Why do some Bills fans refuse to have confidence in this team?

BillsFan619

We will be fine. 

Our Opponents W-L total for the season so far is 50-33. 

We have a +99 Point differential throughout that stretch.  The best in the NFL (pending the eagles game final, they are +90)

For some context, here are Miami and KC's.  The teams I think most people would consider our main roadblocks to home field.

Miami 45-37

Pt Dif: +11    Obviously, that is not a fair representation of their capabilities when healthy with Tua.  I am just pointing out the facts so far this season

KC 40-44-1

Pt Dif: +64     What we are thought was going to be a juggernaut of a division is proving to be more of a cakewalk for the Chiefs and the entire AFC East is over 500.

We are playing a First Place Schedule and the results are still there.  6-3 through 9 games played. Beat all 3 other AFC divisional leaders so far.  We still have a chance to split with the Jets and the Dolphins when we get them at home.

I think the Bills will rattle off a few wins in the coming weeks and people will look back to the past two weeks and realize they were 3 point losses against pretty good football teams.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

36 minutes ago, QCity said:

Where did I ever say you did?

I need you to understand that just because someone is critical of an aspect of the team, it doesn't necessarily mean they lack confidence in the team.

I hear ya, bro (and I'm not just saying that).

Some of my main thoughts were that it's hard to understand why some will pick out one strength from the opposing team or one weakness from us and they’re worried about that instead of choosing to be confident in the nine strengths we do have going into a certain game against a middling team. We may even lose that type of game from time to time but it doesn't mean you can't have confidence.

Or, some want to fire coaches (McD has the best winning percentage in our history currently) even though most SB teams have a rough stretch during SB seasons. As Von said, the Rams lost three in a row in their SB season. How many Pats teams started .500 but went on to win the SB or go far in the playoffs?

Or, some want players dumped, traded or benched when even the greats go through rough patches every season. Just this year, PM threw a game sealing INT against us. Nobody was thinking he still couldn't be a winner just because that happened.

So to your point, you can be critical and confident but the overreaches (not saying you're overreaching) seem a bit much with how good of a team we have. This team is at a level where we can have a level of confidence when we play inferior or average opponents (even though we'll lose these games at times). And, we're definitely a good of enough team to where everything doesn't have to be questioned or burned down because we go through a rough stretch in a season.

Hopefully that makes sense, bro. Good back and forth.

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, gtw3 said:

We will be fine. 

We have a +99 Point differential throughout that stretch.  The best in the NFL (pending the eagles game final, they are +90)

For some context, here are Miami and KC's.  The teams I think most people would consider our main roadblocks to home field.

Miami 45-37

Pt Dif: +11    Obviously, that is not a fair representation of their capabilities when healthy with Tua.  I am just pointing out the facts so far this season

KC 40-44-1

Pt Dif: +64     What we are thought was going to be a juggernaut of a division is proving to be more of a cakewalk for the Chiefs and the entire AFC East is over 500.

We are playing a First Place Schedule and the results are still there.  6-3 through 9 games played. Beat all 3 other AFC divisional leaders so far.  We still have a chance to split with the Jets and the Dolphins when we get them at home.

I think the Bills will rattle off a few wins in the coming weeks and people will look back to the past two weeks and realize they were 3 point losses against pretty good football teams.

I'd like to see them show they can beat the afc east teams before believing they are going to be fine.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CoudyBills said:

I'd like to see them show they can beat the afc east teams before believing they are going to be fine.

And if we went undefeated in the AFC East like we did year before last but lost games outside of the AFC east you would be saying you wanted to see that

On 10/26/2022 at 6:37 PM, Maybe Someday said:

My guess is a once bitten twice shy kind of thing. 

If you’re referring to the fact that we haven’t been able to get over the hump to the Super Bowl yet with a Josh Allen lead team I think that’s arrogance because this team has been very good for several new years now there’s absolutely no reason not to have confidence in this team would you rather that we be a middling eight and 8 for 10 years straight?

we have a chance to win the Super Bowl a realistic chance every single year for the last two years and this year and we’re probably going to have realistic chances now that we have Josh Allen for several years to come there is no reason for people to be down on this team

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I think you're missing the significance of the "1 score" statistic.

Like, entirely.

The 1 score statistic you took from 1 season but refuse to acknowledge that even this season we are 2-3? Just stop spinning a narrative out of a stupid statistic generated from clearly anomaly year.

2018 - 3-3

2019 - 4-6

2020 - 6-1

2021 - 0-6

2022 - 2-3

Meanwhile 2 score games:

2018 - 3-7

2019 - 6-1

2020 - 9-3

2021 - 12-1

2022 - 4-0

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, benderbender said:

Which team is that? The one that lost to Arizona on a hail mary from a 5'7" baseball player? Maybe the one who lost with a lead and 13 seconds left? Or the one who made the Mona Lisa of crapping the bed on Sunday? 

Bills fans can be so soft. To equate 2 of those with 13 seconds, group them together into a montage of whining sarcasm is just soft. Last years loss was brutal. The Cardinals/Vikings losses were ***** happens.

3 hours ago, CoudyBills said:

How can this be the last loss of the season, and a roller coaster ride at the same time?

I don't know after hail Murray 6 straight wins of bigger and bigger point differentials was an exciting ride.

Chargers +10

49ers +10

Steelers +11

Broncos +29

Patriots +29

Dolphins +30

Edit: Ha I just noticed we had our 3rd loss this time that year too and I remember how everyone was bitching about how bad the team was.

"We didn't beat anyone of substance, just beating up our division, wahhhh"

"we are barely winning any games. Rams, Dolphins, Raiders, Jets, Patriots, were all one score games! They could have gone either way, wahhhh!"

"we were a bad dpi away from losing to the rams wahhhh"

"the top two teams KC and Tennessee stomped us, wahhhh"

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

The 1 score statistic you took from 1 season but refuse to acknowledge that even this season we are 2-3? Just stop spinning a narrative out of a stupid statistic generated from clearly anomaly year.

2018 - 3-3

2019 - 4-6

2020 - 6-1

2021 - 0-6

2022 - 2-3

Meanwhile 2 score games:

2018 - 3-7

2019 - 6-1

2020 - 9-3

2021 - 12-1

2022 - 4-0

You left out 2017 when we were 5-2 in 1 score games.  Amazes me we were 3-3 in the horrid 2018 season.

We were good at this 2017 - 2020.  In fact its what turned us from a 7-9 year after year to a playoff team.

Not sure what happened.  I think maybe we have been figured out.

But I think McDermott will figure it out. He's a smart coach.  We seem to go through a rough patch midway through the season only to right the ship and make the playoffs and actually win playoff games the last 2 years.

Trust the Process

Thread gets resurrected after Sunday's debacle, where they blew a 17 point lead at home-- in the most inconceivable way possible. It is the game of the year, though (maybe the decade). Seems like the Bills have been in a few of those games. How many have they won?

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, gtw3 said:

We will be fine. 

Miami 45-37

KC 40-44-1

In both cases we beat ourselves rather than we’re beaten. A positive in that we should be able to turn it around, but mentally we don’t look prepared, and haven’t since the second half of the Steelers game.

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

And if we went undefeated in the AFC East like we did year before last but lost games outside of the AFC east you would be saying you wanted to see that

If you’re referring to the fact that we haven’t been able to get over the hump to the Super Bowl yet with a Josh Allen lead team I think that’s arrogance because this team has been very good for several new years now there’s absolutely no reason not to have confidence in this team would you rather that we be a middling eight and 8 for 10 years straight?

we have a chance to win the Super Bowl a realistic chance every single year for the last two years and this year and we’re probably going to have realistic chances now that we have Josh Allen for several years to come there is no reason for people to be down on this team

I was just referring to the overall fact that we've had a lot of memorable/crushing losses over the years which makes some people a little hesitant to go all in.  For some, the fear of getting hurt again overrides the joy of falling in love. 

Also, that was just a general reply to the basic question being asked of why do some lack confidence, not specific to myself.  I have the same love and confidence for this team that I always do.  

• Like (+1) 1

This year is very different, we have key missing personnel & players, and it's very doubtful we will overcome these issues' because of our coaching deficiencies.

1) Micah Hyde is not available for this year.  Poyer's continued injuries have become a issue this year.

2) Daboll is gone.  Daboll was an still is better OC than Dorsey.

3) Even more reluctance to run the ball this year. Hines, Motor, Cook and we don't even utilize their talent.   This is seriously a pathetic problem to have.

4) Coaches have not learned from the last 4 years.  We see it more and more as of late.  Bad coaching, no adaptation capability is even more of a problem.

5) To little experience at CB,  Tre might not even make it back this year,  The clock is against him and we still have yet to see how he will perform once he plays again.

6) Injuries this year have been worse and Buffalo doesn't seem to be able to stay healthy.  This is a major issue.  This team is to old at key positions.

7) Josh is forcing the ball to much.  He has become a detriment in the Red-zone with turnovers alone.   JA17 has 6 Red-zone turnovers in the last 2 years. More than any other NFL player.   Josh has thrown 10 or more int's in the last 4 seasons.  It is becoming a real issue that is costing us games.

The reluctance to blitz when needed and adjust on defense,  and lack of run diversity on offense over the past 4 years has become a pattern.

This undermines this teams chance to adapt even more on game day when it's needed.

Everyone has caught on to what we do on offense and because we have no diversity with our OC in the current system,  good D teams can shut our team down.

We will never win a Super bowl if we can't learn to run the ball besides JA.  JA17 is one hit away from this team going nowhere.  This year is proof that he is not immune to injury, he is not Superman.

Sorry it is what it is with this team.  We can be unbeatable in one game and then head scratching bad in other games.

This model does not promote confidence to win in the post season, much less win a Super bowl this year.

Edited by Toyo321
  • Agree 1

Confidence in team is not fully justified. Allen can be wildfire and turnovers and defense meltdowns are a fact we've all observed.

We recall the Bills of old and the Bills have truly gone through some *****. Not going to rehash what's been said. 

What's not merited is

delusion and panic

This differs than the healthy lack of confidence Bills fans have, and really any NFL team fans should have. It's hard to win the SB it's hard to win games. No one is perfect. Even the '85 Bears lost their QB and had off days. We're not the 85 Bears.

Look how many of the past 12 SB winners were beat 5+ times in a season. It's quite a few. 

This Bills team is good. We have a good shot, and we're a solid team. Let's just take some deep breaths and enjoy. The teams the bills have lost to are 22-6. We probably won't win the SB ...fine...but we have a shot. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Exactly. At the time, I was doing all of the calculus on a safety…but who knew they’d find even a better way to screw it up? Brilliant!

I would have been good if he got the handoff and was blown up into the end zone for a safety. At least then it was because Vikes made a great play. Fumbling the snap for a TD was too much

That doofus Nick Wright just killed me.

Of course he says the Bills/Minnesota (regular season) game and Bills/KC (playoff) game were arguably the two greatest games in NFL history.  And anyone who is a Bills fan must be crushed that Buffalo had a 99% chance to win both games very late and a 1% chance to lose...., and lost them both.  

So about that confidence thing?!?...

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

That doofus Nick Wright just killed me.

Of course he says the Bills/Minnesota (regular season) game and Bills/KC (playoff) game were arguably the two greatest games in NFL history.  And anyone who is a Bills fan must be crushed that Buffalo had a 99% chance to win both games very late and a 1% chance to lose...., and lost them both.  

So about that confidence thing?!?...

Well, Nick is right, but nobody really takes him seriously.  He is a caricature of the sports media.  That might be his schtick and people under 25 must love him but he is a joke.  10 years from now he will most likely cringe when he see's old clips of himself.

I think a lot of it has to do with Mc's record against playoff/teams with winning records.

To his credit he's 3-3 so far this year, but there are also 5 games left against similar teams (Pats x2, MIA, NYJ, CIN) which is reason for serious concern and doubts about where this team is ultimately going to finish. And assuming you win against the 3 teams left with bad records right now (DET/CHI/CLE) and go 3-2 in the others, that's still only a 12-5 finish which is likely not good enough for the division title and a WC spot at best.

Bottom line, this team really needed to seize the opportunity this year and be a 13/14 win team at minimum to have a real shot at the #1 seed but based on what we've seen since the KC game 12-5 is being very optimistic at best.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.