OT: Belichick says that Mac's improvement is "dramatic"

Success

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I don't think he understands the concept of high floor, low ceiling like Alex Smith.

Especially when people get to see the difference between him and Josh Allen twice a year. And let's be honest, it's a stark difference in physical talent. Jones is Clark Kent to Allen's Superman and there is no phone booth on the sidelines or locker room for Jones to go in to transform.

Couple this with the disaster that will be Patricia and Judge acting as defacto OCs this year and lack of skill position talent still and I find it hard to see how Jones has a better year than he did last year under McDaniels who while potentially being a total douchebag and poor HC, is a pretty damn good OC.

He is what he is. A good game manager that doesn't have the physical ability to force teams to respect him the way they do Allen or Mahomes or Herbert.

Not saying he can't have a long career and be very successful during the regular season, he can. Chiefs had the best record in the NFL over the near decade that Smith was their QB in the regular season. But we all saw how his lack of physical ability was exposed during the playoffs. Reid didn't win the Super Bowl until Mahomes was his QB.

Sure he might have some limited success early on in the playoffs but unless he has an unbelievable team surrounding him like the 2000 Ravens or Broncos had with Peyton Manning, they won't be winning the SB because of him.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/ex-nfl-gm-chooses-patriots-qb-mac-jones-sneaky-2022-mvp-pick

Who cares? why do some Bills fans get triggered by anything that is said about the Patriots. This means nothing until he actually has a MVP season on the field,  no different then Allen having a MVP season on the field

32 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I don't think he understands the concept of high floor, low ceiling like Alex Smith.

Especially when people get to see the difference between him and Josh Allen twice a year. And let's be honest, it's a stark difference in physical talent. Jones is Clark Kent to Allen's Superman and there is no phone booth on the sidelines or locker room for Jones to go in to transform.

Couple this with the disaster that will be Patricia and Judge acting as defacto OCs this year and lack of skill position talent still and I find it hard to see how Jones has a better year than he did last year under McDaniels who while potentially being a total douchebag and poor HC, is a pretty damn good OC.

He is what he is. A good game manager that doesn't have the physical ability to force teams to respect him the way they do Allen or Mahomes or Herbert.

Not saying he can't have a long career and be very successful during the regular season, he can. Chiefs had the best record in the NFL over the near decade that Smith was their QB in the regular season. But we all saw how his lack of physical ability was exposed during the playoffs. Reid didn't win the Super Bowl until Mahomes was his QB.

Sure he might have some limited success early on in the playoffs but unless he has an unbelievable team surrounding him like the 2000 Ravens or Broncos had with Peyton Manning, they won't be winning the SB because of him.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/ex-nfl-gm-chooses-patriots-qb-mac-jones-sneaky-2022-mvp-pick

• Like (+1) 1

I'm starting to think that many sports channels/publications purposely have a few of their pundits spread these positive vibes around the league to attract more hits from both...

1.) Fans of sed team/player

2.) Click bait for fans of other teams/player haters who can't resist.

I truly belive its being directed from above for capitalistic reasons, because it works. 

And it's ok... because fans of team/player who are receiving these positive opinions deserve to have some pundits believe, because who knows...it could happen one of these days!

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Jones seems to have some kind of halo effect with some in media, especially old timers. It seems like they view him as the perfect old school cerebral accurate QB. Personally I find it laughable. Kind of like longing for the days of the Model T with these guys like Charlie Weis and Mike Tanenbaum.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

With Jones, a rookie (from Bama, no less), NE foguth for the Division title to the end of the season and won 10 games, made the playoffs. 

With Herbert, 2 3rd place finishes, one winning season (9 wins in a 17 game season), zero playoff games.

• Haha (+1) 1

Mike Tannenbaum has brain damage so it isn't surprising to see him say stupid things.

The season can not start fast enough.

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

With Jones, a rookie (from Bama, no less), NE foguth for the Division title to the end of the season and won 10 games, made the playoffs. 

With Herbert, 2 3rd place finishes, one winning season (9 wins in a 17 game season), zero playoff games.

Imagine if people just looked at win total and not how the QB actually plays, it would look like this.

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Mike Tannenbaum has brain damage so it isn't surprising to see him say stupid things.

The season can not start fast enough.

Imagine if people just looked at win total and not how the QB actually plays, it would look like this.

that's not the point.  Jones added value to NE, when few thought he would.  The Herbert pick hasn't produced the desired result for LA yet--they have yet to win 10 games. 

• Disagree 1

34 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Come on man. Be better. We are talking physical ability. Jones was hidden on the Patriots during key moments and in key games as much as possible. Use some damn context.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

I think that because of the Patriots dominance of the NFL for a couple of decades there are people that who are delusional. They believe that New England is an elite organization. I suppose Mac Jones could be a dark horse for MVP, not really going out on a limb there. My problem is I don’t buy the cult status given that organization. I think most of their success was because of Brady. Bill Belichick is a good coach, but he is the quintessential micro manager. The Patriots and Mac Jones will be mired in mediocrity. Belichick is that organization, there is no succession plan. Does anyone think the Patriots ownership can duplicate what they had with Brady and Belichick?

Mac Jones will be a serviceable NFL QB and will start for the Pats as long as Belichick is coaching there.  As soon as he retires and a new regime comes in they will move on from Jones and he will become a professional clip board holder bouncing around the league for a few years padding his bank account.  Some say his ceiling is Drew Brees.   I don't agree with that, but even if for the sake of argument you agree with that, what kind of career does Brees have without Sean Payton creating that offense around him?   Brees had Payton to help elevate his game, Jones doesn't even have a real OC this year.  The contrast couldn't be greater.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Come on man. Be better. We are talking physical ability. Jones was hidden on the Patriots during key moments and in key games as much as possible. Use some damn context.

They used him appropriately and effectively.  See the Bills game.  I’m saying he outperformed expectations.

Herbert doesn’t belong in a top 5 discussion yet.  Maybe this year.. 

Even listing him as a dark horse candidate seems like a bad take. As the OP said, if Mac is a dark horse candidate then essentially every marginal QB penciled to start the season is a dark horse candidate. 

To me a few  true dark horse candidates are Tua, Lance and Jameis Winston. And to a lesser extent or even darker dark horse candidates I would throw in Fields and Lawrence. I'm not sure either of those two have teams around them that are talented enough though to truly win their division. And winning ones division really is one of the first requirements of any MVP candidate. 

Buffalo should easily win their division this year which is why I think a team like New England with marginal talent at QB and really the rest of their roster will not have an MVP candidate. Tua is a dark horse candidate though simply because of the addition of Hill to go along with a second year Waddle. Plus they have a new head coach and offensive game plan so who knows they could catch lighting in a bottle while playing a third place schedule as opposed to the Bills first place schedule. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.