James Cook is going to be a major problem

78thealltimegreat

28 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You’re not getting enough time in the NFL for a wheel route to get 50 yards down the field in the League

You split him wide pre play and he runs a 9 route on a LBr

Josh Allen buys time. A lot of it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, hemma said:

After yesterday, I’m starting to think the entire team is going to be a problem.

I’ve said it in other posts, and I’ll say it here, Dorsey wants everyone to be a threat to score points, it’s what this offense is morphing into, it makes defending this offense a freaking nightmare for D coordinators to deal with. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Josh Allen buys time. A lot of it.

No matter how much time any quarterback buys , The chances Pulling off a 50 yard air wheel route from the backfield in the NFL is slim

That’s Some thing that gets pulled off in madden

First that’s about a 70 yard route for cook

And in this man to man situation that you describe, When Josh Allen breaks out of the pocket to buy time… He would see nothing but green grass for 50 yards because everybody has their backs turned in man

He would just turn up field and run for 40+ yards 

https://www.nfl.com/videos/aaron-rodgers-drops-perfect-throw-in-to-aaron-jones-on-sluggo-route-for-50-yards

this is something that CAN happen in the league 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

It's hard not to be impressed with that.

The only thing that will keep Cook inactive on game day is if the team thinks he's still a liability in pass protection.

doubt that they are worried bc if it’s a blitzing situation he is just going to be a quick drop off pass in most situations which is dangerous bc of his speed and catching ability 

obviously he will stay in sometimes but if they see a tendency just throw a hitter 

2 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

I have this weird feeling about cook... That it almost seems like the bills are hiding him.

Between reports of how great he's looked, my own eyes telling me he's dangerous, and the fact he's a rookie but has gotten SO few touches in the preseason, makes me think maybe they are holding their cards close to the vest and he's in for major playing time this year.

Interesting that the rookie has less touches than the other RBs. Without looking at the stats, probably similar touches to Singletary but markedly less than moss (and of course blackshear).

I would not be entirely surprised if moss was a surprise cut.

I think there hiding what he's going to be in the passing game

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, mikemac2001 said:

doubt that they are worried bc if it’s a blitzing situation he is just going to be a quick drop off pass in most situations which is dangerous bc of his speed and catching ability 

obviously he will stay in sometimes but if they see a tendency just throw a hitter 

Yea but the majority of the time a 3rd down back is blocking and releasing … His job is to protect the quarterback first

If a team realizes they just send cook on a route every time off blitz… You literally blitz a slot corner off the edge and drop the End/OLB over cook in the flat 

Outside pressure and taking away the hot read… That’s why most backs block and release the majority of time to take away tendencies

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yea but the majority of the time a 3rd down back is blocking and releasing … His job is to protect the quarterback first

If a team realizes they just send cook on a route every time off blitz… You literally blitz a slot corner off the edge and drop the End/OLB over cook in the flat 

Outside pressure and taking away the hot read… That’s why most backs block and release the majority of time to take away tendencies

Ya that’s why I said he will stay in sometimes but he doesn’t have to be great at it. He was drafted to be a receiving back who can hurt the d he is a threat. 

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Wouldn’t it be a shocker of Singletary gets dealt because its a contract year and our depth is very good?

I doubt it. He’s the only proven workhorse back on this roster.   Probably not giving that up for a late round pick. 

Bills invested three years into him and want that contract year payoff season before some team that’s not paying their QB big money signs him in the off-season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, mikemac2001 said:

Ya that’s why I said he will stay in sometimes but he doesn’t have to be great at it. He was drafted to be a receiving back who can hurt the d he is a threat. 

I think his biggest threat will be when we motion him out wide in man2man 

He gets lined up outside the hashes with a linebacker one on one… stop and go , 9 route or Sluggo all day

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I think his biggest threat will be when we motion him out wide in man2man 

He gets lined up outside the hashes with a linebacker one on one… stop and go , 9 route or Sluggo all day

Yep -I’m excited about him he was my fav draft pick and looks so quick out there. Can’t wait to see how they use him. last year was so bad for our rbs on passing routes.

42 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Wouldn’t it be a shocker of Singletary gets dealt because its a contract year and our depth is very good?

Was thinking that the other.  Motor is easily or best rusher imo.  Moss is improved but I wouldn’t want to trade our best rb…. THIS season, of all seasons.  That would be cocky and we’d probably rue the day. 

Motor looks great.  

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

I have this weird feeling about cook... That it almost seems like the bills are hiding him.

Between reports of how great he's looked, my own eyes telling me he's dangerous, and the fact he's a rookie but has gotten SO few touches in the preseason, makes me think maybe they are holding their cards close to the vest and he's in for major playing time this year.

Interesting that the rookie has less touches than the other RBs. Without looking at the stats, probably similar touches to Singletary but markedly less than moss (and of course blackshear).

Singletary Moss and Cook/Gilliam

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

No chance Cook is a gameday inactive. He is going to be a big part of this offense and give the backfield some versatility that it's been sorely lacking the past couple seasons. Yesterday was just a taste. We haven't seen him split out wide or in the slot yet. If anything I expect him to be used more often early in games when we're running up the score, while Singletary and Moss will be the primary RBs late in game when we're running out the clock.

so dressing 3 RBs ?

1 hour ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Strange. My wife said the exact same thing to me

no she din't

3 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

It wouldn’t be a surprise at all. Moss is ballsagna.

• Disagree 1

26 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Was thinking that the other.  Motor is easily or best rusher imo.  Moss is improved but I wouldn’t want to trade our best rb…. THIS season, of all seasons.  That would be cocky and we’d probably rue the day. 

Motor looks great.  

agreed. lets play the season with a strong Backfield for once in a few years. If someone gets dinged we have a serious "next man up "
I love the running game. Team effort for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

@Doc disagreed with me too.  It's not that I don't want Cook dressing every game but if Jones, Kumerow, Matakevich and others dress

for ST only someone is put in the position not to dress.  History also shows McDermott will sit rookies more than others.

I don't want it to happen, I just think it will.

I can't see them inactivating Cook when a) they spent a 2nd rounder on him and b) he's shown something in pre-season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

I can't see them inactivating Cook when a) they spent a 2nd rounder on him and b) he's shown something in pre-season. 

He's a rookie.

Still much to learn
Thinking we we begin the season with Moss and Devin as starters. is proper etiquette anyways. they have earned that respect.
 Cook will get his chance, of that ? I have no doubt.

Maybe sit Gilliam for some situational matchups 😋

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

Agree.  I guess a better way to say what I was insinuating is I hope they buck the trend and dress 3 true RBs every game.

With a potential threat like Cook an argument can be made for dressing only 5 WRs.

I been saying they can keep 6 WRs without Kumerow and dress 5 for the games with Hodgins sitting to start.

I want that to happen so Cook dresses.  I get the ST thing (which is getting beaten to death), but it would be my choice.

I just don't know if McDermott and Beane are seeing it that way.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Agree.  I guess a better way to say what I was insinuating is I hope they buck the trend and dress 3 true RBs every game.

With a potential threat like Cook an argument can be made for dressing only 5 WRs.

I been saying they can keep 6 WRs without Kumerow and dress 5 for the games with Hodgins sitting to start.

I want that to happen so Cook dresses.  I get the ST thing (which is getting beaten to death), but it would be my choice.

I just don't know if McDermott and Beane are seeing it that way.

This is where I see i happening too. if it does (injury excluding ) If Cook can truly play WR  as motion or whatever ? 
so awesome to be stacked at RB with multiple skill sets for week to week matchups.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

I dont know how they can cut Moss, a productive "power" back on the 3rd year of his rookie deal.  

Cook was a "part timer " in college and I don't see him getting that many touches . I WAS impressed seeing him return kicks which increases his big play potential.

I might be in the minority but wouldnt mind if Taiwan Jones gets cut. 34 and the Bills are playing young guys on special teams. 

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Cook has looked pretty good. The only guy who has looked better is future hall of famer Raheem Blackshear.

Early in camp I was hearing about Blackshear as a sleeper roster addition and I can see it happening. In college he did it all: rushing, receiving, kick returns and kick coverage. 

I would hate to lose him.

56 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

He's a rookie.

Still much to learn
Thinking we we begin the season with Moss and Devin as starters. is proper etiquette anyways. they have earned that respect.
 Cook will get his chance, of that ? I have no doubt.

Maybe sit Gilliam for some situational matchups 😋

It would be incredibly odd for them to do that. I’m betting it doesn’t happen. 

12 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I wonder why they haven’t tried Cook at KR/PR?

He returned the first kickoff in the opener versus Colts and had that familiar "don't want to do this" look doing it.    ST's are mostly about "want-to" and that's why most of the good one's on ST are people who "need-to" rather than who are the most talented.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

He also adds an element they were targeting even back in FA with the guy from Washington. We needed a natural pass catcher, and more speed in the backfield. I want to see Cook take those seams where Singletary gets 10-15 yards…..and turn it into 7 points. Sorry defense, you’re back on the field. First world problems! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ddaryl said:

Preseason but we did look good all game

Given how the NFLPA has neutered off-season programs, decreased time in pads, and even decreased the number of practices that can held during camp, I think preseason games matter more than they’ve ever had. The days of Camp Marv and losing every preseason games are ancient history. Over the past 20 years, when we’d lose all preseason games, say the sky was falling, but then say it was “just preseason” ended up being very off the mark. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.