states.. R’s will struggle on messaging here in northern swing states like PA, MI, WI etc

Whoever the R nominee is should be prepared to have a clear, concise policy view on this issue.  One that acknowledges states rights and the view of having legal access to a point.  Otherwise it will be defined for them and become a political weakness.  Not one they can’t overcome, but it will be hammered home by their opponents and via statewide initiatives on the ballot to drive turnout. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

“We in America have some of the cleanest air and cleanest water of anybody in the world,” Walker begins at about the 24 mark in the video of his speech. Under the Green New Deal, he said, the U.S would spend “millions of billions of dollars cleaning our good air up. … Since we don’t control the air, our good air decided to float over to China’s bad air so when China gets our good air, their bad air got to move. So it moves over to our good air space. Then now we got to clean that back up, while they’re messing ours up.”

“So what we’re doing is just spending money,” he continued. “Until these other countries can get on board and clean what they got up, it ain’t going to help us to start cleaning our stuff up. We’re already doing it the right way.”

2 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

“We in America have some of the cleanest air and cleanest water of anybody in the world,” Walker begins at about the 24 mark in the video of his speech. Under the Green New Deal, he said, the U.S would spend “millions of billions of dollars cleaning our good air up. … Since we don’t control the air, our good air decided to float over to China’s bad air so when China gets our good air, their bad air got to move. So it moves over to our good air space. Then now we got to clean that back up, while they’re messing ours up.”

“So what we’re doing is just spending money,” he continued. “Until these other countries can get on board and clean what they got up, it ain’t going to help us to start cleaning our stuff up. We’re already doing it the right way.”

Clearly one of the greatest thinkers of our time.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Who got into the script for "Idiocracy 2"?

• Haha (+1) 1

The Republicans are in a tough spot.

It's clear they need to move on from Trump.  He is a liability, turns off people in his own party, and energizes the opposition.  They have a firebrand with desantis who has a lot of momentum rolling downhill.

Trump's ego and mental deficiencies will never allow for desantis (or anyone else but especially desantis, a protégé in a lot of ways).  He will attack desantis, the party, the primary process on his way out.  He will sabotage the republican chances in 2024.  The Frankenstein monster they created with Trump and his loyal base will finally turn on their master and start smashing the lab.

It will probably gift the dems the white house, I can still see a R congress in 24 though.  In the long run it'll be a good thing.  Get the crazies out in a new party, R can move toward the middle.  The D party would need to split at some point because a center-ish republican party would likely dominate.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Looking at the data we have, there's still a chance that the Dems hold the House.

That's insane. If that happens, it's an utter failure and embarrassment for the GOP. They should have been in position to have the House called for them at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

It's clear they need to move on from Trump.  He is a liability, turns off people in his own party, and energizes the opposition.  They have a firebrand with desantis who has a lot of momentum rolling downhill.

Trump's ego and mental deficiencies will never allow for desantis (or anyone else but especially desantis, a protégé in a lot of ways).  He will attack desantis, the party, the primary process on his way out.  He will sabotage the republican chances in 2024.  The Frankenstein monster they created with Trump and his loyal base will finally turn on their master.

It will probably gift the dems the white house, I can still see a R congress in 24 though.  In the long run it'll be a good thing.  Get the crazies out in a new party, R can move toward the middle.  The D party would need to split at some point because a center-ish republican party would likely dominate.

Well said.  There is a price to pay eventually when you support a lunatic. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Trump's ego and mental deficiencies will never allow for desantis (or anyone else but especially desantis, a protégé in a lot of ways).  He will attack desantis, the party, the primary process on his way out.  He will sabotage the republican chances in 2024.  The Frankenstein monster they created with Trump and his loyal base will finally turn on their master.

If DeSantis runs, and defeats Trump, they’ll need some behind the scenes figures to handle DJT.  

Politics are dirty, and some of the people reportedly backing DeSantis have alot of money, power and connections.  

They’ll have a plan to make him fall in line and/or gracefully exit .. if they don’t, I don’t think DeSantis or Youngkin etc run and the GOP just has to suck it up and hope he prevails. 

1 minute ago, ChiGoose said:

Looking at the data we have, there's still a chance that the Dems hold the House.

That's insane. If that happens, it's an utter failure and embarrassment for the GOP. They should have been in position to have the House called for them at this point.

What are we looking at here? A very slim margin, I guess, one or two seat majority? 

After the 2020 elections I thought there was no way there were 81 million people stupid enough to vote for Biden, the election had to have been rigged. After last night I now believe that yes, there really is that many stupid people.

28 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Not it doesn't.   If you can't relate to both sides of the issue you have no critical thinking. 

Conservatives: 

Against gay marriage until their son comes out as gay

Against abortion till they stumble into an unwanted pregnancy

Against welfare...till they need it or its PPP

Hate Social Security...until they retire

Hate socialized medicine ...until they are on medicare...

No Global Warming...until their house burns up

Agaisnt debt....until its tax cuts...

Against immigrants...till they need to eat fruit or vegetables or drywall hung...

Ya...I get "conservatives" and  "critical thinking" 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TH3 said:

Conservatives: 

Against immigrants...till they need to eat fruit or vegetables or drywall hung...

Oooh damn you may have won the internet today.  

Wait, you steal this from Twitter?

9 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

What are we looking at here? A very slim margin, I guess, one or two seat majority? 

It's slim one way or the other.

I'm seeing anything between R+10 and D+2 or 3. 

I'm guessing at this point, it's s slim R majority but the fact that the Dems are still in play is nuts. 

Also, no idea how McCarthy whips the votes for Speaker if the GOP lead is 5 or fewer votes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, TH3 said:

Conservatives: 

Im a conservative:

pro-gay marriage

politically support 12-15 week limit with exceptions after 

calling PPP is bs given what went on and comments like that are why I will never support any Dem again in my life 

Have next to zero political care about social security.  Whatever, keep it, fine. 

Supported the idea of M4A until Dems showed they can’t be trusted during an emergency and will weaponize anything at their disposal 

We should address climate change, but cannot go 0-100 like current admin is doing 

I want more legal immigration.  Much rather have socially conservative Hispanics to drown out liberal white women and habitual Dem black voters 

I’m a small business owner who pays a **** ton in taxes and will never support lockdown/mandate politicians or a party pushing gender ideology on children and abortion to birth.  

Conservatives need to fight the culture war and point out the degenerate, perverse views those like you wish to push on children.  Those who do… DeSantis/Youngkin are the two most popular Governors in the country.  Not a coincidence. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Im a conservative:

pro-gay marriage

politically support 12-15 week limit with exceptions after 

calling PPP is bs given what went on and comments like that are why I will never support any Dem again in my life 

Have next to zero political care about social security.  Whatever, keep it, fine. 

Supported the idea of M4A until Dems showed they can’t be trusted during an emergency and will weaponize anything at their disposal 

We should address climate change, but cannot go 0-100 like current admin is doing 

I want more legal immigration.  Much rather have socially conservative Hispanics to drown out liberal white women and habitual Dem black voters 

I’m a small business owner who pays a **** ton in taxes and will never support lockdown/mandate politicians or a party pushing gender ideology on children and abortion to birth.  

Conservatives need to fight the culture war and point out the degenerate, perverse views those like you wish to push on children.  Those who do… DeSantis/Youngkin are the two most popular Governors in the country.  Not a coincidence. 

Now you won the internet.  Congrats.

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

And that's why we're screwed.  The family unit is disappearing, for the worse.

Destroy the nuclear family and make people dependent upon the govt. 

Sad to say, the strategy works.