NFL Week 7 - Around the NFL - Gameday thread (Bills have bye)

BuffaloBill

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

No I wasn't impressed. Miami looked pretty bad. The Chargers, Jets, and Balt didn't look great either. Also, it's more important how you look going into the playoffs not week 7. Thus far,  KC and Buffalo look like they are in a league of their own. 

I hear you but there's something to the team wins when Tua is under center. No one is focusing on Tua's poor play so long as the Dolphins win. 

Teams will follow Pittsburgh's blueprint. They held Miami "explosive" offense in check. Should've had 4 INTs

1 hour ago, Dr. K said:

Watch out for Cincinnati. They are going to be hard to beat for the rest of the season. 

Atlanta has the worst pass defense in the NFL and the second worst pass rush. Cincinatti lives and dies by the big pass play. When Burrow gets pressure and when they are forced to win without the big play, they struggle.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

How embarrassing was it for Jacksonville yesterday. I realize there are many people from NY/NJ who move to Florida but that game yesterday was a Giants home game from a fans perspective. Had to be at least 75% Giants fans.

I'm in West Palm Beach area, and this is effectively NYC South.  There are ENORMOUS numbers of New Yorkers living here either full time, or during "Season" starting around now.  The snow birds.  The Jets/Yankees/Giants hats and those brutal accents start showing up. 

Anyway, Jacksonville isn't like that so much; it's much the "true" FL up there and red neck land.  People speak with southern accents and what not.  New Yorkers aren't going into that atmosphere so much.

Which makes the crowd situation all the funnier.  I suspect NYers from all over the state who care about football made the drive to enjoy the game, and I suspect tickets are cheap and easy to get.

1 hour ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

It was a travesty. Jacksonville arent there to build a successful NFL franchise. They're there so people pay the NFL to watch their team beat the ***** out of Jacksonville. 

In all fairness, all sports leagues are FILLED with franchises that are just happy to be there, and are NOT really concerned with winning.

The Sabres and Bills are two good examples of such franchises, for MOST of their history.

Buffalo sports fans should know what I'm writing about.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Teams will follow Pittsburgh's blueprint. They held Miami "explosive" offense in check. Should've had 4 INTs

The blueprint is already out. Pitt didn't do anything special. Tua is limited in what he can do. Other teams know their offensive system is quick passes primarily between the numbers. The real issue is stopping Hill and Waddle. Both are very explosive. Tua's passes were off for the most part and didn't hit them in stride. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

The blueprint is already out. Pitt didn't do anything special. Tua is limited in what he can do. Other teams know their offensive system is quick passes primarily between the numbers. The real issue is stopping Hill and Waddle. Both are very explosive. Tua's passes were off for the most part and didn't hit them in stride. 

Pittsburgh LBs restricted their between the hashes passes. Strung them out more toward the sideline eliminating much of the YAC. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

Yep. Tua has played 18 quarters of football. 30% of the total points scored,  36% of total TDs, and 45% of his passing TDs came in one quarter....

That is with Hill and Waddle both playing great and putting up big numbers.

You could put up a highlight reel just of dropped interceptions by opposing teams.

This is still a team that, with or without Tua, has managed to put up over 21 points in a game just once, and it took a complete 4th quarter meltdown by the Ravens for that to happen.

• Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Yep. Tua has played 18 quarters of football. 30% of the total points scored,  36% of total TDs, and 45% of his passing TDs came in one quarter....

You could put up a highlight reel just of dropped interceptions by opposing teams.

This is still a team that, with or without Tua, has managed to put up over 21 points in a game just once, and it took a complete 4th quarter meltdown by the Ravens for that to happen.

Can't wait to see Tua's arm talent in late December in the elements. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Yep...

First of all, that's pretty well inexcusable for the Pitts DBs.  No one expects a DB to have WR hands (or he'd play WR) but 0 for 5 is super-dilute Weak Sauce.

Cost Pitt the game.

Second, drove me NUTS that I didn't hear one single solitary simple little drop of criticism for this from Collinsworth & crony.

Not.  A. Drop.  WTF is up with that?  Also inexcusable IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

So going back and watching highlights, I couldn't believe how the Dolphins seemed to have one play - the deep slant or in route - that they ran repeatedly. To his credit, Tua is very good at hitting them. But it was so predictable after a while and I think Pittsburgh was finally able to take it away. Tua simply can't make quick reads past that. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

First of all, that's pretty well inexcusable for the Pitts DBs.  No one expects a DB to have WR hands (or he'd play WR) but 0 for 5 is super-dilute Weak Sauce.

Cost Pitt the game.

Second, drove me NUTS that I didn't hear one single solitary simple little drop of criticism for this from Collinsworth & crony.

By the 5th one they did kind of have to talk about it a bit.

I hadn't seen that video of all of Pitt's dropped INTs, sheesh. 

Yeah, I don't really see it with Tua. He's fairly accurate with the short and intermediate stuff, doesn't have the strongest arm, has a little mobility and seems to still need a lot of work with pre and post snap reads. 

But the media wants so badly to make this kid a superstar. The hype all off-season was insane. It reached a point where I was like, if this kid throws for any less than 6000 yards and 60 TDs everyone will label him a bust. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

True but the team is 4-0 with Tua starting. Not sure what it's worth but they win when he's in. 

20 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Cost Pitt the game.

LMAO! Wallace had a rough night catching the ball...then hurt himself after hitting the ground hard on the last one...

"Almost Intercepted" is heard repeatedly in that clip...

18 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

By the 5th one they did kind of have to talk about it a bit.

OK, but did they actually talk about it from the point of view of Tua making risky or off target throws, or was it all about he Pitt DBs dropping them?  'Cuz I heard the latter and not the former but I will admit that I'm not the most careful listener when Collinsworth is talking

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

LMAO! Wallace had a rough night catching the ball...then hurt himself after hitting the ground hard on the last one...

"Almost Intercepted" is heard repeatedly in that clip...

Right, but see above.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

So going back and watching highlights, I couldn't believe how the Dolphins seemed to have one play - the deep slant or in route - that they ran repeatedly. To his credit, Tua is very good at hitting them. But it was so predictable after a while and I think Pittsburgh was finally able to take it away. Tua simply can't make quick reads past that. 

Exactly. Take those routes away and force Tua to throw outside the numbers, and he will collapse like a cheap tent. 

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

OK, but did they actually talk about it from the point of view of Tua making risky or off target throws, or was it all about he Pitt DBs dropping them?  'Cuz I heard the latter and not the former but I will admit that I'm not the most careful listener when Collinsworth is talking

Right, but see above.

I'm not sure...they were both bad throws and drops...the first one was inaccurate and the WR only could get a hand on a high and behind throw and tipped it up to the DB, the others were just bad throws into coverage.

5 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I hadn't seen that video of all of Pitt's dropped INTs, sheesh. 

Yeah, I don't really see it with Tua. He's fairly accurate with the short and intermediate stuff, doesn't have the strongest arm, has a little mobility and seems to still need a lot of work with pre and post snap reads. 

But the media wants so badly to make this kid a superstar. The hype all off-season was insane. It reached a point where I was like, if this kid throws for any less than 6000 yards and 60 TDs everyone will label him a bust. 

He's a likeable young man. I wouldn't mind him doing well if he wasn't in the Bills division. The guy realistically should have been drafted in the late 2nd to 4th round. Since he played for Bama and was hyped up he obviously found a home in Miami way way too early in the draft. What a collasel blunder. However, it's easy after the fact to say. Look at Baker, Rosen, Bradford, and the numerous Bills misses. The Dolphins have to give Tua a chance because of where he was drafted. Brian Flores could see Tua was not the future and he was ousted for not playing Tua. I suspect after Tua's rookie contract he will be out of football or a nice back up story. The guy just oozing of mediocrity. 

7 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Sounds pretty impressive if you didn't actually see the games he won...

So true. However, the bottom line is winning and im sure the Miami fan base is singing his praise and being optimistic. We Bills fans did it with Trent Edwards similarly. 

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

So true. However, the bottom line is winning and im sure the Miami fan base is singing his praise and being optimistic. We Bills fans did it with Trent Edwards similarly. 

Winning is the bottom line and I give him that. And I certainly don't have any problem with Miami fans believing in their QB or their team.

I'm just saying, given his talent at WR in a scheme that perfectly fits his few strengths, it might be one of the least impressive 4-0 stretches of QB play I have seen in a while.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Fields is horrible. He makes Tua look like an all pro. 

It’s not that he’s horrible, it’s that the Bears are not playing to his strengths. He needs to play in a system like Lamar is in Baltimore to be successful. NFL coaches keep trying to turn guys that have only run single-read spread offenses into traditional NFL QBs. It’s never going to work.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

It’s not that he’s horrible, it’s that the Bears are not playing to his strengths. He needs to play in a system like Lamar is in Baltimore to be successful. NFL coaches keep trying to turn guys that have only run single-read spread offenses into traditional NFL QBs. It’s never going to work.

I don't think a team is willing to do that. You basically have to retool your whole offensive system to do that. Think the Denver Broncos and Tim Tebow. It's just a very very difficult way to win. Not really mondern day football. It's almost like a college like style that really doesn't work in the NFL. Lamar is pretty successful but he too has limitations. They have been exposed in the playoffs vs good teams. Fields is not an average passer. He is not going to be starting for long. 

2 hours ago, Bimmer323i said:

I don’t get how some people have the Eagles ahead of us in the power rankings…. What just because there undefeated or something… Idk i guess everyone is intitled  to there own opinion…

It's because of just that....being undefeated.

But a smart man would look at who they played and ask if they'd be still be undefeated if they played the same schedule so far as the Bills and the answer would be no.

I still think they are going to be this years version of the Cardinals last season especially since I don't think Hurts is even as good as Murray which isn't saying much.

12 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I don't think a team is willing to do that. You basically have to retool your whole offensive system to do that. Think the Denver Broncos and Tim Tebow. It's just a very very difficult way to win. Not really mondern day football. It's almost like a college like style that really doesn't work in the NFL. Lamar is pretty successful but he too has limitations. They have been exposed in the playoffs vs good teams. Fields is not an average passer. He is not going to be starting for long. 

I'm not going to argue with you because your point is correct. Justin Fields is not an NFL QB. But it's part of a larger problem. HS and college coaches are not paid to develop talent for the NFL. They are paid to win games. And what wins on all levels of football except for the NFL is single-read spread/air raid offense. That's what Justin Fields ran at Ohio State with great success. Kyler Murray is still running that in AZ. Last night Tua won a game but I don't think that he ever came off his first read. Some guys are able to make the transition to a pro-style offense where the QB has to run through his progressions, but scouts and GMs have no way of knowing if they will. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I'm not going to argue with you because your point is correct. Justin Fields is not an NFL QB. But it's part of a larger problem. HS and college coaches are not paid to develop talent for the NFL. They are paid to win games. And what wins on all levels of football except for the NFL is single-read spread/air raid offense. That's what Justin Fields ran at Ohio State with great success. Kyler Murray is still running that in AZ. Last night Tua won a game but I don't think that he ever came off his first read. Some guys are able to make the transition to a pro-style offense where the QB has to run through his progressions, but scouts and GMs have no way of knowing if they will. 

Fair post. That type of game wins at a HS or college level. However, it won't win consistently in the NFL. The defenses are too good and that system is just too basic. Offenses need several threats, weapons, and a variety which keeps defenses honest. Fields doesn't have it. However, your initial post is correct about the Bears and Fields. They are trying to make him a pocket passer which he is almost certain to fail. I'd go a step further and say that's an issue with Hackett and Wilson. Wulson no longer uses his legs to run and extend plays. That would allow him to complete big passes down field. He can throw the ball too. Denver has used him solely as a pocket passer. Bad coaching.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.