Trade Deadline (Nov 1) Bills Rumors / Speculation

Warriorspikes51

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Someone tweeted at Joe Buscaglia claiming to have a source in the building at OBD that we are going to be making a blockbuster trade sending our 1st for an RB

IF that were true, what do you guys think?

1st, Moss for Saquon Barkley, 4th

1st, Moss for Christian McCaffrey

my darkhorse would be Dalvin Cook

does anyone know if $ can be retained on a deal? Or how does that work

Someone tweeting at Joe Buscaglia needs to make better ***** up.

bottom to top:

Yes, dollars can be retained on a deal.  For example, this happened with Mayfield to the Panthers.

No, Beane is not going to trade a first round pick for a half-year rental of an almost 26 yr old RB who is due $7.2M in salary for this season, then hits FA next season.  Especially, he's not going to make that trade for an RB who has had 2.25 good seasons in 4.25 years. 

In case you haven't been paying attention, the Giants are 3-1 and, to turn the culture around, Daboll ideally needs to replicate what McDermott did: lead them to a winning record and perhaps a playoff appearance if 9-7 will get you there.  Barkley is responsible for about 60% of their offense, and trading him would make that impossible.

In contrast, down in Carolina Matt Rhule is in his 3rd season and is nearing "Stand and Deliver" time (if he isn't already there).  McCaffrey is currently close to 40% of their offense, and Scott Fitterer would really need a bodyguard (and a damned good reason) if he starts holding a fire sale.   From the Bills side, McCaffrey is under contract for 3 more years, but at $11.8-$12M/yr.  With Josh Allen's salary about to take off, and the need to keep paying Diggs, start paying Knox, and keep paying our OLas well as D  - we can not afford this.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Someone tweeting at Joe Buscaglia needs to make better ***** up.

bottom to top:

Yes, dollars can be retained on a deal.  For example, this happened with Mayfield to the Panthers.

No, Beane is not going to trade a first round pick for a half-year rental of an almost 26 yr old RB who is due $7.2M in salary for this season, then hits FA next season.  Especially, he's not going to make that trade for an RB who has had 2.25 good seasons in 4.25 years. 

In case you haven't been paying attention, the Giants are 3-1 and, to turn the culture around, Daboll ideally needs to replicate what McDermott did: lead them to a winning record and perhaps a playoff appearance if 9-7 will get you there.  Barkley is responsible for about 60% of their offense, and trading him would make that impossible.

In contrast, down in Carolina Matt Rhule is in his 3rd season and is nearing "Stand and Deliver" time (if he isn't already there).  McCaffrey is currently close to 40% of their offense, and Scott Fitterer would really need a bodyguard (and a damned good reason) if he starts holding a fire sale.   From the Bills side, McCaffrey is under contract for 3 more years, but at $11.8-$12M/yr.  With Josh Allen's salary about to take off, and the need to keep paying Diggs, start paying Knox, and keep paying our OLas well as D  - we can not afford this.

how about McCaffrey restructured? 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Someone tweeted at Joe Buscaglia claiming to have a source in the building at OBD that we are going to be making a blockbuster trade sending our 1st for an RB

I’d say either Beane snuffed out a mole in the building, OR they’d need to be trading for a potential RB stud with more than one year left on their rookie deal.  The Bills would need to be really high on someone like Najee or Etienne, and then maybe they’d toss in someone like Moss in the deal.  No way should they trade a first round pick for an RB in the last year of a contract.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

People act like first round picks are always for Josh Allen and never for Aaron Maybin.  If Barkley could be obtained, along with a contract extension, for a first it would be an easy decision. 

Barkley and CMC are no brainers for me. An element that makes us unstoppable. 

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

TRADE a 1st for a RB? You don’t even use a 1st on drafting a RB anymore. Who is this “someone” because he or she is FOS.

do people not understand that half (probably more than half) of the Bills running game problems is the offensive line? I know Moss ain't great but Singletary is a perfectly fine RB1 in this league and on this team. 

Edited by JoPoy88

5 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Josh Jacobs would be a lot cheaper in both compensation to LV and salary. He's only 24 and on an expiring contact.

Then, try to sign Beckham and use a 1-3rd round pick if to upgrade the o line (if an opportunity presents itself).

This. Jacobs can actually fit under our current cap and the Raiders are about to bottom out so moving on from a player with an expiring contract will be the right move for them. He is no Saquon but can grind out tough yards behind a poor OL like the Raiders have.

For a first?  No way Beane would be that dumb.  Would go completely against his entire philosophy of value.

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

If we did that for Mcaffrey…it’d be an awesome move. He could add an element to our offense that could make us indefensible. All firsts are not equal and at this point, ours should most likely be in the 30’s. It could be the move that pushes us over the top for a Super Bowl and if that happens, none of us are going to give a ***** about the draft. That’s just the reality. All that being said: I bet no chance it actually happens 

Just what we need…another guy on IR

5 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

oh well if big dick nick is putting it out there it must be true. Close this thread please.

Close the thread why? Did you not read the title? It says Trade Deadline Rumors / Speculation. If you don’t like it, don’t bother posting. 

No one said it was true. 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

Who are we cutting? His cap hit over the next two years (2023 and 2024) 19.5 million dollars. 

Regardless if someone thinks we may or may not make a trade for him, the cap issue isn't as bad as people think and your cap info here is not accurate.  First, he already restructured his contract this year, so his cap hit this year is a min base salary.  Then the acquiring team is responsible for just $12M a year for the remaining 3 years because the guarantees also stay with the Panthers.

BUT...$12M a year is still a lot, however, Bills can cut him with no cap hit if the injuries persist or he flames out.  There is also still the option to redo his deal as well, and might even be something arranged before the trade if we were to include a premium pick.  

Not saying we are trading for him, just saying most people have the cap info about this potential trade wrong.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 4

58 minutes ago, Pete said:

I agree our most pressing need is a quality guard.  Bills need a short yardage back too.   Beane has constructed this roster so masterfully, thats the only two areas we could have big improvement IMO.  Saquan and/or ODB are buttercream frosting on cake.  D gets all the big signings and high draft pick.  Josh has been a good boy.  Lets get him some toys!

salary cap is an temporary illusion, easily manipulated 

Not when they've already restructured most of the big contracts they can, are a projected $7.5M over the cap next year, and have our own free agents to try and re-sign on top of that.

Edited by Billz4ever

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Regardless if someone thinks me may or may not make a trade for him, the cap issue isn't as bad as people think and your cap info here is not accurate.  First, he already restructured his contract this year, so his cap hit this year is a min base salary.  Then the acquiring team is responsible for just $12M a year for the remaining 3 years because the guarantees also stay with the Panthers.

BUT...$12M a year is still a lot, however, Bills can cut him with no cap hit if the injuries persist or he flames out.  There is also still the option to redo his deal as well, and might even be something arranged before the trade if we were to include a premium pick.  

Not saying we are trading for him, just saying most people have the cap info about this potential trade wrong.  

oh wow, thank you I did not know that his cap hit this year was minimum base

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Close the thread why? Did you not read the title? It says Trade Deadline Rumors / Speculation. If you don’t like it, don’t bother posting. 

No one said it was true. 

I’ll say whatever I want within the rules of the forum chief. The guy saw a reply to Joe B who has 44 followers on twitter. Not remotely close to a legitimate source and not worthy of even entertaining.

• Thank you (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

If you're hell bent on trading a first to Carolina, do it for Moore 

DJ Moore is languishing down there with the corpse of Baker as QB. With the injuries, I’d take Moore in a second

EDIT: IF we could afford him.

Edited by JoPoy88

10 minutes ago, mannc said:

We just used a second round pick on RB, and he’s barely gotten a chance to play.  No way we’re investing more at that position.

I get where you are coming from...but GM's don't (and shouldn't) think that way.  I am not even talking about the RB spot or if we will or not make a trade.  In general, the goal is to win a SB...what we have or haven't used draft picks on prior to today has no relevance to what they see today as a need to upgrade to increase our chances for a SB.

And we already know Beane doesn't think like this because if he did he wouldn't have used a 2nd round pick on a DE one year and then the next used a 1st and a 2nd back to back again on DE.  Same with RB...he is taken a RB in 3rd, 3rd, and 2nd rounds in each of the last 3 drafts.  

You do what you need to do until you have filled that hole the way you wanted to.  Now none of this means we are making a trade, I don't know how McD and Beane feel about the RB position here right now.  What I do know is that they are not using our personnel correctly thus far...too few rush attempts for our best RB in Devin, too many snaps for Moss, and not enough opportunities for Cook.

Before I would make a trade, I would make Moss inactive, give Devin 15 carries and cook 5-7 targets in a game and see what they do with them.  Because Devin has been effective consistently when given chances his whole career, but they keep forcing this 2 headed non-sense with Moss who is inferior to Devin in every facet of the game.  

And Cook has not been give much chance to shine yet other than garbage time against Titans where he did pretty well.  But that is also because he fumbled his first snap and then dropped an easy pass too.  But let the kid get some rhythm and confidence before we know if we need to make a trade.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I get where you are coming from...but GM's don't (and shouldn't) think that way.  I am not even talking about the RB spot or if we will or not make a trade.  In general, the goal is to win a SB...what we have or haven't used draft picks on prior to today has no relevance to what they see today as a need to upgrade to increase our chances for a SB.

And we already know Beane doesn't think like this because if he did he wouldn't have used a 2nd round pick on a DE on year and then the next use a 1st and a 2nd back to back again on DE.  Same with RB...he is taken a RB in 3rd, 3rd, and 2nd rounds in each of the last 3 drafts.  

You do what you need to do until you have filled that hole the way you wanted to.  Now none of this means we are making a trade, I don't know how McD and Beane feel about the RB position here right now.  What I do know is that they are not using our personnel correctly thus far...too few rush attempts for our best RB in Devin, too many snaps for Moss, and not enough opportunities for Cook.

Before I would make a trade, I would make Moss inactive, give Devin 15 carries and cook 5-7 targets in a game and see what they do with them.  Because Devin has been effective consistently when given chances his whole career, but they keep forcing this 2 headed non-sense with Moss who is inferior to Devin in every facet of the game.  And Cook has not been give much chance to shine yet other than garbage time against Titans where he did pretty well.  But that is also because he fumbled his first snap and then dropped an easy pass too.  But let the kid get some rhythm and confidence before we know if we need to make a trade.  

All that is true, and they certainly are trying to win it this year, but their window is longer than that. And Beane’s not going to cripple other units on a flyer on a running back.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

For a half season rental?  Come On, Man!  He's a free agent at the end of this season.  

You could franchise tag him fairly cheap 

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

There's no point trading a 1st for a RB is our O Line isn't going to give him space to run into. Singletary and, especially, Moss do a fine job running into opposition players as it is.

Yeah well, some of us believe that actual good RBs create their own space and opportunities 

3 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

All that is true, and they certainly are trying to win it this year, but their window is longer than that. And Beane’s not going to cripple other units on a flyer on a running back.

I am not saying we are making a trade, I was just pointing out, the trade is more doable than people realize because they are grossly inaccurate on the real cap hits.  

One one thing I have learned is to NEVER count out Beane's ability to be creative with the cap to get the players here he wants and to retain the players here he wants to keep.  He has proven to me that he without question is amongst the best in the business in working contracts to work with our cap.

Something people are also over looking...the possibility and probability that Carolina will likely have to pay part of CMC's salary to trade him.  They won't save a ton off their cap, but will get his numbers off the books in future seasons.  And why would Car do that?  Because they are desperate for draft picks.  They only have 4 draft picks in 2023, including no 3rd and 5 picks in 2024 including no 4th.  They are staring down a major rebuild essentially without the ammo to do it.  So the higher value of CMC to Carolina right now is not on the field where its not helping them win games...but in moving him for pick(s) to help with the rebuild.  

So for me...anyone looking at the "cap" as the road block to a CMC trade doesn't really understand his cap hit and the options that are possible.  But more importantly, they are grossly overlooking Beane's abiltiy to figure that out when its for someone he wants on this football team.  None of this means we are trading for CMC, just means the "cap" panic around here is being over stated and not as unsurmountable as many think it is.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, marck said:

If I’m trading I’m looking for a top quality guard to best assist the running game

Who would that be and what would be the cost?  A 2nd? A 3rd?

It's a semi rhetorical question because teams don't often trade non-skillset players during the season. 

On paper or in the Madden video game, CMC or Saquon make a ton of sense. But in the real world i can't see making a commitment to 2 oft-injured RB's in a blockbuster trade, mortgaging high draft picks on them before the trade deadline. I just dont think its the answer here. We havent even made a commitment to run with the rb's we have now when its been successful. I'd rather spend the draft capital on shoring up our oline & drafting a rb on a cost controlled deal who can be the guy going forward.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.