Spotlight on Roger Saffold---WTF is he doing on the 98 yard TD pass?

Big Turk

Watching the reverse angle on that play and Allen is pretty close to being sacked for a safety due to Saffold going to double team nobody and leaving a guy in front of him with a clear path to the QB.  

Now, granted, this could have been how they decide to block it up because Bates has nobody to block(the Steeler player in front of him doesn't rush and kind of just stands there and Morse ends up sort of coming off his block to get a piece of that defender, but it was more like he steered the Pittsburgh defender he was blocking into the way of the other guy and bumped him off course.  That defender actually gets a hit on Allen on the play but it doesn't matter because...well Josh Allen is freaking Josh Allen.

Just seems really weird to block it up like that when Dawkins had his man stonewalled...I would have to think Saffold was supposed to block the dude that hit Allen on that play??

@HoofHearted any thoughts?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Watching the reverse angle on that play and Allen is pretty close to being sacked for a safety due to Saffold going to double team nobody and leaving a guy in front of him with a clear path to the QB.  

Now, granted, this could have been how they decide to block it up because Bates has nobody to block(the Steeler player in front of him doesn't rush and kid of just stands there and Morse ends up sort of coming off his block to get a piece of that defender, but it was more like he steered the Pittsburgh defender he was blocking into the way of the other guy and bumped him off course.  That defender actually gets a hit on Allen on the play but it doesn't matter because...well Josh Allen is freaking Josh Allen.

Just seems really weird to block it up like that when Dawkins had his man stonewalled...I would have to think Saffold was supposed to block the dude that hit Allen on that play??

Looks like a delayed blitz.

Peeburgh does that a lot. Without a man in front of him Saffold tries to help out Dawkins.

Not sure if the protection scheme is designed that way or just a bad adjustment by Saffold or another OL player.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4

It seems to be Minkah has a read on that play.  If Saffold stays focused on him, Minkahdoesn't go.  Saffold didn't see Minkah coming on a blitz and then turns to help out Dawkins.  Once Minkah sees him move towards Dawkins, he then goes.

Allen has pretty good protection most of the day yesterday.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

This is why I'm glad we have coaches and not fans running the team. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4
  • Dislike 1

16 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Now, granted, this could have been how they decide to block it up because Bates has nobody to block(the Steeler player in front of him doesn't rush and kid of just stands there and Morse ends up sort of coming off his block to get a piece of that defender, but it was more like he steered the Pittsburgh defender he was blocking into the way of the other guy and bumped him off course.  That defender actually gets a hit on Allen on the play but it doesn't matter because...well Josh Allen is freaking Josh Allen.

It's a half slide protection. Basically you lock the backside tackle (RT) and every other Offensive Lineman is responsible for the gap to their left. The Backs will insert backside B gap looking inside/out. Saffold is responsible for the left side B gap - when he see's the defender back up at the snap he is no longer a B gap threat and so he works to double to his gap. Morse is ultimately responsible for passing off his block to Bates so that he can work to that left side A gap if something shows.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 5

5 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Beane really needs to stop dumpster diving in regards to the IOL.  A 1st or 2nd round pick on a guard who can transition to center would be nice…and then another OG on Day 3. 

He was a big time FA signing. Just a whiff 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Second to Ryan Bates

Bring back Ike!

29 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Now, granted, this could have been how they decide to block it up because Bates has nobody to block(the Steeler player in front of him doesn't rush and kind of just stands there and Morse ends up sort of coming off his block to get a piece of that defender, but it was more like he steered the Pittsburgh defender he was blocking into the way of the other guy and bumped him off course.  That defender actually gets a hit on Allen on the play but it doesn't matter because...well Josh Allen is freaking Josh Allen.

YOU do know it was b.c it was a delayed blitz so his job was 1 then 2, 1 didnt move so he went to 2.

I'm not trying to dismiss that perhaps and maybe he messed up, but I mean like ya said maybe it was drawn up like that or maybe a delayed blitz. I'm happy things worked out the way they did though. What a game. 0 sacks and what?....like 3 pressures all game. I think the dudes did good.....Pass pro

Edited by Goin Breakdown

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.