Welcome back QB Sneaks

Motioning a man behind the QB to push him on sneaks is brilliant.

I've been reading "How Football Became Football", about the history and evolution of the sport. In it, I learned that players pushing their teammates from behind to help them gain more yardage used to be a big part of the game of football. Some players even sewed little loops onto their pants for their teammates to grab and help push or pull them forward.

We've been seeing more and more of offensive linemen and other teammates pushing ball carriers forward in recent years. Since, at this moment, there's no rule against it, it's very wise to scheme up a guy behind the QB, pushing him forward on sneaks. Expect this to be copied by other teams going forward.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Have to say it was a welcome sight to get back to at least two QB sneaks in yesterday's game in short yardage and I hope it continues.  I liked seeing the motion man be a pushing agent on that play.  One yard or less should never be a hinderance to this team.

Agree

• Agree 1

Go look at Philly.. They showed during the game last night they’re like 16-18 on 3rd and 1 or something doing those sneaks. Same thing they line up quick with receivers stacked in the backfield to push. They quickly no huddle it and know to get in formation almost immediately. It’s almost unstoppable. Cowboys were getting as low as humanly possible and jumping over the top and still weren’t even close to stopping it. 

• Like (+1) 2

NEW RULE:  on 3rd or 4th and short, don't start the play by first pitching the ball back 6 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

NEW RULE: when ball is inside the 5 yard line, ALL PLAYS are JOSH RUNS WITH OPTION TO PASS until the touchdown is scored.

NEW RULE: Keep these rules until they consistently don't work anymore

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The new added wrinkle to prevent slip ups and give some extra push is Davis using his 225 lbs as basically an extra driver behind Allen was brilliant.

Wouldn't be surprised if we see Knox and/or Gilliam in similar roles at some point out of differing formations 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

Have you seen what the Eagles have been doing with 1 yard to go? They have 2 guys behind Hurts pushing him and they have like a 75% success rate. 

The Eagles have a big strong QB too.

Oh wait, so do we.  There's no reason we couldn't line up in that smash mouth set too.  We would HAVE to be better trying that then the endless 3rd and 1 failures.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bills2022 said:

The Bills got away from the sneak because of one slip in the Titans game.  Make sure Allen has the right shoes and keep sneaking the ball. 

I see people say a lot that Josh slipped on that sneak.  The reason the sneak failed was because the DT lined up in exactly the right gap where the Bills had run like their 12 previous sneaks.  At the snap the DT just exploded straight ahead into the gap, Dion had no chance to get any leverage on him, and Josh ran straight into the DT like a brick wall - once he hit the wall, then his spikes "slipped".  The play did not fail because he slipped - it failed because the Bills got too predictable running the play to the exact same spot each time and the defense knew it and filled that gap perfectly.  I have to believe at this point they have more variance on where the play can go based on Josh recognizing where the D is lined up at the snap

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1

Honestly, I'm not sure why that isn't the 3rd & 1 play every time.  Allen got those 1st downs easily. No reason to get cute.  

When we were playing Brady's Pats, we knew every time that he was going to sneak it, and he got it pretty much every time (I remember one time he fumbled, but otherwise it was successful against us).

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Motioning a man behind the QB to push him on sneaks is brilliant.

I've been reading "How Football Became Football", about the history and evolution of the sport. In it, I learned that players pushing their teammates from behind to help them gain more yardage used to be a big part of the game of football. Some players even sewed little loops onto their pants for their teammates to grab and help push or pull them forward.

We've been seeing more and more of offensive linemen and other teammates pushing ball carriers forward in recent years. Since, at this moment, there's no rule against it, it's very wise to scheme up a guy behind the QB, pushing him forward on sneaks. Expect this to be copied by other teams going forward.

i gave that move a standing ovation watching it live.  in the future it may give away what the play call is....which could lead to a play action td pass if we set it up during the season. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Bandito said:

Josh needs to keep doing Josh things. His legs are a weapon that we finally are seeing him use again.

Yeah, but he can’t be out of control like he was on two plays yesterday.  Turning your back to a defender in an attempt to gain another yard is not a good decision.   Hurdling over a defender to end up out of control is not a smart move.  Fun to watch but not smart.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

16 hours ago, Big Turk said:

The new added wrinkle to prevent slip ups and give some extra push is Davis using his 225 lbs as basically an extra driver behind Allen was brilliant.

Wouldn't be surprised if we see Knox and/or Gilliam in similar roles at some point out of differing formations 

Davis is 225??? Says he is listed as 210. 

18 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Have to say it was a welcome sight to get back to at least two QB sneaks in yesterday's game in short yardage and I hope it continues.  I liked seeing the motion man be a pushing agent on that play.  One yard or less should never be a hinderance to this team.

I love it too. But the problem with the motion man is it tips off when the snap is going to happen.

They are going to have to mix it up. Maybe put this on film then in a key spot (playoffs?) when you need it motion then hard count to try to get a jump.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.