Giants cap situation and potential trade options

YoloinOhio

Bradberry played for McDermott in Carolina in 2016 and Beane was there when he was drafted. It’s a big salary but perhaps could be restructured. If Levi walks (spotrac projecting 9 mill/yr and I just don’t think the Bills value him there) and Tre starts the year on PUP, our CB1 is Dane Jackson and then who… a rookie? Anyway, something to consider. 

I’ll also take the punter and Rudolph 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Giants top 4 cap hits heading into 2022 are:

Leonard Williams $27.3M

James Bradberry $21.9M

Kenny Golladay $21.1M

Adoree Jackson $15.3M

Absolutely brutal. The only player they can actually cut and save $$$ on is Bradberry, which is all but guaranteed given their cap situation (as the OP pointed out)

That Leonard Williams deal was a special kind of horrendous deal that Gettleman concocted.  

Looking a little further down the list I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants look to trade/cut Sterling Shepard.  Good player, but hurt a lot and they save $5M if cut.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

That team is clearly in the running for Bryce Young in 2023 who will be the top qb next year as they are going to be awful

Young isn’t  Josh Allen but he’s got a great arm and should go number 1 over all then again he is an Alabama QB and they don’t exactly make great pros see Mac Jones and Tua 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat

Joe Schoen has his work cut out for him and i expect will completely overhaul things this year the way that Beane did with getting out of bad contracts, and it will be worse before it gets better roster wise, but they have good draft capital. Fortunately since the Bills are in win now mode and have a good relationship with Schoen, might be able to do some trades. Also nfc/afc thing will help. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 10

So is there anyone we could use from their roster with regards to trades? With Beane/McDermott and Schoen/Daboll as the respective GM's/HC's I expect the Giants to become the new "Detroit Lions" for the Bills as we will probably play them in preseason every year. Probably have scrimmages against them leading up to the preseason game as well.

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Bradberry played for McDermott in Carolina in 2016 and Beane was there when he was drafted. It’s a big salary but perhaps could be restructured. If Levi walks (spotrac projecting 9 mill/yr and I just don’t think the Bills value him there) and Tre starts the year on PUP, our CB1 is Dane Jackson and then who… a rookie? Anyway, something to consider. 

Good topic, YOLO.  He should be reasonable from a pick/player compensation standpoint since he’s on the last year of his deal - especially if he wants out of NJ.  If so - and if the Bills would want him long term - then he’d be willing to agree to a new contract as part of the trade and something could get done.  He’s a very good, starting CB and we need one of those (at minimum). 

• Like (+1) 1

I’d expect the Bills and Giants to do some deals this off-season.  I’m sure Schoen values familiarity if he came from the McBeane tree.  

I wonder how highly Schoen values Edmunds?  I’d jump on a 2nd round offer.  Edmunds could be a nice building block for Giants.  Bills are at different stage and need a playmaker at that position to take next step.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I’d expect the Bills and Giants to do some deals this off-season.  I’m sure Schoen values familiarity if he came from the McBeane tree.  

I wonder how highly Schoen values Edmunds?  I’d jump on a 2nd round offer.  Edmunds could be a nice building block for Giants.  Bills are at different stage and need a playmaker at that position to take next step.  

We get it.

My God, do we get it! How could we avoid getting it when you folks relentlessly thread-nap again and again about your obsession.

Thing is, no matter how you feel about Edmunds, the Bills love him. Not to mention that the Giants are trying to cut salary and Edmunds will cost $13M this year. Probability roughly zero.

Anyway, Bradberry $13.4M seems unlikely to appeal to the Bills. They've generally tried to keep maybe one expensive good CB (even in Carolina) and keep costs down there outside of that guy. 

Yeah, they could re-structure, but it doesn't really fit their M.O.

I could be wrong, clearly, but I think they won't seriously consider him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Commence the "gutting"

That gift from Gettlemen that will keep on giving is the Golliday deal.  

Shepard cannot stay healthy - they should get rid of him.  He's good when he is, but he hasn't played a full season yet.

Engram is a glorified WR, he doesn't block.  Maybe a Cardinals/Bills style wide open offense would be better for him.

Saquan needs to be traded or he will perish further inside of a rebuild in his prime years.

Bradberry is primed to help a contender.  Damn you cap!!!!

24 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

A second round pick for edmunds?  ROFL.  Schoen would never be so kind.  Or stupid 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

35 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I can’t see them trading for Edmunds, they don’t be able to fit his 5th year option 

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

A second round pick for edmunds?  ROFL.  Schoen would never be so kind.  Or stupid 

Schoen was likely very involved in his draft evaluation 

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I can’t see them trading for Edmunds, they don’t be able to fit his 5th year option 

He likely was.  Hopefully he’s gone blind since he evaluated him.  

What many forget.  Daboll was not part of the tare down in Buffalo.  Mcdermott was able to isolate veteran leadership and remove those that didnt work or follow his way regardless of salary.  Beane was able to flip those players Mcdermott wanted out and piled assets to get Allen.  NYG are in a severely worse position than Buf was.  Idk what leadership is there and they have no cap to absorb the cap implications of removing the past contract mistakes. 

22 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They would have to do like Saquan for Edmunds...fifth year option for fifth year option. I don't want the Bills to pay a running back, but for one year at that price, it might work. 

I also think that Edmunds would excel inside or outside in a 3-4 defense like the one Patrick Graham is running. JMO

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Estro said:

The Giants top 4 cap hits heading into 2022 are:

Leonard Williams $27.3M

James Bradberry $21.9M

Kenny Golladay $21.1M

Adoree Jackson $15.3M

Absolutely brutal. The only player they can actually cut and save $$$ on is Bradberry, which is all but guaranteed given their cap situation (as the OP pointed out)

That Leonard Williams deal was a special kind of horrendous deal that Gettleman concocted.  

Looking a little further down the list I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants look to trade/cut Sterling Shepard.  Good player, but hurt a lot and they save $5M if cut.

At least Leonard Williams is a good player. Yes he is overpaid at that number and he isn't a "great" player but he is a good player. Bradberry, Golladay and Jackson are average players paid like great players. Sterling Shepard too. He isn't very good. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

At least Leonard Williams is a good player. Yes he is overpaid at that number and he isn't a "great" player but he is a good player. Bradberry, Golladay and Jackson are average players paid like great players. Sterling Shepard too. He isn't very good. 

Would Bradberry be better in McDermott defense?

leonard Williams would be a great addition to the DL plus we need more Williams 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

They would have to do like Saquan for Edmunds...fifth year option for fifth year option. I don't want the Bills to pay a running back, but for one year at that price, it might work. 

I also think that Edmunds would excel inside or outside in a 3-4 defense like the one Patrick Graham is running. JMO

I ain’t that high on Edmunds, but I do think he has more trade value than Saquan.  I wouldn’t do that trade.  It looks like there’s 6-7 ILB’s in this draft who could go in 1st 2 rounds.  I’d prefer to flip Edmunds for one of those guys.  I’d rather pay Fournette $5-6m than trade for Saquan.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Would Bradberry be better in McDermott defense?

leonard Williams would be a great addition to the DL plus we need more Williams 

Bradberry is a nice fit...he was up and down for McDermott. But that's a big cap number. If he is cut, 100% makes sense. Personally I prefer Donte Jackson because of the speed he brings. But Bradberry would be a good fit here imo

• Like (+1) 1

The Giants are in the same situation the Bills were in a few seasons ago of having a bloated cap number and wanting to "take their medicine" all in one season. Schoen is gonna do it just like Beane did it, which means an absolute blood letting.

I predict there's gonna be a HUGE exodus of players from the Giants' roster.

Whether and to what degree the Bills will be interested in any of them remains to be seen, but it's gonna be a blood bath.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Bradberry is a stud.  Not Tre level, next level down.  The Giants D was pretty good considering they had an offense that couldn't run/sustain drives/score.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, filthymcnasty08 said:

Bradberry is a stud.  Not Tre level, next level down.  The Giants D was pretty good considering they had an offense that couldn't run/sustain drives/score.  

Yea. I don't agree I'm afraid. I think he is a decent starting corner. If he is your #1 corner you should be looking for an upgrade. He is a good #2.  He had a career year his final season in Carolina and cashed in for a big payday. He gave up 8 touchdowns in coverage this year. Too many. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Joe Schoen has his work cut out for him and i expect will completely overhaul things this year the way that Beane did with getting out of bad contracts, and it will be worse before it gets better roster wise, but they have good draft capital. Fortunately since the Bills are in win now mode and have a good relationship with Schoen, might be able to do some trades. Also nfc/afc thing will help. 

Any team with a new GM will be looking to clean up their cap,  we need to look at all of these teams for trade candidates. Teams with new HCs may not be as likely as the ones with a new FO...

I can see where Beane may move the 1st but will hold the rest for depth and there are some underclassmen this year,  which should give a bit better draft depth...

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea. I don't agree I'm afraid. I think he is a decent starting corner. If he is your #1 corner you should be looking for an upgrade. He is a good #2.  He had a career year his final season in Carolina and cashed in for a big payday. He gave up 8 touchdowns in coverage this year. Too many. 

One question I would have...I honestly do not know...was it an issue of a different scheme? As in playing zone coverage in Carolina and a switch to man in NYG?

Not sure what the Giants run to be honest. Not absolving the 8TDs either. However maybe he's stronger zone than man?

50 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I mean if they need draft picks for their rebuild I would take Saquaon Barkley off their hands for a 4th

Truthfully, if the Bills are wanting to squire Barkley (and not saying the should or shouldn't) they may be able to snag him for a lot lower than a 4th. The Giants are trying to cut costs and may not even extend his contract after this year. Realistically I think he may ne able to be had for a late day 3 pick. Toss in a player like Moss that would be expendable and may need a fresh start. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Truthfully, if the Bills are wanting to squire Barkley (and not saying the should or shouldn't) they may be able to snag him for a lot lower than a 4th. The Giants are trying to cut costs and may not even extend his contract after this year. Realistically I think he may ne able to be had for a late day 3 pick. Toss in a player like Moss that would be expendable and may need a fresh start. 

I dont want a trade for a RB to be the main offseason move.  He would eat up alot of money.     Would he be open to an extension that is team friendly?  Idk.  

3 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I dont want a trade for a RB to be the main offseason move.  He would eat up alot of money.     Would he be open to an extension that is team friendly?  Idk.  

The main reason I would entertain a move for him...and again...not saying I would..

He would add a bit to the passing game as well. Also, coming off the injury it sometimes takes a full year to bounce back to normal. We would potentially have 1st crack at resigning a guy that flashes big play potential in both the pass and run games. Yes the 1 year price tag is high and he has had injury issues. Both big red flags. However if fully healed he could be an excellent back to combine with Motor. 

It could be very much like when we made a move for McCoy...if the initial investment is low enough at a late pick it may make sense for both sides

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

One question I would have...I honestly do not know...was it an issue of a different scheme? As in playing zone coverage in Carolina and a switch to man in NYG?

Not sure what the Giants run to be honest. Not absolving the 8TDs either. However maybe he's stronger zone than man?

He is better in zone. Patrick Graham's defense is a hybrid coverage scheme. They want, principally, to play a heavy dose of man but they backed off that a bit mid way through 2021. Bradberry only gave up 2 TDs in the last 7 games so it is fair to say that helped him. I just think he had a career year in Carolina in 2018. It happens. Players who are kind of above average starters suddenly have great years. 

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’ll also take the punter and Rudolph 

Bradberry would be great just don’t know if we can fit him in our cap. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.