OT: Belichick says that Mac's improvement is "dramatic"

Success

17 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Mac Jones will be a serviceable NFL QB and will start for the Pats as long as Belichick is coaching there.  As soon as he retires and a new regime comes in they will move on from Jones and he will become a professional clip board holder bouncing around the league for a few years padding his bank account.  Some say his ceiling is Drew Brees.   I don't agree with that, but even if for the sake of argument you agree with that, what kind of career does Brees have without Sean Payton creating that offense around him?   Brees had Payton to help elevate his game, Jones doesn't even have a real OC this year.  The contrast couldn't be greater.

To bolster your point a little, Breed was benched in SD for a 41 year old Flutie and was mediocre at best there. Many forget Brees is more of a "system" QB then Josh or Mahomes are. And before anyone jumps on it, system QB is not an insult from me.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

With Jones, a rookie (from Bama, no less), NE foguth for the Division title to the end of the season and won 10 games, made the playoffs. 

With Herbert, 2 3rd place finishes, one winning season (9 wins in a 17 game season), zero playoff games.

LOL!  Belicheat would trade Jones for Herbert is a millisecond.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Belichick calling Superman’s phone booth only to find out he is already playing for the Bills

Whenever I’m feeling blue, I just put this and the YouTube of him tossing the iPad into the garbage on a loop.  Then I start singing this..

Here’s to another season where our goal needs to be BB destroying some form of technology in both Bills games.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They used him appropriately and effectively.  See the Bills game.  I’m saying he outperformed expectations.

Herbert doesn’t belong in a top 5 discussion yet.  Maybe this year.. 

They hid him. Call it what it was.

Allen was allowed to throw the ball all over the place and did so quite effectively for the conditions in the second half. That deep throw to Diggs in there endzone that got held up slightly in the wind but hit him in the upper arm over two defenders was one of the best throws you'll ever see factoring in conditions.

Jones has no prayer of being able to throw in those conditions.

He got exposed in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Rodgers won the MVP and didn’t win a playoff game.  Jones doesn’t have to win the SB to be a dark horse candidate.  

The Patriots and Jones would have to win the division for him to be a true candidate by the end of the season. Pretty much every QB that has won the MVP in the last 15 years, perhaps more has been a #1 or #2 seed. I imagine every single one has at least finished atop their division. Simply making the wild card will not be enough to be a legitimate MVP candidate. 

Allen's played well the last two seasons while winning the division each year. While he finished second in MVP voting in 2020, the vote count was not even close. So despite Allen putting up numbers that Mac could probably only dream of AND finishing first in the division two years running Allen still has not been close to winning the MVP by vote count. 

On paper it appears the Patriots have taken a step back while the Dolphins have taken a step forward. 

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I don't think he understands the concept of high floor, low ceiling like Alex Smith.

Especially when people get to see the difference between him and Josh Allen twice a year. And let's be honest, it's a stark difference in physical talent. Jones is Clark Kent to Allen's Superman and there is no phone booth on the sidelines or locker room for Jones to go in to transform.

Couple this with the disaster that will be Patricia and Judge acting as defacto OCs this year and lack of skill position talent still and I find it hard to see how Jones has a better year than he did last year under McDaniels who while potentially being a total douchebag and poor HC, is a pretty damn good OC.

He is what he is. A good game manager that doesn't have the physical ability to force teams to respect him the way they do Allen or Mahomes or Herbert.

Not saying he can't have a long career and be very successful during the regular season, he can. Chiefs had the best record in the NFL over the near decade that Smith was their QB in the regular season. But we all saw how his lack of physical ability was exposed during the playoffs. Reid didn't win the Super Bowl until Mahomes was his QB.

Sure he might have some limited success early on in the playoffs but unless he has an unbelievable team surrounding him like the 2000 Ravens or Broncos had with Peyton Manning, they won't be winning the SB because of him.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/ex-nfl-gm-chooses-patriots-qb-mac-jones-sneaky-2022-mvp-pick

Ummm, that's some fairly revisionist history regarding Alex Smith

He played in KC for 5 seasons (2013-2017) and compiled a 50-26 record.  They made the playoffs 3 of those years, and their best season with him at QB was 11-5

During that same timeframe, Tom Brady was 60-16

Peyton Manning's last 5 seasons, he was 55-16

I get the comparison somewhat, but Mac Jones hasn't shown even the physical ability that Alex Smith had in his career.  There's a reason why he was the #1 overall pick in 2005

To me, Mac Jones is more like a Chad Pennington - cerebral, accurate, but you knew what his ceiling was going to be VERY early on in his career

Chad Pennington - 44-37 record, 102 TD's, 64 INT's, 66% completions, and went 2-4 in the playoffs for teams that were usually good but never great

• Agree 1

I was so happy they took Mac. They are locked into mediocrity. It’s hilarious how teams buy into Bama qbs. Which nfl qb won’t look amazing at Bama in college? There is not one thing he does well. He is a meh dude who’s absolute pinnacle is maybe Kirk Cousins. And that might be a huge reach. Just so average in so many ways. 

56 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Hey Kurt Warner was an MVP, maybe he will pull a Kurt Warner.

Did you watch Kurt?!!! I am biased because the guy is one of my all-time favorite humans in the league, but he had incredible talent. Mac will NEVER be as good as Kurt was.

2 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Jones seems to have some kind of halo effect with some in media, especially old timers. It seems like they view him as the perfect old school cerebral accurate QB. Personally I find it laughable. Kind of like longing for the days of the Model T with these guys like Charlie Weis and Mike Tanenbaum.

This is what I think. He does check a lot of old school boxes. GMs loved him because you knew exactly what you were getting. People in NE are expecting a second year leap, but there is no where for him to go. Any flaws in his game that could be improved by coaching were corrected at some passing academy a decade ago.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Pats fans have been talking this way about the guy all offseason.  They're worse than I was w/ Tuel.

Jones seems like a nice dude, and capable QB - but I have never wanted to see a player fail as much.  The hype is ridiculous. "They've got their Montana/Young situation!"  "He's already the best QB from that draft!"  "Better rookie season than Brady!"

Keep an eye on him when he doesn't have a clean pocket.  Scouts get paid for a reason.  Most pro-ready - lowest ceiling.

23 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Did you watch Kurt?!!! I am biased because the guy is one of my all-time favorite humans in the league, but he had incredible talent. Mac will NEVER be as good as Kurt was.

I love Kurt Warner also and he was a 1 in a billion shot, maybe I should be more specific, to discuss things like that as possible you should truly discuss punt god as OROY candidate

Tannebaum's arguments were all about why the Patriots will do better than people think.  Even if all comes to fruition, it is highly doubtful that Mac Jones will get credit for "two great running backs" or outstanding scheming from Belichek.  In any case, nothing that would usually make people think that the QB is the main reason is their success.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

No reason to compare him to Allen.  He doesn’t think jones will win the mvp, rather is a “dark horse” candidate.

The pats are seen as a 💩 team this year by most (other than Tannenbaum).  If things go right for the Pats and they have success and make the playoffs he thinks Jones will be their driving force and the reason for their success.  We may have dominated him last year, but he was still a good QB.  

Rodgers won the MVP and didn’t win a playoff game.  Jones doesn’t have to win the SB to be a dark horse candidate.  

It’s a hot take in a media world dominated by hot takes 

Mac Jones played good for a rookie QB asked to manage games.  I dont think he is capable of putting up the stat lines or performances that MVP QBs put up. Especially not with the players and coaches he is surrounded with.

Edited by Scott7975

People care way too much about crap like this. Specifically Bills fans who are very sensitive.

Summer is a dead time for sports. Sports shows run 24/7. They can't spend every second of every day talking about the Rams, Bills, Mahomes and Allen. Controversial and different takes are needed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.