Spotlight on Roger Saffold---WTF is he doing on the 98 yard TD pass?

Big Turk

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Nope, but I majored in it for 2 years at a top 10 Meteorology School before switching majors. 

Does that make me an expert?

No.

Does that mean I know a hell of a lot more than the average person walking around?

Yes.

Much like your other takes, I would pump the brakes. I went to the #1 meteorology school and my best friend is a meteorologist in a top 30 market as well as an Emmy award winner. But I wouldn't go around boasting like you do. I mean, for starters you think Zach Moss deserves more carries. 

• Eyeroll 1

41 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

Much like your other takes, I would pump the brakes. I went to the #1 meteorology school and my best friend is a meteorologist in a top 30 market as well as an Emmy award winner. But I wouldn't go around boasting like you do. I mean, for starters you think Zach Moss deserves more carries. 

Hahaha, I wasn't going to chase tornadoes my Senior year...that was a no go for me.

I'm not sure about more carries, but I do find it interesting that people don't seem to understand one of the biggest roles RB's have in this offense is in Pass Pro and Moss is by far the best blocking RB we have for that.  Actually one of the best in the NFL.  So for that reason alone, he is on the team, regardless of what people think of him as a back.

Edited by Big Turk

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

I believe it because Buffalo is near water, which will usually be warmer than the surrounding land and help keep temps warmer than they otherwise would be.  KC is surrounded by land, so they don't have that benefit even though they are further south.  When I was in Ohio, some of the coldest temps I have ever been in were in this little town called Mount Gilead which was in the middle of nowhere about 45 minutes north of Columbus and it would regularly be like -5 or -8 there in the mornings when I left for work. Fingers felt like fish sticks they were so cold and my bones hurt.  Could not imagine living in places like Minnesota, North Dakota or even places in NYS like Watertown or Lake Placid where it routinely gets in the --20s and -30s without wind chills in the winter---AND they get Buffalo amounts of snow on top of it, unlike most of the other colder places in the upper Midwest.

Yup.  The Lake can keep the air warmer and as we know, can also drop a ton of fat fluffy snowflakes.  

2 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Yup.  The Lake can keep the air warmer and as we know, can also drop a ton of fat fluffy snowflakes.  

And as we found out a week or so ago, drop a bunch of rain as well during this time of year more rarely

2 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

A January game in KC will not be warm.  Believe it or not, Buffalo's average temperatures in January are only slightly lower than KC's.  

Aren't you sick of losing playoff games at Arrowhead?  We need the game to be played at home.   

Just engaging in some divergent thinking. Potentially deviant... as I was kinda looking forward to getting spanked on that one!! LOL!

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

They need to put Bates back to LG where he belongs and have Quessenberry start at RG. Instant upgrade at 2 positions without having to make a trade.

I'd like to see them move Bates back too.  Either try Quessenberry or if I were to make any trades , I'd put guard before many other positions

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

It's a half slide protection. Basically you lock the backside tackle (RT) and every other Offensive Lineman is responsible for the gap to their left. The Backs will insert backside B gap looking inside/out. Saffold is responsible for the left side B gap - when he see's the defender back up at the snap he is no longer a B gap threat and so he works to double to his gap. Morse is ultimately responsible for passing off his block to Bates so that he can work to that left side A gap if something shows.

Is it always so rigid that players aren't allowed to improvise in an obvious situation like this? Clearly it's a delayed blitz and clearly Dawkins and Morse are occupied and holding their blocks. So why wouldn't Saffold slide back to the blitz gap instead of wandering around in space?

Or is this actually Morse's fault for not shifting even though he was already engaged before the blitz came?

Edited by MPT

6 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I believe it because Buffalo is near water, which will usually be warmer than the surrounding land and help keep temps warmer than they otherwise would be.  KC is surrounded by land, so they don't have that benefit even though they are further south.  When I was in Ohio, some of the coldest temps I have ever been in were in this little town called Mount Gilead which was in the middle of nowhere about 45 minutes north of Columbus and it would regularly be like -5 or -8 there in the mornings when I left for work. Fingers felt like fish sticks they were so cold and my bones hurt.  Could not imagine living in places like Minnesota, North Dakota or even places in NYS like Watertown or Lake Placid where it routinely gets in the --20s and -30s without wind chills in the winter---AND they get Buffalo amounts of snow on top of it, unlike most of the other colder places in the upper Midwest.

I’d actually rather deal with the cold in Fargo or Sioux Falls than Buffalo or Rochester winters. The 20°-35° and humid absolutely murders all the metal in my bones. 

9 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Beane really needs to stop dumpster diving in regards to the IOL.  A 1st or 2nd round pick on a guard who can transition to center would be nice…and then another OG on Day 3. 

Two words - Cody Ford - 2nd round pick.  It’s not about the round of the pick, it’s about performance.  I wonder if maybe that’s the one area Beane doesn’t evaluate well….your thoughts.  

7 hours ago, extrahammer said:

Interesting that you say you wouldn't go around boasting directly after you go around boasting about going to the number one school and having a buddy who is a meteorologist lol... And the only reason he said anything about his meteorology credentials in the first place was because you called him out on not having any. Get a grip.

Edited by Bills Survivor

10 hours ago, FireChans said:

Roger Saffold flat out SUCKS.

may be the worst player on offense

He & Ryan Bates have dominated  the bottom position grades on the all 22 coaches film.  Chiefs D line will be the best we have faced this year.  

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Nope, but I majored in it for 2 years at a top 10 Meteorology School before switching majors. 

7 hours ago, extrahammer said:

Can we please name the 2 schools concerned so the TBD experts can make their own judgement as to who actually went to the better Meteorology school...

By the way.. were either of you guys on a football scholarship? Now that would be impressive...

8 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Can we please name the 2 schools concerned so the TBD experts can make their own judgement as to who actually went to the better Meteorology school...

By the way.. were either of you guys on a football scholarship? Now that would be impressive...

St Louis University is where I went and Oklahoma was the other one I was referencing...as a senior you had to chase tornados as part of the requirements as the National Tornado(Weather now?) Center was based in Norman as well and on the OU campus. Never happening.

This was 30 years ago so I am not sure how the rankings are now. I would assume OU would still be an excellent school for that.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

It's a half slide protection. Basically you lock the backside tackle (RT) and every other Offensive Lineman is responsible for the gap to their left. The Backs will insert backside B gap looking inside/out. Saffold is responsible for the left side B gap - when he see's the defender back up at the snap he is no longer a B gap threat and so he works to double to his gap. Morse is ultimately responsible for passing off his block to Bates so that he can work to that left side A gap if something shows.

Exactly. The defender takes a step back initially making it look like he is dropping in coverage and then comes on a delay. Seems like Saffold did what he was supposed to do.

7 hours ago, kjack151 said:

Two words - Cody Ford - 2nd round pick.  It’s not about the round of the pick, it’s about performance.  I wonder if maybe that’s the one area Beane doesn’t evaluate well….your thoughts.  

I saw that Greg Little, the player taken by Carolina just before Ford, is starting at Right Tackle for the Dolphins.  I remember the "embedded" where they showed the Draft Room and there was relief that Carolina took Little and not Ford.  

14 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Between Howard, Crowder and Saffold the Bills get a big F for their offensive FA acquisitions…. Good thing Josh is incredible.

Pretty selective choices there. I've criticized Beane a fair amount, but its unfair to list a guy that breaks his ankle and a starting OG. Also you conviently left out Morse, Beasley, Williams, and Sanders who all played well for times in their Bills careers. And of course you narrow it to just offense which leaves out Poyer, Hyde, Phillips and Miller. No doubt he has had his misses in FA like PED Murphy and Star. Every GM does. 

6 hours ago, Bills Survivor said:

Interesting that you say you wouldn't go around boasting directly after you go around boasting about going to the number one school and having a buddy who is a meteorologist lol... And the only reason he said anything about his meteorology credentials in the first place was because you called him out on not having any. Get a grip.

200.gif

19 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Watching the reverse angle on that play and Allen is pretty close to being sacked for a safety due to Saffold going to double team nobody and leaving a guy in front of him with a clear path to the QB.  

Now, granted, this could have been how they decide to block it up because Bates has nobody to block(the Steeler player in front of him doesn't rush and kind of just stands there and Morse ends up sort of coming off his block to get a piece of that defender, but it was more like he steered the Pittsburgh defender he was blocking into the way of the other guy and bumped him off course.  That defender actually gets a hit on Allen on the play but it doesn't matter because...well Josh Allen is freaking Josh Allen.

Just seems really weird to block it up like that when Dawkins had his man stonewalled...I would have to think Saffold was supposed to block the dude that hit Allen on that play??

@HoofHearted any thoughts?

Well initially he can't go block that guy or it's ineligible man downfield. He probably assumed the guy was there to spy and not rush Allen, and went to help Dawkins. But yeah, lucky that he stayed home as long as he did.

11 hours ago, MPT said:

Is it always so rigid that players aren't allowed to improvise in an obvious situation like this? Clearly it's a delayed blitz and clearly Dawkins and Morse are occupied and holding their blocks. So why wouldn't Saffold slide back to the blitz gap instead of wandering around in space?

Or is this actually Morse's fault for not shifting even though he was already engaged before the blitz came?

Morse's/Bates - Bates should overtake Morse's guy and Morse should be free to then work to the extra rusher.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Morse's/Bates - Bates should overtake Morse's guy and Morse should be free to then work to the extra rusher.

So theoretically Bates is the guy who is just kinda in No Man's Land on this play...he doesn't really do much of anything other than put one arm on Morse's player but isn't in position to take over for the block so Morse almost "Do Si Do's" the player he is blocking into the delayed blitzer which buys the half second Allen needs to get the pass off.

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

So theoretically Bates is the guy who is just kinda in No Man's Land on this play...he doesn't really do much of anything other than put one arm on Morse's player but isn't in position to take over for the block so Morse almost "Do Si Do's" the player he is blocking into the delayed blitzer which buys the half second Allen needs to get the pass off.

Bates is alright initially - punch to your gap. Morse gets squared up on the guy after Bates punch which is really the issue - he needs to keep his left arm free in order to work off to the second level defender if he rushes. The pocket is fairly clean - there's a clear path for Josh to be able to step up into - he just didn't.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.