GDT Thread! It’s here - ELECTION “SEASON” 2022 will conclude in 2023

Wonder if we see further Balkanization of the country after last night.  

I know plenty of New Yorkers who have stated they will look at moving south if Zeldin can’t win … looks like he can’t even make it a nail biter.  

Same in Michigan… and obviously we see Cali R’s/Indies fleeing to Idaho, Nevada, AZ and Texas.   

Pennsylvanians should just stay in PA… dumbest electorate in the country.   Being led by Shapiro and Fetterman because they let Trump sell them on Mastriano and Oz is what they deserve. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

🤣

Will this guy ever go away? I just hope last nights Republican performance dissuades him from running again. Luckily, I don't think he would win the primary against DeSantis anyways. But best if he just chooses not to try. 

Edited by PetermansRedemption
  • Like (+1) 1

Quite surprised at NY and MI governor races.  Surprised Michigan demands another four years of Whitmer.  Surprised the crime isn't yet bad enough in NY to try someone different.   It'll be interesting to see if Caruso can win in LA.  

In hindsight, I shouldn't be surprised at the Fetterman win here because I strongly suspect he'll resign in short order come 2023 and Governor Shapiro will install his wife as the senator.  I think that's "the" plan.  

This referenda on abortion carries an expensive cost.  I don't think the majority of America that aren't millionaires realize that this time next year, you're not only going to continue getting strangled by high prices for food and energy, your 401s will be eaten alive simultaneously, and you may not have a job.  

53 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Wonder if we see further Balkanization of the country after last night.  

I know plenty of New Yorkers who have stated they will look at moving south if Zeldin can’t win … looks like he can’t even make it a nail biter.  

Same in Michigan… and obviously we see Cali R’s/Indies fleeing to Idaho, Nevada, AZ and Texas.   

Pennsylvanians should just stay in PA… dumbest electorate in the country.   Being led by Shapiro and Fetterman because they let Trump sell them on Mastriano and Oz is what they deserve. 

Electing a guy with brain damage and Joke saying he plans on shutting down coal tells you all you need to know about the intelligence level of Pennsylvanians.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, dpberr said:

Quite surprised at NY and MI governor races.  Surprised Michigan demands another four years of Whitmer.  Surprised the crime isn't yet bad enough in NY to try someone different.   It'll be interesting to see if Caruso can win in LA.  

In hindsight, I shouldn't be surprised at the Fetterman win here because I strongly suspect he'll resign in short order come 2023 and Governor Shapiro will install his wife as the senator.  I think that's "the" plan.  

This referenda on abortion carries an expensive cost.  I don't think the majority of America that aren't millionaires realize that this time next year, you're not only going to continue getting strangled by high prices for food and energy, your 401s will be eaten alive simultaneously, and you may not have a job.  

Yeah but who cares when you can kill a baby once it's able to be viable outside the womb?  The soul of a nation, you know...

16 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/los-angeles-mayors-race-bass-caruso-too-close-to-call/

What I can't figure out that, in this day of modern technology, it still takes 5-7 days to count ballots.

Depends on state law and competency. 

Some states allow for mail-in votes to be prepped for counting before election day and some allow them to actually be counted before election day. Those kinds of states are generally able to get the results in quickly on Election Day or the following day.

Other states don't allow anything to be done with the mail-in ballots until election day. They sit in boxes as unopened mail and have to be prepped and counted while the state is also conducting election day activities. Those states tend to take longer, especially if there are significant numbers of mail-in ballots.

18 minutes ago, dpberr said:

As a vehement supporter of balanced power, I sure hope republicans realize that forcing their beliefs about conception and life onto others legislatively can overpower economic problems.

It explains why some governor races and state level races went blue, while polling was artificially red (some people get a lot more pro choice behind the curtain than on the phone) 

So yeah democrats ran on trump and abortion and are pretty happy with the outcome. 

• Eyeroll 1

So I went to sleep at 11:00 Arizona time last night and Katie Hobbs was leading Kari Lake by 5 percentage points in the governor’s race. Hobbs was well on the way to winning. In fact, she DID win. 
And then I wake up this morning and there’s half a percentage point between Hobbs and Lake. They kept “finding” Lake  votes overnight, and they’ll keep finding Lake votes. This election was rigged. It was rigged.*

*The United States if Democrats acted like Trump. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

As a vehement supporter of balanced power, I sure hope republicans realize that forcing their beliefs about conception and life onto others legislatively can overpower economic problems.

It explains why some governor races and state level races went blue, while polling was artificially red (some people get a lot more pro choice behind the curtain than on the phone) 

So yeah democrats ran on trump and abortion and are pretty happy with the outcome. 

Its definitely a regional issue.  

Kemp signed one of the strictest abortion laws in the country and smoked Stacey Abrams (who ran mainly on abortion)

DeSantis signed 15 weeks … won by 20 points. 

We’ll see how NV and AZ go.  

Ohio is a red state, so not much to glean there.  

Northern states though … Yea, R’s need to recalibrate their abortion messaging. 

27 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Both Whitmer and Hochul were favored to win headed into election day. The races were believed to be competitive due to the assumed pro-GOP environment but either losing would have been an upset.

This is obviously not the plan. Absolutely nobody (other than you, I guess), will be surprised when this does not happen.

Ralston saying Nevada looking red for both races

NYT reporting there’s still tons of mail in ballots to count, so we shall see

Looks like Lake is now favored in AZ, will see if Masters can close the gap 

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Ralston saying Nevada looking red for both races

NYT reporting there’s still tons of mail in ballots to count, so we shall see

Looks like Lake is now favored in AZ, will see if Masters can close the gap 

I don’t understand the lag on the mail in votes.  I assume a good majority of them were mailed some time ago. Or do they not start the counting until Election Day?  🤷🏻‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I don’t understand the lag on the mail in votes.  I assume a good majority of them were mailed some time ago. Or do they not start the counting until Election Day?  🤷🏻‍♂️

Depends on the state:

image.thumb.png.f097e7efdd3c9fa13a774d45202f4a74.png

I'm hoping we will have an answer in Nevada soon since they should have been counting the mail-in ballots as they came in.

However, the other factor that's not on the chart is when mail-in ballots are acceptable. I think for many it's just that they have to be postmarked by election day, meaning that they will still be getting valid ballots in over the next couple of days as the mail is delivered. In that case, they'll have to estimate how many votes they should expect to see over the next couple of days before making a decision in a close race.

Just now, ChiGoose said:

Depends on the state:

image.thumb.png.f097e7efdd3c9fa13a774d45202f4a74.png

I'm hoping we will have an answer in Nevada soon since they should have been counting the mail-in ballots as they came in.

However, the other factor that's not on the chart is when mail-in ballots are acceptable. I think for many it's just that they have to be postmarked by election day, meaning that they will still be getting valid ballots in over the next couple of days as the mail is delivered. In that case, they'll have to estimate how many votes they should expect to see over the next couple of days before making a decision in a close race.

Thanks.  What are your thoughts?  I go back and forth.  I would understand processing and counting when they arrive but I also understand the need to wait.  The results could get our ahead of Election Day if they counted sooner.  

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Thanks.  What are your thoughts?  I go back and forth.  I would understand processing and counting when they arrive but I also understand the need to wait.  The results could get our ahead of Election Day if they counted sooner.  

The thing we often forget is that the states are not making election calls right now. They won't until all of the counting is done, and in some cases, they'll do audits and/or recounts as well, before certifying the election.

What we are currently seeing is media outlets making projections based on the election data. I do not know how they should calculate potential outstanding ballots in heavy mail-in ballot states. That level of knowledge and math is beyond me. 

At this point, best bet is to just wait and see.

Also, (I realized I didn't actually answer your question) I think they should count them ahead of time. The states that do that don't release any results until the end of Election Day anyway since that could impact the vote. But when they do release the results, they can include everything that came in before election day.

Edited by ChiGoose
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BillStime said:

What is hilarious is you're too stupid to understand that this is what most people against Roe V Wade wanted to happen. States to decide their rights. 

Funny, when it's convenient people want states rights.

We are so ***** as a country but please don't reply. I won't waste my time interacting with you. Just pointing out how the many people saw it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1