Jake Fromm not tendered by NYG

YoloinOhio

41 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I watched him in both games, the 1st one a little & the 2nd the whole game since it didn't conflict with the Bills game.  The 1st one was so bad that the next week when Glennon was horrible they never put Fromm in.  The 2nd game he started because Glennon was injured & couldn't play.  He was so bad that at one point the Giants ran the ball on 2nd & 3rd down deep in their own territory deciding to play for the punt rather than let him even try to get a 1st down by throwing the ball.  

Fromm is not a NFL QB & has no business ever playing another down.  There is zero reason to bring him back.  I'd rather bring back Matt Barkley than Fromm.  

Only thing id mention is - he did get picked up off waivers and had like a week and a half before he was playing. 

Midseason thats like 4 practices and 2 walk throughs.  After being the covid QB for 2 years.  Not exactly set up for success.

It was also with kitchens calling plays from a garrett playbook.  I'm not saying he's tom brady, just saying even brady would probably have struggled with that situation.  

• Agree 1

He was a Finance major at UGA. May be time to get a front office job. He's not an NFL caliber QB. Overrated because of the National Championship game exposure, and he didn't even play well in that game. Kirby Smart was not smart in starting Fromm over Fields.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

They have Jones and Tyrod now.  It could have been purely a financial move.  They can draft a 3rd sting QB in the 5th+ round and pay him pennies on the dollar

How much money could they save replacing him with a rookie? He was on a rookie contract

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wonder if the Bills bring him back at least to the 90 man roster  and then PS. They need to add at least two QBs

As the Giants did not tender him - he is a FA - this is the kind of signing that happens after the comp period as a 1 year min deal and camp arm.

I don’t think he makes a wave one way or the other - so no big deal.

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

did he have the time to complete anything over 10 yards? (I did not see the Giants games) I mean, he must have completed something longer in college?!  I'd rather take him here cheaply than draft a camp arm.  Save that late pick for a punter, or to trade up.  ?

Why waste your time tho? He was in our system for two years and was the 4th string QB. What benefit do we need to see him again? The giants ran a QB sneak on 3rd and 9 With him because they trusted him so little. The former OC who coached him and Asst. GM who drafted him don’t want him on a team with an unsettled QB situation. This would be like bringing back Peterman. Why? You know he sucks and plenty of guys can learn a system and be a camp arm. Undrafted guys can be camp arms. They need to find a legit backup, then pull some kid to throw passes for the scout team. Fromm had his shot. He failed, time to move on 

3 hours ago, Rhode Island Red said:

It would seem to be a no-brainer, unless he looked awful last year.  Did anyone here see/hear anything about his action in those two games he appeared in?

I would rather the Bills sign Jake from State Farm instead.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Waiting for the obligatory "Well, he was good enough for us once!  Bring him in!" post.

When was he ever good enough for us?  He was our 4th string quarterback and when the Giants took him they said don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Why waste your time tho? He was in our system for two years and was the 4th string QB. What benefit do we need to see him again? The giants ran a QB sneak on 3rd and 9 With him because they trusted him so little. The former OC who coached him and Asst. GM who drafted him don’t want him on a team with an unsettled QB situation. This would be like bringing back Peterman. Why? You know he sucks and plenty of guys can learn a system and be a camp arm. Undrafted guys can be camp arms. They need to find a legit backup, then pull some kid to throw passes for the scout team. Fromm had his shot. He failed, time to move on 

training camp arm.  Whatever.  He can be QB 4 again.  Not sure how much who your QB 4 is matters, but I'd assume someone who knows the system has some benefit.  I'm NOT advocating that he comes in as QB2.  No way.  

3 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

training camp arm.  Whatever.  He can be QB 4 again.  Not sure how much who your QB 4 is matters, but I'd assume someone who knows the system has some benefit.  I'm NOT advocating that he comes in as QB2.  No way.  

Again, why bother? What if you bring in some undrafted kid that turns out to be a Tony Romo or even Brian Hoyer? Isn’t that better than someone who has played, and shown he can’t do it?

8 hours ago, dneveu said:

Only thing id mention is - he did get picked up off waivers and had like a week and a half before he was playing. 

Midseason thats like 4 practices and 2 walk throughs.  After being the covid QB for 2 years.  Not exactly set up for success.

It was also with kitchens calling plays from a garrett playbook.  I'm not saying he's tom brady, just saying even brady would probably have struggled with that situation.  

He was with the team 5 weeks when he played so poorly in the season finale when they ran the 2 QB sneaks inside their own 10 rather than let him try for a 1st down.  That's a lot more time than what you are saying.   He was only the Covid QB as a rookie.  His 2nd season he was on the practice squad until the Giants signed him.  

38 minutes ago, Greatdane21 said:

I’d pass on him ,I don’t see how Davis Webb makes the team either so he’ll be there to snag for next to nothing

Webb is the player/coach at QB3 for the .  Daboll saw first hand the work he did helping Josh, that’s why he signed him.  He ain’t getting cut.

I don't know how any young QB is supposed to step in and look even remotely decent in their first real NFL games. Even the elite draft picks usually look like bums for a while. So I don't know how you determine a guy like Fromm actually stinks until there's a larger sample size. 

5 minutes ago, skibum said:

I don't know how any young QB is supposed to step in and look even remotely decent in their first real NFL games. Even the elite draft picks usually look like bums for a while. So I don't know how you determine a guy like Fromm actually stinks until there's a larger sample size. 

Interesting.  So a 5th round pick who has been on two different teams already should be given maybe a full season worth of gameday play or even starts to figure out if he is any good?  Seems like a huge waste of a roster spot.

23 hours ago, Rhode Island Red said:

It would seem to be a no-brainer, unless he looked awful last year.  Did anyone here see/hear anything about his action in those two games he appeared in?

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/joe-judge-explains-giants-bizarre-qb-sneak-third-and-9-vs-washington

Joe Judge had so little confidence in him he ran a QB Sneak on 3rd and 9 (and it was the 2nd sneak in a row.)

13 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

The fact that Daboll didn't want him back, to me, is telling.

Maybe, I wonder if the Giants ownership who watched Fromm play last year strongly discouraged his return.

13 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

He was with the team 5 weeks when he played so poorly in the season finale when they ran the 2 QB sneaks inside their own 10 rather than let him try for a 1st down.  That's a lot more time than what you are saying.   He was only the Covid QB as a rookie.  His 2nd season he was on the practice squad until the Giants signed him.  

He was on the practice squad on a team with 4 QBs - and webb ran the scout team for the defense.  How much practice do you think he got? Missing training camp for a QB is like a death sentence too.  How is he supposed to have any feel for the offense?  

And I still think he sucks.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.