Malik Willis: The next Josh Allen?

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Josh looks faster than he is because defenders are afraid to tackle him. Just ask Honey Badger.

Josh actually looks slower than he is, because people don't understand the impact of the length of his stride. His top speed is among the highest in NFL history. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think people confuse "runs a faster 40" with "is a better athlete". 

I expect Willis to run slightly faster at the combine than Josh did. But he is not a better athlete.

Reading "much better athlete than josh allen" honestly just gave me a chuckle. I feel like people sometimes forget he's doing what he's doing at 6'5 245... And then theres that arm of his.

.... honestly, has there ever been a qb in NFL that was a "much better athlete" than allen?.... seriously. EVER?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Reading "much better athlete than josh allen" honestly just gave me a chuckle. I feel like people sometimes forget he's doing what he's doing at 6'5 245... And then theres that arm of his.

.... honestly, has there ever been a qb in NFL that was a "much better athlete" than allen?.... seriously. EVER?

At his height weight speed combination

No

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

All depends on how you chose to measure and define athleticism I suppose. What I think can be said is that Josh is the most physically dominant player to ever play the position taking into account all of his athletic attributes and psychological makeup. He’s the archetype of the badass stud.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Pretty funny. I just heard Todd McShay on Sports Center talking about Malik Willis after he mocked him to the Steelers.  He said he is really good, he'll never be a Josh Allen, but his ceiling is still pretty high. Guess that answers the question...

;)

Was Kiper on and did he mock McShay for doubting Josh Allen?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 2/11/2022 at 5:45 PM, starrymessenger said:

Josh looks faster than he is because defenders are afraid to tackle him. Just ask Honey Badger.

Josh is pretty great at making defenders take bad angles, even breaking some people's ankles, he's got good vision/sense when he runs, and while he probably doesn't accelerate like some of the quicker guys, once he's up to speed he's not much slower than anyone.

On 2/11/2022 at 6:50 PM, Chaos said:

Josh actually looks slower than he is, because people don't understand the impact of the length of his stride. His top speed is among the highest in NFL history. 

It’s noticeable on the field when he’s stride for stride with LBs, even DBs. They look stuck in mud when hes running. 

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Josh is pretty great at making defenders take bad angles, even breaking some people's ankles, he's got good vision/sense when he runs, and while he probably doesn't accelerate like some of the quicker guys, once he's up to speed he's not much slower than anyone.

I completely agree. I was just putting emphasis on the fact that Josh is a load and laughing at Honey Badger who in both games last year got trucked by him. There is no other QB in the game who can do what all Allen can do. Mahomes comes close. Burrow does not, good tho he is. Herbert is just Josh light for now until he proves otherwise. Its a very steep hill for him to climb.

3 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Pretty funny. I just heard Todd McShay on Sports Center talking about Malik Willis after he mocked him to the Steelers.  He said he is really good, he'll never be a Josh Allen, but his ceiling is still pretty high. Guess that answers the question...

;)

He has wheels, a strong arm and is accurate. He has no idea how to read a defence and was never asked to do it. Gifted but a very risky pick in the first round. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

They are only comparing him to Josh because he “has flaws”, a strong arm and a relatively high upside. That being said, when all is said and done, I believe Allen will prove to be a generational talent, and we won’t see another one like him for some time if ever. 

Exactly, nobody really compares to Josh Allen, he's a unicorn. But everyone with a big arm, mobility, and flaws will draw comparisons to him.

Glad to see Willis and Pickett having excellent pro days, hopefully they go high and it helps drop some talent to number 25 in the draft.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/2/2022 at 6:48 PM, BidsJr said:

There will never be a "next" Josh Allen.

I'm going to say I believe you will be wrong.  However the 'next' Josh Allen hasn't been born yet and we will see if he chooses to follow in his dad's footsteps and play QB in football or maybe he decides he wants to become a doctor and help kids at Oshei Children's Hospital after growing up accompanying his dad visiting kids at the Patricia Allen Recovery Wing.

• Haha (+1) 2

Here's an article Kiper wrote after the 2021 draft.  He lists his top 10 rated QBs of all time.  Josh is #10, 9th at the time of the 2018 draft.  His top 10 are

1) Elway, 2) Luck, 3) P. Manning, 4) Lawrence 5) Kelly, 6) Ware, 7) Bledsoe, 8) Leaf, 9) Aikman, 10) Allen

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30920143/mel-kiper-highest-graded-quarterbacks-ever-nfl-draft-john-elway-ranks-first-1979-trevor-lawrence-makes-top-10

10. Josh Allen, Wyoming

Draft class: 2018

Pick: No. 7 overall, Buffalo Bills

What I wrote at the time: "Allen has crushed the pre-draft process and is in the mix to be the No. 1 overall pick. He has shown improvement at the Senior Bowl and at the combine, and he has a high ceiling. Allen is super raw but can really sling it. His numbers weren't great in 2016 (28 touchdown passes, 15 interceptions while completing 56 percent of his passes), and his numbers weren't great in 2017 (16 touchdown passes, six interceptions while completing 56.3 percent of his passes), but NFL teams will take into account the talent around him. The Wyoming offense lost 47 touchdowns from the 2016 team, along with its center. I think Allen's numbers will be much better in an NFL offense with NFL players. He put some strong film together in the Cowboys' bowl win, throwing three touchdown passes in the first half, even while recovering from a shoulder injury."

Career notes: Allen broke out in Year 3 in Buffalo, completing 69.2% of his passes and throwing 37 touchdown passes with only 10 picks. He finished second in the MVP voting while leading the Bills to the AFC title game. Allen, who turns 25 this summer, has inserted himself into the top tier of NFL signal-callers.

Edited by Albany,n.y.

3 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Here's an article Kiper wrote after the 2021 draft.  He lists his top 10 rated QBs of all time.  Josh is #10, 9th at the time of the 2018 draft.  His top 10 are

1) Elway, 2) Luck, 3) P. Manning, 4) Lawrence 5) Kelly, 6) Ware, 7) Bledsoe, 😎 Leaf, 9) Aikman, 10) Allen

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30920143/mel-kiper-highest-graded-quarterbacks-ever-nfl-draft-john-elway-ranks-first-1979-trevor-lawrence-makes-top-10

10. Josh Allen, Wyoming

Draft class: 2018

Pick: No. 7 overall, Buffalo Bills

What I wrote at the time: "Allen has crushed the pre-draft process and is in the mix to be the No. 1 overall pick. He has shown improvement at the Senior Bowl and at the combine, and he has a high ceiling. Allen is super raw but can really sling it. His numbers weren't great in 2016 (28 touchdown passes, 15 interceptions while completing 56 percent of his passes), and his numbers weren't great in 2017 (16 touchdown passes, six interceptions while completing 56.3 percent of his passes), but NFL teams will take into account the talent around him. The Wyoming offense lost 47 touchdowns from the 2016 team, along with its center. I think Allen's numbers will be much better in an NFL offense with NFL players. He put some strong film together in the Cowboys' bowl win, throwing three touchdown passes in the first half, even while recovering from a shoulder injury."

Career notes: Allen broke out in Year 3 in Buffalo, completing 69.2% of his passes and throwing 37 touchdown passes with only 10 picks. He finished second in the MVP voting while leading the Bills to the AFC title game. Allen, who turns 25 this summer, has inserted himself into the top tier of NFL signal-callers.

What about Jimmy Clausen? 

I kid, I kid.... Kiper was the one talking head super high on Josh from the off. Kudos.

Career trajectory.  Allen didn't get recruited to play at Auburn.   If he had I bet he takes over pretty quick.  Willis was a pretty big recruit and ended up at Liberty after being beat our by Bo Nix.  I know college coaches have there own reasons for doing things.   Allen is every qbs comp now.  Allen was always a high pick.  Willis doesnt play football the same way Allen did in college. 

On 2/16/2022 at 3:59 PM, buffaloboyinATL said:

;)

LOL! 99.9% of the pundits out there said Josh Allen will never be as good as Josh Allen. Of course Josh Allen had not been invented yet but they still didn't believe.

Heck I never thought Josh Allen would turn out to be as good as Josh Allen.. He exceeded every single expectation in my book.

The only QB in the NFL Josh Allen can be compared to is himself. He truly is unique using size, talent, smarts and athleticism in comparisons.. PLUS  You cans toss in a "he is a pretty damn good dude to boot":

2 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

They are only comparing him to Josh because he “has flaws”, a strong arm and a relatively high upside. That being said, when all is said and done, I believe Allen will prove to be a generational talent, and we won’t see another one like him for some time if ever. 

Yeah the whole package is hard to duplicate

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I've already found the next Josh Allen. Goofy kid from the neighbourhood. 7ft 2 and naive. 

I pay him to walk around my house (when the wife is at work) wearing nothing but a Josh Allen jersey. Sometimes he cleans for me. We don't talk much but we have spent that last month coming up with our own TD dance which we do when he's finished mopping the kitchen floor.

His name is Lenny, sometimes he remembers to answer to Josh

4e6694e2547f79418ad8ed47729e3793.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

What about Jimmy Clausen? 

I kid, I kid.... Kiper was the one talking head super high on Josh from the off. Kudos.

The irony is yes, Clausen was #1 for his draft year (Sam Bradford was 2nd, same grade 9.3), but that was in a bad QB draft.  I went through Mel Kiper's guides from 1992 to 2013 (the final year he published a printed draft guide) and most years the top rated QB was higher than Clausen's 9.3. The top 10 appears to stop at 9.7, which I'm assuming is Josh's rating based on the fact that Tim Couch who was listed among the 5 below the top 10 had a 9.6 rating.  Since both Manning & Leaf were 9.7s, and Luck was 9.8, it appears all top 10 except the top 2 all were 9.7s (I don't have Elway's grade).  

Kiper gets a lot of flack for Clausen, but in reality, Clausen is pretty low among Kiper's top QBs of their draft year.  There are many above 9.3 who were not Kiper's top QB for their class.  

4 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The irony is yes, Clausen was #1 for his draft year (Sam Bradford was 2nd, same grade 9.3), but that was in a bad QB draft.  I went through Mel Kiper's guides from 1992 to 2013 (the final year he published a printed draft guide) and most years the top rated QB was higher than Clausen's 9.3. The top 10 appears to stop at 9.7, which I'm assuming is Josh's rating based on the fact that Tim Couch who was listed among the 5 below the top 10 had a 9.6 rating.  Since both Manning & Leaf were 9.7s, and Luck was 9.8, it appears all top 10 except the top 2 all were 9.7s (I don't have Elway's grade).  

Kiper gets a lot of flack for Clausen, but in reality, Clausen is pretty low among Kiper's top QBs of their draft year.  There are many above 9.3 who were not Kiper's top QB for their class.  

He did say if Clausen failed he'd quit though. That is beyond doubt. And I respect the hell out of Mel. But he went out on a limb for a terrible player.

There is no next Josh Allen. He is a unicorn. Nearly impossible to replicate.

Kinda like saying there is the next Blizzard of '77 for Buffalo.

Too many things had to come together perfectly that it's almost assuredly not happening again in our lifetime.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Thanks goodness Josh fell to 7.  And thank goodness I was totally wrong about him.

Still thank Cleveland for taking Mayfield...and that I was never more wrong in wanting "The Other Josh"

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Still thank Cleveland for taking Mayfield...and that I was never more wrong in wanting "The Other Josh"

My sentiments exactly.  I too wanted "the other Josh".  And have no problem admitting I threw the remote when they announced the pick.  But its never felt so good being so wrong, and that crow was actually delicious... 🙂

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.