The Worlds Number 1 Sport

Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

Was talking with someone today and commented how Soccer has always been considered the worlds #1 sport.  Got me thinking, is that still the case or has basketball taken over?  30 to 40 years ago the world centered around the Americas and Europe.  Now Asia and even Australia paint a much wider swath and not sure soccer has as large of the following there.  Even in Europe basketball seems to be much more popular than in the past.

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Was talking with someone today and commented how Soccer has always been considered the worlds #1 sport.  Got me thinking, is that still the case or has basketball taken over?  30 to 40 years ago the world centered around the Americas and Europe.  Now Asia and even Australia paint a much wider swath and not sure soccer has as large of the following there.  Even in Europe basketball seems to be much more popular than in the past.

Still soccer by a large stretch imo(I'm a Charlotte FC and Brighton fan myself). May not be obvious to some, but it has really taken off in the USA over the past decade or so and that will bode well for both the MLS and the national team. Football still number one sport in US easily yes, and soccer still behind baseball and basketball but is creeping up the rankings so to speak make no doubt.

Number one sport in South America and Europe by far, and gaining widespread in other continents also. And yeah, in Australia especially, rugby is still numero uno, and Asian countries probably more about cricket(Especially India). But I think soccer is enjoyed over there, especially as some Premier League teams do Asian preseason tours every year in order to build fanbases in those places.

Overall again I would say soccer is number one and I personally don't see that changing anytime soon, just my opinion.

I'm just a sports guy in general no matter what it is. My girlfriend came in the other day and saw me watching women's International field hockey and just shook her head and left the room lol.

27 minutes ago, Rigby said:

Still soccer by a large stretch imo(I'm a Charlotte FC and Brighton fan myself). May not be obvious to some, but it has really taken off in the USA over the past decade or so and that will bode well for both the MLS and the national team. Football still number one sport in US easily yes, and soccer still behind baseball and basketball but is creeping up the rankings so to speak make no doubt.

Number one sport in South America and Europe by far, and gaining widespread in other continents also. And yeah, in Australia especially, rugby is still numero uno, and Asian countries probably more about cricket(Especially India). But I think soccer is enjoyed over there, especially as some Premier League teams do Asian preseason tours every year in order to build fanbases in those places.

Overall again I would say soccer is number one and I personally don't see that changing anytime soon, just my opinion.

I'm just a sports guy in general no matter what it is. My girlfriend came in the other day and saw me watching women's International field hockey and just shook her head and left the room lol.

That's one thing I like about watching the Olympics, the uncommon sports like team handball, water polo, there's a 3rd one get to watch every 4 years.  Don't really understand many of the rules but neat to watch.  Or curling in the winter games.

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

That's one thing I like about watching the Olympics, the uncommon sports like team handball, water polo, there's a 3rd one get to watch every 4 years.  Don't really understand many of the rules but neat to watch.  Or curling in the winter games.

I love the uncommon sports. It was cool seeing my high schooler get into the biathlon competition this year. Winter olympics has done a nice job including snowboarding and things like short-track speed skating.

Soccer is big in Asia and Australia too, I don't think the gains in basketball are enough to surpass it yet.

5 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I love the uncommon sports. It was cool seeing my high schooler get into the biathlon competition this year. Winter olympics has done a nice job including snowboarding and things like short-track speed skating.

They're trying to get flag football into the Olympics. I think that would be really cool.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Soccer is big in Asia and Australia too, I don't think the gains in basketball are enough to surpass it yet.

They're trying to get flag football into the Olympics. I think that would be really cool.

I didn't know if you were kidding about flag football and had to google it. I would watch it.

5 hours ago, TBBills said:

Soccer b.c people love 0-0 ties and 1-0 wins... 🙄 simple people like simple things.

So if you are a soccer fan, you are simple minded? Just trying to follow your logic here.

• Haha (+1) 1

Research guy question here. 

What's the criteria for calling something "the most popular" or  "#1" sport?

The number of people who participate in it?  Overall revenue? Live attendance? TV ratings? Surveys of people's preferences? Etc.

If it has anything to do with the sheer number of people who participate/watch/say it's their favorite sport, then the discussion must focus on China and India.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

IMO, the World Cup soccer tournament makes soccer the #1 global sport. No other sport that I can think of has an equivalent global championship with mass interest across so many countries.  

I was going to say curling, but you make a good point. 

Curling has to be second. I grew up watching curling on one of my three channels as a kid. Happy times! 

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

Research guy question here. 

What's the criteria for calling something "the most popular" or  "#1" sport?

The number of people who participate in it?  Overall revenue? Live attendance? TV ratings? Surveys of people's preferences? Etc.

If it has anything to do with the sheer number of people who participate/watch/say it's their favorite sport, then the discussion must focus on China and India.

We have lots of graduate students from China and India in our department. If they participate in intramural sports, the favorite (at least for the male students) is... soccer. Nothing else comes close.

I live in a soccer hotbed of the country as well as across the border from Tijuana. I can attest that soccer aka futbol is THE one sport that is the most watched and played worldwide. And I have a theory as to why.

Soccer requires just 1 thing, well actually 2.  They are a place with room to run and a soccer ball. It doesnt even matter if the ball is still round. In poorer countries like Honduras they don't let the fact the ball has deflated stop their play. It is a cultural as well as long held national sports obsession to them and to others worldwide.

hubby is a soccer ex player and coach in both rec and the premiere leagues here in socal. The youth interest in the sport is unmatched. jmo and from what I see no end in sight.

• Like (+1) 1

The Dean brings up a very interesting point as how this idea is measured.

The top ten countries in population have the following breakdown.

5 claim soccer

3 claim cricket

1 claims American football

and China claims basketball as their most popular sport.

As far as TV viewership goes, soccer has to dominate as all the interest in the World Cup

and the UEFA telecasts. 

20 minutes ago, LewPort71 said:

The Dean brings up a very interesting point as how this idea is measured.

The top ten countries in population have the following breakdown.

5 claim soccer

3 claim cricket

1 claims American football

and China claims basketball as their most popular sport.

As far as TV viewership goes, soccer has to dominate as all the interest in the World Cup

and the UEFA telecasts. 

Also consider the participation aspect.  Bowling used to be a tremendously popular sport---if you count participating in it to be a sport.  Ping Pong, especially in China, from what I hear.  Darts?  Just considering the possibilities and why I rarely get satisfaction from claims of #1 or Most popular, unless the criteria and methodology is all spelled out.. The raw data is pretty nice to have, too.  But that's asking for a bit much, I know.

On 7/15/2022 at 10:30 PM, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

No wait, soccer is simply huge.

• 2 months later...
On 7/15/2022 at 10:59 PM, SinceThe70s said:

IMO, the World Cup soccer tournament makes soccer the #1 global sport. No other sport that I can think of has an equivalent global championship with mass interest across so many countries.  

Cricket is way higher up the list than people realize and I believe it has a World Cup as well.

11 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Cricket is way higher up the list than people realize and I believe it has a World Cup as well.

Cricket has 2 world cups and a world championship. Due to there being 3 different formats played at international level.

Its the National sport in India and Pakistan. Almost a religion in Asia full stop.

On 10/3/2022 at 12:56 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yes.  And also because the world is impoverished. You only need a foot and a ball. 😉 😜 

And not even a ball.  My nephew works for a special effect company based in Singapore and one of the special effects he did was a bunch of guys who were annimated into a ball in his first movie.  I think it was Shaolin Soccer.

On 10/2/2022 at 2:37 PM, Nextmanup said:

Soccer is by FAR the most popular sport on the planet.

There was a comedian years ago who was ripping on soccer. He couldn't understand why it was so popular. He had the perfect line when describing the sport. He said "If I want to watch 3 straight hours of no scoring I will just go the club with my single friends and watch them hit on women".

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.