Vikings Oline coach Phil Rauscher (Twitter speculation)

BillsMafi$

• BillsMafi$ changed the title to Bills expected to hire Vikings Oline coach, Phil Rauscher
4 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I like it - has worked with Tom Cable and Bill Callahan in his career.  Outside of Scarrnechia they're 2 of the best. 

I see it as an upgrade. 

Not really much of a resume to say he's an upgrade. Not much to get excited about with this hire.

I wonder what the connection is to the Bills staff. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Not really much of a resume to say he's an upgrade. Not much to get excited about with this hire.

Cousins normally doesn't run for his life. Dalvin Cook always has nice holes to run through. 

That's not all on the coach, of course..

But it's a really nice potential step in the right direction.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 8

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Cousins normally doesn't run for his life. Dalvin Cook always has nice holes to run through. 

He's only had 1 year as OL coach. Our offensive coaching staff is very young. 

Not exactly the resume I was hoping for. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Well, he was sacked 28 times last year, but he’s not exactly a mobile qb, so take from that what you will.

He is a young up and comer, I like the hire. He was the Assistant Oline coach in 2020 and the Oline coach in 2021. Both years the Vikings were decent along the Oline. They were pretty bad along the Oline in 2018 and 2019 so the past two seasons they have had a nice turnaround.

It isn’t a “big name” but he is someone that has a decent track record and is someone young and up and coming. 

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Well, he was sacked 28 times last year, but he’s not exactly a mobile qb, so take from that what you will.

28 times is bad, but the blame gets passed around from the coordinator, the coach, talent on the line and back field and the QB. 

I think* the bills have the player talent, but need a coordinator that can call and develop a consistent run game. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He's only had 1 year as OL coach. Our offensive coaching staff is very young. 

Not exactly the resume I was hoping for. 

In fairness he has had 3 years as either the line coach or Assistant line coach. He also is a former OL player at UCLA. (Hopefully) learned something from Tom Cable and Bill Callahan in his time under them. 

Agree that our offensive staff is young...however that's not necessarily a bad thing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The only connection i see is Rick Dennison.  Who he replaced when he wouldn't get vaccinated.  Lot of young players on that offensive line and they didn't have any glaring pass pro issues.  All with a first time play caller in Klint Kubiak.  

Not sure about this...pro football outsiders has the Vikings ranked well below the Bills in term of offensive line yards(4.40 to 4.02) and Vikings were the worst team in the NFL in terms of getting stuffed on carries at 23%. Literally almost 1 out of every 4 RB caries resulted in a loss. In comparison Bills were 12th best at 16%

image.thumb.png.f8cfd4833eec361f5ef715734a464837.png

4 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

28 times is bad, but the blame gets passed around from the coordinator, the coach, talent on the line and back field and the QB. 

I think* the bills have the player talent, but need a coordinator that can call and develop a consistent run game. 

Vikings actually gave up 30 total sacks last year which was 5th FEWEST in the league. 

• Like (+1) 4

Phil Rauscher returns to the Vikings in 2021 as Offensive Line coach, his 2nd season with the club and 7th season of NFL coaching. 

The 2020 Vikings offense had success with a balanced attack that ended the season ranked #4 in the NFL in total offense and #5 in rushing offense. Dalvin Cook had a career-best 1,557 yards on the ground and 16 rushing TDs, ranking 2nd in the NFL in yardage. Cook's yards ranked 3rd for a season and his 16 TDs ranks 2nd in Vikings history. The offense scored 55 TDs during 2020, the 2nd-most TD generated by a Vikings offense in franchise history, just trailing the 58 by the 1998 team. Cook earned a Pro Bowl berth and All-Pro accolades for the campaign. 

The 2020 Vikings offensive line got a boost when 2nd-round rookie Ezra Cleveland moved into the starting job at RG and solidified the lineup. The right side of the line was all 1st and 2nd-round Vikings picks from 2018, '19 and '20 between Garrett Bradbury at center (1st round, 2019), Cleveland and Brian O'Neill at RT (2nd round, 2018).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

28 is a very low number, what are you talking about? The number was actually 30, but it is still among the best in the NFL---top 5 I think.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

28 times is not that tragic, esp with a pocket passer as a QB and keep in mind that’s 28 times in 17 games. Josh was sacked 26 times during the regular season for reference. 

28 times is about 1.7 times per game which ranks 4th best in the NFL. Made more impressive by the fact that they don’t have a QB known to avoid sacks.

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

28 is a very low number, what are you talking about? The number was actually 30, but it is still among the best in the NFL---top 5 I think.

It ranks 4th best at 30 sacks given up which is about 1.8 per game. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Not sure about this...pro football outsiders has the Vikings ranked well below the Bills in term of offensive line yards(4.40 to 4.02) and Vikings were the worst team in the NFL in terms of getting stuffed on carries at 23%. Literally almost 1 out of every 4 RB caries resulted in a loss. In comparison Bills were 12th best at 16%

However outside of the 2 stats you make mention of the Vikings line is ranked higher or better performing on almost every other stat line you provided. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

So many factors go into good or bad stats, especially when looking at only one season. We don't have a lot of history on this coach. He's worked under a lot of good coaches.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

However outside of the 2 stats you make mention of the Vikings line is ranked higher or better performing on almost every other stat line you provided. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Those aren't really line stats tho...those are how the RB does more than anything.

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

9 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

28 times is not that tragic, esp with a pocket passer as a QB and keep in mind that’s 28 times in 17 games. Josh was sacked 26 times during the regular season for reference. 

28 times is about 1.7 times per game which ranks 4th best in the NFL. Made more impressive by the fact that they don’t have a QB known to avoid sacks.

It ranks 4th best at 30 sacks given up which is about 1.8 per game. 

ah what do i know. i tried to average it out and thought about twice per game was too much. i dont remember josh getting sacked that much this year, asides from the steelers and jags games.

35 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

22 minutes ago, dneveu said:

The only connection i see is Rick Dennison.  Who he replaced when he wouldn't get vaccinated.  Lot of young players on that offensive line and they didn't have any glaring pass pro issues.  All with a first time play caller in Klint Kubiak.  

He was an offensive coaching assistant for Denver under their OC Rick Dennison (and RBs Coach Eric Studesville) on the Super Bowl 50 team which defeated Carolina and their DC Sean McDermott. McDermott probably knows him or has notes on him as far back as then and also via their mutual relationship to Dennison. The coaches at this level are all intertwined in some fashion.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Vikings actually gave up 30 total sacks last year which was 5th FEWEST in the league. 

The worse 5 team sacks all were over 50.

Young guy and being around the Washington RedFoot Commanders OLs back in 2018-2019 helps.

Too tease some Bills fans he sure would know Brandon Scherff.  LOL.

46 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I wonder how the Bills data would look if it were limited to RBs though?   Kirk Cousins has the nimbleness of his grandmother's van, which he drives.

How does the data on adjusted sack rate look?

The other part of the story is...how would the Bills data look for the first 10 games vs the last 7 (New Orleans -> on)?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You've heard of the game "6 degrees of Kevin bacon".

Now we have "6 degrees of Carolina panthers"

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.