Hyde contract restructured

BillsMafi$

1 minute ago, No_Matter_What said:

Well I know §1M per se is not a big deal. But this is not §1M, this is §3,4M. And it adds up. Last year we had void years only for Addison and Sanders. Now it is Haack, Saffold, Settle, Hyde and we are probably not finished.

And I also know that cap will increase. So will players' salaries. The question is how much each team restructures and "kicks the can" down the road. I know I need to get used to Bills doing it, I just don't want us to become Saints or Rams (cap wise, not SB wise :) ).

But like I said I am not making big deal out of this. Just saying it doesn't make me happy. I need to see what the prize will be :)

understand your concerns but I don't see Beane getting us $40M in dead cap space for 1 season. He has shown he knows how to do contracts

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, TheWeatherMan said:

Think of it a pliable not fake.  Eventually it can be stretched too thin and you have to cut/restructure half your roster every off season like the Cowpies and Taints.  

Teams always have ways to get out of salary cap trouble, it just depends on how bare they want to strip the roster and how far down the road they want to kick the can.

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh geesh Spotrac has this already.  It will run his bonus out 3 void years to 2026 if they have it right

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/micah-hyde-12440/

The Bills are creating space to take care of draft choices and in season needs for roster slots.  The current Sportrac numbers suggest the Bills have about $6MM in cap space which is about what they want to carry into the season typically.   What I am actually seeing right now suggests that one of the two following may occur:

• Beasley may not be gone this year if nobody takes him via trade
  • The Bills release Beasley and sign another player - my guess would be a CB.

19 minutes ago, Process said:

Why is Beasley still on this team?

Couple reasons, they are holding out for a trade to get finalized, the wr market in fa is nutty and they are now looking at keeping him, or that is a quick transaction and they are focusing on the restructures and new contracts, etc

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

understand your concerns but I don't see Beane getting us $40M in dead cap space for 1 season. He has shown he knows how to do contracts

I trust in Beane. But this is quite a new situation even for him. And the fact is that he already started mortgaging the future more than before (I know it is somewhat inevitable). What I am saying is that we don't know how far is he willing to go.

If he is in fact creating space for Jones than we will mortgage the future quite a lot (and I am not saying I am against it).

19 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Pretty much at this point.  3.8M in space at this point.  Needed more to fit Saffold, Jones and McKissic (they would not fit in the 3.8M curently).  Still alot of areas to make space up with restructures if Beane gets a big fish he will then hit the others like Tre, Dawkins, Diggs etc 

probably working the trade side.  Nothing forcing a move with him yet.

They won’t get much in trade for Beasley at his age and him being a bit of a pain in the arse.  He is still very good, but could fall off quickly.

• Sad 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

The Bills are creating space to take care of draft choices and in season needs for roster slots.  The current Sportrac numbers suggest the Bills have about $6MM in cap space which is about what they want to carry into the season typically.   What I am actually seeing right now suggests that one of the two following may occur:

• Beasley may not be gone this year if nobody takes him via trade
  • The Bills release Beasley and sign another player - my guess would be a CB.

Not all the choices will count against the cap, only the top 51...

I start to wonder if cb2, is viewed as a big need in our defense....seems more like the 2 safeties white and taron lock it down fairly well. Our scheme my dictate that cb2 does not have to be a 2nd all pro DB just a capable zone guy....

1 minute ago, No_Matter_What said:

I trust in Beane. But this is quite a new situation even for him. And the fact is that he already started mortgaging the future more than before (I know it is somewhat inevitable). What I am saying is that we don't know how far is he willing to go.

If he is in fact creating space for Jones than we will mortgage the future quite a lot (and I am not saying I am against it).

I think the poster meant clearing space for Daquan Jones, not Chandler.  I don’t expect them to go into big debt to sign a good, but aging DE.

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

They won’t get much in trade for Beasley at his age and him being a bit of a pain in the arse.  He is still very good, but could fall off quickly.

Anything is a pick they didnt have.  if you look at Atlantas WRs (when they are trying to get Watson reportedly) something needs to be done within that WR group.  A 5th is fine, point remains getting an asset and losing the cap hit.  it better than just losing the cap hit

19 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yes, the cap is fake.

Also credit cards. You don't really have to pay them back at all.

I tend to push back on those who say the cap is fake... eventually a bill comes due.

That being said, it is kind of funny how everyone talks about the Saints being an unmitigated cap disaster - yet somehow - they are the leader for Watson, with a reported offer of 3 - 1's plus other assets. 

On the other hand, the Falcons would likely be the favorite for Watson if they weren't in cap jail and the Giants have a terrible team but somehow no cap space to try and get better. 

1 minute ago, Georgie said:

Bills already converted Milano's 2022 salary to bonus,didnt they? Beasley will probably be gone,one way or another 

It hasnt been official.  Reports are they were working on it.  Only restructure that has been released since that Milano report is this Hyde contract.  Never know maybe Sal got wires crossed and it was Hyde not Milano they were working to re-do.

20 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Hmm per sportrac they spread it over 5 years, creating 3 void years with dead cap §1.1M each.

Not sure I like this. 

But like I said I will judge once FA is over.

Well it is not all we are doing. We are also creating lot of dead cap for future years. I am not saying we shouldn't do it but it is important to note.

Yeah but next year cap takes a big jump due to new TV contract.  Ideally they wouldn't have done this, but with the cap dropping last year due to Covid and this year barely above the 2019 level, has been down alot all over the league.

Does anyone know on Spotrac at the top it says "Current contract" Is that what he just signed today or that isn't yet updated?  It says 2 year contract, but then more years below are shown, assume for the restructure??  Wish they'd list the year signed next where it says Current Contract.

Has there been any details on Milanos restructure?   All I've read is "most of his salary has been converted"  Again not sure if Spotrac is showing pre or post adjustment??

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Bease is a 6M cap hit this year for acquiring team - but zay jones just got 3/24.  Acquiring team can push it to 2 years with a void and lessen the cap burden.  

WRs are making a lot of money.  I doubt we can get much of anything for him but its worth trying.  If you cut him he's left with what he gets on FA market which will likely be less than 6M on a 1yr deal.  

2 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think the poster meant clearing space for Daquan Jones, not Chandler.  I don’t expect them to go into big debt to sign a good, but aging DE.

Also still alot of DEs out there, and the longer Chandler Jones goes unsigned the better it is for the Bills and the future contract Bills hand out to any DE 

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Anything is a pick they didnt have.  if you look at Atlantas WRs (when they are trying to get Watson reportedly) something needs to be done within that WR group.  A 5th is fine, point remains getting an asset and losing the cap hit.  it better than just losing the cap hit

I mean... Buffalo traded Bodine for a pick, and that guy sucked!  anything can happen!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He's going to be released or take less money. Beasley likely trying to see what he'd be worth to other teams before deciding to take less from the Bills.

To be honest, I’m over Beasley. He’s not the same player he was anymore, would rather they draft his replacement and put the 6 million towards another player.

• Vomit 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, Motor26 said:

To be honest, I’m over Beasley. He’s not the same player he was anymore, would rather they draft his replacement and put the 6 million towards another player.

He's fine. He didn't see the field as much last year and I think a lot of it was punishment to him due to his twitter stuff. If he keeps off that he should be fine. He still does things at WR that other guys can't and is still valuable 

39 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It's not that confusing.  Basically a signing bonus is able to be spread out over the remaining length of the contract. So for example if they took $5 million of base salary and converted into signing bonus for someone with 2 years left on the contract, they would save $2.5 million against the cap this year because that $5 million would be spread out over two years. The downside is that they are increasing their cap next year(and for contracts longer than 2 years, every year thereafter I believe up to 5 years).  

I wonder how that works for the player. Typically bonuses are taxed higher at capital gains. Do they take a hit because of this?

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

Between Williams, Klein and feliciano cuts and Haack, Morse, Milano, and now Hyde restructurings, that seems a fair amount more than what they need for the additions already announced.  

There is now Roughly 8.3M in space.  That will be enough to sign the (Jones, McKissic, and Saffold contract) with some to spare.

Milano has NOT been officially restructured yet. from what I can tell.

Just now, MAJBobby said:

There is now Roughly 8.3M in space.  That will be enough to sign the (Jones, McKissic, and Saffold contract) with some to spare.

I was too lazy to figure it out myself, so I asked Greg Tompsett, $2.2 million for rookies who will hit the top 51

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

I was too lazy to figure it out myself, so I asked Greg Tompsett, $2.2 million for rookies who will hit the top 51

I think it is closer to 4.

1st round pick 2.6M (will hit)

2nd round pick 1.1M (will hit) 

3rd round pick 960K (might hit)

4th round pick 900K (likely wont)

44 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Hmm per sportrac they spread it over 5 years, creating 3 void years with dead cap §1.1M each.

Not sure I like this. 

But like I said I will judge once FA is over.

Well it is not all we are doing. We are also creating lot of dead cap for future years. I am not saying we shouldn't do it but it is important to note.

Right, I was just giving the basics of it.

Cap moves Bills still have left pretty easily with little impact to talent level.

Beasley - cut/trade/paycut

Diggs - Extension

White - Restructure

Edmunds - Extension

Dawkins - Restructure

Poyer - Extension

Milano - Restructure

Star - Cut (Post June 1 Designation)

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

I wonder how that works for the player. Typically bonuses are taxed higher at capital gains. Do they take a hit because of this?

Hmm...not sure.  They get it back on their taxes regardless.

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

That will get us compliant at 4pm with the new non accounted for signings of Saffold, Jones and McKissic

A bunch of numbers are missing on OTC and Spotrac. 

Any idea what our space is looking like in 2023? 

20 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Hmm why do you think that? McKissic is 7/2, so probably around 2.5M first year. If Jones rumors are correct, he is 14/2, so at least 5M first year. Saffold has a dummy year, but I doubt his cap hit this year is less than 4M. So that is at least 11M together.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.