Reported Bills UDFA signing - 11 signed, 3 Camp Invites *Updated* 09:32 (4 open spots)

MAJBobby

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Can you (or anyone else) help me understand the Quessenberry love?

Thanks

Mediocre player with starting experience who can play both T/G. Better depth than what the Bills had prior to signing him. You're welcome.

9 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

But he is who Kromer and Beane chose amongst all other options available to them in Free Agency at this point.

Not necessarily. Other options may have wanted too much money or simply didn't want to play in Buffalo. He was the best realistic choice available to them at an acceptable price point and willing to sign. 

More so than any other unit on a football team, OL is dependent on blocking scheme and how the five work together, passing off blocks, identifying rushers and picking up stunts. I'm not a Bobby Johnson fan and believe that his schemes played directly into the weaknesses of our linemen. Sure he changed it up at the end of 2021 and the line was all-around better.

This is the classic example of a coach thinking his scheme is more important than putting his players in the best position to succeed.

Kromer has proven here and elsewhere that he can get the most out of his OL by adjusting scheme to their strengths. If you, like I, believe that we have a handful of NFL-caliber OL players on the team then Kromer will get the most out of his men. He will find the best starting 5 and may surprise us with his selections. No matter, he will have the unit playing together with a common focus and playing to their strengths. You will see communication improve across the front and you will see less missed assignments.

Fans typically grade players on an individual basis. This is not the way to grade OL play, ever. A Pro Bowl guard as an example, might look like a chump on a line where guys don't understand and communicate their assignments. Guys like Morse, Saffold and Dawkins can be so helpful to Kromer in finding ways to put the best 5 on the field and using them to their strengths. This in-turn will build a bond to help the young guys like Brown and Bates think and move as a unit and not as individuals.

When a line thinks and moves together as a unit both before and after the snap, then the sum of the parts is much greater than the individuals.

We don't "need" better players. We need a more cohesive unit. I really believe that Kromer is the man who can make that happen. Bobby Johnson just destroyed any cohesiveness that our OL could have ever had by asking guys to dance to a different drummer than they were comfortable with. If Kromer need another piece, I have no doubt he will ask Beane to get it for him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Dorsey looks to be putting a bit more emphasis on the short game.  

Last year Allen’s Time to throw was 2.9, on the high side of QBs.  Dorsey may be able to estimate that the changes will bring that # down

to 2.65 (or whatever).  

That might be enough wiggle room for Kromer to deal with Saffold/Quesenberry’s deficiencies.

Just balling spit.

9 hours ago, McDeerInTheHeadlights said:

I, for one, do not believe in miracle workers, but some people think that Kromer can squeeze something out of Ford, who sucks across-the-board. Following that logic, there is more hope for Quessenberry, who apparently sucks at pass protection but is pretty good at run blocking.

Quessenberry has been in the league since 2013, when the Texans drafted him in the 6th round.

Ford is going into his 4th year.

Clearly Quessenberry must have talent, since he was brought back after his Lymphoma treatment "gap years" and two different teams have had him on the roster.  But I think there's some truth to the notion that it's harder to teach an older dog new tricks.

1 hour ago, hemma said:

Dorsey looks to be putting a bit more emphasis on the short game.  

Last year Allen’s Time to throw was 2.9, on the high side of QBs.  Dorsey may be able to estimate that the changes will bring that # down

to 2.65 (or whatever).  

That might be enough wiggle room for Kromer to deal with Saffold/Quesenberry’s deficiencies.

Just balling spit.

Perhaps.  There also seems to be an emphasis on run-blocking chops (Saffold, Quessenberry).  It may also be true that if teams feel we have an effective run threat not named Josh Allen, that will back them off a bit and make pass protection easier.

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Can you (or anyone else) help me understand the Quessenberry love?

Thanks

He's a veteran who has played tackle in the NFL.  I cant imagine he's worse than bobby hart, and the other guy doyle is a complete unknown.

I'm not looking for all-pro backups, but I like options.  Guard i feel like we're running it back with Ford and Boettger.  Didn't really bring in much there.  

26 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

I like the Wydermyer pick up a lot.

Can see him making the 53

Yeah this guy could make the team for sure, I feel like he unfairly fell in the rankings because of a horrendous forty time, over 5 seconds. But he looks pretty fast and athletic on tape and apparently was sick when he ran that time. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Georgie said:

Im wondering about a 4th QB

Dorsey is 4 years (less one day) younger than Brady and won a national title at Miami, where he was 38-2 as the starter, suspect he still has enough skill to show the guys how it should be done.

2 hours ago, CapeBreton said:

Yeah this guy could make the team for sure, I feel like he unfairly fell in the rankings because of a horrendous forty time, over 5 seconds. But he looks pretty fast and athletic on tape and apparently was sick when he ran that time. 

Prior to the combine, a lot of rankings were going back and forth between him and McBride as the #1 TE in the draft. 

7 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

More so than any other unit on a football team, OL is dependent on blocking scheme and how the five work together, passing off blocks, identifying rushers and picking up stunts. I'm not a Bobby Johnson fan and believe that his schemes played directly into the weaknesses of our linemen. Sure he changed it up at the end of 2021 and the line was all-around better.

This is the classic example of a coach thinking his scheme is more important than putting his players in the best position to succeed.

Kromer has proven here and elsewhere that he can get the most out of his OL by adjusting scheme to their strengths. If you, like I, believe that we have a handful of NFL-caliber OL players on the team then Kromer will get the most out of his men. He will find the best starting 5 and may surprise us with his selections. No matter, he will have the unit playing together with a common focus and playing to their strengths. You will see communication improve across the front and you will see less missed assignments.

Fans typically grade players on an individual basis. This is not the way to grade OL play, ever. A Pro Bowl guard as an example, might look like a chump on a line where guys don't understand and communicate their assignments. Guys like Morse, Saffold and Dawkins can be so helpful to Kromer in finding ways to put the best 5 on the field and using them to their strengths. This in-turn will build a bond to help the young guys like Brown and Bates think and move as a unit and not as individuals.

When a line thinks and moves together as a unit both before and after the snap, then the sum of the parts is much greater than the individuals.

We don't "need" better players. We need a more cohesive unit. I really believe that Kromer is the man who can make that happen. Bobby Johnson just destroyed any cohesiveness that our OL could have ever had by asking guys to dance to a different drummer than they were comfortable with. If Kromer need another piece, I have no doubt he will ask Beane to get it for him.

This is exactly where I am at. I was not a fan of Bobby Johnson and thought he was one of the weakest hires under McDermott. I think there will be a big difference in Oline play this year simply because of Kromer. While I am one who believes there should be more investment in the Oline, I also believe we currently have the players to be in the upper third of the NFL.  I am truly looking forward to seeing what Kromer does with this unit.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.